Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Honorable mentions...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 4, 2010 2:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's an addendum to my list of favorite albums from the past 10 years. These were good albums, if not great albums.

(1) "Rock's Not Dead" by the Marbles (1999) - This was the band that later became Manda and the Marbles, and this was their hastily recorded but still excellent debut. Favorite tracks: "No Direction," "Reputation," "Do You Know," and the title track.

(2) "Seduction" by Manda and the Marbles (2000) - This was their first full length album, so "More Seduction" is basically a remixed version with additional tracks. This one includes some forgotten gems, "Stuck Here" and "Too Much."

(3) "James at 35" by the Breakup Society (2004) - A great local power pop band with a strong Kinks' influence in their sound. I'm mentioning them because they were hoping to get some airplay on the Underground Garage, but it never happened.

(4) “Do You Swing” by the Fleshtones (2003) – This band really is a one trick pony, but this album stood out a little bit more for me than others. Favorite tracks: The title track and “I’m Back Again.”

(5) "Bazooka" by the Star Spangles (2003) - A good debut by a solid band, if nothing spectacular. Favorite track: "I Don't Wanna Be Crazy Anymore."

(6) "Turn 21" by the Donnas (2001) - I love how the Donnas stole the bass line for the opening track, "Are You Gonna Move It for Me?" from "Plaster Caster" by KISS. I also like their cover of "Living After Midnight" by Judas Priest.

(7) "Coming Now" by the Fondas (2003) - I love the opening track, "Yeah, Baby." The rest is OK, but nothing spectacular.

(8) "Ko and the Knockouts" (2002) - My favorite track on this one is "If I." The rest of it is pretty cool too. I also like their cover of the Birds' "You're on my Mind."

(9) "Gold Medal" by the Donnas (2004) - A lot of people didn't like this one because it wasn't hard rocking enough, but I thought the Donnas showed some growth with lyrics that were a little darker this time around. Favorite track: "Fall Behind Me."

(10) "Kiss and Tell" by the Sahara Hotnights (2004) - Quite honestly, this album is rather spotty, but it does include some great tracks, namely "Who Do You Dance For?" and "Hot Night Crash."

(11) "Victory Motel" by the Downbeat Five (2005) - Sadly, I just found out this one is out of print, but at least you can still download it. I love their cover of "Dum Dum Ditty."

(12) "Heels and Wheels" by the High School Sweethearts (2005) - This was the last Get Hip band that I heard on the Underground Garage before the label ended up on "the list." Cool album all the way through, but I especially liked "Cherry Hi-Way," "Satellite City," and the title track, along with their garagey version of "Moonage Daydream" from Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" album.

(13) "Monkey Time" by the Maggots (2006) - Another solid effort by a good band. I especially like "Ain't Nothing but a Maggot," "Temptation," "You Don't Want Me," "Tomato Juice" and "King of the Freaks."

(14) "Mindbending Sounds of the Chesterfield Kings" (2002) - A good album, but not as dynamic as the follow-up, "Psychedelic Sunrise." I love the first two tracks, "I Don't Understand" and "Somewhere, Nowhere," along with their "Jumpin' Jack Flash" rip-off, "Flashback."

(15) "Mastermind" by the Cocktail Slippers (2004) - A good follow-up to their debut, and I especially like "Who You Are," which has a similar dynamic to "Simple Things" by Manda and the Marbles. It still annoys me that I paid full price for an import copy; how was I supposed to know it would get re-released on Wicked Cool, where I could have bought it for $9.99?

(16) "Permission to Land" by the Darkness (2003) - Yes, I know a lot of people hate the Darkness because they just can't see the humor in what they're doing, but I still like this debut. Favorite tracks: "Get Your Hands Off My Woman," "Growing on Me," "I Believe in a Thing Called Love," and "Friday Night."

(17) "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" soundtrack (2001) - Did anyone here see this movie? It's the greatest glam rock musical since "Rocky Horror," and the soundtrack is just as great. Favorite tracks: "Tear Me Down," "Origin of Love," "Wicked Little Town (Tommy Gnosis version)," "Wig in a Box," "Midnight Radio," and "In Your Arms Tonight."

(18) "Code Fun" by the Black Tie Revue (2007) - Good power pop band, and I'm glad that at least one Pittsburgh band is getting some airplay on the Underground Garage. My favorite is the title track.

(19) "Chop You Up" by the Forbidden Five (2007) - A very cool mix of garage, surf and rockabilly, strewn with B horror movie lyrics. My favorite is also the title track.

(20) "Whatever Rhymes with Baby" by the Yum Yums (2008) - A hard hitting slice of power pop. My favorite track is "Earthquake Song," even though it’s actually sung by the Little Girls, a new wave band from the 80s.

(21) "The World Famous Hat Trick" by Vibeke Saugestad (2008) - A more sugar coated piece of power pop. My favorite track is "He's Peculiar."

(22) "Patio a Go Go" by the Sugar Twins (1999) - This is a silly novelty act that does a lounge version of a 60s girl group, but it's still a lot of fun. Favorite tracks: The title track, "Ski Bunny," and "For You."

(23) "Here We Are" by the Cynics (2007) - A lot of people didn't like this album because it was a departure from the band's usual approach, but I commend them for trying something different. The title track is my favorite, because I like to hear Michael Kastelic actually singing, as opposed to his usual caterwauling.

(24) "DFFD" by the Dictators (2001) - Not really a great album, but I love the opening track, "Who Will Save Rock'n'Roll?" This was released the year before the launch of the Underground Garage, so it almost feels as if Little Steven answers the question asked by the opening track.
    • August 12, 2010 7:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not on any mailing lists anymore and I hardly look at myspace bulletins since all I can think is "there's another thing I can't afford to buy". There's really not a lot of newer Cynics songs on their myspace page.
    • August 12, 2010 7:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Aren't you on the Get Hip mailing list? I'm surprised you didn't hear about the release of "Here We Are."
    • August 11, 2010 10:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I thought it was a really good movie, but I wish there'd been an extra half hour to it making it a little clearer.

I really need to catch up on the 2000's it looks like. I didn't even know about the Cynics album you mentioned.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel