Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Got Questions for Eric Davidson (New Bomb Turks)?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 27, 2010 8:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know. Did that sound like the Got MIlk ad? I tried.

*Don't think this technically falls into the "Shameless Self-Promotion" category, but we'll see*

On July 19th Eric Davidson is going to come on the PDR show on Real Punk Radio to talk about his new book (that everyone already knows aboot), We Never Learn: The Gunk Punk Undergut 1988-2001, and I am going to guest co-host it - along with the regular cast.

I was hoping that there would be enough interested parties that perhaps a handful, or so, would like to voice some questions that we can play for Eric on-the-spot. If you, or anyone you know, is wiggy over the New Bomb Turks give the RadiOblivion Hotline a call and record your inquiries.

Here's a neat little Googly gadget that works like a charm for such occations:

Just click it and Google will do practically the rest (except the leaving the message). Slick as snot!

You can get more info about the show via this post at Michael Kaiser's Haus.

Still waiting on my copy o' the book.
    • July 22, 2010 9:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

When I first heard - or rather read - the term 'gunk punk' I thought it was sounded like like some dumb shit the maintstream (probably British) press would come up with to hype up the latest hip scene or something (y'know, the one that's been around for years but they've only just discovered), and the snob inside me was thinking, oh man I really hope this doesn't catch on, I don't want to hear a bunch of trendy fuckers talking about how much they're into this "gunk punk thing" or see 'we name the ten hottest gunk bands you need to hear this year' on the cover of some rag. Course now I don't really give a fuck. And so far it's a fucking great read.

And I was into gunk punk before it was popular!
    • July 22, 2010 8:37 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah... Eric has real nice way with words. I've been enjoying picking my way through the book early in the morning before I head into work. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Well it is a good term. Gunk is to punk what grunge is to alt. Both are filthy. When you put gunk in the label, you don't think of Green Day or Blink 182. And now we know why singers sound snotty.

Ken (Evil Empire Records) said:
    • July 21, 2010 7:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Y'all can listen to, or download the RPR interview with Eric Davidson by clicking on this here link! It's on Blip.TV. And Blip means quality.
    • July 21, 2010 4:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well it is a good term. Gunk is to punk what grunge is to alt. Both are filthy. When you put gunk in the label, you don't think of Green Day or Blink 182. And now we know why singers sound snotty. Ken (Evil Empire Records) said:
      When he did the Columbus book reading Eric said that it was a quick-and-easy rhyme that was more or less a placeholder while they came up with another subtitle... But somehow managed to stick on all the way through the publishing process.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Understandable. I didn't think about asking him that either when I met him. A few of our friends that we had in common stopped by the record shop where he was doing the book signing and everybody was talking about old times and what not. I don't belong to the chat board that's on the real punk radio website so I couldn't do anything about it. BUT since he's on facebook, I guess I can ask him myself. I was just a bit surprised though, since nobody has ever used that term before.
    • July 21, 2010 7:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When he did the Columbus book reading Eric said that it was a quick-and-easy rhyme that was more or less a placeholder while they came up with another subtitle... But somehow managed to stick on all the way through the publishing process. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Understandable. I didn't think about asking him that either when I met him. A few of our friends that we had in common stopped by the record shop where he was doing the book signing and everybody was talking about old times and what not. I don't belong to the chat board that's on the real punk radio website so I couldn't do anything about it. BUT since he's on facebook, I guess I can ask him myself. I was just a bit surprised though, since nobody has ever used that term before.
    • July 20, 2010 9:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• July 20, 2010 12:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry Rod. That 2 hours flew by, and honestly that question never entered my mind. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I'm surprised that none of you asked HOW he came up with GUNK PUNK. I know he said WHY but not how....
    • July 20, 2010 1:14 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm surprised that none of you asked HOW he came up with GUNK PUNK. I know he said WHY but not how....
    • July 19, 2010 12:28 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

yeah i'm gonna b at work while this is happening.dang! IDON MINE said:
      OK, I'm half-containing myself... ONLY HALF!

AWESOME! HELLA SWELL!
      Now, that streaming business is all fine and dandy BUT you fine guys just (PLEASE) GOT to record that as a downloadable podcast!
      You are right, I could just snap it off the net with a audio-recording device when it airs, but I will be away from the internets at that time this is on, most possibly, so... big sissy wheep if I won't get to hear that one!
    • July 1, 2010 7:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You got it, brother! Its a weekly show called PDR, and they podcast it for ultra convenience. I'll post a link to it after the fact. IDON MINE said:
      OK, I'm half-containing myself... ONLY HALF!

AWESOME! HELLA SWELL!
      Now, that streaming business is all fine and dandy BUT you fine guys just (PLEASE) GOT to record that as a downloadable podcast!
      You are right, I could just snap it off the net with a audio-recording device when it airs, but I will be away from the internets at that time this is on, most possibly, so... big sissy wheep if I won't get to hear that one!
    • June 30, 2010 2:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, I'm half-containing myself... ONLY HALF! AWESOME! HELLA SWELL! Now, that streaming business is all fine and dandy BUT you fine guys just (PLEASE) GOT to record that as a downloadable podcast! You are right, I could just snap it off the net with a audio-recording device when it airs, but I will be away from the internets at that time this is on, most possibly, so... big sissy wheep if I won't get to hear that one!

Here for the stir

• June 29, 2010 10:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I figured if he's touring the states for his book, people could just ask him themselves in person(that is if they decide to go see him). I guess I meant to say this thread is better for places he's not stopping at or is not going to be before July 19th.
    • June 29, 2010 1:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Why's that? Anybody can phone in a question. They don't have to be outside the States for that! Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Well he's doing a book tour...I guess this thread would be better for people who aren't in the States.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• June 28, 2010 3:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well he's doing a book tour...I guess this thread would be better for people who aren't in the States.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel