Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Preachin' the Big Beat to the Lost?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 26, 2010 5:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey, real quick...

How many of y'all still actively try to hip yer friends to Savage Rock 'n' Roll? You know, you hop in the car with yer buddies and immediate shove a mix tape, or preferably, a copy of any of the GaragePunk Podcasts into the tape machine and say "Y'all gotta listen to this!" Do ya feel the need to spread the wealth, so to speak, with those in yer personal sphere of influence, or have you grown tired of the "what the heck is this stuff" comments?

Are you preaching the Big Beat to the lost, or keeping it all to yourself?

Got any interesting stories about yer mission work?

Discus n' such.
    • June 26, 2010 6:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I actually did the soap box music lecture last night. Younger friends that had never even listened to the Stooges. After I heard that I went to the store and bought two Four Lokos. It turned into a very long night.
    • June 26, 2010 9:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I'm very happy to report that I had friends over for drinks last night and put on Hunx and his Punx, and they liked it!
    • June 14, 2010 4:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Lol, i teach English and Art in Valencia Spain, i play mix tapes all the time! The Spanish have a great garage background and love for the genre.. Before i arrived they had trip hop hip hop black hop er gangsta hop er drug hop white hop ahh hophop etc u know what i mean... Then they got some Gill Scott Heron, Poets and Prophets.. QUOTE ''Its not that new u know fellas'' etc.. Then the realized that this old stuff was pretty dangerous, in context of course.. So a wee jump to Garage, Psyche and some Mod, Freakbeat and selected Prog, Especially the new stuff, and post 90-s, Devil Dogs Gories Oblivians Teengenerate etc.. Also some stuff like early Nine Pound Hammer.. I don't waste my time on the non believers, if they haven't the intelligence to understand a muthafucka, then its their loss, they have Rhianna etc.. And to add, i saw them walking all in a line, not chatting, but texting each other... So what could 'the chob' do for these young fools? Let them do their own thing.. Its all relative lol.. I have my hifi installed in my Art class, so we can play at levels bad enough to make them sit up and hear the pounding bass and kickdrum,,,,, thats the secret!
    • June 14, 2010 3:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kopper said : "I pretty much stopped booking shows after I booked and organized a festival here in St. Louis called the Show-Me Blowout"

Tooooo bad Kopper, I would have loved to see some kind of "GARAGEPUNK.COM" festival someday somewhere !

But, once again, I'm just a stupid drunken dreamer...
    • June 8, 2010 3:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Eeegads!! Now there's a post about Lynyrd Skynyrd! Push the Red Panic Button NOW, Kopper!!!!! kopper said:
      Hell, look at the discussion threads on this forum lately... Oasis? The Lemonheads? Courtney Love? C'mon, can't we do better than that? This is GaragePunk.com... not AltRock.com.

Ryan Katastrophe said:
      I don't intentionally try to hip the unconverted anymore, although I'm sure I do subconsciously. I schill my podcast on Facebook and Twitter where probably less than a third of the people I'm friends with give a shit. I DJ at a bar every now and again where, I'd imagine, very few of the patrons listen to this music regularly. The folks who work at the bar seem to enjoy it though and I do get a few compliments each time I spin. I think you just have to have it in you to dig this kind of stuff. Let's face it, the world ain't round, it's square.
    • June 8, 2010 10:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

We're talking about sermonizing. I didn't care how the flock got to me or how they wanted to be fleeced. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Ha ha...that was pretty good ...CSI.

S.Law said:
      "uh this one got that CSI song onnit?"

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Y'sure about that? What if the person is an idiot and buying it for Pinball Wizard

haha...bet fred durst bought meaty beaty too!

so....who's up for talking about this week's American Idol?
    • June 8, 2010 2:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks. Cool backstory. I love reading these histories of groups ffrom that early era especially when it goes into how they formed.
    • June 8, 2010 1:12 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Have a read of this Rod http://tinyurl.com/2fnblws Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I'm not familiar with that song or that group, but some google searching shows the song from 1979 and it sounded good. But not too much info on the Lemonheads version but I'll take your word on it.

High Lord Mardy Pune said:
      Sorry, I'm going to correct you: The only good thing the Lemonheads ever did was cover Proud Scum's song Rabbit.

I use to like that "Hate your Friends" LP from 1988 but that was about the only good thing the Lemonheads ever did.
      ixnayray said:
      I was willing to let the OASIS thing slide [as I hate to be rude]... but The Lemonheads? Courtney Love? That's some bullsheeeiit!!!

Limp Bizkit are gods though... Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'... scoo-baddy doo bop, YEEAH!

Whatever happened to Fred Durst? I miss that kooky little ape!

kopper said:
      Hell, look at the discussion threads on this forum lately... Oasis? The Lemonheads? Courtney Love? C'mon, can't we do better than that? This is GaragePunk.com... not AltRock.com.

Ryan Katastrophe said:
      I don't intentionally try to hip the unconverted anymore, although I'm sure I do subconsciously. I schill my podcast on Facebook and Twitter where probably less than a third of the people I'm friends with give a shit. I DJ at a bar every now and again where, I'd imagine, very few of the patrons listen to this music regularly. The folks who work at the bar seem to enjoy it though and I do get a few compliments each time I spin. I think you just have to have it in you to dig this kind of stuff. Let's face it, the world ain't round, it's square.
    • June 8, 2010 1:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not familiar with that song or that group, but some google searching shows the song from 1979 and it sounded good. But not too much info on the Lemonheads version but I'll take your word on it. High Lord Mardy Pune said:
      Sorry, I'm going to correct you: The only good thing the Lemonheads ever did was cover Proud Scum's song Rabbit.

I use to like that "Hate your Friends" LP from 1988 but that was about the only good thing the Lemonheads ever did.
      ixnayray said:
      I was willing to let the OASIS thing slide [as I hate to be rude]... but The Lemonheads? Courtney Love? That's some bullsheeeiit!!!

Limp Bizkit are gods though... Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'... scoo-baddy doo bop, YEEAH!

kopper said:

Ryan Katastrophe said:
    • June 8, 2010 12:49 AM CDT
    • Untitled

Sorry, I'm going to correct you: The only good thing the Lemonheads ever did was cover Proud Scum's song Rabbit. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      ixnayray said:

kopper said:

Ryan Katastrophe said:
    • June 7, 2010 11:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ha ha...that was pretty good ...CSI. S.Law said:
      "uh this one got that CSI song onnit?"

Y'sure about that? What if the person is an idiot and buying it for Pinball Wizard

haha...bet fred durst bought meaty beaty too!

so....who's up for talking about this week's American Idol?
    • June 7, 2010 8:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"uh this one got that CSI song onnit?" Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      haha...bet fred durst bought meaty beaty too! so....who's up for talking about this week's American Idol?
    • June 7, 2010 6:57 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I use to like that "Hate your Friends" LP from 1988 but that was about the only good thing the Lemonheads ever did. ixnayray said:

kopper said:

Ryan Katastrophe said:
    • June 7, 2010 6:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Y'sure about that? What if the person is an idiot and buying it for Pinball Wizard (before deciding if they want to buy Tommy) and the Seeker (because they don't know where else to get that song. Ken (Evil Empire Records) said:
      Its a fine line between suggesting and preaching. Nobody likes to be preached to unless they are already in the fold to some degree.

Back when I owned an actual brick and mortar type record store I did more than my fair share spreading the word. It was the right venue for it... Its not hard to get a guy buying a copy of Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy to go for a Fleshtones or Chesterfield Kings record. Pretty much that guidance is what they're there for.

Opportunities like that are fewer and farther between nowadays. I mostly wait until someone asks my opinion.
    • June 7, 2010 6:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was willing to let the OASIS thing slide [as I hate to be rude]... but The Lemonheads? Courtney Love? That's some bullsheeeiit!!! Limp Bizkit are gods though... Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'... scoo-baddy doo bop, YEEAH! Whatever happened to Fred Durst? I miss that kooky little ape! kopper said:

Ryan Katastrophe said:
    • June 7, 2010 5:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I hate the preachy type as well. my gripe are the slackjawed himbo fux who ask me what I like, and when I (used to) reply, it's like "aint heard of it, can't be any good" or similar. It's weird-I blame nirvana's 'sliver' liner notes(a checklist for all things underground for the mainsteam to appropriate)-you see people wearing GERMS shirts who never even listened to the group(and would probably be horrified if they did).seemingly a mutual interest, but their reason for it is way , way off from mine(it aint about the music for them). so "conversation starters" are out as far as I'm concerned. Ryan Katastrophe said:
      I wouldn't blame you if you just deleted that shit right off the board.
      yeah, I take back what I said earlier Kopper, start charging at the door and demand resumes. maybe it's all the kids coming over from little steven's who only dig Jet or something.....
    • June 7, 2010 1:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Its a fine line between suggesting and preaching. Nobody likes to be preached to unless they are already in the fold to some degree.

Back when I owned an actual brick and mortar type record store I did more than my fair share spreading the word. It was the right venue for it... Its not hard to get a guy buying a copy of Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy to go for a Fleshtones or Chesterfield Kings record. Pretty much that guidance is what they're there for.

Opportunities like that are fewer and farther between nowadays. I mostly wait until someone asks my opinion.
    • June 7, 2010 12:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Always! Making mix tapes/cds is a favorite past time and any bit of cool, esoteric culture I can throw into the orbit of those around me who are deemed worthy, the better.
    • June 7, 2010 10:29 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So I guess this wouldn't be the greatest time to start a thread on Limp Bizkit? kopper said:
    • June 7, 2010 8:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I wouldn't blame you if you just deleted that shit right off the board.
    • June 7, 2010 8:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hell, look at the discussion threads on this forum lately... Oasis? The Lemonheads? Courtney Love? C'mon, can't we do better than that? This is GaragePunk.com... not AltRock.com. Ryan Katastrophe said:

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• June 5, 2010 4:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ryan Katastrophe said:Let's face it, the world ain't round, it's square That sums it up perfectly Ryan!!!!!
    • June 5, 2010 2:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 5, 2010 12:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm even back to putting shows on around town, but these days it's really tough to get people off the computer/tv to come out and see some live bands. But the ones that do come out usually have a really great time...some even come up to thank me for bringing these bands to town! I pretty much stopped booking shows after I booked and organized a festival here in St. Louis called the Show-Me Blowout (yes, named after Deke Dickerson's old fanzine about Missouri rock'n'roll) that sorta flopped. It featured the best garage-style bands from St. Louis, Columbia, Kansas City, Springfield & Joplin. The headliners I wanted to get couldn't play (or wouldn't play for any reasonable price... the Untamed Youth and the Royal Nonesuch). So I booked a couple local favorites to headline who had gained some fans and exposure outside of St. Louis (and who each hadn't played in several years), the Honkeys (surf) and the Cripplers (garage-punk). The Honkeys canceled because the guitarist was in another band and they got offered some sweet deal to play a show elsewhere so he had to do that instead. So to replace the Honkeys I put the Geargrinders on to headline the first night. They were just a local garage band (similar to the Stooges in sound) who were pretty popular in STL in the late '90s. I guess the Cripplers and the Geargrinders (not to mention the other bands on the bills, including Thee Fine Lines, the Rich Boys, Monte Carlos, Modern Primitives, the Nevermores & Pink Socks), weren't well known enough to have good pull, and we barely had 100 people show up each night. That was in October 2007 and I put a lot of time and money into it and ended up LOSING a lot of money. Less than a third of the T-shirts I made for the event sold, and with the lousy turnout I had to pay the bands miserably. Those who did come, of course, loved it. But I was pretty much done at that point. I also have a record label here (TIRC Records), and still release stuff once in a while whenever a band wants or needs my assistance. I haven't given that up. The last show I booked with that was a record-release show for the Nevermores that was also billed as a TIRC Records Showcase, since the other two bands on the bill also released stuff on my label (the 75s & Left Arm). That was over a year ago and I haven't booked anything since, and again, I rarely even go out to see bands unless it's something I just can't miss. But I'm committed to keeping this site up and alive, and trying to promote it and bring in more new members. I hope to get back to podcasting at some point. The office where I used to record my show is in shambles, and I'm in the middle of cleaning and reorganizing everything down there before I can even begin to think about putting together another show. But when I do, it'll be good, and I'll post it here on the Hideout like the others. New name, probably, and more straight forward, and probably more varied musically, but it'll be good, I promise.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel