Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Murder Punk!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 3, 2010 10:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't even know if these things are still available, but the two-volume Murder Punk CDs that came out back in the '90s are a collection of some of the best Australian '70s punk I've ever seen (or heard). They feature great tracks from the Scientists, Fun Things, Razar, Leftovers, Victims, etc.

As far as I know, the source of these comps is a mystery. The only name listed on the discs was that of Martin Bryant, one of the most notorious spree killers of all time, and probably the reason the name "Murder Punk" was chosen to begin with. Pretty sick joke, but a great set of comps. I know that Underground Medicine and Bomp used to carry them, but not sure where you can find them today as I'm sure they're both OOP. Maybe eBay?

Anyway, are there any other comps like this chronically great Aussie punk from the late '70s or early '80s in the Bloodstains or Killed By Death vein?

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• July 22, 2011 1:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

there's a chosen few ep recently re-issued too (with the band's permission) - i'll find the details and post em up
    • May 16, 2011 3:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Do the POP!
    • August 13, 2010 10:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Surprised no one else is in on this Aussie conversation. Dirty Greg said:
      Dirty Greg said:
      I have both of those murder punk comps, the second disc being the better one (in my opinion). They re-released a two disc set of the Scientist stuff which is really really good. I got into a lot of these '77' Australian bands and found this comp 'Inner City Sound' which also has a book that you can get also (I don't remember if they came together) but it covers the late seventies and early eighties 'post punk' Australian bands. A pretty good read and the cd has a really cool fold out insert with a 'family tree' of all these bands as a lot of the guys went from one band to another.
    • August 13, 2010 10:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dirty Greg said:
      I have both of those murder punk comps, the second disc being the better one (in my opinion). They re-released a two disc set of the Scientist stuff which is really really good. I got into a lot of these '77' Australian bands and found this comp 'Inner City Sound' which also has a book that you can get also (I don't remember if they came together) but it covers the late seventies and early eighties 'post punk' Australian bands. A pretty good read and the cd has a really cool fold out insert with a 'family tree' of all these bands as a lot of the guys went from one band to another.
    • August 3, 2010 10:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Love the Chosen Few from Murder Punk. There *is* a Bloodstains Across Australia comp that I've only seen when a record collector friend let me borrow it for our special "Nozzfest" show another DJ and I did last year. Where the Birdmen Flew of course is a great one and for 60's stuff, Before the Birdmen Flew, I think there are 4 volumes of those. Back to the 70's and 80's, the Go & Do It comp on Aberrant has good stuff. Antipodean Screams came out on Off the Hip not that long ago. And the old "On the Waterfront" was really good, Happy Hate Me Nots have one of my fave songs ever and some other decent 80's stuff.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel