Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any glam rock fans around here?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 31, 2012 8:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

A friend just pointed that out.  And another friend from MBR says "this is my pal phil king's project! he's responsible for most of the cool junk shop glam comps that have come out in the past few years. he also produced the jesse hector film i was featured in. he writes for a lot of london rock mags and now plays bass for jesus & mary chain. i'm planning on having him on the show in sept. when the band is in town."

Matt said:

Anybody heard about this glam book from the Singsing people - Wired Up? http://www.wiredupbook.com/#!home/mainPage Comes with a Hector 45 re-ish. Been looking forward to this for a while.

• July 31, 2012 8:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Anybody heard about this glam book from the Singsing people - Wired Up? http://www.wiredupbook.com/#!home/mainPage Comes with a Hector 45 re-ish. Been looking forward to this for a while.

• July 31, 2012 5:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Have never seen that name on the various junkshop glam comps.  Some of it reminds me of Mott, not bad.

Daniel M said:

It's hard to keep track of what has been mentioned so far, but the latest Permanent Records email update lists a reissue of an LP by Metz (1974 band from Texas, not the current noise rock band):

• July 30, 2012 9:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's hard to keep track of what has been mentioned so far, but the latest Permanent Records email update lists a reissue of an LP by Metz (1974 band from Texas, not the current noise rock band):

• July 29, 2012 12:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I did hear they were very good , but , that  the usual chaos ensued between Michael and Andy. I heard , at one gig in Finland , they started screaming at each other, in Finnish , on stage , and Andy marched off , not to return, and the other Guitarist had to hold the show. I saw Andy , twice , playing guitar with Iggy. He really gave Iggy that spark. He'd let loose with some wild fretwork , and Iggy would try to match him , dancing. I have the two Hanoi Rocks CD , AND AN EP , from the revamped lineup. They're not bad and they're not great.

But , yeah , that Dolls/ Poison / Crue abomination , I urged people not to go , and it did'nt take much doing. It's too bad The Dolls lost Steve and Sam , because I thought they added a LOT , but, they add even more to Michael's band. I'd seen Michael in...'90 , I think , and last years' show was so much better , it's not even funny. The previous show was good , drunk , bumbling Slash cameo and all , but , there's no comparison. Monroe is on top of his game , which is really good to see.

The Fnords said:

I've seen Hanoi Rocks, both way back when and more recently. I also happened to be in Finland in 2001 when Mike Monroe and Andy McCoy played at a festival to test the water as to the reception Hanoi would receive (didn't go - I was motor racing instead). My friends translated the (glowing) reviews for me!

D.

• July 27, 2012 12:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Hey Andrea, of course I "know you from around Boston" haha. Giuda was supposed to be Sun. which is only a hair better than Mon. but I have high hopes that it's worth going out early in the week. Unnatural Axe is on the bill and I'm not sure who else. That record is pretty darn good.

ZantiMissKnit said:

Joanie,

Hey, Andrea here (you know me from around Boston).  Thanks for posting about this.  I've seen the name Giuda bandied about but hadn't located anything about them yet.  This is some great stuff!  Shame they are playing on a Monday night, but I still may have to go check it out.

Joanie Lindstrom said:

For those of you who want to see someone new sounding like the heyday of upbeat rocking glam, check out Giuda from Italy doing a short tour in Sept.

http://terminal-boredom.com/forums/index.php?topic=35390.0

Should be good.

• July 26, 2012 12:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've seen Hanoi Rocks, both way back when and more recently. I also happened to be in Finland in 2001 when Mike Monroe and Andy McCoy played at a festival to test the water as to the reception Hanoi would receive (didn't go - I was motor racing instead). My friends translated the (glowing) reviews for me!

D.

• July 26, 2012 9:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joanie,

Hey, Andrea here (you know me from around Boston).  Thanks for posting about this.  I've seen the name Giuda bandied about but hadn't located anything about them yet.  This is some great stuff!  Shame they are playing on a Monday night, but I still may have to go check it out.

Joanie Lindstrom said:

For those of you who want to see someone new sounding like the heyday of upbeat rocking glam, check out Giuda from Italy doing a short tour in Sept.

Should be good.

• July 26, 2012 5:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Coincidentally, I'm going to open my show with Michael Monroe today (10AM Boston time http://wmbr.org) and was hoping they'd tour again.  Saw them last Oct. and it was really good. Looks like they've just been playing in Scandinavia for a while, doesn't he live in LA now? Hopefully they'll come back in the not too distant future.

And Matt, if you come down to Boston to see Giuda, let me know.

Duke Of Earl said:

yES! I didnt like the news that dolls were playing with motley crue. Infact it flat out bugged and i refused to go. Now Im glad members split off and joined back in Hanoi. Need to hear when I can see that tour now. 

John Battles said:

tHAT'S VERY COOL , THAT YOU GOT TO SEE HANOI ROCKS IN THEIR PRIME. A STILL - MISUNDERSTOOD BAND. AMERICANS TENDED TO CLASSIFY 'EM AS "METAL". I did'nt get that , either......I almost got to see them , I wanted to , on the strength of 'Malibu Beach Nightmare " , but the show was cancelled , of course , following Razzle's death. But , Sam Yaffa and Steve Conte left the latter - day Dolls to join Michael Monroes's band , after Yaffa refused to tour with Motley Crue  , and most of you know why. End result , Monroe is now fronting an ass- whoopin' band that deserves to bear the Hanoi Rocks name , but , does'nt.

• July 26, 2012 12:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yES! I didnt like the news that dolls were playing with motley crue. Infact it flat out bugged and i refused to go. Now Im glad members split off and joined back in Hanoi. Need to hear when I can see that tour now. 

John Battles said:

tHAT'S VERY COOL , THAT YOU GOT TO SEE HANOI ROCKS IN THEIR PRIME. A STILL - MISUNDERSTOOD BAND. AMERICANS TENDED TO CLASSIFY 'EM AS "METAL". I did'nt get that , either......I almost got to see them , I wanted to , on the strength of 'Malibu Beach Nightmare " , but the show was cancelled , of course , following Razzle's death. But , Sam Yaffa and Steve Conte left the latter - day Dolls to join Michael Monroes's band , after Yaffa refused to tour with Motley Crue  , and most of you know why. End result , Monroe is now fronting an ass- whoopin' band that deserves to bear the Hanoi Rocks name , but , does'nt.

Nero said:

It actually worries me that I can remember this kind of stuff, but I have a feeling that the short-lived band you're thinking of was called Shooting Gallery. Think it was Andy McCoy, Tregunna, the singer was a guy called Billy Bang (? okay, I might have made that bit up), and Jo Dog from Dogs D'Amour was in them for a bit, too. Never heard them or saw them live, so quite why I remember this trivia is beyond me. Probably because I was a big Hanoi Rocks fan, saw them a couple of times in their prime, once at the Electric Ballroom in Camden with a band called Ligotage supporting, whose singer was Beki Bondage from Vice Squad, who were pursuing a similar punk/glam sound.

I guess glam is at the root of it all for me, growing up in Seventies Britain. 'Blockbuster' and 'Hellraiser' by the Sweet were my first two 45s, and seeing Bowie in Top Of The Pops doing 'Starman' left an indelible impression. Funny, though, how bands like Sweet and Slade get referred to as 'bricklayers in eyeshadow' by the early punks (I'm thinking of people like Siouxsie, here), unlike the artier Bowie and Roxy Music.  

John Battles said:

PROBABLY. tHE ONLY PEOPLE i'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM HAD LIVED IN FINLAND. Andy had , or has , a dysfunctional Rock 'n'Roll "Reality TV' show , liek the Osbournes and The $immon$  family.     I saw Andy twice in '88 WITH iGGY pOP , BUT , i THINK THAT'S THE ONLY U.S TOUR HE'S DONE SINCE THE ABORTIVE AND POORLY PROMOTED US TOUR WHICH ENDED , AS I'M SURE YOU ALL KNOW , IN DRUMMER , RAZZLE'S DEATH WITH VINCE NEAL AT THE WHEEL (HE COULD'NT HAVE SENT OUT FOR BEER?). NO , WAIT , THERE WAS ANOTHER BAND. I FORGET THEIR NAME. HIM , DAVE TREGUNNA OR Kenny Laguna, THE GUY FROM lORDS AND sHAM 69. MAYBE NASTY SUICIDE , TOO? They were at China Club , and I refused to go there.

Duke Of Earl said:

I heard 2 pelle albums but never the one with Andy Mccoy. Apparently they were finnish only releases. 

The Fnords said:

Pelle Miljoona was Andy McCoy's best-known pre-Hanoi Rocks band; I've none of their records though. D.

• July 25, 2012 11:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nero said:

It actually worries me that I can remember this kind of stuff, but I have a feeling that the short-lived band you're thinking of was called Shooting Gallery. Think it was Andy McCoy, Tregunna, the singer was a guy called Billy Bang (? okay, I might have made that bit up), and Jo Dog from Dogs D'Amour was in them for a bit, too. Never heard them or saw them live, so quite why I remember this trivia is beyond me. Probably because I was a big Hanoi Rocks fan, saw them a couple of times in their prime, once at the Electric Ballroom in Camden with a band called Ligotage supporting, whose singer was Beki Bondage from Vice Squad, who were pursuing a similar punk/glam sound.

I guess glam is at the root of it all for me, growing up in Seventies Britain. 'Blockbuster' and 'Hellraiser' by the Sweet were my first two 45s, and seeing Bowie in Top Of The Pops doing 'Starman' left an indelible impression. Funny, though, how bands like Sweet and Slade get referred to as 'bricklayers in eyeshadow' by the early punks (I'm thinking of people like Siouxsie, here), unlike the artier Bowie and Roxy Music.  

John Battles said:

PROBABLY. tHE ONLY PEOPLE i'VE HEARD TALK ABOUT THEM HAD LIVED IN FINLAND. Andy had , or has , a dysfunctional Rock 'n'Roll "Reality TV' show , liek the Osbournes and The $immon$  family.     I saw Andy twice in '88 WITH iGGY pOP , BUT , i THINK THAT'S THE ONLY U.S TOUR HE'S DONE SINCE THE ABORTIVE AND POORLY PROMOTED US TOUR WHICH ENDED , AS I'M SURE YOU ALL KNOW , IN DRUMMER , RAZZLE'S DEATH WITH VINCE NEAL AT THE WHEEL (HE COULD'NT HAVE SENT OUT FOR BEER?). NO , WAIT , THERE WAS ANOTHER BAND. I FORGET THEIR NAME. HIM , DAVE TREGUNNA OR Kenny Laguna, THE GUY FROM lORDS AND sHAM 69. MAYBE NASTY SUICIDE , TOO? They were at China Club , and I refused to go there.

Duke Of Earl said:

I heard 2 pelle albums but never the one with Andy Mccoy. Apparently they were finnish only releases. 

The Fnords said:

Pelle Miljoona was Andy McCoy's best-known pre-Hanoi Rocks band; I've none of their records though. D.

• July 23, 2012 8:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out Charlotte Nc band Chocha Loca,awesome glam band...you can find em' on myspace.

• July 22, 2012 6:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles said:

Duke Of Earl said:

The Fnords said:

• July 21, 2012 9:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just listened to that the other day.  Thx 4 including.

Old School Hero said:

I played an obscure Glam track on my latest podcast. Good Time Coming by Mustard.

• July 21, 2012 2:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I played an obscure Glam track on my latest podcast. Good Time Coming by Mustard.

• July 20, 2012 4:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I'm going to make the trek to Boston to see them.

• July 20, 2012 1:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool stuff:)  Thanks for sharing.

Joanie Lindstrom said:

Should be good.

• July 9, 2012 7:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hope you can find it....It came out around 1990 , and was easy to find , as were some comps like "Glam Crazee" (My copy of that was stolen , but , I've been able to replace most , not all the tracks....), which came out on CD and Cassette. A DVD of both volumes of "GlamRock" would be the ticket , but , I guess it's never sell , here. They might have been anticipating a Glam revival in The U.S. that never happened.

Frank S said:

Glam Rock may be correct.  I've just dug through a bunch of stuff looking for it to confirm, but I can't seem to find most of my old VHS tapes.  I'll keep searchin'.

John Battles said:

DO YOU MEAN THE COMMERCIAL RELEASE , JUST CALLED "GLAM ROCK"? 

GREAT STUFF. There's a volume 2 , not released in the states , with Sparks , Alvin Stardust , Mud , Suzi Quatro and the usual suspects. 

Frank S said:

A good friend gave me a video on VHS many years ago with all the old school glam fav's like Sweet, Gary Glitter, Slade, T-Rex with the footage being sourced from American Bandstand style British television.  This was fantastic since there was no such thing as YouTube back then.  I may have to dig that up.  Overall, I think Sweet had the catchiest/hookiest songs to back up their outlandish persona.  Check 'em out here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_-L1wVVZA

• July 9, 2012 7:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's so cool. : )

Kyle M. Thunder said:

My mum was a massive Glam fan, heard a lot of it as a kid. The Sweet are still a band I can listen to at almost any given time.

• July 9, 2012 5:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Glam Rock may be correct.  I've just dug through a bunch of stuff looking for it to confirm, but I can't seem to find most of my old VHS tapes.  I'll keep searchin'.

John Battles said:

GREAT STUFF. There's a volume 2 , not released in the states , with Sparks , Alvin Stardust , Mud , Suzi Quatro and the usual suspects. 

Frank S said:

A good friend gave me a video on VHS many years ago with all the old school glam fav's like Sweet, Gary Glitter, Slade, T-Rex with the footage being sourced from American Bandstand style British television.  This was fantastic since there was no such thing as YouTube back then.  I may have to dig that up.  Overall, I think Sweet had the catchiest/hookiest songs to back up their outlandish persona.  Check 'em out here:

• July 9, 2012 3:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

My mum was a massive Glam fan, heard a lot of it as a kid. The Sweet are still a band I can listen to at almost any given time.

• July 3, 2012 12:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Frank S said:

• July 3, 2012 12:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nice video , thanks. It's funny , a lot of people did'nt get hip to the fact that Sweet was toughening up their sound until they moved away from Chinnichap. One only needs to hear their first (U.S.) LP , which has elements of their earlier Bubblegum sound ,  but , it's as much a precursor to Punk as Slade (Whom they were being compared to , for the first time , around 72 - 73.).

Frank S said:

• June 28, 2012 3:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I wasn't aware.  Thanks for letting me know.

Chris Henniker said:

MIming is a rip-off of licence payers money.

Frank S said:

I believe that's right and miming for sure.  Just part of the fun for me.

Chris Henniker said:

Top Of The Pops? They were all miming, though this might be for contractual reasons.

Frank S said:

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel