Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Scion Garage Fest 2010

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 30, 2010 9:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rachel, everyone will be very friendly and polite to you, but if you get a rental car just know that people drive like shit here. Also take I-70 to Lawrence, not 435, and make sure you get off at the West Lawrence exit.don't know if we will be at rooftop vigilates or sexbeet first, but will post again later today.

Rachel said:
      Anyone that wants to meet up, let me know. I'm coming from from NYC and I'm not sure what to expect (from the city/people not bands)!!! Also, any after parties?
    • September 30, 2010 12:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anyone that wants to meet up, let me know. I'm coming from from NYC and I'm not sure what to expect (from the city/people not bands)!!! Also, any after parties?
    • September 29, 2010 5:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

2720 Cherokee - never been there. I might be able to swing that. Thanks for the heads up, Ryan. Keep me in mind if there are other regional fests in the future that you're debating about. With a little forethought, I can get involved. This one snuck up on me since I was entangled with the Shanks tour/Gonerfest.
    • September 29, 2010 4:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Dave, KK/Shrines along w/ Gentlemen Jesse will be playing St. Louis Sunday night. Maybe you can catch them then?

DammitDave said:
      I know several people who have lived in Lawrence and testify to it's coolness. I'd love to go to this but can't due to circumstances. I missed seeing the Lamps and Thee Oh Sees at Goner and would like to catch Tyvek and KK & the Shrines. I got the fever but I'm quarantined.
    • September 29, 2010 3:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know several people who have lived in Lawrence and testify to its coolness. I'd love to go to this but can't due to circumstances. I missed seeing the Lamps and Thee Oh Sees at Goner and would like to catch Tyvek and KK & the Shrines. I got the fever but I'm quarantined.
    • September 27, 2010 4:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Interesting. Yeah, that probably means they had a lot of RSVPs that didn't pick up their wristbands. Sara said:
      I just saw that they were re-opening the RSVP process. Does this mean that the number of RSVPs hasn't surpassed expectations yet? Or is this standard procedure for Scion? I RSVPed for Portland last year but ended up not going.... See you all in a few days!!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• September 27, 2010 3:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just saw that they were re-opening the RSVP process. Does this mean that the number of RSVPs hasn't surpassed expectations yet? Or is this standard procedure for Scion? I RSVPed for Portland last year but ended up not going.... See you all in a few days!!
    • September 27, 2010 2:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Right On Mathew, Looks like you are coming all the way from Norfolk, NE. Far Out! Matthew Nykodym said:
      I will be attending both days and on the day of Garagefest be wearing a bright orange shirt that says "CREEP" on it so say hello if you see me.
    • September 27, 2010 12:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I will be attending both days and on the day of Garagefest be wearing a bright orange shirt that says "CREEP" on it so say hello if you see me.
    • September 27, 2010 11:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds good! My thought is that since this festival is indeed FREE, a bunch of folks most likely signed up not knowing if they were really going to make it or not. I'm curious to see how many people actually picked up the wristbands and show up. If we do need to stay in one place though, which one should it be?

kopper said:
      You'll be pleasantly surprised, Ryan. Lawrence is a VERY cool town. Also very liberal, too. Not only because it's a college town, but because of its history (read up on Quantrill's raiders and the Lawrence Massacre some day). Ever since then, Lawrence was an oasis for free thought (William S. Burroughs lived there, after all). Gina and I loved living there. Only moved away due to job situations. I'd move back in a heartbeat.
      Ruby, shoot me a message and I'll send you our cell numbers.
      Ryan Katastrophe said:
      Yeah, I don't have that fancy stuff on my phone. Would you guys think there is a good chance that things won't be that crazy as far as attendance is concerned? I don't know shit about Kansas, but I have pre-conceived notions hahaha.
    • September 27, 2010 11:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You'll be pleasantly surprised, Ryan. Lawrence is a VERY cool town. Also very liberal, too. Not only because it's a college town, but because of its history (read up on Quantrill's raiders and the Lawrence Massacre some day). Ever since then, Lawrence was an oasis for free thought (William S. Burroughs lived there, after all). Gina and I loved living there. Only moved away due to job situations. I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Ruby, shoot me a message and I'll send you our cell numbers.

Ryan Katastrophe said:
      Yeah, I don't have that fancy stuff on my phone. Would you guys think there is a good chance that things won't be that crazy as far as attendance is concerned? I don't know shit about Kansas, but I have pre-conceived notions hahaha.

• September 27, 2010 8:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know, it wasn't well publicized around here. So, unless they allow people to buy bracelets at the will call table, or the bars decide to let people without bracelets in, it might not be that packed.
    • September 26, 2010 5:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I don't have that fancy stuff on my phone. Would you guys think there is a good chance that things won't be that crazy as far as attendance is concerned? I don't know shit about Kansas, but I have pre-conceived notions hahaha. kopper said:
      Well, I have Twitter, but I don't have any kind of data plan on my phone (it's an older one... a dumbphone) so I won't be using text messages or Twitter that day. I'll be with Ryan Katastrophe and one other friend, though, and Ryan might. I'll have to ask him. He uses Twitter, too, but I don't think he's ever tweeted from his phone, either.

Ruby Soleil said:
      That's why we need a plan to communicate. Well, you can see the granada and the jackpot from one another so you would know if one has a line and the other doesn't. This is the one time where I hope a small town draws a small town crowd. Still excited though, and the not starting on time could benefit us. kopper said:
      Good question... no idea.

Heh. Anyone else feel like you're going into this not knowing exactly WHAT to expect? Recordgrooves said:
      You're right.

But that is just wishful drunk thinking on my part. So how many tix were given out to this anyways?

kopper said:
      That's not gonna work, man.
    • September 22, 2010 9:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

could we exchange numbers the Thursday before, that way we could call or text each other during the fest? btw, Kopper I think we have a friend in common, Mark Whiteman, and if you went to his wedding awhile back then we've met once before.

kopper said:
      Well, I have Twitter, but I don't have any kind of data plan on my phone (it's an older one... a dumbphone) so I won't be using text messages or Twitter that day. I'll be with Ryan Katastrophe and one other friend, though, and Ryan might. I'll have to ask him. He uses Twitter, too, but I don't think he's ever tweeted from his phone, either.

Ruby Soleil said:
      That's why we need a plan to communicate. Well, you can see the granada and the jackpot from one another so you would know if one has a line and the other doesn't. This is the one time where I hope a small town draws a small town crowd. Still excited though, and the not starting on time could benefit us. kopper said:

Heh. Anyone else feel like you're going into this not knowing exactly WHAT to expect? Recordgrooves said:
      You're right.

But that is just wishful drunk thinking on my part. So how many tix were given out to this anyways?

kopper said:
      I doubt that's not gonna work, man.
    • September 22, 2010 9:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ruby Soleil said:

You're right.

kopper said:

• September 22, 2010 9:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's why we need a plan to communicate. Well, you can see the granada and the jackpot from one another so you would know if one has a line and the other doesn't. This is the one time where I hope a small town draws a small town crowd. Still excited though, and the not starting on time could benefit us.

kopper said:

Heh. Anyone else feel like you're going into this not knowing exactly WHAT to expect?

Recordgrooves said:
      You're right.

But that is just wishful drunk thinking on my part.

So how many tix were given out to this anyways?

kopper said:
    • September 22, 2010 7:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Heh. Anyone else feel like you're going into this not knowing exactly WHAT to expect?

Recordgrooves said:
      You're right.

kopper said:

• September 21, 2010 10:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're right.

kopper said:
    • September 21, 2010 9:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I doubt that's not gonna work, man. Each venue will have lines out the door. Your plan to leave and jump from one venue to the other will mean you'll have to wait in those lines and risk missing an entire band's set. So you'll be spending most of your time running between venues and standing in lines than actually seeing the bands... and this is regardless of the fact that, well, this is live rock'n'roll, and when has a live rock'n'roll show EVER gone according to schedule right down to the minute? I'm speaking as a long-time showgoer as well as a promoter. Shows start late, bands play too long, take too long to changeover, sets get cut short, etc. Again, if this were all happening at one venue it wouldn't be such a big deal, but we're talking about a couple dozen bands at FOUR different venues... those scheduled times need to be taken with a huge grain of salt. And how these things work is to gain entrance at any other venue you'll have to wait until someone leaves... with free shows they'll be at capacity all day long. I just don't see it happening. So I'm planning on picking ONE venue to go to and stay there all day.

Unless someone can prove to me that I'm full of shit and that what I just wrote won't be the case at all. Anyone?

Recordgrooves said:
      Alright, here is my plan of attack, but as Kopper stated it does not look to promising to catch one band to the next. : ( _________________________________________________________________________________

Jackpot Music Hall 4:20 - 4:50 Sex Beet

Granada Theatre 4:40 - 5:10 Natural Child

Jackpot Music Hall 5:10 - 5:30 White Wires

Bottleneck 5:20 - 5:50 Nodzzz

Jackpot Music Hall 6:00 - 6:30 Teenager

Granada Theatre 6:20 - 7:00 Cloud Nothings

Granada Theatre 7:30 - 8:10 Digital Leather

The Bottleneck 8:00 - 8:45 Tyvek

Granada Theatre 8:40 - 9:25 Hunx and His Punx

Bottleneck 9:15 - 10:00 Thee Oh Sees

Jackpot Music Hall 10:00 - 11:00 The Gories

Granada Theatre 11:30 - 12:30 The Oblivians

(If you know the KK & Shrines tour dates you'll know why I didn't put them down on my list)

kopper said:
      I'm still going, but I'm definitely a lot LESS enthused about this than I was originally. While there are a ton of great bands playing (and, hell, it's FREE), the thing is, you're not going to see most of them. Take the headliners at each venue as an example... you'll be able to catch one, but that's it. No way you're going to be able to leave, say, King Khan and get in to see the Oblivians. It just ain't happenin'. Same w/ the Gories. Go to see them and then leave and try to get in at the Granada or Liberty Hall for one of the other shows? Good luck!
      But even so, it's FREE, and I'm sure it'll be fun just to be hanging around downtown Larryville with all the garage freaks and bands and stuff. Should be pretty wild.

• September 21, 2010 4:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alright, here is my plan of attack, but as Kopper stated it does not look to promising to catch one band to the next.

: (
      _________________________________________________________________________________

Jackpot Music Hall 4:20 - 4:50 Sex Beet

Granada Theatre 4:40 - 5:10 Natural Child

Jackpot Music Hall 5:10 - 5:30 White Wires

Bottleneck 5:20 - 5:50 Nodzzz

Jackpot Music Hall 6:00 - 6:30 Teenager

Granada Theatre 6:20 - 7:00 Cloud Nothings

Granada Theatre 7:30 - 8:10 Digital Leather

The Bottleneck 8:00 - 8:45 Tyvek

Granada Theatre 8:40 - 9:25 Hunx and His Punx

Bottleneck 9:15 - 10:00 Thee Oh Sees

Jackpot Music Hall 10:00 - 11:00 The Gories

Granada Theatre 11:30 - 12:30 The Oblivians

(If you know the KK & Shrines tour dates you'll know why I didn't put them down on my list)

• September 21, 2010 4:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ahh, I was gonna say it, but never mind... Kauri V said:
      THis makes me wish I lived in Kansas
    • September 21, 2010 3:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THis makes me wish I lived in Kansas
    • September 21, 2010 2:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

True, but after this week I won't have a data plan on my phone anymore :( so I will be at the mercy of those who would be willing to text Recordgrooves said:
      That is where twitter would be a benefit.

Ruby Soleil said:
      Those of us who are going should all friend one another, exchange phone numbers so that we can text each other at the fest. That way we would know in advance of walking over whether or not we stood a chance at gaining entry. What do you guys think?
    • September 21, 2010 1:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That is where twitter would be a benefit. Ruby Soleil said:
      Those of us who are going should all friend one another, exchange phone numbers so that we can text each other at the fest. That way we would know in advance of walking over whether or not we stood a chance at gaining entry. What do you guys think?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel