Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Killed By Death

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 27, 2010 9:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have the first four on Redrum, but there are so damned many out there... which volumes (outside of the first four, obiously) are the best? Have the best selections, best quality, etc.

Thanks!
      kopper

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 16, 2011 7:01 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

5,7.5,8,9,10 are gooduns. I'd skip 6 though.
    • October 14, 2010 12:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The first four are a great place to start, but I'd say that #5 and #6 are just as good (if not better) than the first four. They start to branch out into some of the more interesting European and Asian stuff, but keep a really good foothold in the ol' US of A. #5 has ESSENTIAL tracks by the Maggots, Dieter Meier, Hubble Bubble, Shit Dogs, Nubs and the Stalin. After #6 they start to get a little spotty, and they start to cover a lot of ground already covered on other comp series. Here's a few other comps and series really worth your time:

Smash the State 1-3 - A totally legit (ie. non-bootleg) comp series of Canadian KBD stuff. Very killer with great liner notes.
      Deep In The Throat of Texas - Another legit comp of Texan KBD stuff.
      Total Pop - Swedish KBD and powerpop stuff. But good like finding the LP. There were only 333 made.
      Bloodstains - A KILLER series of region specific punk comps. The best ones are (in my opinion) all the USA ones (Texas, California, Midwest), Yugoslavia (No, REALLY), The Scandanavian ones (Finland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden), Europe and both "Bloodstains Across the World".
      Where Birdmen Flew - an AMAZING Aussie collection.
      Hate Your Neighbours - Cool New Zealand KBD stuff.
      England Belongs to Me 1-3 - Great UK stuff that leans more towards the poppier side of KBD. These are GREAT. They're way better than the UK Bloodstains series.

Here's some good non-punk comps that are worth your time, too:
      Killed By Glam - Exactly like it sounds. Rare UK glam shit from the 70s. Cool if you like that kinda thing.
      Live to Ride, Ride To Live - Neat "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" comp. Most of it sounds like punk or oi with better musicianship and more polish. There's some really catchy shit on there.
    • June 29, 2010 1:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks! I'll try to hunt those down.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• May 28, 2010 9:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

they're a good stack, but there's a bunch more that stand up just as well. "no one left to blame"
      has the berlin brats' "psychotic" on it. "back seat love" volumes 1 & 2 both have some hits on 'em. the "powerpearls" series is equally fulfilling in the rare-and-hard-to-find category and offers up a slightly less "rough edge" to it. there's certainly no shortage of great comps to dig through- each and every one has got at least one or two good ones on it.....and that's just it- most of the tunes outside of the one or two standout jems are filler.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel