Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Wizards

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 30, 2010 12:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ralph Bakshis animated tale of Magic versus Technology. I had a rad mother who introduced me to this movie when I was 13-14 or so. The story is excellent and while the animation isnt great, it is cool when Bakshi used real footage and animated it. I can watch this movie over and over again. Bakshi also did Fritz the cat and the Lord of the rings animated movies.
    • July 4, 2010 2:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Vaughn Bode. That's why it looked familiar. I just forgot the name of the artist. You kind of forget that while Ralph Bakshi is a great animator, most of the art work is adapted from another source and has to resemble that style rather than his own. That's funny about Freebird. I just saw this movie called Devil's Rejects produced by Rob Zombie and he was able to use it at the end of his movie. I guess licencing fees change over time. I totally forgot that Bakshi worked on the old Spider-Man. The Von Ghouls said:
      Bakshi also did Hey Good Lookin' set in the crudest 1950s ever seen and American Pop which had Big Brother's Summertime and Hendrix/Jefferson Airplane hits in the soundtrack. Bakshi wanted Freebird but the studio made them use Seger's Night Moves for the weak finale.

Believe it or not, Bakshi worked on the old Spiderman cartoons in the 1960s and later trained John K of Ren+Stimpy. In Wizards he was just trying out rotoscoping which is hand drawing over old movie footage with changes. He used this heavily in Lord of the Rings which I think is his best work ever and a great treatment of the first book and a half.

Unfortunately there was lawsuits over Wizards because the characters were blatantly lifted from Vaughn Bodé's Cheech Wizard. I'm not sure what happened with Fritz the Cat but creator R. Crumb was shattered as I remember.

There was another movie done with Frank Frazetta called Fire and Ice but the story was so miserable you even get tired of the great art. Bakshi was one of few Americans fighting against the Disney monopoly on animation for decades.
    • July 4, 2010 12:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bakshi also did Hey Good Lookin' set in the crudest 1950s ever seen and American Pop which had Big Brother's Summertime and Hendrix/Jefferson Airplane hits in the soundtrack. Bakshi wanted Freebird but the studio made them use Seger's Night Moves for the weak finale. Believe it or not, Bakshi worked on the old Spiderman cartoons in the 1960s and later trained John K of Ren+Stimpy. In Wizards he was just trying out rotoscoping which is hand drawing over old movie footage with changes. He used this heavily in Lord of the Rings which I think is his best work ever and a great treatment of the first book and a half. Unfortunately there was lawsuits over Wizards because the characters were blatantly lifted from Vaughn Bodé's Cheech Wizard. I'm not sure what happened with Fritz the Cat but creator R. Crumb was shattered as I remember. There was another movie done with Frank Frazetta called Fire and Ice but the story was so miserable you even get tired of the great art. Bakshi was one of few Americans fighting against the Disney monopoly on animation for decades.
    • June 30, 2010 10:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool, thanks for finding. I must have seen some trailer somewhere because some things look familiar but I just can't remember. Shane-O said:
    • June 30, 2010 8:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw WIZARDS when I was a kid... it really freaked me out. I'd never seen anything like it before [or since].
    • June 30, 2010 6:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've never seen or heard of Wizards but I have seen his version of Lord of the Rings, and yeah it is cool when he uses real footage like the backgrounds and real people but somehow makes them look like animated cartoons. I also liked Heavy Metal. Is there any footage of Wizards on youtube so anyone can check it out?

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel