Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: BRITISH BLUES INVASION

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 17, 2010 12:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What do you think about the phenomenon of British blues invasion?
      It's just a geographic distinction or it actually had peculiar differences
      from the other musical waves of that period?

Personally I love most of these bands as
      Downliners sect,Q65,Pretty Things,Creation,Kinks,Blossom Toes etc.
      It's just my impressions, I think they were maybe less "straight and punchy"
      instead of american garage bands,but lil' bit "soulful and pop".
      And the production work was a less ratified and much sought-after..
      As they inluenced lots of actual british bands in their unique style and sounds.

I don't mean worse or better, just two sides of the coin.

• June 23, 2010 7:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The leather jacket look was also picked up by Americans in the late 40s but it was picked up not for a gang look so much as it turned out to be the perfect protection in motorcycle riding, not just against the wind but also if you fall off your bike. But the leather jacket thing also became a rocker look. But that look wasn't adopted by the British Blues groups but by the groups who were into Elvis and Gene Vincent. Bands like the Stones and Pretty Things were art students who wore suede and buckskin shoes before they adopted the Beatle Boot look. And I do have to agree that even British Invasion Blues had a pop sound in terms of studio quality if not pop sounding numbers unlike a lot of American garage rock. But you have to remember that these groups wanted hits, not just a document of existence or something to get them a show at their local VFW hall. That DIY thing IS an American phenomenom. Ross Jesus Navaro Richards said:
      I make the idea that u guys were playing b52 bombers.. we had bristol blehmein night fighters! I DUNNO, the fact that the war had ended, still there were no facts about what daddy did in Africa or Italy etc, and no one dared challenge the goverment, or even talk about anything related. The kids were not getting answers to why mum had to always take her lil' helper, and why sometimes daddy shouted and screamed in his sleep, 20 years on. The kids had to find their own thing, nothing was provided, like i say, we had less to diversify and choose from. You guys over there had heavy machines man! it rubs off on youth. Faster heavier, i guess our sound was lighter, but because we didn't have that much to tune into, we could make it that wee bit more brit sounding.. And.. u guys picked up on the german fighter leather jacket thing as early as the late 40-s man! an early hells angels image.. we didn't! it all sort of relates no? And to nowadays also no? mmmmm...
    • June 19, 2010 11:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I make the idea that u guys were playing b52 bombers.. we had bristol blehmein night fighters! I DUNNO, the fact that the war had ended, still there were no facts about what daddy did in Africa or Italy etc, and no one dared challenge the goverment, or even talk about anything related. The kids were not getting answers to why mum had to always take her lil' helper, and why sometimes daddy shouted and screamed in his sleep, 20 years on. The kids had to find their own thing, nothing was provided, like i say, we had less to diversify and choose from. You guys over there had heavy machines man! it rubs off on youth. Faster heavier, i guess our sound was lighter, but because we didn't have that much to tune into, we could make it that wee bit more brit sounding.. And.. u guys picked up on the german fighter leather jacket thing as early as the late 40-s man! an early hells angels image.. we didn't! it all sort of relates no? And to nowadays also no? mmmmm...
    • June 17, 2010 4:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        2 0

Untitled

Yeah I'm with you on that thread Freddi, The Pretty Things, The Downliners Sect, The Yardbirds...are absolutely top quality names in my book, and of course what you are saying wasn't necessarily just the preserve of British groups, since you are taking into consideration the likes of mighty Dutch beat-punk-psychers Q65 - and of course you would have to add to that the OUTSIDERS - only one of the most innovative, superbly illuminating beat-psych era groups to ever have walked the planet - but certainly it's true for a lot of the UK groups, and especially those who had more than a modicum of forward-thinking philosophy, or at least stance and attitude, that things like production values would become more and more important as time marched on. You just need to wrap ears around everything from The Pretties' 'Emotions' LP, The Yardbirds' eponymous '66 blaster, and onto the likes of The Pink Floyd's phenomenal 'Piper' set and The Pretties' monumental 'S.F. Sorrow...Pure dead brilliant as we say in Scotland!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel