Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Land Of A Thousand Dances

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 13, 2010 12:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

After seeing bits of the restored T.A.M.I. show on PBS recently, I realized that I don't know my Shingaling from my Boogaloo and couldn't find my Hully Gully with both hands.  Somebody help me.  Is there a good location on the web for dancing vids?
    • October 6, 2010 8:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I rarely cuss but I 'm gonna give this a FUCK YEAH. I've been looking for this for the last five years on youtube. I have a copy on some old VHS that I recorded off AMC when they had American Pop (which wouldn't surprise me if this is the same source).

kopper said:

• October 6, 2010 1:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• September 8, 2010 5:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HAhaha DammitDave said:
      I'm ashamed that I haven't seen that. Somehing came to my mind after you said that which is probably closer to my dancing style: Walter Matthau when he goes to a discotheque with Goldie Hawn in "The Cactus Flower."
    • September 8, 2010 5:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're also one in a million. Not too many people think like you. Isabella Gloria said:
      I've watched every episode of Shindig, Hullabaloo and Hollywood A Go-Go that I could get my grimy little generation-Y hand on, and I'm a better dancer for it (;

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Don't worry...my mom use to spell potato the same way. I don't understand why the plural adds an e which probably adds to the confusion.

This is a great discussion by the way. I was reading in my local paper (for Vashon, WA) that they cancelled the high school prom due to low ticket sales. Why low ticket sales? Because the school banned grinding, which isn't even dancing as far as I'm concerened. I can't understand how it is that kids can't learn real dancing, even Washington DC go go styles. I'm starting to think that watching Shindig and Hullabaloo should be a school requirement.

DammitDave said:
      Kopper - That's either the British spelling or my s must have blown off. That usually happens after a night of draught ale and cauliflower cheese. I should have used spell cheque. Either way, colour me embarressed (rosy red with severe shame).
    • September 8, 2010 4:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm ashamed that I haven't seen that. Somehing came to my mind after you said that which is probably closer to my dancing style: Walter Matthau when he goes to a discotheque with Goldie Hawn in "The Cactus Flower."
    • September 8, 2010 4:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like the scene in 'To Sir, With Love' when the teacher & student dance to the Mindbenders. A little cheesy, but fun (: DammitDave said:
      Or what are the best movies with dance scenes?
    • September 8, 2010 4:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've watched every episode of Shindig, Hullabaloo and Hollywood A Go-Go that I could get my grimy little generation-Y hand on, and I'm a better dancer for it (; Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Don't worry...my mom use to spell potato the same way. I don't understand why the plural adds an e which probably adds to the confusion.

This is a great discussion by the way. I was reading in my local paper (for Vashon, WA) that they cancelled the high school prom due to low ticket sales. Why low ticket sales? Because the school banned grinding, which isn't even dancing as far as I'm concerened. I can't understand how it is that kids can't learn real dancing, even Washington DC go go styles. I'm starting to think that watching Shindig and Hullabaloo should be a school requirement.

DammitDave said:
      Kopper - That's either the British spelling or my s must have blown off. That usually happens after a night of draught ale and cauliflower cheese. I should have used spell cheque. Either way, colour me embarressed (rosy red with severe shame).
    • September 4, 2010 7:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey! Do the log, and the Shuffle!
    • August 30, 2010 2:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Laney Cross is SO behind the times ☺ VJ Wasted said:
      Here is a vid with instructions for some Dances. There is a good DVD (Twist by Ron Mann) about the history of dances. I like it a lot.

Twist and other Dances

VJ Wasted | MySpace Video
    • August 30, 2010 2:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I meant to say "reply to this" button. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Dude, you gotta learn how to hit the add reply button. I forgot that I wrote this and it looks like somehting you are saying as if you thought it up.

Dan Danger said:

As long as it isn't "Hootenany."
    • August 30, 2010 2:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dude, you gotta learn how to hit the add reply button. I forgot that I wrote this and it looks like somehting you are saying as if you thought it up. Dan Danger said:

• August 30, 2010 11:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 27, 2010 9:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool. I never seem to find anything like that when I'm searching for Go Go stuff. I did think though that you're supposed to put one hand over the eye when you do a Sammy Davis.

Most guys would find me crazy but I think 60s dancing just looks sexier than what passes on TV and movies today. Feet together, knees close together. But that's me.
    • August 27, 2010 8:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 7, 2010 1:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Those comps are fanfuckingtastic! Everyone should own them.
    • May 25, 2010 5:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Grinding isn't dancing though, unless you consider lapdancing dancing. Maybe kids today aren't going to bother with cool sixties styles (by the way, those Land of 1000 Dances sound like they'll be great) but maybe showing Grease and Footloose to teenagers isn't a bad idea. The problem though is that they don't want to listen to anything besides monotonous Jay-Z music. DammitDave said:
      Schools banning lesbians and grinding!?! Have we learned nothing from Footloose? Actually I've never seen it. Maybe it's closer to Dirty Dancing? Flashdance? Fame...umm...Some Kind Of Wonderful? All not seen by me so I'm taking wild guesses here.
    • May 25, 2010 1:00 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Grease? By the way, re: the subject of this discussion, get these comps: Land of 1000 Dances Vol. 1 Land of 1000 Dances Vol. 2 DammitDave said:
      Schools banning lesbians and grinding!?! Have we learned nothing from Footloose? Actually I've never seen it. Maybe it's closer to Dirty Dancing? Flashdance? Fame...umm...Some Kind Of Wonderful? All not seen by me so I'm taking wild guesses here.

• May 25, 2010 12:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 24, 2010 5:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

this is one trend that i would really love to see come back into popular culture! kids these days are too cool to dance, when it used to be that you were sooooo uncool if you didn't know how to dance! watching a group of people line up and dance to "the stroll" at a throwback doowop show was one of the best things i've ever SEEN!
    • May 24, 2010 5:52 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Another thing that spawned this is my brother made me a comp with two tracks that may or may not have been titled: "Hully Gully Time" and "Let's Do the Hully Gully." These are both pretty damned cool instrumentals with the occasional vocal lines thrown in (titles). I feel these were thrown together in the studio and enhanced with genuine fake live crowd background noise (which was the style of the time).
    • May 24, 2010 5:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't worry...my mom use to spell potato the same way. I don't understand why the plural adds an e which probably adds to the confusion. This is a great discussion by the way. I was reading in my local paper (for Vashon, WA) that they cancelled the high school prom due to low ticket sales. Why low ticket sales? Because the school banned grinding, which isn't even dancing as far as I'm concerened. I can't understand how it is that kids can't learn real dancing, even Washington DC go go styles. I'm starting to think that watching Shindig and Hullabaloo should be a school requirement. DammitDave said:
    • May 24, 2010 12:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 24, 2010 8:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

ooh, i just love dance crazes! when our radio station had its radiothon last year one of the premiums i offered was a 2-disc "dance craze" cd..it was so fun to make!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel