Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Preachin' the Big Beat to the Lost?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 5, 2010 8:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BR>
      When I did my local radio show I used to think of it as "my mission" to bring these wild sounds to the airwaves in St. Louis. I used to get a huge kick out of the fact that I was playing some crazy rock'n'roll on the radio, and would wonder what sort of reactions it got out of people just flipping around on the dial in their cars... but that was 10 years or 15 years ago. I don't really give a shit anymore. My mission is done. That's not to say I might not ever do another radio show (or podcast) again, just that the point of doing it has changed. I no longer think what I play will influence a damned soul, nor do I care if it doesn't. I think this is just part of growing older, wiser, and jaded. Hey Kopper: I'm about 10 years older than you and i went through the same thing a number of years ago...rarely go out, gave up trying to turn people on to this music, stopped doing and writing fazines etc, was WAY busier with other stuff like raising kids, night school courses, renovating our house etc...But still listened to the music at home. Then out of the blue, a gentleman from Greece (George Rigas) approached us about re-releasing some of the garagier songs we released with cassettes that came with our zine (What Wave) back in the 80's and early 90's. We (my wife Rena and i) didn't think much would come of it, but Action Records released an LP with a bunch of these songs and we started to re-connect with many of our old pals from around the world. Myspace, email and sites like garagpunk hideout certainly helped with the reconnect. Once the LP was out i took it to our local university radio station to see if we could get some airplay to maybe sell a few copies locally. The program director loved the record, got me onair almost immediately and had me yacking about the old days and spinning some records. I went to leave and the Manager (Karlos, who has since passed away) grabbed me and said (paraphrasing cause i was in shock) 'man, the enthusiasm just pours out of you, we gotta get you on air'. It's had been well over 10 years since we'd done any radio (What Wave Radio, 1989 to 92? and it was a pre-recorded cassette that would get played at 1AM every 2nd or 4th monday, so tons of listeners...LOL). After almost a year, Radio What Wave finally got a regular spot (5.5 years in the same spot now) and still spinning the rock'n'roll that i dig. Because this is college radio, there's constant turnaround and sometimes i have to train some of the potential DJ's. Reaction to the music has been everything from the total shock of 'what kind of music is this???' to 'wow, this is really cool, i've never heard anything like this'....remember, most of these kids listen to rap, hip hop, metal, folky, whatever else is in the mainstream. Nowadays our kids are older (back when they were younger, you had to plan WAY ahead to go out....baby sitter etc) i tend to go to quite a few shows and once in awhile some kid i've never seen before will come up to me and tell me that he really likes the show...i was totally shocked the first time it happened! Now some of the kids know who i am and will ask about certain records, bands or venues that are long gone. It's a really cool feeling to help these kids and some of them are telling me about new bands that they think i will dig, and usually they are Right! I'm even back to putting shows on around town, but these days it's really tough to get people off the computer/tv to come out and see some live bands. But the ones that do come out usually have a really great time...some even come up to thank me for bringing these bands to town! The interesting thing is that some of the people we used to go to see shows with in the 70's/80's/early 90's are now going out to see shows as well. They are in our age bracket, kids are older, and now have a bit of spare time and still want a shot of rock'n'roll to make them feel young again...the trick is it only makes you feel young during the show, then you're back to being old the next morn...LOL...And being the oldest (or one of...) doesn't bother me, i'm just there to see a band and have some fun! So Kopper, it may just be another chapter you're going through in your life and you may get all of your enthusiasm and even more back someday...spinning tunes on the radio or via podcast could influence a whole bunch of kids...
    • June 5, 2010 2:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think this about the same place that I am at when it comes to spreading the word. I know myspace is old hat but that's just about it as an outlet goes. I can hip people to a new podcast or internet show in a bulletin but it's not going to be to anybody who is stuck in a classic rock trip or anything. That ended when I was 30. kopper said:
      This is kinda funny, but I think I'm just getting too old for these "hop in the car with your buddies" occurrences. Shit, that sounds like stuff I did when I was 24, not 44. So it's really hard for me to put myself into the context of the topic. It's not that I don't hang out with friends anymore or anything, but we're not usually hopping in the car to go out hell-raisin' or anything. Those wild & crazy nights pretty much ended abruptly when we had our first kid. These days it's usually seeing each other at shows or inviting people over for barbecues and such... and honestly, I rarely even go out to see live bands anymore (I think I've been out to just two shows in the past six months). And the friends I have been able to hang onto or still communicate with on any sort of regular basis (let's face it, the older you get, the fewer "new" friends you make), who haven't moved away or completely dropped off the face of the earth (gotten married and moved to the suburbs or Seattle, Portland, Denver, or other places far away from me), well, they already know what I like. They've known for years. They're not going to come over for a barbecue, hear me blasting NOBUNNY or the HEX DISPENSERS and go "woah man, what the fuck is that? That doesn't sound like the Eagles!" And the ones who I'm still friends with—the ones who aren't inclined to listen to obscure rock'n'roll, punk, or whatnot—either accepted the fact that I listen to some pretty weird (in their minds) shit, or they like even weirder shit than I do. In any event, they're all open-minded about music, and I wouldn't be friends with them otherwise. I'd have to think back 15 years or more to think of any "friends" I had who made a big deal over the music I listened to... and those people are just not my friends anymore (or never really were to begin with), go figure.

When I did my local radio show I used to think of it as "my mission" to bring these wild sounds to the airwaves in St. Louis. I used to get a huge kick out of the fact that I was playing some crazy rock'n'roll on the radio, and would wonder what sort of reactions it got out of people just flipping around on the dial in their cars... but that was 10 years or 15 years ago. I don't really give a shit anymore. My mission is done. That's not to say I might not ever do another radio show (or podcast) again, just that the point of doing it has changed. I no longer think what I play will influence a damned soul, nor do I care if it doesn't. I think this is just part of growing older, wiser, and jaded.
    • June 4, 2010 11:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is kinda funny, but I think I'm just getting too old for these "hop in the car with your buddies" occurrences. Shit, that sounds like stuff I did when I was 24, not 44. So it's really hard for me to put myself into the context of the topic. It's not that I don't hang out with friends anymore or anything, but we're not usually hopping in the car to go out hell-raisin' or anything. Those wild & crazy nights pretty much ended abruptly when we had our first kid. These days it's usually seeing each other at shows or inviting people over for barbecues and such... and honestly, I rarely even go out to see live bands anymore (I think I've been out to just two shows in the past six months). And the friends I have been able to hang onto or still communicate with on any sort of regular basis (let's face it, the older you get, the fewer "new" friends you make), who haven't moved away or completely dropped off the face of the earth (gotten married and moved to the suburbs or Seattle, Portland, Denver, or other places far away from me), well, they already know what I like. They've known for years. They're not going to come over for a barbecue, hear me blasting NOBUNNY or the HEX DISPENSERS and go "woah man, what the fuck is that? That doesn't sound like the Eagles!" And the ones who I'm still friends with—the ones who aren't inclined to listen to obscure rock'n'roll, punk, or whatnot—either accepted the fact that I listen to some pretty weird (in their minds) shit, or they like even weirder shit than I do. In any event, they're all open-minded about music, and I wouldn't be friends with them otherwise. I'd have to think back 15 years or more to think of any "friends" I had who made a big deal over the music I listened to... and those people are just not my friends anymore (or never really were to begin with), go figure. When I did my local radio show I used to think of it as "my mission" to bring these wild sounds to the airwaves in St. Louis. I used to get a huge kick out of the fact that I was playing some crazy rock'n'roll on the radio, and would wonder what sort of reactions it got out of people just flipping around on the dial in their cars... but that was 10 years or 15 years ago. I don't really give a shit anymore. My mission is done. That's not to say I might not ever do another radio show (or podcast) again, just that the point of doing it has changed. I no longer think what I play will influence a damned soul, nor do I care if it doesn't. I think this is just part of growing older, wiser, and jaded.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• June 4, 2010 8:05 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Sometimes at work when I'm all alone in the office I listen to the podcasts off the main page. Funnily enough a couple of the baby boomers at work sometimes hear them playing and kinda enjoy them but they also used to go and watch the local bands back in the sixties. One day one of the younger staff walked in and asked what the hell I was listening to and then stated "it sounds like they're trying to rip off King Kahn" Firstly how the fuck does he know about King Kahn?? He normally listens to that modern rock shit with heavy guitars and 'it's hard to be me' vocal lines but then I realized the Vice Records connection. I then tried to explain that it was more likely that King Kahn got his style from those before him, he just wondered off thinking I was a little stupid and outta touch to say the least.

The pub that I used to frequent all the time used to play the podcasts for the bar music, that was cool but they shut down, boo hoo I drink alone... I burn the podcasts on to DVD's for some of the staff that used to work there cause they really enjoyed them and are too broke to afford enough internet to download them or don't own computers. One of them made the comment that it's like listening to the radio but the music's good!
    • June 3, 2010 3:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Are you talking Roller Derby? Because, at least the derby players I've met (Rat City Rollers), they are very receptive to punk sounds be it garage or 77 or hardcore and anything in between, and can be appreciative of the roots like Link Ray or Bo Diddley. If you were on a long drive with a soft ball team, it'd probably be a different story. km said:
      Awww shit, I miss the days of mixtapes! That's why I love the podcasts here, it's my new supply of mixtapes from a grip of people with impeccable taste! (Hell, I even have "rewind" to give a good song a second listen!)

I play derby and I am on the road a lot with teammates, and have found that people are more receptive to the GPN podcasts or the contents of my ipod on road trips rather than parties. There is less distraction in the car and once people get into that "long drive mode" I think it makes them more receptive to new stuff. Especially if it has a theme.

But no one has fallen all over themselves about it either. I was hooked from the first podcast I heard here. I was a lucky kid though, my dad has always been a big music nerd with great taste, so I grew up being exposed to new and crazy shit all the time and it totally broadened my taste. Otherwise who knows, I'd probably be listening to the Killers right now (retch!) I can't even imagine. That shit all sounds like commercials to me, makes me want to sleep!

But yeah, I've mostly given up... but I do try to convert people who like a lot of the "precursor" stuff I listened to for years.
    • June 3, 2010 12:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Awww shit, I miss the days of mixtapes! That's why I love the podcasts here, it's my new supply of mixtapes from a grip of people with impeccable taste! (Hell, I even have "rewind" to give a good song a second listen!)

I play derby and I am on the road a lot with teammates, and have found that people are more receptive to the GPN podcasts or the contents of my ipod on road trips rather than parties. There is less distraction in the car and once people get into that "long drive mode" I think it makes them more receptive to new stuff. Especially if it has a theme.

But no one has fallen all over themselves about it either. I was hooked from the first podcast I heard here. I was a lucky kid though, my dad has always been a big music nerd with great taste, so I grew up being exposed to new and crazy shit all the time and it totally broadened my taste. Otherwise who knows, I'd probably be listening to the Killers right now (retch!) I can't even imagine. That shit all sounds like commercials to me, makes me want to sleep!

But yeah, I've mostly given up... but I do try to convert people who like a lot of the "precursor" stuff I listened to for years.
    • June 2, 2010 7:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know this will sound stupid, but because of Happy Days, I got introduced to Rock Around the Clock (yeah, I watched it when it first came on and that was the theme). Before that, I liked CCR, which as far as I'm concerned was the closest thing to rock and roll when it came to the mainstream. So it must have been that drum beat and guitar that got me to liking Bill Haley cuz except for CCR, I liked Nuthin'. Can you imagine trying to convert Kids to Bill Haley or Buddy Holly when KC and the Sunshine band were the Shit? I'm being sarcastic of course. I thought Buddy Holly was awesome and I was only 11. What's wrong with me? I didn't like the BEE GEES?
    • June 2, 2010 2:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh I rave about it all the time to squares, to friends, to punks, to hipsters, to mod snobs who think RNR started with the Beatles... on and on.

It's nice to see people look weird at you when you do the whack whack dance, throw your hands into the air like a spazz and spin yerself like crazy, when the more popular cuts like the Cramps, or the Phantom or Hasil come up. The indiekids all find it so snickery funny when they see you act "out of place." "Uncool" - you know it.

It seems like this is musical wasteland here in these locales, people like to get smart about music. Tell them about 50's/60's Punk they go: "But... but... Punk as a recipent streak of music in intellectual understanding was developed and established in the 80's!" What do you say to that? DANCE AND GO WILD IS WHAT! FREAK RAT OUT! DO THE ALIGATOR! DO THE PIG! DO THE LOWDOWN DIRTY RAWK N ROLL HIPSHAKE! Be the best example that this sound is alive like a box full of cobras.

Seriously, I keep smugging it into every party. People always go like: "This is so loud" I say: "Babay, this ain't Muse or the Killers." Seriously again, I saw people freak out to Bo Diddley so their whole workday was messed with. ROCK'N'ROLL destroyed their mind! ...and put it back together! You don't work the same way after it - and that's a good thing.

Thanks for asking Michael!

Here for the stir

• June 2, 2010 2:40 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

and jackson IS a baby fucker and blew bubbles.
    • June 2, 2010 2:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

you should have turned them on to that wicked motherfucker Haunted George-he rocks! trust me dude, I know the type. they'd never get it. Uncle Yah-Yah said:
      I worked at a place last year that had quite a large crowd of twenty-somethings. None of the people in this age group were interested in "music" at all. They were all into video games and new big budget Hollywood movies that were loaded with digital effects. I hung out by myself. They all thought that I was stuck-up but the fact of the matter is I didn't have anything to talk with them about outside of the jobs we were doing. When Michael Jackson died and I declared him "a baby-fucker", that was it. I went to being lower than snake shit.
    • June 1, 2010 5:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I keep preaching, but there is absolutely NO LUCK. My friends just give me a hard time for liking some obscure punk band from Texas or something along those lines. The jokes changes each week... But, I did get my soon to be wife to rock out to rockabilly with me!
    • June 1, 2010 3:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...saying that "Star Wars" is for fucking squares didn't help.
    • June 1, 2010 3:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I worked at a place last year that had quite a large crowd of twenty-somethings. None of the people in this age group were interested in "music" at all. They were all into video games and new big budget Hollywood movies that were loaded with digital effects. I hung out by myself. They all thought that I was stuck-up but the fact of the matter is I didn't have anything to talk with them about outside of the jobs we were doing. When Michael Jackson died and I declared him "a baby-fucker", that was it. I went to being lower than snake shit.
    • May 30, 2010 10:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry, but I kind of gave up on being the Paul Revere of my generation (running through the streets yelling what to look out for), since I could barely convert anybody. My only outlet these days is telling people on myspace since chances are friends there have similar tastes.
    • May 30, 2010 6:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was once referred to as the "party killer" because I would always try and get people to listen to mix cds and crap I would bring... usually against a lot of protest.

I don't have that problem anymore because I don't have any friends!
    • May 29, 2010 11:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Classic Rock" is the muzak of my work place too. It took me many years to work myself to a position in which I get to be the stereo nazi at work. I put up with 18 years of their crap, now it's pay back time. All kidding aside, I generally take it easy on them and try and play something I think they may be able to warm up to, but it appears that anything that they don't instantly recognize from their small radio playlist knowledge of music is unnerving for them. The only one at work who I've ever made a disc for is also one of the oldest at 63. He's given me some of his old LPs like the Standells, ? & Mysterians, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Leaves etc, so he had general decent taste in the 60's when he grew up.He has taken a liking to modern surf stuff like the Tiki Phantoms etc, he really likes the Detroit Cobras, recorded a disc of the Lyres at his request and lots of Ska, Rock Steady and early Reggae. He may not want a copy of everything I play, like Wau y Los Arrghs, Peyotes or Beat-Man's stuff, but he can give it a serious listen and not gripe about it like the others. He in turn turns it on to his grown children who generally are not into it. Outside of my jaded friends my main "mission" is my son who for being 15 has a pretty eclectic taste and knowledge of rock n roll of all eras. In actuality I've never pushed anything on him, I want him to develop his own tastes whatever that might be, but he's just developed a liking for it from hearing it all his life I guess. I actually get a kick out of hearing him play something he's discovered on his own or better yet something I've never heard.
    • May 29, 2010 6:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I "spread the word" in my weekly music column and my radio shows.

Most people my age made their musical beds years and years ago. My cousin once observed that most people just like what they liked in high school. I don't waste much energy on trying to convert.

Then again, at least one NM state legislator i know subscribes to The Big Enchilada.
    • May 28, 2010 2:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I try to preach every chance I get to my co-workers, but it falls on deaf ears.
    • May 28, 2010 1:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like to think they both mean the same thing... Michael Kaiser said:
      "What the heck is this stuff?" - 2

"Such a cool vibe" - 1
    • May 28, 2010 10:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"What the heck is this stuff?" - 2

"Such a cool vibe" - 1
    • May 28, 2010 2:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am in Mississippi. No one here would want to hear it. I don't want "phonies" in my sphere. "thas jes noize" , people who are content-nay-INSIST on their classic rock radio with the castrated playlist of the same 30 songs/groups.

I used to love spreading the word about things when I lived in New Orleans and before the internet. yes-the internet:I post or link at places,or try to do research, it seems like EVERYTHING is panned by faux jaded hipster types who either don't get it or are seriously "misinformed". In ye olden tymes, I'd give somebody a mix tape, and they'd end up a fan. I like being "stuck up" and secretive.
    • May 27, 2010 1:51 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

All of my friends pretty much made up their minds a long time ago as to what they like and don't like, so no, I've stopped trying to convert people a long time ago. Then again, I'm pretty much stuck in my ways too.
    • May 27, 2010 1:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wish we had a store like that where i live....London Ontario Canada...if i play any music at work (i work in an environment where it's pretty much all guys and we each have a computer and small work area to do our job) all i hear is 'turn that shit off' or 'what the fuck is that noise?'. Needless to say, i've given up and only play my music when no one else is around...70's classic schlock still rules around here... ixnayray said:
      I work in an alternative clothing and music merchandise store and I have the privelage of blasting music out all day. Fortunately as i'm in charge, I get to play music from my collection.

I play bands like The Beguiled, The Cramps, The Staggers, Bloodshot Bill, old school rockabilly and surf every day. Of course, I play the GP Podcasts too and I often get people commenting to me that they like my store because we always play such unusual music and it creates such a cool vibe. And when they ask me, "Hey, who is this band you're playing?", I get a pen and paper and jot down the GP web address and tell them to check us out.

I guess it's not that I "feel the need" to spread the wealth... I'm just lucky enough to play what I want. I think everyone digs savage rock 'n' roll - they just don't know it yet!
    • May 26, 2010 6:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I work in an alternative clothing and music merchandise store and I have the privelage of blasting music out all day. Fortunately as i'm in charge, I get to play music from my collection.

I play bands like The Beguiled, The Cramps, The Staggers, Bloodshot Bill, old school rockabilly and surf every day. Of course, I play the GP Podcasts too and I often get people commenting to me that they like my store because we always play such unusual music and it creates such a cool vibe. And when they ask me, "Hey, who is this band you're playing?", I get a pen and paper and jot down the GP web address and tell them to check us out.

I guess it's not that I "feel the need" to spread the wealth... I'm just lucky enough to play what I want. I think everyone digs savage rock 'n' roll - they just don't know it yet!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel