Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: COMICS WATCH! MAY 2012! New Peter Bagge + classic Japanese ficti

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 1, 2010 10:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's a quick run down of what is coming out this springy summer season from your humble Comic servants:

Peter Bagge is on with a new series from DARK HORSE called RESET (clickety click here & check out some preview pages!), a 2nd of 4 issue has just come out on the 16th. Looks like a romp!

DRAWN AND QUARTERLY has the complete selection of their ambitious Yoshihiro Tatsumi short story collection out as handy soft covers, along with the NEWly published FALLEN WORDS that just came out this month: GO GO Go check out his complete catalog here!  Watch out though, his work is poetic and beautiful, but mercilessly disturbing.

For more wig-out Japanese avant-guarde action, check out SHIGERU MIZUKI's first ever english translation of ghost storie's in NONNONBA (Click the fat word!) and Imiri Sakabashira's exceptional BOX MAN.*

Speaking of disturbingly surreal/real tales of the human spirit, D&Q is also bringing out a collection of CHESTER BROWNS ED THE HAPPY CLOWN. This surrealist classic made Chester realize what he was wanting for in his work - and what a ride he took to get there!

*Needless to say, these books all are milestones in their own right and should give you a good overview of what the wild Japanese comics literature is, looking beyond all the crazy Sci-Fi trash (sic!) kids TV is floored with right now. Previews of all books should be availible on the site! Thanks for reading!

All pictures and work owned by the artists and/or respective owners.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMICS WATCH #1 + DORKY intro:

So I was jus' wantin' to let ya know what a steamin' hot cool load of books came out from FANTAGRAPHICS this April, you know the splendid folks that brought you the likes of EIGHTBALL, LOVE AND ROCKETs and BLACK HOLE. Click on the fat titles to get linked to FANTA SITE where you can read real info (as opposed to my clutters) and best of all preview the books either via video or .pdf. Now, ain't that some sweet providin'??? AWright, here is the run down:

#1 WALLY GROPIOUS by Tim Hensley

FIRST OFF, I want to shine a light on a book that's near and dear to my cringed little heart: The Wally Gropious Collection by Tim Hensley. It's a whipcrack of sweet cartoon sounds, strips bathed in the molten sauce of their own history and crafted to perferction ba the marvelous hands of Mr. Hensley. WALLY is what undedicated mainstream readers would decline as ABSTRACT, but really it's the source of classical cartooning brought up to modern hights, by way of keeping all of the profoundly whack standards intact that make it so great.  It's quick, it's sharp, it's terrifying but with all the sweetness you can think off. Kind of like GARAGEPUNK, it's so rough, it will cast off most, but those who dig it, are most likely to stay forever in this rich and wondrous world.

#2 Sand & Fury: A Scream Queen Adventure by Ho Che Anderson

Ho Che Anderson in Black an' White! The awesome painted cover and the broad Horror and B-Movie refferences (don't take it from me kids - see for yourself!) in this one make it a jump into your-kind-of-temprature water and will most likely please your garagerockin' eyzzzzz. Nuff said!

#3 Classic Pin-up Art of Jack Cole

In line with our nod #1 to sweet Cahmics and their background, Jack Coles Cartoons (yes, it says classic!) bring back the grandour of a time when you could still read the papers and find something else but Garfield and your local syndicated Flinstones rip off strip. If ya dig yerself some 50's raunch from the likes of the covers of the "Mens Adventure" mags and pulps, this is the cartoon stuff that would fill the space inbetween those crazy ass stories! Also of PLAYBOY fame.

#4 It Was the War of the Trenches by Jacques Tardi

Tardi is another Noir Classic, this time around from the other side of the nightpan called the Atlantic. His Books and stories around odd looking detectives and their just as odd opponents and lovers inherit low life cult status and are a thing to themselves. It's crime in black and white and just as you know that things are going to go sour for your PI/Cop character, it's likely that the story is going to be bedded in a big knockover unitl the end swings around to finally blow out the stars swirling over ones head.

#5 BLAZING COMBAT by Archie Goodwin and Various Artists  

To take a flight back to 'merica in the mid 60's, here is what Comics were when they were Comics, errrrm, you know: Classic stuff, Adventure, Horror, Romance, Pulps and of course: War Comics. Just a genre as all genres back then, but with a knack and regraded with highest praise when it comes to artists that would fill the pages: ALEX TOTH, WALLY WOOD, FRANK FRAZETTA, you name 'em they are in this book. Now I am a Punk and I couldn't give less of a damn about all this warrin' business. Neither could the authors it seems, so this is more about the gruesome effects of the warmachine and the losses connected to it. Brought to you in stark Black an' White artwork, straight from the genepool of Comics. So I'm takin' my dive into that one.

#6 THE CULTURE CORNER by BASIL WOLVERTON

"This book is funny, doh!" I really need not say more, as I just know good ol' Basil has a bunch of interested readers around the corners of the GARAGEPUNK network. But just for the sake of it: IT'S WOLVERTON DOING STRIPS! YAY!

#7 HATE ANNUAL #8 by Peter Bagge

Some new BUDDY stuff, some compiled stories from varied sources from over the year. Hell, you just gotta know that this years HATE Annual is out and you don't need to scorn thru every single magazine that the stuff in it was published in, but can read it all in a handy volume. Perfect for school when you need to hide it behind your CHEMISTRY books and do something REALLY useful. What?!?! You actually liked school? Get outta here! 

#8 ABANDONED CARS (Softcover!) by TIM LANE

Ok, I plead to end this summeration with a SLAMMER! Granted? OK: Just check out the fabulous covers on this one please, it's TIM LANE, man with a plan when it comes to his Comics. Fat as lard artwork, smooth as chevy seat leather writing. Again all in Black and White, wrapping his tales of urban confusion into one hell of sandwich.
      Now it's stuuuuuupid in my op to say "this is good because it looks like that", but Tim is a living testament of the Awesomness (Capital!) of the modern Underground-gone-art-novel style Comics of CRUMB, BURNS and CLOWES and slammin' that to the table with his own finesse. He is the latest in their DNA string. But see for yourself and be petrified!

Here for the stir

• February 14, 2013 3:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dunno how famous The Perry Bible Fellowship is, but in case ya haven't seen its twisted humor, Here 'Tis

happier

• December 28, 2012 4:38 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm also reading Milo Manara's library that Dark Horse is putting out. I prefer the color stuff, but each volume (3 at our library, at least) has a mix of B&W and color. 

He mixes history, humor, and erotica in a way that you could never see a Yank succeeding at.

He may be the most sensuous comic artist I've ever seen, wow, this guy is up in Jaime Hernandez' league!

So far, most of the stories I've read have a bittersweet outlook, but he has a bawdy type of humor as well.

This is my 1st exposure to Manara's work, but in Europe he's been a star for decades. The story I started out with wasn't even written by him, but was from Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN, and yes, it was every bit as good as you'd expect of Gaiman (not to mention Manara). Incredible stuff, and much better than the juvenile Heavy Metal type of 'European' talent.

• December 26, 2012 3:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm reading HUGO PRATT's Corto Maltese story The Ballad Of The Salt Sea. It's a real immersive novel, you def. have to take yr time with this.

The American edition has been colored, which I enjoy (but not everyone likes it).

Corto is a bit of an anti-hero, like Han Solo. Takes place in the early days of WW1.

• December 16, 2012 3:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

For alla you ALAN MOORE fans, look at this:

Alan Moore: why I turned my back on Hollywood

Alan Moore, eccentric genius behind graphic-novel classics V for Vendetta and Watchmen, rejected big-movie riches. Now he has made a low-budget film in his beloved home town, Northampton.

• December 15, 2012 3:53 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Better late than never :D  Yr right, it looks sooo much like Wally Wood, if he was even more f'cked up. EC fans take note, as should all fanboys who like kwality aht. Buy!

John Battles said:

OK, THIS IS THE SAME BOOK I BOUGHT IN A BROWN PAPER BAG , ALL THOSE YEARS AGO.NOT ONLY DOES ALTERGOTT STAND TALL AMONGT A MINISCULE GROUP OF PEERS (BAGGE , CLOWES , BRUNETTI) AS ONE OF AMERICA'S GREAT MODERN HUMORISTS , BUT HE DRAWS ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE WALLY WOOD ! GO ON , BUY IT. FIND OUT HOW A FORMER FRATBOY EARNED THE NICKNAME OF "DUDE" , AND WHY DOOFUS' SOCIAL CLUB IS CALLED "40 ACRES" , AND WHAT HENRY HOTCHKISS DID TO SABOTAGE HIS OWN INDUCTION INTO SAID ORGANIZATION.

John Battles said:

I have a review for Rick Altergott's Doofus Omnibus (Which came out about 10 years ago ,unless this is something new.) - " THANK YOU , SIR, CAN I HAVE ANOTHER?".

dave said:

Hey, I just found out that Rick Altergott has a DOOFUS! omnibus Amazon review

For alla you sickos out there!

• December 15, 2012 3:40 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, THIS IS THE SAME BOOK I BOUGHT IN A BROWN PAPER BAG , ALL THOSE YEARS AGO.NOT ONLY DOES ALTERGOTT STAND TALL AMONGT A MINISCULE GROUP OF PEERS (BAGGE , CLOWES , BRUNETTI) AS ONE OF AMERICA'S GREAT MODERN HUMORISTS , BUT HE DRAWS ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE WALLY WOOD ! GO ON , BUY IT. FIND OUT HOW A FORMER FRATBOY EARNED THE NICKNAME OF "DUDE" , AND WHY DOOFUS' SOCIAL CLUB IS CALLED "40 ACRES" , AND WHAT HENRY HOTCHKISS DID TO SABOTAGE HIS OWN INDUCTION INTO SAID ORGANIZATION.

John Battles said:

I have a review for Rick Altergott's Doofus Omnibus (Which came out about 10 years ago ,unless this is something new.) - " THANK YOU , SIR, CAN I HAVE ANOTHER?".

dave said:

• December 15, 2012 3:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dave said:

• December 15, 2012 1:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• December 7, 2012 5:02 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bulletin for ALL WOLVERTON lovers!

The craziest, weirdest ass space Comic has finally landed in our strip of the Galaxy: SPACEHAWK! Wolverton's take on the space travelin' gun for hire ...ermmm hero. Weird, far-out and action packed as only him can do.

Check some previews HERE!

Here for the stir

• December 7, 2012 4:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, thanks for asking, I will do so this weekend hopefully! The retrospect idea is also great.

dave said:

Hey,  IDON MINE, are you gonna do a best-of for the year (or the past 12 years, I'll bite!)

Here for the stir

• December 7, 2012 4:57 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for that, this looks great, I would have missed this otherwise. The day was gonna come when Sacco sets his merciless eyes on American Eyes ...again. I haven't gotten to read any really recent volume of LOEG yet, but I have a stash to go thru now!

dave said:

Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt

Here's a meaty graphic novel collecting pieces by journalist Chris Hedges, illustrated by (Portland native!) Joe Sacco (you probably know his classic PALESTINE). It chronicles America's downfall, and the last chapter is written about the Occupy movement.

One of the best comics of the year!

Here for the stir

• December 7, 2012 4:55 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YES! It's killer, these guys just can't do wrong. And this year is 30th anniversary baby!

dave said:

The newest LOVE & ROCKETS collection is pretty good, w/ the highlight for me being a short story about Doyle's past. Hell, it's the Hernandez Bros., you're gonna buy this anyway, right?

Here for the stir

• December 2, 2012 3:20 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey,  IDON MINE, are you gonna do a best-of for the year (or the past 12 years, I'll bite!)

• December 2, 2012 3:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt

Here's a meaty graphic novel collecting pieces by journalist Chris Hedges, illustrated by (Portland native!) Joe Sacco (you probably know his classic PALESTINE). It chronicles America's downfall, and the last chapter is written about the Occupy movement.

One of the best comics of the year!

• November 29, 2012 5:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The last ish of Alan Moore's LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN looks like it may be the last for awhile (no spoilers). As solid as all of his other work, it takes off from events of 1969.
    • November 29, 2012 5:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The newest LOVE & ROCKETS collection is pretty good, w/ the highlight for me being a short story about Doyle's past. Hell, it's the Hernandez Bros., you're gonna buy this anyway, right?
    • September 12, 2012 4:51 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha, yeah please do so! Haven't heard about one either, those come out kinda spontaneously.

John Battles said:

I LIKED THE RESET SERIES , BUT I'M JONESIN' FOR A NEW HATE ANNUAL. IF IT'S OUT , I HAVE'NT SEEN IT , BUT , I'LL KEEP AN EYE OUT.....YOU KNOW , LIKE A POPPED - OUT EYEBALL LIKE A CLASSIC BAGGE CARTOON PISSOFF.

Here for the stir

• September 3, 2012 12:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I LIKED THE RESET SERIES , BUT I'M JONESIN' FOR A NEW HATE ANNUAL. IF IT'S OUT , I HAVE'NT SEEN IT , BUT , I'LL KEEP AN EYE OUT.....YOU KNOW , LIKE A POPPED - OUT EYEBALL LIKE A CLASSIC BAGGE CARTOON PISSOFF.

• June 20, 2012 2:15 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Stevel! Good to see you round again! Shaky Kane is Boss, thanks for hinting at that new BC series, how could I miss that?

Stevel Knievel said:

Here for the stir

• June 20, 2012 2:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Dave, good to hear you fancy this and you're welcome of course! There is so much stuff going on comicwise, I should be up to adding more things.

dave said:

Thanks for the books, man! I thought that John Battles and I were the only fans of comics here. Always read anything Bagge makes.

Hope ya post more often.

Dave

Here for the stir

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel