Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any glam rock fans around here?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 4, 2012 3:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i WAS THINKING THE SAME THING....Not Metal , but Hard Rock. I'm certainly not a fan (Tho' David Lee's book is HILARIOUS.), But , I'd never call them Glam
      .... Glam was over by the time VH's first LP came out (Early '78?). Whoever was still around from that era had moved on to other things , or reworked their sound , drastically ( "Love is Like Oxygen " , while a good song , is miles removed from "Hellraiser" or 'Ballroom Blitz". Of course , David Lee Roth got his schtick from Jim Dandy , so maybe , instead of , or along with , "Butt Rock" , we should call it "Schlong ROCK"..

Joanie Lindstrom said:

Not at all IMHO.  I'd say hard rock.

• June 4, 2012 12:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Shame, I'd like to see it.
      MikeL said:

Afraid not:(.

Chris Henniker said:

Did you get any shots of it? I couldn't get any for copyright reasons.

MikeL said:

Since you mention this, I saw Lou Reed's costume from his "Transformer" days at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC during my last trip back in January.  I'll admit it's nothing all that spectacular, but it was still cool to see.

Chris Henniker said:

The other day, I was exploring London and ended up at the V&A In Kensington. I coughed up £12 to go to the exhibition on British design from 1948-2012 and I even got to see the costumes of David Bowie, Brian Ferry & Brian Eno.  The workmanship is incredible on each of them and they still looked amazing, even today.

I also got to see the Factory Records early stuff there, which looks awesome today.  

Talking of hair metal, were there any bands who mixed it with 60's psychedelia, or power pop,  noise rock, punk or R&B?  

• June 4, 2012 12:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love Hanoi Rocks myself:)

The Fnords said:

For the hair metal /glam /punk /surf /etc. mix, might I suggest Hanoi Rocks?

D.

• June 4, 2012 12:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For the hair metal /glam /punk /surf /etc. mix, might I suggest Hanoi Rocks?

D.

• June 4, 2012 11:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Afraid not:(.

Chris Henniker said:

MikeL said:

Since you mention this, I saw Lou Reed's costume from his "Transformer" days at the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC during my last trip back in January.  I'll admit it's nothing all that spectacular, but it was still cool to see.

Chris Henniker said:

The other day, I was exploring London and ended up at the V&A In Kensington. I coughed up £12 to go to the exhibition on British design from 1948-2012 and I even got to see the costumes of David Bowie, Brian Ferry & Brian Eno.  The workmanship is incredible on each of them and they still looked amazing, even today.

I also got to see the Factory Records early stuff there, which looks awesome today.  

Talking of hair metal, were there any bands who mixed it with 60's psychedelia, or power pop,  noise rock, punk or R&B?  

• June 4, 2012 11:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

MikeL said:

Chris Henniker said:

• June 4, 2012 10:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris Henniker said:

• June 4, 2012 1:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris , That's so cool that you got to see some of that stage gear. You're right, a lot of great workmanship went into these clothes, particularly Bowie's Japanese stage wear. Bolan , unfortunately , was criticized for not spending as much money on his clothes as Bowie , and for not hirng fashion consultants. The clothes did'nt write songs , play guitar or sing.

Good question about whether Hair Metal bands ever diversified. Chicagoland's Enuff Z'nuff (Briefly popular , with an MTV video.)called themselves "The first band to combine Metal and Psychedelia " (Uhh, Blue Cheer , anyone?), but leaned more toward Power Pop (Still do.).
      Chris Henniker said:

• June 4, 2012 1:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris Henniker said:

• June 3, 2012 9:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

• April 2, 2012 8:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...I saw the connection , with SOK's "Oh , Yeah" , but I always thought of "Blockbuster" and "The Jean Jeanie" as sounding more like a Yardbirds kinda thing. Esp. the Guitar solo on 'Jean Jeanie" , which is why it's no surprise Jeff Beck made an "Unplanned" appearance , playing Guitar on the song at the last appearance by Bowie with The Spiders From Mars.

"Blockbuster" and "Jean Genie" were released , both on RCA , in the same week.Andy Scott later claimed The Sweet were not aware of the song's similarities until they were both in the can.

Bowie , for his part , put out "Pin-Ups" in the 'tween time , all MID - 60'S UK Rock covers , and rumor had it , he planned to do a "Sequel" , with "Nuggets " - era US Garage covers....

I did hear him say in a later interview "There were bands in America that just did'nt give a damn , like The Seeds and The 13th Floor Elevators and...Have you ever heard THE JEFFERSON HANDKERCHIEF?!".

• April 2, 2012 2:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Garagepunk Catwalk!

:P

I really really like it.

• March 31, 2012 3:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Little Willy was the first 45 I bought with my own money. I felt so proud. THEN , of course , my Brother brings home a K-Tel LP with Little Willy on it.....I saw SWEET in '90 , with Mick and Andy. Then , later , with just Andy .....Brian was too out of it , and , sadly , losing his voice , to pass muster when given the option of rejoining the group. Reportedly , he'd kicked the bottle by then , but , there's documentary footage of his last tour , or one of the last...It's terrifying. He still seems very polite and reserved , overall , but he looks like he'd just passed an audition for the part of The Crypt Keeper. Bryan Gregory just LOOKED the way he did. Everyone knows Brian Connolly was once the ace face on the Glam and mid - 70's Hard Rock scenes. To see him looking THAT horrifying , less than 20 years after leaving theoriginal band , it's beyongdtragic.

• March 31, 2012 1:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like the Sweet too:)  BTW, you should check out Dave Thompson's book about the Sweet, titled "Blockbuster."

Johnny sic said:

The Sweet!!! It doesn't get any better.
    • March 30, 2012 8:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Sweet!!! It doesn't get any better.
    • March 29, 2012 11:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The same thing has been said about the New York Dolls.

Chris Henniker said:

Many glam acts cribbed riffs from earlier garage bands. Think how "Jean Genie" and The Sweet's "Blockbuster" were plagiarised from the Shadows of Knight's "Oh Yeah".

• March 29, 2012 10:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Many glam acts cribbed riffs from earlier garage bands. Think how "Jean Genie" and The Sweet's "Blockbuster" were plagiarised from the Shadows of Knight's "Oh Yeah".

• March 29, 2012 7:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would just like to say that Prima Donna put on a kickass show in Cleveland on Tuesday night:)

• March 26, 2012 3:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Auto Focus was awesome and so weird to look at him that way now...but of course his cast and crew members on Hogan's Heroes would probably just say "I know No-ssing" about all of his extracurricular activities...

I will give a listen to Prima Donna, thanks for the heads up!

MikeL said:

LOL!  Tell me about it:)  Did you ever see a movie called "Auto Focus"?  It was a biopic about Bob Crane, who played Col. Hogan on "Hogan's Heroes."  He had a rather dark side as well, and it makes me see him in a whole new light whenever I watch reruns of that show.

caryn lavender said:

The song Do You Want To Touch/Oh Yeah has a whole different meaning to me now....

MikeL said:

Hey, you can't help but to like Gary Glitter's music...just try not to dwell too much on him being a pedophile;)

caryn lavender said:

Pass it on, no one should be without the joy of the Butt Rock classification...and don't forget the great Butt Rock bands Ratt, Motley Crue, Slayer and early Butt Rock Hall of Famer Billy Squire...Okay I'll shut up now, I am sure I have offended enough people.

By the way my personal faves are Sweet, Slade, Bowie, Mott The Hoople and I have huge amounts of T-Rex...and yes...even though Gary Glitter is a hugely creepy perv, I still like his music...

trashman said:

haaaaa.  Next time I see my friend I will mention Butt Rock.  love it.

caryn lavender said:

Okay...IMHO...Van Halen = Butt Rock...Poison = Butt Rock...bands with the hair and the spandex and lots of mild rock with chicks crawling on cars in their videos...the song Cherry Pie...all of that to me = Butt Rock...just saying

• March 26, 2012 3:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL!  Tell me about it:)  Did you ever see a movie called "Auto Focus"?  It was a biopic about Bob Crane, who played Col. Hogan on "Hogan's Heroes."  He had a rather dark side as well, and it makes me see him in a whole new light whenever I watch reruns of that show.

caryn lavender said:

The song Do You Want To Touch/Oh Yeah has a whole different meaning to me now....

MikeL said:

Hey, you can't help but to like Gary Glitter's music...just try not to dwell too much on him being a pedophile;)

caryn lavender said:

Pass it on, no one should be without the joy of the Butt Rock classification...and don't forget the great Butt Rock bands Ratt, Motley Crue, Slayer and early Butt Rock Hall of Famer Billy Squire...Okay I'll shut up now, I am sure I have offended enough people.

By the way my personal faves are Sweet, Slade, Bowie, Mott The Hoople and I have huge amounts of T-Rex...and yes...even though Gary Glitter is a hugely creepy perv, I still like his music...

trashman said:

caryn lavender said:

Okay...IMHO...Van Halen = Butt Rock...Poison = Butt Rock...bands with the hair and the spandex and lots of mild rock with chicks crawling on cars in their videos...the song Cherry Pie...all of that to me = Butt Rock...just saying

• March 26, 2012 3:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

MikeL said:

caryn lavender said:

trashman said:

caryn lavender said:

• March 26, 2012 3:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

caryn lavender said:

trashman said:

caryn lavender said:

• March 26, 2012 3:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

trashman said:

caryn lavender said:

• March 26, 2012 2:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'll tell him you liked him at least;)

Ivan Andreini said:

the keyboard player was good;

• March 26, 2012 2:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

the keyboard player was good;

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel