Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: A few of my favorite books on rock'n'roll...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 20, 2011 3:55 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeh, I second that nomination, it's a great book about Joey and his relationship w/ his brother, bittersweet, but ultimately uplifting.

MikeL said:

BTW, another recommendation I would like to make is "I Slept With Joey Ramone," which is a very upclose and personal look at Joey Ramone, written by his brother and Legs McNeil. Sadly, you're going to find out that Joey could be a real asshole too in his own strange way, although a lot of it was due to his OCD.
    • October 14, 2011 7:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Woa man theres so many: I never liked reading but it seems like the only way to get info on bands and cool stuff nobody seems to give much of a squat about.

Lately Ive been through these ones: DooWop:cousin brucie/Tommy & the Shondelles Me and the Mob/Allen Freed bio/ Warren Zevon I'll Sleep when Im dead/kinks a very english band

Anybody have any recommended rocknroll literature? Pulpy kinda stuff that stirs fantasies of long gone cool stuff. Some of the bios Ive read even seem sureal so theres gotta be some cool, old novels Im missing out on. Stuff like Kerouac but with more early rocknroll descriptions rather than jazz would be cool to read.

• July 18, 2011 3:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ray Mangum said:
      Essential Reading:

"Unsung Heroes of Rock and Roll: The Birth of Rock in the Wild Years Before Elvis" by Nick Tosches

Nick Tosches is possibly my favourite r'n'r writer and this book kicks every others arse.

He writes like r'n'r- exciting, fast moving, dirty, full of lies, half-truths and tall tales, and he makes me laugh like a drain. The story about Louis Prima catching the mafia henchman doing the dirty with his girlfriend and how Louis got his attention is a definite highpoint.

if you love rock'n'roll, you should read this book.
    • July 18, 2011 2:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've read Please Kill Me.  It's a great book.  Anyone read Henry Rollins' 'Get In The Van'?  It's a good read too.
    • May 7, 2011 1:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 7, 2011 8:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i have to say 'please kill me' is possibly one of the most entertaining books i've read ever! and another favourite is lemmy's autobiography. its funny as hell.

• April 14, 2011 9:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

2 good books on Blondie and Debs :):)

• April 14, 2011 9:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bring more books on :):)

• December 4, 2010 5:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Some of my favorite rock and roll books: We Got the Neutron Bomb : The Untold Story of L.A. Punk by Marc Spitz and Brendan Mullen Lexicon Devil: The Fast Times and Short Life of Darby Crash and the Germs by Brendan Mullen, Don Bolles, and Adam Parfrey The Dark Stuff: Selected Writings on Rock Music by Nick Kent and Iggy Pop From the Velvets to the Voidoids: The Birth of American Punk Rock by Clinton Heylin Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain Highway to Hell: The Life and Death of AC/DC Legend Bon Scott by Clinton Walker And the 3 books Dee Dee Ramone wrote: Lobotomy: Surviving the Ramones Chelsea Horror Hotel Legend of a Rock Star: A Memoir Next on my list: Diary of a Rock'n'Roll Star by Ian Hunter
    • September 30, 2010 1:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW, another recommendation I would like to make is "I Slept With Joey Ramone," which is a very upclose and personal look at Joey Ramone, written by his brother and Legs McNeil. Sadly, you're going to find out that Joey could be a real asshole too in his own strange way, although a lot of it was due to his OCD.
    • September 30, 2010 11:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The first music book i ever read was No One Here Gets Out Alive during my Doors Faze. Several other books on music that i recomend would be.
      Tattooed on their tongues- a journey through the backrooms of american music- Colin Escott
      Fargo Rock City- Chuck Klosterman
      Rockabilly- Billy Poore
      Hound Dog: The Leiber & Stoller Autobiography
    • July 14, 2010 2:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I did read both of those compilations of Lester Bangs' work. My favorite piece out of all of them was the one on the Clash. Ray Mangum said:
      Essential Reading:

"Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung" and "Mainlines, Bloodfeasts, and Bad Taste" by Lester Bangs

"Unsung Heroes of Rock and Roll: The Birth of Rock in the Wild Years Before Elvis" by Nick Tosches

"Unknown Legends of Rock and Roll" by Richie Unteberger

"Stairway to Hell" by Chuck Eddy

On my Reading List:

"Hellfire" and "Country" by Nick Tosches

"The Aesthetics of Rock" by Richard Meltzer

"Lipstick Traces" by Greil Marcus

"Black Monk Time" by Eddie Shaw
    • July 13, 2010 3:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Essential Reading:

"Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung" and "Mainlines, Bloodfeasts, and Bad Taste" by Lester Bangs

"Unknown Legends of Rock and Roll" by Richie Unteberger

"Stairway to Hell" by Chuck Eddy

On my Reading List:

"Hellfire" and "Country" by Nick Tosches

"The Aesthetics of Rock" by Richard Meltzer

"Lipstick Traces" by Greil Marcus

"Black Monk Time" by Eddie Shaw
    • July 13, 2010 7:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW, another one I just thought of was "Full Moon" by Dougal Butler, an incredibly hilarious account of the antics of Keith Moon, written by his personal roadie.
    • July 12, 2010 7:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd also like to add "Neon Angel: Memoir of a Runaway" by Cherie Currie, which I just finished this past weekend, and "Rotten" by John Lydon.
    • July 10, 2010 8:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Please Kill Me. Best writer in the bunch. If it ain't country, it ain't George Jones' I lived To Tell It All. Best R&R Auto Bio Ever?
    • July 10, 2010 1:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I need to read any of those books yet......probably the next on my wishlist is "Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored" by Richard Cole. Thanx :)

• July 9, 2010 7:14 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Velvets to voidoids is my favourite Rock n roll book. I also picked up one called Punk, it was the only book in the whole book store that I could find to buy with the book vouchers I got given, it's surprisingly good.
    • July 9, 2010 5:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, without the Ramones as a springboard or being in any band for that matter, I don't know if Johnny would have thought about going into broadcasting. There's that possibility, though. He could have started as a DJ (probably would have looked for an oldies format to begin with since there wasn't really anyplace for the other stuff he liked) if the band hadn't started, but it doesn't seem like anyone was encouraging that. BUT if he had found work as a DJ (which I do find totally believable, don't get me wrong), he totally would have moved on into a Rush Limbaugh sort of forum, but he's a lot smarter than a lot of other conservatives, but that's probably because a little bit of liberalism from his friends rubbed off on him.
    • July 9, 2010 3:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for reminding me about that book on the Fleshtones. No, I haven't read it yet, but I've been meaning to do so. Maybe Johnny would have become a commentator on Fox News, or he would have had his own syndicated radio show, considering his right wing political beliefs. It would have been amusing to watch him give his guests that cold glare. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I read "On the Road with the Ramones". Wasn't that an oral history? Great book. It's amazing that without this group, they all would have been just a bunch of individual misfits(except Tommy the original drummer, who could of got by just on producing records if he had wanted to and Marky who could have been a session drummer). Joey Ramone would have been on SSI basically. Dee Dee probably would have died sooner and would have never got to show what a great writer he was. It probably would have never occured to him to be like William S. Burroughs or Jack Kerouac. As for Johnny, probably would have been in construction, a factory, or a criminal. Thank goodness for the Ramones just for saving this guys from destroying themselves.

I really liked Sweat:The Story of the Fleshtones as well. Did you read that yet? I think you'd really like it.
    • July 9, 2010 3:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I read "On the Road with the Ramones". Wasn't that an oral history? Great book. It's amazing that without this group, they all would have been just a bunch of individual misfits(except Tommy the original drummer, who could of got by just on producing records if he had wanted to and Marky who could have been a session drummer). Joey Ramone would have been on SSI basically. Dee Dee probably would have died sooner and would have never got to show what a great writer he was. It probably would have never occured to him to be like William S. Burroughs or Jack Kerouac. As for Johnny, probably would have been in construction, a factory, or a criminal. Thank goodness for the Ramones just for saving this guys from destroying themselves.

I really liked Sweat:The Story of the Fleshtones as well. Did you read that yet? I think you'd really like it.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel