Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Scion Garage Fest 2010

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 21, 2010 12:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Those of us who are going should all friend one another, exchange phone numbers so that we can text each other at the fest. That way we would know in advance of walking over whether or not we stood a chance at gaining entry. What do you guys think?
    • September 21, 2010 10:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm still going, but I'm definitely a lot LESS enthused about this than I was originally. While there are a ton of great bands playing (and, hell, it's FREE), the thing is, you're not going to see most of them. Take the headliners at each venue as an example... you'll be able to catch one, but that might be it. No way you're going to be able to leave, say, King Khan and get in to see the Oblivians. It just ain't happenin'. Same w/ the Gories. Go to see them and then leave and try to get in at the Granada or Liberty Hall for one of the other shows? Good luck!

But even so, it's FREE, and I'm sure it'll be fun just to be hanging around downtown Larryville with all the garage freaks and bands and stuff. Should be pretty wild.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• September 21, 2010 6:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WOW!! Great lineup. Won't make it there but WOW!!!!!!!!!! kopper said:
      Yeah, my wife and I used to live in Lawrence. I miss that town!

How did they handle the free admission thing last year in Portland? I'm just curious how they're going to make this work w/ free admission and a ton of bands all playing on the same day...

Alex Patton said:
      God Damn! I went to last years in Portland and it was a real good time. Lawrence KS is a cool town too.
    • September 19, 2010 7:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If anyone drifts into Lawrence a night early looking for something to do, The Replay is hosting a rockin' pre-party. Not that anyone here is into, y;know, going to rock shows or anything, heh heh.
    • September 17, 2010 3:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I dig so many bands on here, but all in one day at 4 venues is kind of ridiculous. Been to some of the Scion events in Brooklyn and even that seemed a tad disorganized... the staff didn't really seem to know what they were doing. I'm a crotchety old lady though. Grab some of those Scion socks if they have them, they're good socks.
    • September 17, 2010 11:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Jackpot's tiny, smaller than the Bottleneck. If anyone wants to see the Gories you will have to camp there well before hand no matter what the attendance is like or what it was like last year in Portland. Anyway, it will be fun, can't wait! kopper said:
      Yeah, man... it's the same as Off Broadway here in St. Louis. That's actually an all-ages venue, too, but they only promote shows there as 18 & up, mainly to keep it from getting overcrowded with kids. But if you ever wanted to go see a show there and take your son, you'd be able to get him in.

Recordgrooves said:
      Scion website now says that the Jackpot is all ages, didn't it use to state that it was 18+up before?

http://www.scion.com/garagefest/index.html

Anyone know whats up with that?
    • September 17, 2010 10:59 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, man... it's the same as Off Broadway here in St. Louis. That's actually an all-ages venue, too, but they only promote shows there as 18 & up, mainly to keep it from getting overcrowded with kids. But if you ever wanted to go see a show there and take your son, you'd be able to get him in. Recordgrooves said:
      Scion website now says that the Jackpot is all ages, didn't it use to state that it was 18+up before?

http://www.scion.com/garagefest/index.html

Anyone know whats up with that?

• September 17, 2010 10:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Man, good question! Anyone know how easy it will be to navigate from one venue to the other? Will there be long lines for each all night? I'd just hate to leave one venue, expecting to go see another band at one of the others, only to get stuck in line and miss half the set. Know what I'm sayin'? So it'd be cool to hear from anyone who saw last year's fest in Portland to get an idea of how to attempt this without missing too much action.

• September 16, 2010 10:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What will be your picks?

LIBERTY HALL
      (644 Massachusetts St., All Ages)
      4:00 - 4:40pm Rooftop Vigilantes
      5:00 - 5:40pm Gentleman Jesse and His Men
      6:00 - 6:45pm Times New Viking
      7:15 - 8:00pm Best Coast
      8:30 - 9:15pm The Ponys
      9:45 - 10:30pm The Greenhornes
      11:00 - 12:00pm The Raveonettes

GRANADA THEATRE
      (1020 Massachusetts St., All Ages)
      4:40 - 5:10pm Natural Child
      5:30 - 6:00pm Garotas Suecas
      6:20 - 7:00pm Cloud Nothings
      7:30 - 8:10pm Digital Leather
      8:40 - 9:25pm Hunx and His Punx
      9:55 - 10:50pm The Clean
      11:30 - 12:30pm The Oblivians

THE BOTTLENECK
      (737 New Hampshire St., All Ages)
      4:30 - 5:00pm Bad Sports
      5:20 - 5:50pm Nodzzz
      6:10 - 6:40pm Gaye Blades
      7:00 - 7:40pm The Lamps
      8:00 - 8:45pm Tyvek
      9:15 - 10:00pm Thee Oh Sees
      10:30 - 11:30pm King Khan & The Shrines (featuring Gino Washington)

JACKPOT MUSIC HALL
      (943 Massachusetts St., 18+)
      4:20 - 4:50pm Sex Beet
      5:10 - 5:40pm White Wires
      6:00 - 6:30pm Teenanger
      6:50 - 7:30pm Cola Freaks
      7:50 - 8:30pm Human Eye
      9:00 - 9:30pm Happy Birthday
      10:00 - 11:00pm The Gories
    • September 16, 2010 4:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It doesn't matter, basically ABC can inspect bars at any time so it's no big thing for a bar to have 18 and over shows one night and be 21 and over on another. They will check your id at the door and if you're not 21 then they will put an additional bracelet on you so that the bartenders and wait staff won't serve you. Jackpot is a hole in the wall, but I love it anyway, tin ceiling, velvet wall paper and all. So, be sure to stop by, the bar keeps are awesome, especially if you tip high on the first round. Recordgrooves said:
      http://www.scion.com/garagefest/index.html Anyone know whats up with that?
    • September 16, 2010 11:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey everyone, just picked up my wristbands, and the schedule, which should be updated on the website by now. FYI when driving into Lawrence on I70 please be aware that the Lawrence east exit is closed from both the east and the west. Use the Lawrence west exit, or the Lawrence/Lecompton exit. I recommend using the west exit. If you are driving in on I70 from the west and you miss the Lawrence west exit then hello Kansas City!
      For those of you driving in on I70 from the east: due to construction I70 goes down to one lane each way shortly after Bonner Springs in addition to the east exit being closed.
      Well, this will probably mean nothing to everyone save Kopper, but at least I tried. Most important thing: if your directions have you getting off at the east exit get new directions from I70 getting off at the Lawrence west exit instead.
    • August 15, 2010 5:52 PM CDT
    • Untitled

King Khan & The Shrines...nice!
    • August 14, 2010 10:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Watch out for the Jayhawk. It's a residence motel populated by meth cookers. Cops are there almost every night, and folks get stabbed there alot. kopper said:
      The Jayhawk Motel doesn't take reservations (it's first come, first served), and only allow two people per room. Just an FYI.

Roy Anderson said:
      Hotels/Motels are booking up fast for that weekend due to a NASCAR race at the Kansas Speedway. Hurry up and book your rooms. Rodeway Inn has 30 rooms left @ $99.00 a night with a 2 night minimum reservation. The Jayhawk Motel has just 3 rooms left @ $45.00 a night.
    • August 13, 2010 10:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just RSVPee'd my 4 tix for myself (of course), my Wife, + my 10 & 13 yr old daughters.
    • August 13, 2010 10:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Motel 6 is really close to the Jayhawk Motel and has about 20 rooms left. I'm about to reserve one of them. For 4 adults, the rate is $86.99 plus tax.

Motel 6 Lawrence, KS
      1130 N 3rd St, Lawrence, KS 66044
      (785) 749-4040

• August 13, 2010 10:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Jayhawk Motel doesn't take reservations (it's first come, first served), and only allow two people per room. Just an FYI. Roy Anderson said:
      Hotels/Motels are booking up fast for that weekend due to a NASCAR race at the Kansas Speedway. Hurry up and book your rooms. Rodeway Inn has 30 rooms left @ $99.00 a night with a 2 night minimum reservation. The Jayhawk Motel has just 3 rooms left @ $45.00 a night.

• August 10, 2010 9:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's an after party-- and a before-party, and a during party... Lots of local garage acts playing ongoing free shows all day long. The Replay Lounge is hosting a few: FAG COP, SPOOK LIGHTS, WEIRD WOUNDS, and more... And after the fest gets out, we've got some houses on standby for even more bands. Just trying to keep the town as packed with music as possible so there's something for everyone, everywhere. Ruby Soleil said:
      don't sweat the rooms, someone will be having an afterparty :)
    • August 10, 2010 3:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

NASCAR will seriously kick any rock fest to the curb in a hurry. Roy Anderson said:
    • August 10, 2010 2:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

don't sweat the rooms, someone will be having an afterparty :)
    • August 10, 2010 10:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recommend the Rodeway Inn (785) 841-8410 or the Hampton Inn (785) 841-4994 kopper said:
      Anyone know where in town this is going to be held? And what about hotels? Where is everyone staying? I'm looking to share a room with three other guys from St. Louis so it doesn't have to be really cheap... splitting it four ways will keep it cheap enough for each of us.
    • August 10, 2010 8:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

KANSAS????
    • August 10, 2010 7:50 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anyone know where in town this is going to be held? And what about hotels? Where is everyone staying? I'm looking to share a room with three other guys from St. Louis so it doesn't have to be really cheap... splitting it four ways will keep it cheap enough for each of us.

• August 9, 2010 12:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's the tough part, but it also eases the overcrowding a lot. SlimESQ said:
      Yeah that is another killer lineup and free is rad but it all goes down in one day? I feel like you'd have to make some tough choices

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel