Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Does anyone here remember the Little Girls?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 15, 2010 3:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know this is going to sound dumb, but I just discovered this band thanks to the Yum Yums. I saw the Yum Yums at Gooski's here in Pittsburgh last year in March, and I bought a copy of their latest CD. The last track on the CD is a song called "Earthquake Song," and it's a live track in which the Little Girls join the Yum Yums on stage. This song was released in 1983, but somehow I missed it. I guess I was too busy listening to Quiet Riot's cover of "Cum on Feel the Noize" at the time to take notice.

BTW, I know it was over a year ago when I first heard this song, and I meant to look up this band sooner, but I just kept forgetting about it. I get easily sidetracked. Now I'm friends with them on myspace.

Additionally, I have Little Steven to thank for this, in a very long, roundabout way. Little Steven got me into Vibeke Saugestad, which in turn got me into the Yum Yums, and now the Yum Yums helped me to discover the Little Girls.
    • June 25, 2010 3:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For mediocre albums, they were much better than what would follow each year by any of these bands. I thought they were OK for what they were. Not counting Judas Priest, almost all follow ups (albums 2 or 3) were downright abysmal. This isn't a metal forum so I'm not even gonna defend these groups but for 1982-84 and not having a clue, I thought they were pretty fun. I'm just glad that I was able to wise up. Of course, I had to make new friends. ; ) MikeL said:
      Well, I did buy some of that stuff, and I can attest that you didn't miss very much. Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" and Ratt's "Out of the Cellar" were incredibly mediocre albums. Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil" was only slightly better. However, I still have fond memories of Twisted Sister's "Stay Hungry" and Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance." Judas Priest had an old school sensibility that I liked, and Twisted Sister was a fun band if you took them for the joke they were meant to be. Back then, I was a real metal fan, and I still like to hear those songs on occasion; I just have no desire nowadays to buy CDs, or download mp3s, or go to see those bands during one of those package tours they do every summer. Right now, I'm waiting for next month to see Devo here in Pittsburgh, and I'm going to NYC to see Prima Donna (a true glam rock band along the lines of the New York Dolls and Mott the Hoople). I may also go to Cleveland next month to see the Cynics. Oh, and I just remembered something else; Teenage Fanclub is coming to Pittsburgh this October.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Yeah, I'm not proud of it, but I was listening to Cum On Feel The Noize, We're Not Gonna Take It, Shout At The Devil, Rock You Like A Hurricane, You Got Another Thing Comin', Round And Round and other stuff like that mostly because I still hadn't found out about punk or garage revival and I wanted to hear stuff with guitars. At least I didn't buy the stuff (not that I'm putting down others who did, I just never had any money).
      MikeL said:
      I still like that song, although nowadays it's more of a guilty pleasure. Back then, I seriously thought it was the greatest song ever.

I have nothing to add to this but I just thought that Quiet Riot comment was classic. Statements like that just send me to the floor. (Because it's so true)
    • June 25, 2010 7:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, I did buy some of that stuff, and I can attest that you didn't miss very much. Quiet Riot's "Metal Health" and Ratt's "Out of the Cellar" were incredibly mediocre albums. Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil" was only slightly better. However, I still have fond memories of Twisted Sister's "Stay Hungry" and Judas Priest's "Screaming for Vengeance." Judas Priest had an old school sensibility that I liked, and Twisted Sister was a fun band if you took them for the joke they were meant to be. Back then, I was a real metal fan, and I still like to hear those songs on occasion; I just have no desire nowadays to buy CDs, or download mp3s, or go to see those bands during one of those package tours they do every summer. Right now, I'm waiting for next month to see Devo here in Pittsburgh, and I'm going to NYC to see Prima Donna (a true glam rock band along the lines of the New York Dolls and Mott the Hoople). I may also go to Cleveland next month to see the Cynics. Oh, and I just remembered something else; Teenage Fanclub is coming to Pittsburgh this October. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Yeah, I'm not proud of it, but I was listening to Cum On Feel The Noize, We're Not Gonna Take It, Shout At The Devil, Rock You Like A Hurricane, You Got Another Thing Comin', Round And Round and other stuff like that mostly because I still hadn't found out about punk or garage revival and I wanted to hear stuff with guitars. At least I didn't buy the stuff (not that I'm putting down others who did, I just never had any money).
      MikeL said:
      I still like that song, although nowadays it's more of a guilty pleasure. Back then, I seriously thought it was the greatest song ever.

I have nothing to add to this but I just thought that Quiet Riot comment was classic. Statements like that just send me to the floor. (Because it's so true)
    • June 24, 2010 4:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I'm not proud of it, but I was listening to Cum On Feel The Noize, We're Not Gonna Take It, Shout At The Devil, Rock You Like A Hurricane, You Got Another Thing Comin', Round And Round and other stuff like that mostly because I still hadn't found out about punk or garage revival and I wanted to hear stuff with guitars. At least I didn't buy the stuff (not that I'm putting down others who did, I just never had any money). MikeL said:

• June 24, 2010 7:26 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I still like that song, although nowadays it's more of a guilty pleasure. Back then, I seriously thought it was the greatest song ever. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
    • June 23, 2010 8:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 17, 2010 10:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool! I hope I can get to see them. Gasser Dale said:
      Saw the Little Girls play a few years back with Nikki (Corvette) & the Stingrays, Thee Makeout Party, & the Riff Randells. Still played well and fun to see. Picked up a 45 EP at the show as well.
    • June 17, 2010 12:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Saw the Little Girls play a few years back with Nikki (Corvette) & the Stingrays, Thee Makeout Party, & the Riff Randells. Still played well and fun to see. Picked up a 45 EP at the show as well.
    • June 16, 2010 9:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I pretty much look for everything on amazon first, so that's why I wrote that. I hope you find something cool at the record store:) gina vah said:
      That's what I was trying to say. I was actually looking for it physically, without ordering from the internet. Also, at the record store there was another CD of theirs, I gotta go and check it out. I wonder what it is.
    • June 16, 2010 9:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's what I was trying to say. I was actually looking for it physically, without ordering from the internet. Also, at the record store there was another CD of theirs, I gotta go and check it out. I wonder what it is.
    • June 16, 2010 7:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There are some compilations available on amazon, if you're interested. gina vah said:
      Yes, and it's unbelieavable how this post comes after I bought their CD two days ago.
      I was so happy because I couldn't find it in Italy, even though I've been looking for it a lot.
      Great band. Indeed.
    • June 16, 2010 7:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Pop Detective, and if you order a copy from their website, the label owner will practically offer you sexual favors. kopper said:
      I don't think I know the Little Girls, but the Yum Yums are great. I think I have a couple of their albums. Fantastic power pop. What label is the new album on?
    • June 15, 2010 8:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't think I know the Little Girls, but the Yum Yums are great. I think I have a couple of their albums. Fantastic power pop. What label is the new album on?

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• June 15, 2010 7:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yes, and it's unbelieavable how this post comes after I bought their CD two days ago.
      I was so happy because I couldn't find it in Italy, even though I've been looking for it a lot.
      Great band. Indeed.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel