Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Time to buy a turntable (Help!)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 14, 2010 6:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok Ok, 

I'm sure there are probably a bunch of threads like this already, but fuck it..

I need to buy a new turntable,  over 15 years of  collecting vinyl and I still play them on flea market find.  My latest treasure will just toss the needle across a record and scratch it all to shit.  So if I needed an amp or a guitar I'd drop the fuckin' cash right??

I got $500 I want to spend on a new record player, what do I buy??  Technics / Stranton / what ?

Thank you in advance garagepunkers!
      ~T

• March 13, 2011 9:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Aint 1200's more of a DJs turntable? I'd get something with automatic return, so when you are laying a turd, or pass out the needle doesn't stay in the groove. My suggestion though is don't buy new, because almost everything new is cheap and costs more.
    • March 10, 2011 12:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Needles for just about any turntable can be found at Garage-A-Records (http://www.garage-a-records.com/). I have been buying from them for years. I buy old turntables at thrift store, flea markets, etc and restore them and re-sell them so I use the guys quite regularly.

My preference is the Dual 1019 with a Shure V-15 II with a JICO stylus (we have 4 turntables in the house and they're all the same set-up except for one that set up exclusively for 78s).

• March 9, 2011 8:48 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ok, I can't even find needles.  So, where can I go online to buy some?
    • March 9, 2011 7:41 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey,

Sorta picking up an old thread here...   Have you  (or anyone out there )  had any problems with the speed / pitch on the debut III ?  I notice it has no pitch control. 
      ~T

Alex said:

I bought my first turntable for $500. It's a Pro-Ject Debut III, and I added on the speedbox that lets you switch from 33 to 45 with the touch of a button. It's really about as high quality as you can get for that price. I'd recommend reading some articles on Stereophile Magazine to see what they recommend.
    • July 20, 2010 1:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm at work right now, but if I remember correctly, mine is an SL-1200 MK2. They're all pretty similar, though. Just search eBay for Technics 1200 and you should find all kinds. Ryan Katastrophe bought this baby a few years ago. Yeah, they're expensive new (which is why I recommend buying a used one on eBay)! And for a stylus, get a Stanton 500 E MK II from Garage-A-Records online. Foul & Fair Records said:
      Noted! looking up the 1200 there seems to be a lot postfixed letters/#'s, which model is the one for me?
      ~T Pheck said:
      You can't go wrong with a Technics 1200, or check out the Vestax Guber, a very cool little turntable. The Guber is belt-driven though so if you plan on DJing it's not he way to go.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• July 17, 2010 6:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...well, if possible, you should spend your bucks on a used DUAL 701 or 704, still the best deal in my opinion, forget 'bout those players available on the market these days. got my second-hand 701 'bout 10 years ago and it still works like a charm, simply perfect! so if you've got the chance to get one of those (even on "ebay"...), think it over...
    • July 17, 2010 1:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Noted! looking up the 1200 there seems to be a lot postfixed letters/#'s, which model is the one for me? ~T Pheck said:
      You can't go wrong with a Technics 1200, or check out the Vestax Guber, a very cool little turntable. The Guber is belt-driven though so if you plan on DJing it's not he way to go.
    • July 17, 2010 11:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 16, 2010 8:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Get the Pro-Ject Debut III, great turntable and it comes in RED!
    • July 15, 2010 7:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I stumbled upon a cheap Linn Basic some years ago, and it's definitely worth the money... But I have no idea if it's still available. But if I had the money, I'd go with Linn again.

www.cyco-sanchez.de

• July 14, 2010 10:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I bought my first turntable for $500. It's a Pro-Ject Debut III, and I added on the speedbox that lets you switch from 33 to 45 with the touch of a button. It's really about as high quality as you can get for that price. I'd recommend reading some articles on Stereophile Magazine to see what they recommend.
    • July 14, 2010 8:32 PM CDT
    • Untitled

This. if you've got the cash do it. Johnny Danger said:
      Looks like you got the dosh so you might as well drop it on the industry standard, Technics 1200. Industry standard for a reason, it'll survive the apocalypse.
    • July 14, 2010 7:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Looks like you got the dosh so you might as well drop it on the industry standard, Technics 1200. Industry standard for a reason, it'll survive the apocalypse.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel