Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Roky Erickson/13th Floor Elevators book "Eye Mind"

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 22, 2010 3:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recently purchased and devoured from Amazon "eye mind: The Saga of Roky eRickSon and The 13Th flooR elevaToRS" by Paul Drummond and Julian Cope and it was totally amazing. One of those books that makes you feel like you are in the van along for the ride. Highly recommended for any Roky fans, fans of Texas music, or fans of 60's rock n roll. 454 Acid drenched pages. 
    • July 28, 2010 9:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For some insight into this period check out this amazing doc "DEMON ANGEL" FREE on youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZywctlIBLs&feature=PlayList&p=63C0FB3955A69EFB&playnext=1&index=28 Here's another 13th floor elevators doc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opWyqIDV9yY There is some good info in it but its not very visually interesting and big chunks are just songs and trippy effects. You can skip to the meat in that one. Also "You're gonna miss me" 2005 you can watch streaming on Netflix, if you're in that exclusive club like me. It's really a mind blower. Roky trades the rights to "you're gonna miss me" the song for a milkshake! These poor kids were so taken advantage of, and their story is truly a tragic and important one. Thee Wild Wraith said:
      I'm with Max. Roky and The Explosives Halloween! is a big favorite of mine.

I'd love to read about the 13th Floor Elevators period and I'm gonna pick this up for sure. But I hope somebody will write something about his later career at some point. I'm most interested in The Evil One era stuff.
    • July 28, 2010 6:42 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I wish I could have afforded that box set that came out last year, and now I hear there are no new copies available. Love to get my hands on a copy of this book. Still haven't seen the documentary either.
    • July 26, 2010 11:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw a documentary about Roky Erickson few years ago (directed by Keven McAlester). Paul Drummond appears in this film. Title is "You're Gonna Miss Me" (2005) and I think it's also highly recommended for Roky fans. Here is IMDB link http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0791268/
    • July 26, 2010 10:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

great book! i learned so much about one of my favorite bands. and i agree about hearing more about Roky's early solo material.
    • July 26, 2010 6:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm with Max. Roky and The Explosives Halloween! is a big favorite of mine.

I'd love to read about the 13th Floor Elevators period and I'm gonna pick this up for sure. But I hope somebody will write something about his later career at some point. I'm most interested in The Evil One era stuff.
    • July 23, 2010 2:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the correction. Wholeheartedly agree. Really a mind blower, where the reality is crazier then most of the myths about the band. I wish it would have continued in more detail about Roky's solo career. I'm sure there's another books worth of material right there I'd love to read. I got to see Roky and the Explosives play webster hall in NYC a few years ago and it was totally amazing. They still had it, and I felt extremely lucky to get to see him play with his old band members that really knew how to play with him and get the most from him in terms making him feel comfortable. Roky and The Explosives Halloween! live 79-81 is one of my favorite cds and they still sounded just like that screaming guitar and everything. Even Roky took a guitar solo ! Brother Panti-Christ said:
      The 13th Floor Elevators are my favorite band ever and I've waited in anticipation for this book's release. AND, I tell ya, this book just blew me into the weeds, AMAZING!! The 13th Floor Elevators are the true pioneers of psychedelic music, whether you like that kind of music or not.

And if you think you have a hard time scoring grass to smoke these days, those boys had it REALLY rough!! Followed by cops, gigs getting busted, homes raided and the sheer fear and paranoia of being 'the next big thing' in their music scene. I truly loved the whole book, even as sad as their story gets toward the end of their career.

Julian Cope did a nice forward but all the writing credit goes to Paul Drummond. I've read hundreds of books about bands, songwriters, producers, music movements and this book is truly an amazing read written by a man who truly loved their music. Great work, well researched, and a must read for any fan of 60's music. ***** five stars out of five!
    • July 22, 2010 1:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

The 13th Floor Elevators are my favorite band ever and I've waited in anticipation for this book's release. AND, I tell ya, this book just blew me into the weeds, AMAZING!! The 13th Floor Elevators are the true pioneers of psychedelic music, whether you like that kind of music or not.

And if you think you have a hard time scoring grass to smoke these days, those boys had it REALLY rough!! Followed by cops, gigs getting busted, homes raided and the sheer fear and paranoia of being 'the next big thing' in their music scene. I truly loved the whole book, even as sad as their story gets toward the end of their career.

Julian Cope did a nice forward but all the writing credit goes to Paul Drummond. I've read hundreds of books about bands, songwriters, producers, music movements and this book is truly an amazing read written by a man who truly loved their music. Great work, well researched, and a must read for any fan of 60's music. ***** five stars out of five!
    • July 22, 2010 10:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Read that Cope was an established author, but hadn't read any of his books. Good to know it's worth the time.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel