Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Radio What Wave from London, Ontario Canada...

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 7, 2014 7:03 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Mar 6/2014.  Psychos and Other Unusual Canadians   Part 2  

1. Bloodshot Bill....16 Chicks..recorded live on Just Another Punk Show on CHRW, 5/25/2007. Bloodshot Bill is a psycho in more ways than one and sorta summarizes the title of this show. And he's playing in London Tues Mar 11th at Call The Office along with Fireball Grant. And he's going to be interviewed by the yammer phone later on during this show!

2. Hank and Frank....Nancy Sinatra....from a late 80's demo that ended up on a What Wave cassette. The ultimate insane duo from London Ontario!

3. Tuerto Loco....Glaciers....recorded live on Radio WW 5/12/11. Features Hank the singing bookman on lead insanity and vocals. He might just have a buddy named Frank.

4. Shanker and Romps....Hole In My Sock...from the Pancakin' CD. Ottawa duo that appeal to the kid in us all! And they are a lot of fun live!

5. Shanker and Romps....Arboretum Arboretum...from the Sing For Your Summer CD....anyone that can sing a song about a tree museum is OK by me.

6. E. J. Brule...Tabarnak!Make My Day....from It Came From Canada Volume 4. A man who makes noises with his body....ya, really.

7. E.J. Brule...Killer Whale Attack....from It Came From Canada Volume 3. This one man musical/noise force came from Montreal and is still playing occasionally.

8. King Khan BBQ Show....Animal Party....from a 7" on Fat Possum Records from 2008.

9. Supreme Bagg Team...20th Century Dog Faced Boy...from their only LP on OG Records from 1989. Toronto combo featuring a singer who spent a lot of time either on the floor, or flying through the air. All in the name of fun.

10. Supreme Bagg Time....Crankin' With Elvis...from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood, an LP we put out with OG Records.

11. Battered Wives...Uganda Stomp...from a 1980 7". Toronto combo who were forced to change their name to The Wives due to protests...

12. The Curse....The Killer Bees....from a 1978 7" from Toronto. The first all female punk band from Toronto.

13. The Sinners....No Brains...from a 7" from this London combo. And the song title sums up this show.

Right around this time Bloodshot Bill phoned in to yammer about his big show on Tuesday at Call The Office, along with Fireball Grant. We yammered about touring, records and spaghetti flavoured lip balm. And yes, Bill is supposed to have some when he comes to London next week.

14. Bloodshot Bill....Martian Chicken...from the 10 " record on Squoodge Records.

15. Bloodshot Bill...Space Date....as above.

16. Bloodshot Bill...Rat Fink....from the Rockabilly Trash LP.

17. Bloodshot Bill...5 and 10....as above and usually a staple of Bill's live show.

18. Bloodshot Bill...Blue Days, Black Nights....from The Lonesome Road LP on Norton Records, Bill's latest.

19. UJ3RK5...Anglican....from their 1980 12" on Polygram. Out of Vancouver and had David Wisdom, host of CBC's Brave New Waves, a highly influential radio show from the 80's and 90's across Canada.

20. UJ3RK5...Locater....as above.

21. Robbie Rox....The World Is Mad....from Construction Site, his 1980 debut LP. Toronto singer who had a shaved head and looked like a wrestler, decades before it wa a cool look. Combine that with his falsetto, and you've got the perfect candidate for this radio show!

22. Robbie Rox...Raw....from the LP of the same name.

23. Robbie Rox....Reeming Me....from the Construction Site and had to cut this one short as we ran out of time, but not tunes.

Thanx for all the phone ins tonite, there were lots. Thanx for the emails, facebook messages and Heys!. And thanx for tuning in to part 2, next week we continue with part 3 of Psychos and Other Unusual Canadians.

You can listen to the archived show at:

http://chrwradio.ca/programs/radio-what-wave

• March 14, 2014 8:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Mar 13/2014    Part 3  Psychos and Other Unusual Canadians.

Our third and final installment of this special. Hope you enjoyed listening to some of these bands that seldom get airplay, maybe brought back some memories or even introduced you to some obscure Canadian combo you didn't know existed. And thanx for all the phone-ins during these 3 parts, it's been overwhelming!!

1. Tommy Ambrose....End Of The World...late 50's rockabilly from a cassette that Dave Clarke made for us many years ago.

2. Ratwurst....Stupid People...from their self titled CD. This was 2 of the members of Drums Along The Gardiner (80's garage combo from Toronto) who got together for this strange little project in the mid 90's.

3. Jack Pedlar...Effigy Camp...from the DT Delinquent CD. 2003 CD from Hamilton's Jack Pedlar, probably best known as the drummer for Teenage Head. Regular listener Gary Pig Gold was involved in this project.

4.King Khan....I Wanna Be A Girl....from the Supreme Genius Of King Khan CD. Now based in Germany, this guy and band pack it in worldwide. When they played sleepy London Ontario several years back, the band onstage outnumbered the crowd. And they still put on a killer show!!

5. Flying Squad...Come And Play....mid 80's demo from this London Ontario combo. London's only biker rock combo and they boasted the vocal talents of Tim Murphy. One of the best vocalists to come out of London, as long as you didn't have to watch his facial antics! They were loved or hated, no inbetween with this combo.

6. Flying Squad...Health Food...from Mr Garager's Neighbourhood LP on OG Records. We've played this song many times on Radio WW and will continue to do so.

7. Flying Squad....Brian Mulroney....early 90's demo w/Kerry Piper now on vocals. This is a love song for a former Prime Minister of Canada.

8. Jim Ashby....Speed City....from a 7" on Speed City Records. Originally issued when Jim was a DJ on one of London's AM radio stations, during London's reign as speed capitol of Canada....now we're known as the serial killer capitol of the world!! What a fucked up city we live in!!! Getting back on topic, this is my favourite record to ever come out of sleepy London Ontario!!!

9. Chris Houston....Einstein's Brain's In Hamilton...2013 7" from this topical singer songwriter. Former member of Forgotten Rebels and writer of Surfin' On Heroin, this guy has one screwed up (but honest) take on this fucked up world we live in. And if true, this song explains why Hamilton is much cooler than sleepy London Ontario.

10.The Weirdies....Frankenstein's Daughter...from the In 3D CD. Toronto trio from a couple of years ago and their drummer, Stacey Case is now in The Noble Savages who you'll be hearing on next week's show.

11. The Government....It Must Be God....an excerpt from Electric Eye LP, from 1979. Toronto trio who should have gone on to big things, but are largely forgotten and were not even mentioned in Treat Me Like Dirt, the story of the Toronto punk scene. One of my fave Toronto combos from that era, they never did play London and i didn't get to see them until late 1981 and by that time, were a shadow of their former selves. This LP supposedly went along with a video....can anyone help me locate this??

12. The Government....Flat Tire....from a 7" EP from 1979. Bought this as soon as i heard it on the old 6X radio station...the first radio station to acknowledge punk rock here in sleepy London and bless them for introducing me to so many bands!

13. The Government...Hemingway Hated Disco Music....first 7" by this combo and took me several years to find.

14. The Leather Uppers....She Digs Death...from a 7" from 1992. Toronto duo, their first ever out of town show was right here in sleepy London Ontario. They were supposed to have a 2 night gig at the Brunswick, but were fired after the first night. They were way ahead of their time and sleepy London didn't get it! So what else is new?  I just happen to have been in attendance for part of the show and have a live audio tape to prove it.....someday i might play it on air.

15. Deja Voodoo...Pyramid....live on CBC radio and features the soothing voice of David Wisdom (Brave New Waves, Nightlines and other highly influential radio shows) introducing the band.

16.Deja Voodoo...Monsters In My Garage....from the OG LP, Live At The Backstage Pass...recorded live in Finland by this Montreal duo. Deja Voodoo were fairly popular on the Canadian college radio scene in the mid to late 80's. Their record label, OG Records had the best of the Canadian underground bands on it during this time period! Their It Came From Canada series of LP's are essential listening for fans of Canadian music from that era.And big thanx to Bloodshot Bill for playing this song at Call The Office the other night and dedicating it to me!!

17. Deja Voodoo....Call Link Wray...from their 1988 LP, Big Pile Of Mud. When all else fails, call Link Wray!!! There was some psycho that used to yell out Link Wray really loudly when bands were playing here in London! Think he hosts a radio show on CHRW now....

18. Deja Voodoo...Some Things Just Don't Wash Off....as above.

19.Dik Van Dykes....Green Slime....from the Nobody Likes....LP on OG Records. Hamilton combo who were highly entertaining live! And they summarize this show to a T!

20. Dik Van Dykes...Lost In Space....fromthe Waste Mor Vinyl LP on OG Records...they only released 2 LP's and a cassette, all worth searching for.

21. Dik Van Dykes...Obvious Filler...from the Nobody Likes LP....perfect title for this song.

22. The Evaporators....EvatonesSoundsheets....from the Gassy Jack and Other Tales LP. This is Narduar the Human Serviettes combo. He still has a radio show in Vancouver and still does lots and lots of hilarious, yet intelligent interviews with famous people. He's a Canadian Icon!!

Thanx for all the emails, phone calls, facebook messages and Heys!!! And thanx for tuning in to the madness each week!  Back again next week with lots of new music and who knows what else.

You can listen to the podcast at:

• March 21, 2014 6:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist, March 20/2014

1. Whipping Wind....Don't Get Into It....4 song CD that probably came with a 7" they put out in 2011. Local combo with some power pop tendencies.

2. Danny Laj...Queen St West...from a 4 song CD that Boppa Do Down released kn 2012. Powerpop trio and Danny was the 1000th person to join the Radio What Wave facebook page, so we sent him a coupla tunes!

3. Danny Laj...Alien Ate Some People....from a 12" called The Match. Toronto based powerpop trio.

4. The Cheap Speakers...She Has A System...from their Switches and Levers CD. Toronto combo playing their last gig tonite in Toronto.

5. Madhouse....Mystery Train....80's demo and the part of our show dedicated to singer/guitarist Richard Carstens who passed away this week. Richard wrote this song and gave it to UIC and they released it on their live LP on OG Records.

6. Madhouse...Writing On Benzedrine....1983 demo.

7. The Wammee....Headjob...from an early 90's cassette called Walkin' Sideways. Another Richard Carstens lead combo.

8. The Monks....Monk Time...from the Black Monk Time LP from 1966. This goes out to guitarist/vocalist Gary Burger who passed away earlier this week. Gary was active recording and producing up until very recently. 

9. The Monks...Shut Up....as above.

10. Das Furlines....Boys Are Boys....recorded live at Call The Office 6/5/1986. The Das Furlines were an all female tribute band to The Monks and this is one of their only surviving recordings. They were a LOT of fun live to see....you shoulda been there, there were at least 30 of us at the show!

Das Furlines....Call The Office 6/5/1986

11. The Monks...Complication....from the Let's Start A Beat! CD recorded live at Cavestomp in NYC 1999. This was The Monks very first performance in North America.

12. Pack AD....Airborne....from the Do Not Engage CD. They were in London on St Pat's Day here in London and put on a fine show! They surprised me by playing The Cramps Teenage Werewolf. Guitarist Becky liked the song and that's one of the few covers Pack AD ever do.

Becky Black of Pack AD. APP 3/17/2014

13. Masked Boy....Bed Spins....from the brand new Self Loathing CD. One man band from Wheatley Ontario.

14. Nazi Drugs....Bride Of Yee Sook Ree....from the Dawn On Me CD. Pennsylvania studio duo who have released several CD's recently.

15. Noble Savages....The Music Will Kill You....from a brand new self released CD. Hamilton Ontario combo.

16. Dead City Soul Review....Breaking The Shackles Of Love....brand new recording and first time ever aired on the radio. Another Hamilton combo who are about to release a CD.

Dead City Soul Review, Call The Office 1/16/2014

17. Connexions....I'll Get You In The End....from the Connections 4 CD. Newfoundland garage/powerpop combo.

18. Heart Attack Kids...Daydream....from the Hooligans CD. 2 piece outta London Ontario.

Right around this time, Ryan In The Red dropped by to yammer on air about his podcast called Rock City Madness which is available on the garagepunk hideout website. Ryan used to do In The Red that was on CHRW for about 10 years and we've been pals that long! The next edition of Rock City Madness is due on April Fool's Day!! Thanx for dropping by Ryan!

19. Dark Carnival....Anybody Can Fuck Her....from the Greatest Show In Detroit LP. The rest of this show goes out to drummer Scott 'Rock Action' Asheton who passed away this week.

20. The Stooges....Real Cool Time....from the self titled debut LP. And this is where our sister show, Real Cool Time got their name! RCT is heard every tuesday at 6PM on CIUT FM from Toronto and feature Rocky and Deena on the sticks!

21. The Stooges....Loose....from Funhouse.

22. The Stooges...I Wanna Be Your Dog....from the first LP.

23. The Stooges...TV Eye...from Funhouse

Thanx for all the emails, phone calls, facebook messages and Heys!!! And thanx for tuning in to the madness each week! Back again next week with lots of new music and who knows what else.

• March 28, 2014 5:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist, March 27/2014

1. The Spitfires....I Don't Care....from the Not Yer Buddy's Compilation Volume 3, on the Not Yer Buddy's label out of Vancouver.

2. Hanson Brothers...Blitzkrieg Hops...from the Gross Misconduct CD from 1992. Hanson Brothers are in town at CTO tonite. And this is a song about making your own beer, something i've been doing for many years. Check out Brewhaven here in London, where you can make your own beer or get supplied to make it at home. Been going there for around 10 years.

3. The Viletones....Possibilities....from A Taste Of Honey CD on OPM Records. Coupla London connections in this one as former CHRW DJ Simon Less (best DJ name ever as he would get kicked off for profanity in songs) worked his aural magic on the re-mixing (along with Chris Spedding...you know, the guy who produced some of The Sex Pistols recordings). This is on Jan Haust's OPM label in 1994.

4. The Forgotten Rebels....American In Me....from the Nobody's Hero's CD from 2000, also on OPM Records. And that's our dose of 70's Canpunk for this week's show!

5. Dustbin Flowers....Bayside Jenny....from their recent CD.

6. Dustbin Flowers....She Smiles....as above. Local combo that i haven't caught live yet....but really want to!

7. Mere Humans....Temple....recent demo from this Ottawa trio.

8. Nazi Drugs....Eye Candy....from the Went Dawn On Me CD.  Pennsylvania duo who record, but don't play out live.

9. Frankie And Jimmy....Who Do You Love?  From their soon to be released LP, Scream The Blues. 2 piece blues combo from Hamilton Ontario.

10.The Mogs...Swamp Love...from the El Mogamundo CD on What Wave Records.  Burlington/Hamilton combo who will be playing next friday night in Brantford Ontario at Therapy Lounge.

11. Noble Savages.....Harlot...from their latest CD. Hamilton combo who have just agreed to be on Transistor 66 Records.

12. Teenage Head....Your Sister Used To Love Me....from the Electric Guitar LP from 1988. Guitarist Gordie Lewis will be playing a tribute to Scott Asheton this coming Wednesday at This Ain't Hollywood. Also on the bill are Noble Savages and Lucy Fur is DJ'ing.

13. Teenage Head....Dance With Your Doll....from the Can't Stop Shakin' 12" from 1987. You can never have enough Teenage Head!

14. Dead City Soul Review....Angel Lee....from their latest recording session. Formerly known as The Hook Up, they will be releasing a CD soon.

15. The Ballantynes....Sickos...from the Liquor Store, Gun Store, Pawn Shop Church EP on La Ti Da Records. Just got this one and it's some great modern soul from Vancouver.

16. The Reply....I Must Stop....from the Downtown Soul CD. This is a great live combo who tend to play Northern Ontario and do quite well.

17. The Flamin' Groovies....Shake Some Action....from the LP of the same name. This is a song that Psycho Daisies usually play for me and they are playing at the St Regis on Saturday night, here in sleepy London.  And there's a kickstarter campaign to help finance a documentary on the Flamin' Grooves!!

18. Fireball Grant....York Hotel....recorded live on Radio What Wave 10/31/14. Great one man band from Watford Ontario, a little siding on the CNR mainline between here and Sarnia Ontario.

19. Daddy Longlegs....Death Train Blues....from the Evil Eye On You on Norton Records. Killer 3 piece outta NYC!

20. Fred and Toody....Johnny's Got A Gun....recorded live on WFMU Distort on 12/10/13. Fred had heart surgery just recently and we wish him well!

21. Neo Boys...Poor Man's Jungle...from the brand new double LP Sooner Or Later. This is recordings done by Portland's Neo Boys between 1978 and 1980 and was released on K Records. This song in particular, sounds a lot like The Zellots, who are from the same era.

22. Neo Boys...Abnormal Chick...as above, but a much earlier, rawer track.

23. The Connexions...Ridin' On The Streetcar....from the Connect 4 CD. Newfoundland garage/power pop combo who are on the garagepunk hideout.

24. Dave Campbell... The Time Is Now....from the Finding The Real CD.  Local artist whose CD you can pick up at Grooves, it's at the front of the store and it's free!!

25. Drug Dealerz....Mayor Ford....timely demo.

26. Needles/Pins....I Don't Mind....from their 12:34 LP on La Ti Da Records. Brand new and this combo is from Vancouver.

Thanx for all the emails, phone calls, facebook messages and Heys!!! And thanx for tuning in to the madness each week! Back again next week with lots of new music and who knows what else.

• April 4, 2014 7:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Apr 3/2014

1. DOA....Whatcha Gonna Do....recorded live at Fryfogles, London Ontario 1/24/83. This is our tribute to Dave Gregg, guitarist for DOA from 1980 to 1988. Fryfogles was located on Dundas St in downtown London, right about where the public library presently is.

2. DOA....Unknown....from the Hardcore 81 LP. DOA were among the first of the hardcore punk combos, and live, they were razor sharp back in this time  period.

3. DOA...Liar For Hire....from the War On 45 EP, the first DOA record that was easily found in stores.

4. DOA....The Prisoner....1985 live in Minneapolis....no idea where i got this live tape from.

5. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Teachers Pet....from the Powerfist! CD that just happened to be in my mailbox at CHRW. Thanx guys!! JT plays on saturday night at Call The Office as part of the It's Trash Record Release Party.....8 bands (all of which are on the 7") for only $5 cover.

6. Steve Adamyk....High Above....from a brand new La Ti Da 7". They are coming to Call The Office April 25th with Sonic Avenues.

7.Bitchlove....Picket Fences....from the recent Stigma 7" lathe cut record.

8. Heart Attack Kids...Cold Hands....from the Hooligans download.

9. Graham Day and The Forefathers....Love Me Lies....from a recent 7". Graham Day was the singer/guitarist for The Prisoners, UK based 60's garage combo that moved in a mod direction through their lifetime.

10. The Prisoners...Better In Black....from the Skydog LP, A Taste Of Pink from 1983.

11. The Stranglers...Feel Like A Wog....from the 1977 No More Heroes LP.

12. Young Rival....Poinsonous Moves...from their debut CD. Young Rival plays Call The Office April 18th.

13. The Balantynes....Let It Rain...from the Liquor Store, Gun Store, Pawn Shop, Church EP. Brand new and on La Ti Da Records from Vancouver.

14. Sounds From A Room...Revival....2008 CD from this Toronto combo.

15. Sick Fits...New Fashion Kicks...from their self titled 2007 CD on Full Breach Kicks. Ottawa combo.

16. Nox Boys....I Don't Care....from their self titled debut LP on Get Hip Records. Pittsburgh teenagers who recorded in Detroit with Jim Diamond.

17. Vibrating Beds...What You Do...from a 7" EP on Transistor 66 Records outta Winnipeg

18. Kumari...Time Is Now...from a 7" on Lost In Tyme Records. UK combo with some ties to the excellent Shindig zine.

19. Marshmallow Overcoat....Knights Of Fuzz....from the 26 Ghosts CD. The best of double LP that we've been yammering about for weeks has just arrived at Marshmallow Overcoat HQ's and will be shipping out in the next little while. We'll be spinning that one when it arrives!

20. Neo Boys....Time Keeps Time...from the Sooner Or Later double LP on K records that just came out. Late 70's all girl combo from Portland.

21. Angry Dragons....Girlfriend....from their only 7" on Transistor 66 Records outta Winnipeg.

22. The Fleshtones...On Our Own....from the Fleshtones Vs Reality LP. The Fleshtones play This Ain't Hollywood in Hamilton on Thursday April 10th....where i'll be headed right after next week's show!

23. The Fleshtones...Hitsburg....from the Solid Gold LP. The Fleshtones are in my top 3 fave bands of all time.....The Fleshtones, Flamin' Groovies and The Cramps.....lots of others just behind, like early Rolling Stones, early Gun Club, The Government and so many others depending on my mood.

24. The Fleshtones...Feels Good To Feel Good....from the Take A Good Look LP.

25. The Fleshtones....Rats In My Kitchen...from the Brooklyn Sound Solution LP

Thanx for all the emails, phone calls, facebook messages and Heys!!! And thanx for tuning in to the madness each week! Back again next week with lots of new music and who knows what else...but definitely some Fleshtones!!!!   And don't forget the It's Trash Record Release party happening on saturday night at Call The Office!

• April 11, 2014 7:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist April 10/2014

1. Hank and Frank....Robert Q Public....late 80's demo from this duo, one of whom is presently in Tuerto Loco, who are playing at the St Regis on Saturday night. The other half, is Frank from Sci-Phonics, Uranus and many other local combos.

2. Hank And Frank....Nancy Sinatra....late 80's demo and this one appeared on a What Wave cassette compilation many years ago. One of the best songs to ever come out of sleepy London Ontario.

3. Dead City Soul Review....Breaking The Shackles Of Love...from their latest demo.

4. Masked Boy....Dead In The Water...from the Self Loathing download....one man band, possibly from Wheatley Ontario

5. Weirdonia....Good Fight....from their latest, Space Heads. Also from Wheatley Ontario and just might have a Masked Boy in the band.

6. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...I'm Not Like Everybody Else....from the Power Fist demos.

7. Blue Squares....2 + 2 =....from a radio session. Detroit combo found on the Garagepunk Hideout.

8. The Mogs...Run Like Hell....from the El Mogamundo CD.

9. Finders/Keepers.....Red Riding....from a 7" from this Ottawa combo that can be found on the Garagepunk Hideout.

10. Heartbreakers....Born To Lose...from the Blank Generation, NY Scene compilation CD from Rhino Records. This goes out to Leee Black Childers, documenter of the NY scene from the Warhol Factory days onwards.

11. Heartbreakers... Get Off The Phone....from the LAMF LP.

12. Lou Reed....Vicious....from the Transformer LP from 1972.

13. Excelsior....Wild Life Death...from the It's From London 7" compilation  record that just came out.

14. Don't Touch The Dancers....My Conscience...as above.

15. Bath Salts...Makes Me Press Rewiind....as above.

16. Steve Adamyck....Hate Myself...from a recent 7" on La Ti Da Records....Steve will be in town April 25 at Call The Office, along with Sonic Avenues.

17. Foreign Objects....Wrestling Is Real....deom rhw Into The Squared Circle LP on Breakthrough Records. We've got the promoter for the big wrestling event happening in London on April 26th coming onair to talk about the show on April 24th. There will also be a couple of wrestlers coming live on air, so just about anything could happen during that show.

18. Drug Dealerz....Mayor Ford....recent demo, again found this band on the Garagepunk Hideout.

19. Young Rival...Too Hip...from their debut CD from 2008. Young Rival are at Call The Office on Friday April 18th.

20. Young Rival....Get What You Need....from their debut LP on Sonic Unyon from 2010.

21. Ian Dury....Sweet Gene Vincent....from a 1977 7"

22. Sci-Phonics....I'm Ready....recorded live at The Road Apple, 1/12/1986. Local combo who were supposed to play in London on saturday night, but one of them couldn't make it at the last minute.

23. Frankie and Jimmy....Just Like A Woman....from the soon to be released LP, Scream The Blues.

24. The Fleshtones....The Dreg....from the Roman Gods LP. Saw The Fleshtones right after this show and always, they put on an Amazing show!!! The Greatest live band on the planet!!

25. The Fleshtones....I've Gotta Change My Life....as above.

26. The Fleshtones...Blow Job....from the More Than Skin Deep LP.

27. The Fleshtones....Girl From Baltimore....from their first 12" from 1980.

28. The Fleshtones....I Can Breathe....from the Powerstance! LP

Thanx for the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!! And a big thanx to all that tuned in, and/or listened to the podcast!!

Next week, we've got an all vinyl (that's records!!) show as i'll be playing only 7" records of the garagepunk variety from the 60's! Why? Not only because we can, but Saturday April 19th is Record Store Day. Go out and support your local record store by purchasing some records, CD's, zines, or whatever!! We gotta keep these guys in business and the only way is by putting money down on the counter!!

We've still got some real bricks and mortar stores here in sleepy London Ontario; Grooves, Speed City, Village Idiot, LA Mood (records downstairs), City Lights (upstairs) and a few other stores that stock a few records.

• April 18, 2014 9:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist, April 17/2014...... All 7" Garagepunk singles from the 60's

Yet another special here on Radio What Wave, this time i'm playing only 7" singles from the 60's of the garagepunk flavour. No Cd's, no re-issues, no downloads, no CD's, no LP's!! Just straight 7" records like they played on the radio back in the 60's. Why? To celebrate Record Store Day which is happening around the world on Saturday April 19th!

1. Blue Cheer....Summertime Blues....on the Philips label and for most of us, this was our first exposure on the radio to this song. Originally done by Eddie Cochran back in the late 50's and has since become a rockabilly classic!

2. Electric Prunes...I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night....on the Reprise label and a killer tune that was used in a detective type TV show in the mid 80's w/Dennis Farina called Crime Story. They used a lot of great tunes and imagery in that series.

3. Mackenzie....Journey To The Center Of Your Mind....on the Maxim label and it's Canadian by the MAPL symbol. I know squat about this one and need some help???? Google didn't help me at all on this one....Produced by T. Washkowski. Anyone????

4. The Seeds....1000 Dreams...on the GNP Crescendo Label, a label that still exists to this day!! Singer/leader Sky Saxon picked the wrong day to pass, as Michael Jackson overshadowed him. We were supposed to see Sky Saxon at the Wooly Weekend in Montreal back in 2009...

5. The Haunted....1-2-5....Montreal Rolling Stones fans who ruled that city back in the 60's. Check out their full story in the latest editions of Ugly Things. Our pal Alex Taylor tells the history of the band and the Montreal scene of the time.

6. The Haunted....Mona....on the Jet Records label. Picked this up at a London Ontario record show from the managed of The Haunted who was getting rid of tons of these (and the above).

7. The Haunted....The Twist.

8. Ugly Ducklings....She Ain't No Use To Me....on the York Town label and Toronto's answer to The Rolling Stones. These guys even opened for The Stones at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

9. Ugly Ducklings....Just In Case You Wonder....one of the very first singles i bought as a kid! The guitar solo blew my mind then, and still does to this day!!

10. Ugly Ducklings....Rimb Nugget...on the Yorkville label and the flip of their only hit, Gaslight. 

11. A Passing Fancy....I'm Losing Tonight....another Toronto combo, this single version heard here, kicks the ass of the version on their LP.

12. The Quid....Crazy Things....on the Eagle Records label. From somewhere in Northern Ontario, way beyond Buttfuck, Ontario. 

13. 49th Parallel....Citizen Freak...on the RCA Victor label. From Calgary, and this is my fave single by them. Also covered by Nardwuar and the Evaporators several years back.

14. The Northwest Company....Get Away From It All. From Vancouver, but not my fave band from there as Painted Ship win hands down. But i don't have any Painted Ship singles....yet.

15. Chocolate Watchband....Sweet Young Thing....the west coast's answer to The Rolling Stones.

16. The Music Machine....Masculine Intuition....on the Original Sound label...black with silver text. 

17. The Music Machine....Talk Talk....on the REO Label...

18. Churchmice.....College Psycology (sic) On Love...on the House Of Guitars label and autographed by Armand Schoaubroeck in 1965. Total demented, fucked up sound from these criminally insane teenagers! The inept guitarist sounds like he's deliberatly trying to go outta tune!! The kind of stuff that puts a shit eating grin on my noggin'!! Armand and his brothers have the House Of Guitars warehouse/store of records and musical instruments in Rochester, NY. Check it out if you're ever in that area!

19. The Perils....Hate....perfect song to follow Churchmice!

20. 13th Floor Elevators....Tried To Hide...the flip side of You're Gonna Miss Me and on the IA Label. Roky Erickson is back playing and well worth checking out if you get a chance!

21. Count 5....Psychotic Reaction...on the Apex Label and a Caadian pressing.

22. The Arrows...Blue's Theme....on the Tower label and features Davie Allen on guitars.

23. Syndicate Of Sound....Little Girl....on the Bell Records label.

24. Shadows Of Knight....Gloria...on the Dunwich label outta Chicago. Originally done by Them, this is the North American version for us colonists!!

25. The Underdogs....Judy Be Mine....on the Hideout label outta Detroit.

26. Cherry Slush...I Cannot Stop You....on the USA Records label and outta Detroit. Dick Wagner, who was later in The Frost and Alice Cooper Band (amongst others) was involved in this one.

Hope you dug this noise cause i sure did!!! It's way more fun to play records than all that digital stuff! Pops, clicks, static and other noises are all part of real life!! Next week it's an all wrestling special as we have Mark Livingstone, the promoter for the Hardcore Wrestling Federation, Leah Von Dutch, female grappler and Hijo De Rey Misterio as guests!!! The big wrestling show is happening on Saturday April 26th at the London Ukranian Center right here in sleepy London Ontario!

We've still got some real bricks and mortar stores here in sleepy London Ontario; Grooves, Speed City, Village Idiot, LA Mood (records downstairs), City Lights (upstairs) and a few other stores that stock a few records.

• May 1, 2014 11:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist April 24/2014. All Wrestling Special

We had Hardcore Roadtrip promoter Mark Livingstone and wrestler Al The Killer on as special guests as there was a HUGE Hardcore Roadtrip show happening in London on Saturday April 26th.

1. Foreign Objects....Wrestling Is Real....from the Into The Squared Circle LP on Breakthrough Records.

2. Tijuana Bibles....Custom Made Man....from the Custom Made CD

3. Tijuana Bibles...Suplex....from the Apartment Wrestling CD.

4. Fred Blassie....No Doubt About It....from the Pencil Neck Geek LP.

5. Fred Blassie....King Of Men....as above.

6. Foreign Objects....The Genius Of Lou Albano....from the Into The Squared Circle LP.

7. Fred Blassie...Pencil Neck Geek....from the Pencil Neck Geek LP

8. Fred Blassie....US Male...as above.

9. Tijuana Bibles....Showdown....from the Custom Made CD.

10. The Crusher....The Novas....from a Back From The Grave compilation.

11. Bruiser Brody....Victoria....from a compilation CD called No Vinyl Records

12. Psychotic Turnbuckles....The Crusher....from a 12" on Rattlesnake Records.

13. Legend Killers...Gonna Snap...from the We're Working On It CD.

14. Mighty Ions....Pedro Morales....from the Face Rackin' Rock LP.

Hope you enjoyed this wrestling show as it was a blast having Killer Al on telling us tales of wrestling the former legends!! Big Thanx to Killer Al and Mark Livingstone for making time to appear on Radio What Wave.

And now we can add some points....the Hardcore Roadtrip shows (afternoon and evening) were a Huge hit from the fan's perspective. Great matches, almost all the wrestlers showed up, lots of merch etc.  But at the end of the night, promoter Mark was nowhere to be found! Apparently he faked a heart attack and had to be taken to the hospital by his wife. Leaving most of the talent unpaid and with no rides to the airports they were to depart from early the next morn. There's video on youtube of some of the wrestlers and the booker complaining to the crowd and near the end asking for willing fans to drive them to airports. A hell of a way to end a Great show!

I left during the last match as it was too bloody for me and didn't get to witness any of the above. When leaving i thought it was very odd that there wasn't anyone to try and sell me a ticket to the next show! I did get to meet Too Cold Scorpio on the way out and thanked him for putting on such great matches over the years.

As an aside, KillerAl (who only wrestled the afternoon show and was paid) who was onair and did a spot on show, we'll have him back sometime next month to talk about the league he usually wrestles in, the CCW.

• May 13, 2014 10:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist May 8/2014. All Teenage Head show to help celebrate the book release of: Gods Of The Hammer

1. The Flamin' Groovies....Teenage Head....from the LP of the same name and this is where Teenage Head got their name back in 1975.

2. Teenage Head....Picture My Face....live recording from 10/31/78 and broadcast on Q107 in Toronto.

3. Teenage Head...Little Boxes....as above.

4. Teenage Head....Tearin' Me Apart....their first single from 1978.

5. Teenage Head...Top Down....another 7" from 1978 and my absolute fave version of Top Down as they bring in the motorcycle sound effects and the Beach Boy style harmony vocals. If they had broken up at this point, this record would have made them legends in their own time....but Teenage Head did so many more things in their career....ie manic performances, riots, appeared in a movie or 2, released many records, CD's etc.

6. Teenage Head....Curtain Jumper....from their self titled debut LP that came out in 1979. If you're searching for their first LP, go for the second issue on OPM Music from 1981....WAY better mix and the picture on the rear cover of the LP is smaller than the original. The difference between the 2 releases is quite apparent on even a casual listen.

7. Teenage Head...Wild One.....recorded live in Edmonton 2/1980 and broadcast over the radio. Around this time, the band was moving towards it's peak. Constant gigging, partying and touring across Canada to insane audiences!! Then the SHIT started to happpen....if you were in Toronto on June 2/1980, the place to be was Ontario Place, an outdoor facility which was hosting live bands. On the bill, the one man band Nash The Slash!! Master of the tape loop, electric mandolin, electric violin, load of other electronic noises as well as being covered in tape from head to toe. Yep, this was the act to catch......except Nash was opening up for out heroes, Teenage Head!! The streetcars, trolleys and subways were packed with kids going to see Teenage Head at this show. Hot on their second LP, Frantic City and the AM radio (but only in Canada) Let's Shake, this was the band to see....unfortunatly WAAAYYYY too many people showed up and couldn't get in or were turned away. What do you do when you can't get in to a free show, why you riot!! Destroy a few police cars and join in on the ultraviolence and scare the shit out of the average Torontonian! And the final result, no more bands playing at Ontario Place, a ban that was in effect for several years due to the shit that went down.

And now we go to September 1980 and the band has a major car accident on the way back from a gig. Guitarist Gord Lewis is out of commission and won't be playing guitar for almost a year!! All those plans to go to the US have been put on hold. A fill in guitarist, David Bendith is recruited and the band soldiers on, playing only in Canada and this delays the finishing of the 3rd LP.

8. Teenage Head....Total Love....from the Frantic City LP 1980.

9. Teenage Head....Let's Shake....single version from 1980.

10.Teenage Head....Get Off My Back....live at The Spoke and Rim, Western University 2/18/1981. I recorded this live from CHRW back when it was broadcast live over the airwaves. It was only available on cablecast and only a portion of the city could pick it up. I lived with my parents at this time and was able to tape the entire show. Included are some great Frankie and Nick quotes, both battling for supreme smartassery!! A few of the comments probably should have been censored at the time, but what the fuck!!! It's rock and roll and how else would you ever learn that Elvis Costello was hung like the heater hose on a Mac truck?? And that he had Frankie's eyes popping out of his skull like a fish on the line....important trivia that we all need to know....and what was Frankie hinting about happened between him and Keith Demic...hahahahaha.

11. Teenage Head....Kissin' The Carpet.....as above. And did you know London is the VD capitol Canada? Not only have Teenage Head mentioned it, but also the Brutal Knights! Therefore it must be fact!! Why do you think Keith Demic was singing about 'wear your raincoat in the rain'?

12. Teenage Head...Something Else....as above.

13. Teenage Head....C'mon Everybody.....as above.

14. Teenage Head....Teenage Beer Drinkin' Party....from the Some Kinda Fun LP

Right around this time our good pal Dave Rave phoned in to talk about all things Teenage Head. Dave was in the band at the begininng and joined fulltime around 82/83 and eventually replaced Frankie when he left.

15. Dave Rave....Picture My Face....recorded live on Radio What Wave 8/1/13 when we had Dave on for a full show!!!

There was sooooooo much more Teenage Head that i wanted to play....we'll have to do part 2 one of these days! Big Thanx to Dave Rave for making the time for us here at Radio WW!!! Hope you enjoyed our little chat with Dave and our Teenage Head special!

Next week, we celebrate Ray Condo Day as it's Ray Condo Day in Toronto on May 16th!! We'll be playing only Ray Condo music....some of his punk stuff, Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners and some of his later swing material!! There'll be lots of rare and live stuff from the WW Archves throughtout the show AND,  we'll be chatting with Gayle Hurmuses who will be releasing a photo book about Ray Condo on the 16th. It'll be an action packed show you don't want to miss!!!

See ya next week!

And here's a link to the podcast:

• May 23, 2014 7:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist May 15/2014. Ray Condo Special

1. Secret V's....Modern Boy....from their self titled debut EP from 1980. Ray Condo was known as Radial and played bass on this one. Secret V's played the Cedar Lounge around this time, but when asked many years ago, all Ray could remember was the crappy rooms they stayed in above the bar.

2. Secret V's....Rosse Rosse....from the No Life Like It EP from 1980. as above

3. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....Instrumental...recorded live at Larry's, Toronto 3/29/1986 as part of the Easter OG Weekend. OG Records set up a big show in Toronto highlighting some of their acts, among them Chris Houston, The Gruesomes, UIC, Deja Voodoo and Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners.

4. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....Your True Love....as above. Guitarist Eric Sandmark introduces Ray Condo as Canada's skinniest cowboy at the begining of this tune.

5. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....Rock Island Line....from the compilation LP, It Came From Canada Volume 1 1985 on OG Records. This is the first appearance on vinyl of Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners.

6. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....This Is The Night....recorded live at the Siboney, Toronto 12/9/1988. A raucous live set that could have been part of an OG BBQ, a yearly event....but i really can't remember this show at all, but that's definitely me yelling in the background!!

7. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....Crazy Mixed Up World....as above.

8. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners...Lonely Wolf.... as above. They always did a Killer version of this tune!

9.Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners...Ice Cold Water....from the Condo Country CD. It was right around this time Gayle Hurmuses called in to talk about her brand new book, Ray Condo's Rock'n'Roll Party and the big book release party happening in Toronto on 5/16. Coincidentally, 5/16 was Ray's birthday and named Ray Condo Day in Toronto!!

10. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners.....Great Shaking Fever....from the Condo Country CD as above.

11.Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners.... Blast Off... from the Hot'n'Cold LP on Crazy Rekkids, their second LP.

12. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners...The Worrying Kind....as above.

13. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners.....Willing and Ready....from their first LP, Crazy Date on Pipeline Records 1986

14. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....How Come It?....as above.

15. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....Sweet Love On My Mind....from A-Billy, the 7" EP that came with What Wave 18 from 1989. A-Billy also featured Deja Voodoo, The Gruesomes and The Sci-Phonics and was on our label, What Wave Records.

16. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners.....Crazy Date....recorded live at Key West, London Ontario 4/7/1988. Ray makes some comments about Eric's never ending guitar solo right at the end of the song.

17.Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners.... This Is The Night...recorded live at Call The Office, London Ontario 6/23/1988.

18. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....Sinner....recorded live at Key West, London Ontario 7/9/1987. I remember this as being an extremely hot night....temperature and band!!

19. Ray Condo....Big Dog Little Dog....from a 7" released right after Ray passed away.

20. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....The Fool....recorded live at Key West, 4/7/1988 and this was the closing song of that show.

21. Ray Condo and His Ricochets... Swing Brother Swing....from the CD of the same name from 1988.

22. Ray Condo and His Ricochets....Boo Hoo....as above.

23. Ray Condo and His Hardrock Goners....Could She Kiss....recorded live at Call The Office, London Ontario 6/23/1988 and this was cut off due to running out of time, but certainly not tunes.

Hope you enjoyed our tribute to Ray Condo, this is the second time we've done a tribute to him and both are well deserved. There's just soooooo many great recordings of Ray Condo that it's virtually impossible to play them all. Go out and buy the book, Ray Condo's Rock'n'Roll Party and help keep his memory alive!!

Back next week with a 10 year special....according to my calendar, the first time i did a show on CHRW was May 2004. This was prior to Radio What Wave (it took about 7 months to get an open time slot i could do) and back when i was doing lots of fill-in shows when regular hosts were away. We will probably be spinning some of the cassettes, CD's and vinyl we've released in the last 10 years. And probably talk about some of the many bands we've brought into this sleepy city, many for their first (and only) visit here....ie John Schooley, Paul Collins, The Barracudas and many more. Tune in for the scoop next week.

See ya next week!

• May 24, 2014 9:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist May 22/2014   10 Years of Being Onair at CHRW

Yep, according to my notes, i did my first solo show on CHRW in May 2004, a whole 10 years ago. According to the rough list i scrawled out for that particular show, looks like i played all local music of the late 70's/early 80's variety, setting a precedent for future shows. After that first show, i did lots and lots of fillins, even  doing the world music show for most of that summer! We didn't get an official time slot for Radio WW until early the next year. By we, it was Mike Todd and myself alternating weeks for the first year or so. Then Mike left when he had family issues to deal with. And me, i won't go away, just like that bad smell coming from down in the basement.

This show, we're going to stick with some of the releases we did on the What Wave label, obviously including What Wave 24 (came out Oct 2012 in conjunction with the Graphic Underground: London 1977-1990 visual graphic show at Forest City Gallery). And cover some of the live to airs we've done as well as the Radio WW Sessions. The RWW Sessions is an invite only deal, where a band will send in 4 or 5 songs recorded in a studio with some banter inbetween, to give the impression of a live to air. We've only completed 3 so far, and we're waiting on quite a few bands to get their stuff into us. We all know bands don't operate on the same time scale as everyone else, hence the delay.

1. Hook Up.....Weatherly Mansion....from the C60 Go Cassette we released in Nov 2011. The Hook Up have appeared on Radio WW several times, even doing a live to air once. They'll be back on June 5th as they have a date at Call The Office that night and are now known as Dead City Soul Review.

2. Lonesome Ghost....Haunted By God....from a cassette we released by them April 2011 for Record Store Day. 2 piece outta Aylmer Ontario that did one live to air on Radio WW and were the only band from Southwestern Ontario to be on the international Garagepunk Hideout Compilations. They broke up right after the release of the cassette. At this time we tried to play another cassette but it didn't work....i still screw up as much as 10 years ago!!!

3. 63 Monroe....At The Boot....from Slippery's Club Hits, the cassette that came with What Wave 24. This cassette is 90m of unreleased London Ontario music from about 1978 to 1992!!What Wave 24 which is just over 100 pages, is the history of the punk/new wave/indy bands from London and area from about 1977 to the early 90's. Loads of pictures and info you won't find anywhere else and it comes with this 90m cassette. You can pick it up at Speed City, Village Idiot, Grooves, LA Mood, Star Records and other places.

4. Hippies....Can Teens....as above. The Hippies re-united for a one off gig this past fall and were amazing, just like we all remembered them!

5. Sinners....Not Worth My Time....as above. Sent this one out to Doug Sinner, drummer in this combo who last re-united in 2005 at the Boot 2 The Head reunion show at Call The Office.

6. Fine Print...Haunt You No More....from a cassette we released by them in April 2011 for Record Store Day. They promptly broke up right after!! This was the cassette that we were trying to play earlier in the show.

7. Cheshyres...Shake Your Money Maker....from Thee Cave Comes Alive LP that came out on Action Records in 2004. Back in 2003, George Rigas from Greece, wanted to release some of the songs that had been on the compilation cassettes that came with What Wave zine from the mid 80's to 90's. During that time, we released 10 compilation cassettes that came free with What Wave zine. At the time, this was the only way to hear the bands that we were yammering about in What Wave. George wanted to release some of the songs that were closest to 60's garage on a vinyl, hence Action Records from Greece released Thee Cave Comes Alive LP in early 2004. Took us about a year to locate the bands, get permission to use their songs again and in some cases, get better recordings of the songs. And that whole excercise is what got me onto CHRW as i brought the LP in to the station to see if we could get some airtime, next thing you know, Grant Stein has a mic in my face and i'm yammering! News Director Karlo Koskiala made a comment to me about how enthusiastic i sounded on air about the music and that comment sorta changed my direction in life....RIP Karlo!!! And Thanx!!

8. Mystic Eyes....She Put Me Down.... as above.

9. The Gruesomes....I Try....from the Hey CD on Ricochet Sound. Did the liner notes for this CD re-issue and supplied tapes for some of the bonus tracks as we used to work with The Gruesomes. We booked or had a hand in booking all their London Ontario shows over the years and during the early years, they'd stay at our place, sometimes for days after the local gig. These guys would consume all our junk food, watch all the cool movies we had, play all the cool records we had and generally make themselves at home. Great guys and lots of fun times! All their releases are now available on CD via Ricochet Sound in Montreal....hint hint!

10.The Gruesomes....Dirty Robber....from the Live In Hell CD on Ricochet Sound. This one initially only came out as a cassette and the original masters were not to be found. And it turned out that i had to lend my copy of the Live In Hell cassette to be used to create the CD! That's what sometimes happens when you have the WW Archives stored in your basement!

11. Legend Killers....Gonna Snap....from the We're Workin' On It CD that has our name on it.  Legend Killers were formed in 1986 under the influence of too many beer and What Waves and proceeded to be on every compilation cassette that we've released so far! And on every compilation record except for one!! That's a lot of releases just there, but we also released a 7" EP in 1989 called Better Than Hammerin' by the LK's that won several What's The Poop Awards back then! And they toured Canada on the strength of that little EP, making friends across the country!

12. Legend Killers...Rippin' It Up...from the Boot 2 The Head CD 2005. From the reunion show of the same name that took place at Call The Office. Only song where WW gets name dropped more than once! Thanx Earle!

13. The Mogs....Swamp Love....from the El Mogamundo CD on the What Wave label from 2014. Rob Munro, leader of the Mogs was in many London combos back in the late 80's/early 90's, ie Frankenstein 5, Evil Hoodoos,

14. Dynamite Pussy Club....Into The Groove....the first of the RWW Sessions and these guys sorta got the ball rolling on this one. DPC are from Bath UK, big fans of Radio WW and we always play their releases. Since a live to air was out of the question, they sent this recording and we aired it Nov 2012 and have done a couple more RWW Sessions since. A great idea that should be taking off!!

15. The 905s....Under A Spell/ Stay Inside....another RWW Session and from 5/16/2013. Brampton's finest combo doesn't come to London often enough, so we did this instead! This is the combo that caught our ears many years ago with their tale of Teenage Head in Hamilton Head, one of the coolest songs ever! Any band that can write a tune about Teenage Head certainly has its merits as these guys prove!! Rumour has it, Hamilton Head may be re-recorded for release!!

16. The Mongrels....Piece Of Crap....another RWW Session and from 5/2/2013. One of our fave local combos actually records and sounds Really Good!! Catch these village idiots whenever they play out as they've been known to do full sets of 60's garagepunk just for kicks!

17. Bloody Diamonds....She Ain't Pretty.....live to air on RWW from 9/27/12. Halifax 4 piece at the time of this recording as they had the super fuzz bass and big organ sound down just right during this session! Coincidentally Bloody Diamonds were in town as a 2 piece playing at the APK and Grooves Records yesterday!

18. Tuerto Loco....Robert Q Public....from a live to air from 9/16/2010. Local combo of nut cases that rarely play out, and when they do, it's always a pile of fun!! Led by Hank the Singing Bookman who used to do an act called Hank'n'Frank of which Frank is heard next.

19.Frank Ridsdale...Shake Some Action....live to air 9/16/2010 where Frank learned this song just for me as he knew it was one of my faves!! And a big Thanx to Frank for coming on air and doing this!! Frank h as been in Uranus, Sci-Phonics, Slugfest and many many other combos over the years!

20. Oily Birds....Love Me Till The Sun Shines....live to air 4/29/10 as John and Bryan of The Oily Birds dropped by to sing a coupla tunes live over the airwaves.

Hope you enjoyed the retrospective show!! There's lots more where the above came from and we may play a couple more tunes on next week's show! Thanx for all the email, facebook, and other congrats on 10 years of yammering!!!

See ya next week!

• May 31, 2014 10:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist May 29 2014

1. Nash The Slash....Blind Windows....from the 1978 Bedside Companion 12" on Cut Throat Records. One man band from Toronto who was a big influence on me....made his own instruments, recorded himself, put out his own records, created his own character and so on. The total DIY package! Nash passed away about 2 weeks ago.

2.Vintage Experience....You Don't Look Good To Me....demo from Ryan In The Red's brand new combo. Ryan In The Red hosts a show over on the garagepunk hideout called Rock City Madness that you should check out!! And he had his own show, In The Red on CHRW for many years!

3. Legend Killers....Loaded Gun...from the We're Workin' On It CD and by request.

4. Noble Savages....The Music Will Kill You....from their self titled debut CD. Hamilton garagepunkers!

5. Audio Kings Of The Third World....Jupiter...from the new Space Punk EP and from Philly....and from the garagepunk hideout!

6. Powerfist....Hypnotism....from the Powerfist CD, a tribute to Head from Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants.

7. Head...Do You Remember Me?  from a 7" and this is the band that Powerfist worships.

8. The Mogs....Bored....from the El'Mogamundo CD on What Wave Records. Burlington/Hamilton combo.

9.The Hypnotics....Run Johnny Run....from the Soul At Seven CD. Windor garagepunkers of which David Konstantino hosts Revolution Rock on CJAM which is now heard on saturdays at 7PM (note day and time change)

10. Marshmallow Overcoat....Fly Away....from their brand new double LP Best Of compilation!

11. Galileo 7....Don't KNow What I'm Waiting For....from the brand new False Memory Lane CD. UK combo featuring a member of The Prisoners.

12.catl....Church On Time....recorded live at Call The Office 9/29/2011 as catl were in town last night for their record release party.

13. catl...Gotta Thing For You....from their Soon This Will All Be Gone CD.

14. catl....Lamplight The Way....from their brand new This Shakin' House release.

15. catl....FU Blues....as above.

16.Napoleon 14th....They're Coming To Take Me Away.....from the LP of the same name and by request. Believe it or not, this received lots and lots of airplay when it was released in the mid 60's!!

17. Fireball Grant....All Right Now....from a demo and Fireball opened up for catl last night at Call The Office.

18. Frankie and Jimmy....Let It Rock....from their about to be released LP, Scream The Blues. Hamilton 2 piece combo.

19. .Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey.....I Keep It To Myself...from thei recent Going Back Home CD. All the best to Wilko as he recovers from his recent cancer surgery!

20. SFH....Mayor On Crack...brand new 7" on Ugly Pop Records featuring former Liberal advisor Warren Kinsella on vocals. And Warren was in a punk band way back when, called Hot Nasties.

21. Drug Dealerz....Mayor Ford....demo from an unknown source.

22. Glebes...Theme....from the recent It Came From London 7" on It's Trash Records.

23. The Stooges...Cock In My Pocket....from the Rubber Legs LP on Revenge Records and another request.

24. Dead City Soul Review....Breaking The Shackles Of Love....from a recent demo and we may have DCSR in the studio on next week's show!

25. Runperry Run....Left In The Dark.....Vertabrats cover that unfortunatly would not play all the way through

26. Neko Case and Her Boyfriends.....Karoline...from The Virginian CD....Playboy had some sexist compliments for Neko this past week and Neko responded with a blast!! Do a google on that as it's quite hilarious and could not be said on the radio.

Thanx for all the emails, facebook messages and comments and Heys!!! And thanx for tuning in each week. Back again next week with an extra long 2.5 hour show as we go from 6 until 8:30 PM

See ya next week!

• June 13, 2014 7:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist June 12/2014. Shortened show and all London Ontario bands tonite!

1. Vintage Experience....You Really Got Me...recent demo from Ryan In The Red, host of Rock City Madness over on the Garagepunk Hideout. They are playing Sat June 21 at Norma Jeans.

2. Heart Attack Kids....Cold Hands...from the Hooligans download.

3. Don't Touch The Dancers....Acid Drops....they will be playing June 20th at APK as part of the CHRW CD release party.

4. The Icons...End Note....from a download.

5. Astoria....So Far Gone....from a download, part of their soon to be released CD and the radio debut of this song!!

6. Red Arms....Quiet Resolution....from a download.

7. Foam....Silver Spoons....from a download.

8. Fireball Grant....Jean Genie....from a live to air on Radio What Wave, Oct 31/2013. Not really from London Ontario, but from the thriving metropolis of Watford, between London and Sarnia Ontario.

9.Pink Cadillac Scat Cats....Jolena....from their Rip It Up CD from 2006. We had these guys as one of our very first live to airs!!

10. Larry Lee and The Leesures....Odd Man Out...from the Number 1 LP from the early 60's. One of the best songs to come out of sleepy London and few remember or have heard it. The Cramps shoulda covered this one, but The Black Holes did instead.

11. Matadors...Pink Lincoln...from the Devil's Music CD. They are at CTO tonite.This seems be the band people from outside London know of....and The Demics of course!

12. Black Frame Spectacle....Bust Out The Boogie...from their Grady Sessions II CD. They will be at Black Shire PubJune 20th

13. Alcohollys....Girls Night....from their CD, EP. They are at APK on saturday night.

14. Marcellus Wallace...Dollar Bill....from their debut CD, one of the only soul bands that play out regularly.

15. The Demics...Talk Talk....recorded live in Toronto early 80's.

16. The Demics....7 and 7 Is....as above. Showing The Demics roots in 60's garagepunk with these 2 covers.

17. Second Thoughts....Wound Up....from their only 7" from 1980

18. Crash 80's....Thrills....from t heir only 7" from 1980.

An all London Ontario show and this was only the tip of the iceberg. Join us next week as we do a special on late 70's/early 80's Canpunk (with the emphasis on the artier side) as we pay tribute to Steven Davey who passed away the other day. Steven was one of the prime movers behind the beginings of the punk scene in Toronto which in turn influenced the rest of Southwestern Ontario. If you tune in, you might just hear some of Steven's early bands, The Dishes and Everglades as well as some of the songs he wrote for bands like The Demics, The Diodes, Keith Whittaker of The Demics and many others.

And thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!! And thanx to all the crazies that tune in every week while they do the dishes!!

See ya next week!

• June 21, 2014 8:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist June 19/2014

This show we go back to the first wave of Toronto punk/new wave combos with an emphasis on the artier side as we pay tribute to Steven Davey. Former member of The Dishes and The Everglades, both early influential bands at the very begining of what was to become a scene. Long before the testosterone and suburbanites invaded, Steven was creating a scene and gently pushing bands to form and get out of the rehearsal studio and onto the stage. Thanx for the push and encouragement!!!

1. Nihilist Spasm Band....This Is A Test...London Ontario's longest lasting art/punk band(???) who were around long before anything resembling new wave was even considered.

2. Keith Whittaker....Drink To Me...from the CD of the same name. This was Keith Whittakers last recordings. Assembled, recorded and guitar playing by Steven Davey, who was a good pal of Keith's prior to his passing. This was put together for the 10th anniversary of Keith's passing.

3. Keith Whittaker...Hungover You.... as above.

4. Keith Whittaker...Beef Stampede....as above.

5. The Dishes....Walky Talky.....from their Fashion Plates EP from 1977.

6. The Everglades....I'm In A Coma....from The Last Pogo LP from 1978. There's a movie of the same name that documents the Toronto and area punk/new wave scene in the late 70's.  It was done by Colin Brunton who was there and comes highly recommended! Haven't seen it yet, but they did use a couple of my pics (with permission of course) in the movie.

7. The Dishes....Monopolies Are Made At Night....from the Fashion Plates EP. BTW, there is a Dishes compilation CD on Bullseye Records that's on my want list.

8. The Everglades....Rock'n'Roll Cliche...from The Last Pogo....this was the first Toronto compilation LP i bought way back when that really turned me on to some of the early Toronto bands!

9. The Diodes....DOA...from the Sony Greatest Hits CD that manager Ralph Alfonso compiled. Steven got The Diodes onto the stage and out of the rehearsal studio for their first show.

10. The Diodes...I'm In A Coma....from the Survivors LP from 1982. A Steven Davey tune that you heard earlier in the show.

11. The Diodes...Shape Of Things....from the Time Damage LP on Rave Up Records.This is the 1978 live to air as played on CHUM FM back in 1978. This was the first Toronto new wave band to actaully get airplay and accepted (well, somewhat) by the mainstream. A huge stepping stone for the Toronto scene!! Although rumour has it, this was only broadcast so that CHUM could do a similar event with Elvis Costello.

12. The Viletones....Possiblities....from their 1977 7" EP.

13. The Viletones....Rebel....as above and written by Steven Davey for the Viletones.

14. The Viletones....Never Feel Sad...from the OPM CD. This is 1977 recordings souped up by Peter Moore and Chris Spedding. Peter Moore was active on the London Ontario scene in the late 70's/early 80's recording bands and he also had a show here on CHRW. He went under the name Simon Less as he was kicked off the air occasionally for lack of professionalism (he said FUCK on the airwaves). One of the greatest shows ever on this station and he would sometimes play live recordings of local bands, some of which i taped and have used on shows several times.

15. Zoom....Massacre at Central High...from an early 7" and predates the shootings at high schools by a good 25 years.  The members of Zoom went on to bands like The Viletones, Diodes, Secrets and others.

16. The Secrets....Suzie Peroxide....from the Teenage Rampage CD. This is members of The Viletones (without singer Steven Leckie) playing 60's style powerpop and doing an excellent job!! These guys were way ahead of the curve and didn't get the expected response.

17. The Curse....Shoeshine Boy....from their only 7" and the first all female Toronto punk/new wave combo. They took a lot of flack for this one, as it chronicles an incident that actually happened in Toronto. The Curse were the 3rd punk band to play sleepy London Ontario, the first being The Diodes and the next Eddie and the Hot Rods (although they are considered pubrock, but at the time we considered them punk).

18. B Girls...Boys Are Drinking....from the OPM CD, Who Says Girls Can't Rock. Produced by Mick Jones of The Clash, The B Girls were a band that coulda and shoulda but somehow didn't make it big. They had a record on Bomp Records, opened for The Clash on the east coast, one of them was the girlfriend of Stiv Bators (Dead Boys) and even had a London Ontario connection in Marcy Saddy on the drums.

19. The Cads....Do The Crabwalk...from the 7" EP of the same name from 1978.

20. The Scenics...O Boy....from the unreleased Last Pogo recordings from 1978. Artpunk at it's finest and way different than anything else happening in Toronto, yet welcomed into the punk/new wave scene. We had singer/guitarist/bassist Andy onair many years ago when they did their first reunion tour.

21. The Government...Hemingway Hated Disco....form their first 7" from 1979. Another band that didn't fit as they were heavily into video long before VCR's were available for the average home. A personal fave, didn't get to see these guys until late 1981 and by that time, they were a shadow of their glory days.

22. The Ugly....Streanded In The Laneway....from their lone 7". Way different from the chaos of their live shows, this is really good powerpop and not at all what you would expect The Ugly to record. If you want chaos, check out their OPM CD that has all that and more little girl.....right here on the floor.....

23. Cardboard Brains....Caesar Drives A Fast Car....from their 12" EP.

24. The Hi-Fi's....Look What You've Done....from their only 7", but there's rumours they recorded more back then, so if anyone can get me copies of those recordings, i have lots to trade. The Hi-Fi's went on to become the darlings of Canada's alt-country/pop as Blue Rodeo. Back in The Hi Fi days, they were an incredible band live and i caught them a few times at the Cedar and Larry's in Toronto.

Well that was a fun show, and once again, just the tip of the iceberg as there is so much good music from that era. Hope you enjoyed the show and thanx for listening and putting up with my screwups and mumbles.

And thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!! And thanx to all the crazies that tune in every week while they do the dishes!!

See ya next week!

• June 29, 2014 6:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist Juen 26/2014

1. Flight Reaction....Take Your Time...from their self titled debut LP on 13 O'Clock Records outta Austin. The band is from Sweden and features long time garage guru Mans P Mansson. We played some of his previous combos a coupla weeks back on our Swedish garage event.

And right about here, we had Sean and Ryan, 2 of the organizers of the Anarchist Book Festival as guests. They were here to chat about their big event that was happening on the weekend.

2. Crass...Big A Little a....from a Crass single and a good way to continue with the anarchy.

3. Noble Savages....The Music Will Kill You....from their self titled CD.

4. The Mogs....Hate...from the El Mogamundo CD on What Wave Records.

5. Dustbin Flowers....Plastercene Nicotine...from their brand new CD and the first play here on CHRW. DF had their CD release party for this CD on the weekend.

6. Dustbin Flowers...What I'm Missing Now....as above.

7. Panic...Can't Cope...from their self titled debut LP. Mondo depresso combo from Toronto with Johnny Larue on the tubs.

8. Edmonton....Ghost In The Machine....from their soon to be released LP Walk It Off. Edmonton are not from Edmonton, actually Florida and they are about to release this record on Chisel Records, which just happens to be a mail order record store based here in sleepy London Ontario.

9. Steve Adamyck...High Above...from a recent single on La Ti Da Records.

10. Don't Touch The Dancers....Make Me Sick...from the brand new LDN CD put out by CHRW.

11. Don't Touch The Dancers....My Conscious...from the It's From London compilation 7" EP on It's Trash Records.

12. Dishrags...Death In The Family....from the Love/Hate CD on OPM Records. All girl punk combo from Vancouver from the late 70's and a request by Peter Strack.

13. Zellots...Blades...from their 1981 demos. From London Ontario but they spent some time in Vancouver when The Dishrags were active.

14. Girlschool....Take It Away...from the 1980 compilation LP, Labels Unlimited/The Second Record Collection. Really nice powerpop that predates their metal era.

15. Poison Girls....Persons Unknown....from the Total Exposure live LP from 1981. Possibly the only band that features a mother on lead vocals and her son on guitar.

16. RAMS....Beaten Up Dogs Don't Dance....from Switzerland and will be on their soon to be released LP. These guys are on the garagepunk hideout.

17. Pull My Daisy....Cadillac....also from Switzerland and this was on the cassette that came with What Wave zine #15. Features Rudi from Calypso Now cassette distribution.

18. Pull My Daisy.....AC DC....from a late 80's cassette release.

19. Teenage Head....Picture My Face...from their very first 7" and goes out to the Piper Clan who are regular listeners.

20. Marshmallow Overcoat....Groovy Little Trip....from The Very Best Of double LP that just came out recently.

21. Heather Haley....3 Blocks West Of Wonderland...demo from the former singer for The Zellots when they were based in Vancouver.

And thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!! And thanx to all the crazies that tune in every week while they do the dishes and other mundane tasks!!

See ya next week when we do an all Canadian show to celebrate Canada Day on July 1.

• July 5, 2014 4:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist July 3/2014. All Canadian Show to celebrate Canada Day

1. The Smugglers....Canadian Amabassadors..from the In The Hall Of Fame CD on Popllama Records. 1993 CD from these Vancouver garage/pop/rock'n'rollers that for some reason, never drew a lot of people here in sleepy London Ontario. Lead singer Grant Lawrence, now a DJ on CBC Radio was in town to promote his latest book this past winter and the trend continued. Neither Grant nor i understand sleepy London Ontario Canada.

2. The Living Deadbeats... Hey Girl...from the CD of the same name. Vancouver combo that features former Londoner Peter Gripp on the bass.

3. DOA...Big Guys Like DOA....live recording from 11/18/1995 from Halifax. Recorded this from CBC Radio just about 19 years ago. DOA are one of the world's longest running punk rock combos.

4. No Means No....Oh Canaduh!...from a 7" on Allied Records and a Subhumans cover.

5. The Evaporators....It's My Pride....from their 1998 LP, United Empire Loyalists. Nardwuar the Human Serviette is a noted supporter of all things Canadian and a good guy!

6. The Chickens.....White Squirrel Town...from their Prepare To Plug In CD. White Squirrel Town is in reference to Exeter Ontario, where some of these lads grew up and formed this amazing combo called UIC!! And we're still waiting for that final UIC LP to come out....

7. Flying Squad....Brian Mulroney....local biker rock combo and their little tune about one of our former Prime Ministers. We're still waiting for an ode to our present, Stephen Harper.....which reminds me of something i read in Gods Of The Hammer, The Teenage Head story the other day. Steve Mahon (Teenage Head) was introducing himself to Steven Leckie (Viletones singer) and Steve said 'I spell my name S T E P H E N' to which Leckie replied, 'I spell it F U C K O F F'....my brain works in weird ways.

8. Jim Ashby....Speed City....7" on Speed City Records and a tale of our sleepy little town.

9. Crowbar....Oh What A Feeling....from the Bad Manors LP from the early 70's. First of several tunes from Hamilton based combos.

10. Junkhouse....Joy Ride...from the Fuzz CD from 1997 and features Tom Wilson on guitar and vocals and Ray Farrugia on drums, both of whom played with Canadian icon Gordon Lightfoot the other day.

11. Blackie and The Rodeo Kings....Lean On Your Peers...from the Kings Of Love CD and this song refers to Frankie Venom and his early days in Teenage Head.

12. Chris Houston....Einsteins Brain's In Hamilton....from a recent 7" and may explain a little bit about Hamilton Ontario and it's amazing music scene.

13. Forgotten Rebels...I Think Of Her...from their self titled CD on OPM records and recorded at the Cedar Lounge in 1980.

14. Simply Saucer....Low Profile....from their brand new 12" recorded in Detroit with Jim Diamond.

15. Stompin' Tom Connors...Bud The Spud....from the LP of the same name. A Canadian show would not be complete without The Stomper!!

16. Murray McLauchan....Linda...from the Only The Silence Remains, a double live LP from 1975. This guy was the darling of the Canadian AM radio set due to his Farmer's Song which was played continually and actually brought some notice to our farmers. But Linda, was on an entirely different subject. The Linda this song refers to is Linda Lovelace, the 'star' of the porno movie Deep Throat, one of the first porno movies to attract mainstream attention. Young Murray and his lightbulb were banned from many radio stations once they found out what this song was about.

17. Art Bergmann....Buried Alive...from the What Fresh Hell Is This? CD from 1995. Art is sometimes referred to as Canada's Lou Reed, possibly due to his lyrical matter, but more likely due to his drug preferences.

18. Art Bergmann....My Empty House...recorded live at the Town Pump in Vancouver, 2/18/1995. This is Art's hometown and as you can hear, he's got the crowd on his side for this one.

19. Jerry Jerry and the Sons Of Rhythm Orchestra....Living On Top....from the Road Gore LP from 1985 on OG Records. Edmonton combo who moved to Montreal, then later back to Edmonton as the booze is better there.

20. Jerry Jerry and the Sons Of Rhythm Orchestra....The Drift....from the Battle Hymn Of The Apartment LP. This used to be the show closer for JJ and the boys and rightfully so! Just listen to those lyrics, just hang on to that beat....and with JJ's antics on stage this was a Killer!!! When they opened for The Long Ryders many years ago in Hamilton Ontario, they closed with this one and the Long Ryders were so blown away, they broke up a few days later. JJ could have this effect on people.

21. Deja Voodoo...Things...recorded live at Key West Cafe, London Ontario 10/22/1987. Sludgeabilly at it's finest!

22. Dik Van Dykes...Curling...from It Came From Canada Volume 3 on OG Records. Yet another Hamilton combo and that's a wrap!!

Thanx for all the phone-ins (there were lots during this show!), emails, facebook messages and Heys!! Hope you enjoyed this all Canuck show and maybe it opened you up to some Canadian combo you weren't familiar with.

Back again next week.....with The Mogs, Frankenstein 5, The Mood and many more as we pay tribute to our good pal, constant listener, frequent phone in guy and dreamer Rob Munro.......

• July 11, 2014 8:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist July 10/2014: Rob Munro Memorial

Rob Munro was a former London Ontario musician and was currently a musician in Hamilton Ontario. Some of his former London Ontario bands included; Frankenstein 5, The Groove Things, The Mood, Scratching Post and The Mogs. His Hamilton bands included: The Noble Savages and The Mogs. He was a constant listener of Radio WW, sometimes phone caller and was even on live many years ago. Rob passed away earlier this week.

Rob Munro played on all of the songs on this show.

1. Frankenstein 5....It's A Cryin' Shame....CHRW London Underground II CD, a compilation of London Ontario bands, from the mid 90's.

2. Frankenstein 5....We're Pretty Quick....a live to air broadcast on 94.7 CHRW from the early 90's. This was recorded from the radio onto cassette, hence some of the static that's on a coupla tunes. This is the only copy of this live to air we could find. The band played for about an hour straight with almost no breaks at all between songs!! Youth, beer and energy at it's finest!

3. Frankenstein 5...Kill And Go Hide... as above.

4. Frankenstein 5....99th Floor...as above.

5. Frankenstein 5....Girl You Captivate Me... as above.

6. Frankenstein 5...Going All The Way... as above.

7. Frankenstein 5....That's The Bag I'm In... as above.

8. Frankenstein 5...Kill And Go Hide... from Baloney Sandwich, the cassette that came with What Wave 19 in 1990. The F5 were big faves around WW HQ's.

9. Frankenstein 5....Go Away....from London Crawling, the cassette that caame with What Wave 22 from 1996.

10. Frankenstein 5....Nothin'... Recorded live at The Brunswick Hotel, London Ontario 8/11/1989

11. Frankenstein 5....99th Floor... as above. As always, lots of chatter and drinking between tunes when the band played out live. Had to play this as the previous cassette got stuck in the machine and there was cassette tape spewing out on the floor. Rob would have loved this as accidents and mishaps seemed to be his constant companions.

12. The Groove Things....Not The Hurting Kind...recorded live at Notes, London, Ontario 6/5/1991. This was Rob's band as he sang and wrote many of the songs. Nicole Hughes played guitar and the 2 of them went onto Scratching Post, with Rob leaving shortly after the band started playing live.

13. The Groove Things... The Witch... as above.

14. The Groove Things....It's Over....from the Eighh Wonder, the cassette that came with What Wave 20 from 1991. This is from a soundboard live recording.

15. The Mood....Warsaw....from Cat'O'Nine Tails, the cassette that came with What Wave 21 from 1992.

16. The Mogs.... Bored....recorded in the mid 90's after Frankenstein 5 split up for good. This was Rob's solo project and he was assisted here by former F5 members Jason Kipfer and Mark Ordas as well as Christopher Steven Brown.

17. The Mogs...Fear The Fear.... as above.

18. The Mogs...Gravy Train... as above.

19. The Mogs....Hate.. as above.

20. The Mogs...Love... as above.

21. The Mogs...See The Mornin'... as above.

22. The Mogs...Smile... as above.

23. The Mogs...Vancouver... as above.

24. The Mogs....Hate....from the El'Mogamundo! CD that came out earlier this year on What Wave Records. This was to be Rob's final recordings and also featured Alyssa Broere on bass, guitar and vocals and Derek Smith on drums and guitars. This lineup of the band was based in Hamilton/Burlington and played out several times. Derek left this spring and Rob and Alyssa carried on playing live as a 2 piece while the search was on for a replacement drummer.

25. The Mogs...Run Like Hell.. as above.

26. The Mogs...Swamp Love... as above.

Hope you enjoyed Rob's music and maybe it opened a few ears to some cool tunes! Rob would have loved being featured on Radio What Wave and it would have put a permanent grin on his face!!

Thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages and Heys!! This was obviously a difficult show to do but i was quite amazed at the amount of music that Rob put out!! RIP buddy!!!

• July 19, 2014 9:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist July 17/2014

1. Simply Saucer....Baby Nova....from their 12" record of the same name that just came out.

2. Teenage Head....My Mommy's Pot....from the Head Disorder CD from 1995. Teenage Head is playing at Call The Office here in sleepy London Ontario Canada on saturday night.

3. Teenage Head....You're The One I'm Crazy For....from the Teenage Head with Marky Ramone CD. Frankie Venom's last recordings with the band and recorded by longtime Ramones pal Daniel Rey.

4. Teenage Head...Little Boxes....as above.

5. Ramones....Basement.....from 1975 demos produced by Tommy Ramone RIP....this part of our show is dedicated to Tommy, the brains behind the machine, who passed away this week.

6. Ramones...53rd & 3rd... as above.

7. Ramones....I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend...from a Norton 7", 1975 demos produced by Marty Thau. If Marty had produced the first LP, things mighta been a little different and the world just might have accepted the Ramones instead of making fun of them. The band was considered a joke by the mainstream for many years....when in reality the joke is on the mainstream.

8. Ramones...Judy Is A Punk....flip side of the above.

9. Ramones...Havana Affair...from the first LP, 1976. I remember seeing ads for this LP in Rolling Stone magazine and it was completely different from anything else we'd ever seen up until then! Stripped down monochrome photo that looked like it came from another world. Mystery and intrigue as we had no idea what this band sounded like...radio play? in yer dreams! The only way to hear this one was to go out and buy it at Records on Wheels here in London Ontario as that was the place to buy records that were non top 40. My buddy Derek went out and bought it as we were bugging him about looking like Joey Ramone at the time....tall, skinny, glasses, introverted and a head full of black hair. Turned out we all thought the Ramones were great but had to wait until 1980 to see them live!

10. Ramones...Now I Wanna Be A Good Boy....from their 2nd LP, Leave Home.

11. Ramones...We're A Happy Family...from their 3rd LP, Rocket To Russia. This is my fave Ramones tune. A socio political statement on the family unit as a functional entity in a disfunctional world. Yep, it sums up the family unit alright!

12. Lionel Lodge...Smile...from his brand new CD, The Agitator. Local artist whom you may remember from such 80's London Ontario combos as The Catch and Nosmo King Jr.

13. Legend Killers...Loaded Gun...from the We're Workin' On It CD. This goes out to drummer Jeff Depew, for whom there was a benefit at Call The Office last weekend. Jeff is having some health issues and can't work and needs all the help he can get to help cover his medical expenses. Check the Call The Office page for details on how to assist.

14. Vintage Experience...You Don't Look Good To Me....demo from Ryan In The Reds latest combo. Ryan hosts Rock City Madness on the garagepunk hideout site on the web.

15. Dustbin Flowers....What I'm Missing Now...from their brand new CD, II. Local combo who are currently on tour on the west coast of Canada.

16. Dustaphonics....The Message...from their brand new CD on Dirty Water Records Big Smoke, London Town.

17. MFC Chicken...Chicken 'Bout You....from their brand new CD on Dirty Water Records, Solid Gravy.

18. MFC Chicken...DJ Booth....as above. I can certainly appreciate this song's lyrics!

19. Freddie Blassie...Pencil Neck Geek....from the Rhino LP of the same name and a request.

20. catl....Hold My Body Down....from their latest LP, This Shakin' House.

21. Barrence Whitfield and the Savages...Ramblin' Rose...recorded live 12/3/2011 on Terre T's Cherry Blossom Radio Show on WFMU.

22. Noble Savages....Music Will Kill You....from their latest CD. Dedicated to Rob Munro.

23. The Mogs....Bored....from the El'Mogamundo CD.

24. The Mogs....Thunder and Lightning.... as above.

25. Frankenstein 5....Cryin' Shame....from a live to air on CHRW from the early 90's. Rob Munro and James Bond in their prime!

26. Frankenstein 5...Hey Joe.... as above.

Thanx for all the phone calls, emails, facebook messages and Heys!! That's the fuel that keeps us going!! Next week we'll be doing a Johnny Winter tribute as he passed away the day this show aired. Remember, Birds Don't Row Boats!

We've got another project coming on, Rock'n'Roll Rent Party. It's going to be a live show, first sunday of the month from 3 till 7 PM at the APK right here in sleepy London Ontario. Local rockers, The Mongrels will be the resident band and there'll be another band joining them for each show. There's no cover, we'll be passing around the hat and possibly selling raffle tickets on a pie or cake. And i'll be the MC to announce the bands and other stuff. Hope to see you at the opening for this on the first sunday of August....more details coming.

• July 19, 2014 7:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HAPPY , BELATED , CANADA DAY...

I could send you my reworking of "Back In The USA" AS "BLOODSHOT BILL (BACK IN THE USA)", which I did in protest to his being banned from the US for 5 years . It's irrelevant , now , of course , THANKFULLY.

"Vancouver , Toronto , Saskatoon , Montreal . He plays his real Rockabilly , and everybody has a ball.   But , for the next five years , we won't be seeing him at all.

Now , Canada's our friend , and , buddy , that's a fact. But , they're still in the habit of importing their very worst acts. When Bloodshot Bill's got so much talent , you can buy it by the sack.

Now , he's rockin' and a - ravin' in the land of the deer and the beers - But they won't let my buddy crash on my couch for five years.   You know , there ain't no draft , but , Uncle Sam stripped his gears.

Bloodshot Bill - we want him in the USA . BLOODSHOT BILL , MAKE IT SOONER THAN TODAY.

You know , he rocks like Charlie Feathers , he's as suave as Johnny Hallyday , eh , eh , ehhhhhhh......

• July 24, 2014 10:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

John Battles says

Bloodshot Bill - we want him in the USA . BLOODSHOT BILL , MAKE IT SOONER THAN TODAY.

John: you get him way more than we do in sleepy London Ontario...Bloodshot Bill has done several east coast tours and spots for Norton Records lately. Seems like he's constantly touring, maybe he's just avoiding Chicago and sleepy London Ontario for some bizarre reason....

• July 25, 2014 1:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dave , Well , of course , when I wrote it (The lyrics , anyway.) Derek was barred from playing in the states .  The ban was lifted about four years ago , and he's played Chicago twice since then. There was a big welcome back show with Bloodshot Bill , NoBunny, Tandoori Knights , and White Mystery. I had already made plans to go to Mexico at that time. Derek did invite me to play on the show , for THAT , I would have cancelled my vacation , but , he thought all I would have to do was tell the owner I'd like to play , too , and he'd put me on the bill .  IF ONLY.    Then , he came back , and opened for Jon Spencer. I should have gone to that gig , but I DID'NT WANT TO PAY SPENCER'S PRICE TO SEE BLOODSHOT BILL DO AN ABBREVIATED SET. (excuse the caps. It's late...).

Now that Bloodshot Bill is PERE Bloodshot Bill , with a beautiful little girl , it seems like he still gigs as much , but has to reroute his trips. I guess. I did talk to him , briefly , about possibly returning to Chicago , and he said he does want to come back , soon.

So , if that happens , Chicago will witness the return of Bloodshot Battles Overdrive.

• July 25, 2014 11:40 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Speaking of John Spencer Blues Explosion.....they played here and we left after about 5 or 10 songs.....all sounded the same, with the stupid yelling of Blues Explosion between songs.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. But people loved it!  Did see Spencers other combo Heavy Trash and really dug that band as they all worked hard!

Just brought up JSBX since you mentioned Bloodshot was opening for them.....and i wouldn't have paid to see Spencer either! And the people that like Spencer probably wouldn't get Bloodshot Bill!

• July 25, 2014 3:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YOU ARE so right on all counts. Personally , I never got it with Spencer. Liked him in The Gibson Bros. , but , he was part of a band , not the focal point.... I can't fault him for striking while the iron was hot. I thought his first , pre - godlike status , LP sounded like Gibson's retreads.....Then , he basically took Jeff Evans' thing and made it profitable....  

A friend thanked me, about 20 years after the fact , for dragging him out with me to see Pussy Galore , and how it was one of the best shows he'd ever seen. That's funny , because I never SAW that band....

• July 26, 2014 9:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Radio What Wave Playlist July 24/2014

1. Dirtbombs....Natural Man....from the If You Don't Already Have A Look double CD on In The Red from 2006.

2. The Mongrels....All Systems Go....from a Radio What Wave Session 5/2/2013. The Mongrels are playing tonight at the St Regis Hotel, then Sunday August 3rd at the first Rock'n'Roll Rent Party happening at APK from 3 to 7 PM. This is a Radio WW supported event and yours truly will be the MC for the festivities. No cover, it's a pass the hat around to support the band type of event.

3. Hurricane and Able...Call On You...from their The Last Temptation dowload from last year. This band features Shawn Larouge, who is also in Space Slave who are also playing the first Rock'n'Roll Rent Party.

4. Hurricane and Able...Little Girl... as above.

5. Roger Zuraw....We're Rockin'....from the Feels Like Blues To Me CD from 2007. Roger was doing a show in Toronto the night this was originally broadcast.

6. Frankie and Jimmy....Who Do You Love....from the Scream The Blues LP which is about to be released.

7. catl....Lamplight The Way....from their This Shakin' House LP.

8. Lionel Lodge...The Resurection of MV....from his brand new The Agitator CD. Proof there is life in sleepy London Ontario.

9. Dustbin Flowers...Plasticine Nicotine...from their II CD and more proof of life here.

10. Dave Campbell....Time Is Now....from his Finding The Real CD. Yet more proof.

11. The Knaves....London City (or something like that). From a demo a few years ago and the same feelings that i have for this sleepy burg.

12. Muddy Waters....I Want To Be Loved...from the Hard Again LP from 1976. This is the beginning of our Johnny Winter tribute as he just passed away. Johnny produced, got the talent together, played lead guitar and shouted on this one. And it managed to jump start Muddy's career until his passing.

13. Johnny Winter...Let It Bleed...from the Still Alive and Well LP from 1973.

14. Johnny Winter....Master Mechanic....Serious Business LP from 1985.

15. Blind Willie McTell....Dyin' Crapshooters Blues....from a compliation CD called High Rollers and the 1956 version of this song. Willie claims he wrote this one, history tells us Porter Grainger wrote the tune many years prior and it even appeared on piano roll music for player pianos.

16. Galileo 7...Tide's Rising....from the False Memory Lane CD.

17. Flight Reaction...Running Out Of Mind....from their recent self titled CD/LP release. Swedish combo featuring Mans P Mannson of Crimson Shadows/Maggots fame.

18. Marshmallow Overcoat....Suddenly It's Sunday....from their double LP, The Very Best Of. Singer Tim Gassen is presently finishing up his book, The Knights of Trash which covers the 80's and newer garage band music that we all love. This one is going to be well over 400 pages and counting!

19. The Glebes....Theme...It's From London 7" EP.

20. Johnny Terrien and the Bad Lieutenants...Tire Shredding....from the Powerfist CD.

21. The Pelicans...New Wave....late 70's/early 80's 7" from Brantford Ontario.

22. Hot House...City Boy....from the Burn It Down LP from 1978. London Ontario combo.

23. King Salami & The Cumberland 3...Mickey Mouse Party...from a FOLC Records download and quite appropriate for this show.

24. Downbeat 5....Radiates The Charm...from a double LP on SFTRI Just The Girls Volume 2. Downbeat 5 features x DMZ guitar slinger JJ Rassler and his wife Jenn on vocals on this Boston based combo. Yep, it's the old Arthur Alexander tune done Teenage Head style. Picked this one up at Speed City Records in the $5 bin.

25. Helen Love....Debbie Loves Joey....as above.

That's a wrap, thanx for all the phone-ins, emails, facebook messages and Heys!!!

Next week we've got a Mongrel or 2 onair to talk about the upcoming Rock'n'Roll Rent Party happening on Sunday August 3rd from 3 to 7PM at APK.

Archived show and playlist are here:

• July 26, 2014 4:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Johnny Winter was real popular in Canada , was'nt he? I'd sometimes see posters and T-shirts from Rock festivals , and , of course , they'd say , "Rush , Max Webster , Ted Nugent , Aerosmith , Heart , Goddo.....Johnny Winter . ".   In The States , Johnny had been eased out of the big festival circuit by the mid to late 70's , for the most part. "I Want To Be Loved" is a favorite of mine , even though I prefer the original , it's not the one I grew up on (Chess Records catalogue being out of print , then.), and I LIKE THE VERY EARLY Stones' version , too.  a WHILE BACK , I sat in and "Played" it with my friend , Rockin' Johnny , one of few latter day ChicagoBlues artists I can recommend. His Guitar player , Rick , played in Muddy's last band , and his former Drummer , Kenny, is Willie "Big Eyes" Smith's (Muddy's former Drummer.) Son.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel