Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Andre Williams - That's All I Need

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 15, 2010 8:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

In a nutshell Andre Williams is a veteran of the Detroit rock scene of the 50s and 60s. He rubbed elbows with everyone from Stevie Wonder to Ike Turner. After those "halcyon days" ended he conquered his mortal addictions and found faith. In the last fifteen years Andre Williams has breathed new life into his music career. Churning out garage rock and country in equal spurts. Luckily on That's All I Need he keeps it basic and firms up Andre Williams "legend".
      "Tricks" by far is the best storytelling on the album. Each verse a lesson in Darwin's Survival of the Fittest, but clearly the street version instead of scientific mumbo jumbo. Like most of the other songs on the album the music is minimal, but on this song a lone guitar solo breaks the song in half. Then devolves into a repetitive cycle as the song fades away. "Cigarettes and My Old Lady" relies on a similar technique musically except using a repetitive acoustic riff and tambourine. Williams acknowledges that both cigarettes and his wife take a little bit out of him each day. Similarly "There Ain't No Such Thing as Good Dope" serves as a cautionary tale. Dope ruins the those larger than life and those that barely register on the social radar. "America" musically is the most fleshed out and the most defensive. There are moments when Williams is reminiscent of Tom Petty with a funk back bone. What is great about this album is that the music for once doesn't overwhelm Williams. Instead the music is backing up a great storyteller.
    • June 16, 2010 3:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Enjoyed your review of Andre's latest (even though I didn't like the album as much as you did.) Please post more! ANDRE!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel