Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Slayer

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 22, 2010 3:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi there,

since I've been listening to this record quite a lot lately: What do you guys think of Slayer's "Reign in Blood"?

I know this record since I was a teenager, but only had it on tape. So a couple of years ago I bought the LP, and only recently I realized how much I like this record. All lyrical controversy aside, I think it's fucking brillant, it has a supercool non-metal guitar sound, Tom Araya thankfully doesn't do this eunuch metal screaming (well, almost), and "Reign in Blood" just kicks ass.

Who else here is a secret metalhead?

Cheers, Doc Sanchez

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• October 25, 2010 4:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Definite not-so-closeted metal fan here. I still rock Black Sabbath, Saint Vitus, and old Monster Magnet regularly. And Slayer... "Reign In Blood" has been in my possession in one format or another for almost 25 years now, cripes. I still crank it on my iPod every time I vacuum the house. "Reborn" is one of the most savage tunes ever!

I'm also not too up to speed on more current stuff (um, no pun intended), although one of the more recent band I like is The Lord Weird Slough Feg, a great metallic rock band out of the San Francisco area.

Also still fond of some of that metal/punk stuff. Discharge and Amebix come to mind, and Dr. Know did some great stuff - "This Island Earth" is one of my favorite records of any genre, ever. Although I have to concur with Count Brockula, the crossover thing sucked big time for live shows. I was going to punk shows in the SF Bay Area during the mid '80s and got to see the meathead invasion up close and personal. Ugh.

And thanks to Don Sanchez for starting this thread... I'm raising my bottle of Guinness Extra Stout in a toast to all of the people in The Hideout - and everywhere else - who don't limit themselves to one form of music. There is good stuff in almost every genre, you just have to find it! *clink*
    • October 22, 2010 11:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

we had a great metal scene for a while...I have to mention Shadows Fall cause I grew up with those guys..I would never even know metal exisisted if I didn't see it with my own eyes...those shows were awesome!!
    • October 10, 2010 7:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i love metal too
    • September 9, 2010 9:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, Atari Teenage Riot really rock! I liked anthrax back then, but kinda lost track. But "Caught in a mosh" still is pretty cool. Does anyone remember Sacred Reich? "American Way" from "Surfing Nicaragua" still is one of my favourite metal songs.
      Cathedral is something I'd rather listen to nowadays. Back then I was more into the faster stuff. Must check them out soon. I kind of ignored the whole doom thing as a kid, but coming from Sunn O))) and Earth and so on I'm slowly starting to discover that stuff.

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• September 9, 2010 9:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah Doc, loved Carcass at the time, but even better (and slower) imho were Cathedral. And how about 'Impact is Imminent' by Exodus - that rocked! Did anyone say Anthrax?? And as crossover bands go Atari Teenage Riot (punk/thrash/techno) were awesome...!!
    • September 9, 2010 9:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Since I totally fell for this album during my holidays, I just want to add Harvey Milk's "Life ... The Best Game in Town" and especially the opening track "Death Goes to the Winner" to the metal/noise etc. discussion here. Soooooo great!

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• August 9, 2010 12:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As far as metal goes, Slayer is...ok...but I prefer Twisted Sister!
    • August 7, 2010 6:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What's up Doc? Yes, Young Widows are pretty great. I actually saw them the same week as Harvey Milk this past spring, carpooled with the same guys, and noted a number of the same faces at the shows. I would classify them as "noise rock" rather than "metal", but that's splittin' hairs. My Mom couldn't tell any of it apart, Ya know? If you like YW look out for Future of the Left (formerly McClusky), Clockcleaner, and Pissed Jeans. Doc Sanchez said:
      Hi Ego,

that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I've heard a few of those names already, Harvey Milk, Boris and Baroness for example. But now I'll go a-hunting for more.

Another pretty good band are the Young Widows, but I don't know if they can be called Metal, or rather just Noise(core). Anyway, I like the way they work with a kind of loopy, repetitive riffing.

Does anyone like Carcass? I think that "Necroticism" is one of the best grindcore records ever made, so full of good ideas, with a superb sound and cool humor. After that, they became too soft, too "indie", and before that album they were amusing but kind of bad. But this one album, wow.
    • August 4, 2010 6:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Don't forget the Animosity era Corrossion of Conformity is back with Mike, Woody, and Reed.
    • August 4, 2010 3:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi Ego,

that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I've heard a few of those names already, Harvey Milk, Boris and Baroness for example. But now I'll go a-hunting for more.

Another pretty good band are the Young Widows, but I don't know if they can be called Metal, or rather just Noise(core). Anyway, I like the way they work with a kind of loopy, repetitive riffing.

Does anyone like Carcass? I think that "Necroticism" is one of the best grindcore records ever made, so full of good ideas, with a superb sound and cool humor. After that, they became too soft, too "indie", and before that album they were amusing but kind of bad. But this one album, wow.

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• August 3, 2010 10:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Reign In Blood is the greatest metal album ever. I also have a soft spot for South of Heaven But does anyone know any recent metal bands that are cool? One of my favourites is Sunn O))), but they can hardly be called metal in the classic sense. Mastodon definitely rock, and if you want, the Melvins never made one bad record. I'm looking for more of the sound Mastodon are playing. Any suggestions? I guess my taste goes rather into the sludge direction, but I don't know the genre too well... Harvey Milk -Like early MELVINS and The Swans, slow, dark (but darkly humorous), noisy (they also did a ZZ Top inspired album) Baroness - considered by metalheads to have too much indie rock influence, but that's only because they mix hooks and good production with the sludge) Kylesa - somewhat similar to Baroness, but more hardcore influenced with insane double drumming and male.female vocals BORIS - experimental Japanese metal, named for a MELVINS song, recent albums have had a MY Bloody Valentine/ psychedelic influence. Made an album with Sunn0))). EYEHATEGOD/Outlaw Order - classic southern sludge. Weedeater - Sludge with a southern rock influence Blutch - slow, sludgy , noisy Torche - similar to Baroness, with a more stoner rock influence Electric Wizard - noisy, sludgy, british band Earthride - classic doom Acid Bath - NOLA sludge with more range than normal for this type of band. Dax Riggs of Deadboy and The Elephantmen and Fat Possum records started with them Jucifer - early on they crossed Breeders type alternative rock and MELVINS type sludge. as time has gone on they've amped up the sludge and downplayed the alt rock, but added some Americana influence. They do an especially over the top live show. Municipal Waste - kings of the Crossover Thrash revival Pig Destroyer - grindcore with some interesting twists High On Fire - like Motorhead with Tony Iommi on guitar Om - hypnotic bass/drums duo Black Mountain - more hard rock than metal. Deep Purple heaviness, Pink Floyd psyche, Stonesy boogie and male/female vocals that remind me of X and Royal Trux Fatso Jetson - dudes who've played with Queens of the Stone Age. Kinda like a stoner rock Minutemen anything Scott "Wino" Wienrich ("the American Lemmy") has ever done - Saint Vitus, The Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, The Hidden Hand, Place of Skulls, Probot, Shrinebuilder, and a solo album. Due loves his Sabbath, in a very good way.
    • August 2, 2010 2:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I don't have a clue who's who in metal anymore, I gave up on the scene years ago, just got bored hearing all those men in shorts whining about their fucking childhoods. I mean I still think it's good music and everything, it just doesn't get me off the same way anymore.
    • August 2, 2010 12:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is true evil...

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• July 29, 2010 11:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I have to say-- that i don't think there has every been a discussion like this on the hideout... I am sure there are much more us hangin' out here.
    • July 29, 2010 6:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow, there's quite a lot of stuff still to discover for me.

But does anyone know any recent metal bands that are cool? One of my favourites is Sunn O))), but they can hardly be called metal in the classic sense. Mastodon definitely rock, and if you want, the Melvins never made one bad record. I'm looking for more of the sound Mastodon are playing. Any suggestions? I guess my taste goes rather into the sludge direction, but I don't know the genre too well...

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• July 25, 2010 11:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Accused are awesome!  I have that 12" they put out a bunch of good records.  Awesomely wretched vocals and lightning fast guitar. Very understood band for sure. They have a fairly new record but I haven't heard it yet.

FREDDI said:
      Yes,lot of memories,and it's gonna turn Garagepunk.com in another kind of network :D :D Yes those years give birth to a lot of cool things..Who was a teenager at times surely had share them. I loved all that HC/Thrash/crossover stuff; Gang Green-Another wasted night DRI-Dealing with it Agnostic Front-Victims in pain Minor Threat-Out of step Dag Nasty-Can I say Discharge-Hear nothing see nothing.. Accused-More fun than an open casket funeral Attitude adjustment,Die Kreuzen,Dead Kennedys,Adrenakin OD.,Alice Donut,Tragic Mulatto, Corrosion of Conformity,No means No,Circle jerks,Offenders.. and we can go on with such good bands.It sounded like a revolution and so it was. Eighties were so boring,a young boy could'nt have good alternatives lookin in that contemporary.
    • July 24, 2010 11:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes,lot of memories,and it's gonna turn Garagepunk.com in another kind of network :D :D
      Yes those years give birth to a lot of cool things..Who was a teenager at times surely had share them.
      I loved all that HC/Thrash/crossover stuff;

Gang Green-Another wasted night
      DRI-Dealing with it
      Agnostic Front-Victims in pain
      Minor Threat-Out of step
      Dag Nasty-Can I say
      Discharge-Hear nothing see nothing..
      Accused-More fun than an open casket funeral
      Attitude adjustment,Die Kreuzen,Dead Kennedys,Adrenakin OD.,Alice Donut,Tragic Mulatto,
      Corrosion of Conformity,No means No,Circle jerks,Offenders..

and we can go on with such good bands.It sounded like a revolution and so it was.
      Eighties were so boring,a young boy could'nt have good alternatives lookin in that contemporary.
    • July 24, 2010 8:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I would never be able to sell my old metal stuff, even though I don't listen to most of it anymore (and some stuff is pretty embarrassing - the first five Manowar records or some Sodom or King Diamond stuff, for example...). But there's some real treasures in my old collection (even though most of it on CD, such as Carcass or Napalm Death). I also really love Gang Green, they started off as a punk band but had some metal moments, too. And the first two Metallica albums, of course.

I also think that "World Downfall" by Terrorizer is a cool Hard/Grindcore record, and "Stress Related" by the Righteous Pigs, one of my all time favourites.

And Freddi, you can download the first Cro-Mags legally on their HP, since it's pretty hard to get. It's totally worth it! And me, I gotta check out Crumbsucker.

Does anyone here like D.R.I.? I loved them when I was a kid, but now think they're pretty boring (except for some songs), because all their tracks are too long.

Man, this thread brings back memories...

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• July 23, 2010 3:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I suggest you the first Crumbsuckers "Life of dreams" Max Reverb said:
      I never heard of The Crumbsuckers but i picked up a 12" of theres a few days ago at goodwill! "beast on my back" very thrashy / crossover stuff.

"age of quarrel" has been suggested to me so many times I gotta check it out.

FREDDI said:
      Oh yes,Cro-Mags with "The age of quarrel" were good too.
      I would add S.O.D., Nuclear Assault,Suicidal Tendencies the first one,
      Ludi-Christ,Crumbsuckers...
      wow!!

Doc Sanchez said:
      "Masturbatory guitar work", haha, exactly! You can't say it any better!

I always loved these guitar solos which seem to have no structure at all, but still you always can say whether it's King or Hanneman playing. They always feel like some otherworldly noise, more like the screams of the damned in hell than guitars. But I like the brutal riffs better than the solos, they're so powerful, played with so much pressure. And Rick Rubin did a good job producing the album - clear, with loads of pressure, but still dirty as hell. Reminds me more of, say, the Cro-Mags than of other Metal acts (especially scandinavian Death Metal bands from end of the 80s, beginning of the 90s often had a pretty weak sound).

As you said: Slayer rules and leaves nothing more to be said.
    • July 23, 2010 2:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not a metalhead (can't stand the screaming, the guitar wanking, etc) and REALLY hated the crossover shit when good bands went metal (and my hometown scene suddenly filled with long hairs "moshing" and picking fights and being a punk was suddenly something to be ridiculed), but "Reign In Blood" RULES! That album came out the same day my dad and I finished building my half pipe (6' on one side, 9' on the other, 12 ft wide, 28 ft of flat, roll-in channel, blah blah blah... it was even in TWO issues of Thrasher!) and my best friend showed up that afternoon with "Reign In Blood" on cassette. That was some of the best skate music (that, "Earth AD", RKL and the first Suicidal album). I think that album contributed to my dad's ultimate destruction of the ramp - that and the fact that we sometimes had over 100 people, mostly underage, hanging out and drinking which pissed off the neighbors; Murphy's Law and JFA doing bong hits on our patio didn't make my dad real happy either!
    • July 23, 2010 1:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Beat-man's old band The Monsters have some pretty metally moments. i'm a big fan of The Monsters and Beat-man. Gringo Starr said:
      The Reverend Beat-Man is a total Metahead and a Slayer fan! Go figure!
    • July 23, 2010 1:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

sU nioJ!sU nioJ!sU nioJ!sU nioJ!sU nioJ!sU nioJ!sU nioJ!sU nioJ!sU nioJ!sU nioJ!sU nioJ!sU nioJ! electrocute your cock said:
      Shit, Survive by Nuclear Assault was pretty much my favourite album for a while when I was a teenager. Funnily enough I never owned Reign in Blood, but I loved Hell Awaits.
    • July 23, 2010 1:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I never heard of The Crumbsuckers but i picked up a 12" of theres a few days ago at goodwill! "beast on my back" very thrashy / crossover stuff. "age of quarrel" has been suggested to me so many times I gotta check it out. FREDDI said:
      Oh yes,Cro-Mags with "The age of quarrel" were good too.
      I would add S.O.D., Nuclear Assault,Suicidal Tendencies the first one,
      Ludi-Christ,Crumbsuckers...
      wow!!

Doc Sanchez said:
      "Masturbatory guitar work", haha, exactly! You can't say it any better!

I always loved these guitar solos which seem to have no structure at all, but still you always can say whether it's King or Hanneman playing. They always feel like some otherworldly noise, more like the screams of the damned in hell than guitars. But I like the brutal riffs better than the solos, they're so powerful, played with so much pressure. And Rick Rubin did a good job producing the album - clear, with loads of pressure, but still dirty as hell. Reminds me more of, say, the Cro-Mags than of other Metal acts (especially scandinavian Death Metal bands from end of the 80s, beginning of the 90s often had a pretty weak sound).

As you said: Slayer rules and leaves nothing more to be said.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel