Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: COMICS WATCH! MAY 2012! New Peter Bagge + classic Japanese ficti

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 17, 2012 6:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I find this site confusing, however I just gotzta bleat about a comic book by the name of 'The Bulletproof Coffin', now on it's second run 'The Bulletproof Coffin Disinterred'. It's a gloriously sweaty punk n roll visual riot drawn by Shaky Kane and written by David Vine, out through Image Comics. A Gorgeously paranoid story whose drawings set it aside from the usual Super Hero fodder it references. Jack Kirby with magic markers? Get it in your eyes. 

• June 3, 2012 4:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for the books, man! I thought that John Battles and I were the only fans of comics here. Always read anything Bagge makes.

Hope ya post more often.

Dave

• May 18, 2012 5:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just updated this with some new & weird releases that should be of interest to HIDEOUT readers. Enjoy!

And Thanks Stevel for your input!

Here for the stir

• November 13, 2010 6:58 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi, Thanks for the reply. Totally get what you say as per Beto's output. Nothing is tacked on, his output is very direct & we as readers are super lucky to be that close to the source. Thats the punk aspect innit? Sketch book immediacy. Recently read 'The Troublemakers' & found it nifty & explicicative of the whole B Movie trip he is currently rockin'. A great stand alone story (heres hoping David Lynch reads comics) but also glueing together the Love & Rockets stories of late. I love to enter that whole universe of the brothers world, find it amazing that the characters & their progeny just grow & grow. There is a great interview between Jaime and Gary Groth from Fantagraphics posted online recently ( i got it through L&R's Facebook page) worth an hour of your lives.
      Other recent reads are the 'Johnny Cash - I See a Darkness' book by Reinhard Kleist. It is a familar & well trodden story with no real new revelations but beautifuly presented. Totally recommend it, he's obviously a fan with his idiosyncratic penmanship holding together the narrative beyond mere reportage. There are familiar & iconic images & events told with fresh eyes (& ears). The whole has a trippy, speedy celebratory feel to it without being indulgent or naive. Grand stuff.
      Also 'Wilson' By Daniel Clowes. Nowt to say beyond read it, it's perfect. His story telling has never faltered & enjoyable to see his drawing style(s) become a tad more fluid & loose without losing the repessive tightness of the characters & issues he be dealing within.
      That's me reviewed out. I've enjoyed Johny Ryans stuff previously & shall deffo check out your reccomendation. Also enjoying your own drawings posted up here. Basil Wolverton meets Charles Burns & then tells this lazy summation to fuck off.
      Thanks for starting this discussion & heres hopin' others share our interests and join in.
    • November 9, 2010 7:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey there!

Sorry to keep you waiting for so long to get back - thanks for your insights. I'm just about to get X'ed out. Burn's books always sink in deep. I was glad to hear that Burns would tackle a longer project with Black Hole back when he started it and now can't wait to get X'ed. There is a great concept book out by him from Buenaventura Press, concentrating on the mood of the 50's-60's Comics he personally favors. It's called swipe file I think.

I have to say I'm tuned in to Gilbert's stuff. How he seems to incorporate Trash movie themes into his thought out story concepts is a very interesting route to go for him. Yes, it can get messy at times, but I just like this guys drive and the energy he puts into the stories. He gives me a lot to read (in terms of the books he brings out) and the weirdness doesn't feel tacked on in his writing, as well as being transported well into his drawings.

On a different note, there is a very trashy book out called PRISON PIT by Johny Ryan. To me it has a loose connection to the way Gilbert works his stories: It looks rough around the edges and is more about mood and flow, instead of direct storytelling. It's also filled with crude humor, best seen thru the filter of other trashy and classic fighting Manga such as Berserk, Fist of the North Star and Striker. Cooked with a huge drop of Ryans own demented ideas on humor of course. Well, I really enjoyed it and would be interested to hear what you think.

Concerning the books I selected: I'm aware that they spread out a bit far topicwise, but they are mere recommendations, hopefully meeting the interests folks here have, outside of Comics. I guess I always let my own love light shine a bit bright when I compile such a list... Anyways, I hope to do it on a somewhat regular basis in the future, thanks again for the interest.

Stevel Knievel said:
      Hi, I am fairly new to the Hideout and glad to see y'all chatting comics. I have read a couple from your list (The Basil Wolverton being a total joy, Also Hate which i follow for the Buddy Bradley stuff but find the rest kinda hit and miss). I am on the look out for the Jacques Tardi book as have enjoyed other stuff by him.
      Today i bought X'ed Out by Charles Burns and am still digesting it a few hours after reading. Really great stuff i thought. When i heard his latest was going to be in full colour, i kinda shuddered thinking maybe some of the spooky, retro, horror movie atmosphere would be lost but the finished article was not a disapointment. The oversized format and binding has the feel of a Tin Tin book which is appealing. Then when you get reading you soon realise this ain't one for the kids. I am hooked with this first installment and hope more follows soon. I think his story telling suits the longer run volumes, giving him more space to let events unfold. I was a fan of Black Hole and it seems this is following similar themes (Fup Duck teen, druggy outsider experience). So yer, cant wait for more. Have you read it? Are you a fan?
      Another great recent read was the latest Love and Rockets volume (New stories No#3) To be honest, some of Beto's later stuff has lost me a tad (was a huge fan of the original Palomar stories) but this new run has him (in my opinion) on top form. I am enjoying the concept of the adaptations of B movies being told on the page. Then mixing that with the Fritz/Killer in real life stories. The greatest stuff however has got to be Jaimes latest. His drawing style just gets better and better. His lines are so clean and look effortless. The panels just flow beautifuly. Every character has personality and expression. The pages are such a wonder visually, then mixing that with his writing, which equally has that detailed efficiency. It's just an awesome read. The Brown Town story is totally top quality. It's heavy, break your heart themes but told with subtlety and skill. Then that story seeps into his current Maggie stories, man what can i say? Just a perfect read that confirms why i love the Comic format so much.
      Well thats my rant over, would be great to hear your opinions on both books if you have read them? Also would be interested in further recommendations by yourself and other folk out there. Comic stores are few and far between in the UK, with decent stores being even harder to find. So it would be great to get the heads up on titles through the Hideout.

Here for the stir

• October 9, 2010 5:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hi, I am fairly new to the Hideout and glad to see y'all chatting comics. I have read a couple from your list (The Basil Wolverton being a total joy, Also Hate which i follow for the Buddy Bradley stuff but find the rest kinda hit and miss). I am on the look out for the Jacques Tardi book as have enjoyed other stuff by him.
      Today i bought X'ed Out by Charles Burns and am still digesting it a few hours after reading. Really great stuff i thought. When i heard his latest was going to be in full colour, i kinda shuddered thinking maybe some of the spooky, retro, horror movie atmosphere would be lost but the finished article was not a disapointment. The oversized format and binding has the feel of a Tin Tin book which is appealing. Then when you get reading you soon realise this ain't one for the kids. I am hooked with this first installment and hope more follows soon. I think his story telling suits the longer run volumes, giving him more space to let events unfold. I was a fan of Black Hole and it seems this is following similar themes (Fup Duck teen, druggy outsider experience). So yer, cant wait for more. Have you read it? Are you a fan?
      Another great recent read was the latest Love and Rockets volume (New stories No#3) To be honest, some of Beto's later stuff has lost me a tad (was a huge fan of the original Palomar stories) but this new run has him (in my opinion) on top form. I am enjoying the concept of the adaptations of B movies being told on the page. Then mixing that with the Fritz/Killer in real life stories. The greatest stuff however has got to be Jaimes latest. His drawing style just gets better and better. His lines are so clean and look effortless. The panels just flow beautifuly. Every character has personality and expression. The pages are such a wonder visually, then mixing that with his writing, which equally has that detailed efficiency. It's just an awesome read. The Brown Town story is totally top quality. It's heavy, break your heart themes but told with subtlety and skill. Then that story seeps into his current Maggie stories, man what can i say? Just a perfect read that confirms why i love the Comic format so much.
      Well thats my rant over, would be great to hear your opinions on both books if you have read them? Also would be interested in further recommendations by yourself and other folk out there. Comic stores are few and far between in the UK, with decent stores being even harder to find. So it would be great to get the heads up on titles through the Hideout.
    • June 22, 2010 7:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know where you are coming from. I typically avoid, for that reason, anything that DC releases as a film. I feel like they can't get out of their own way and end up destroying everything.

Do you read Criminal bu Brubaker. It is in trade, but the single issues have essays at the end of each. Fascinating if you are into crime fiction, too.
    • June 10, 2010 9:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sorry for the long not-reply!
      AND thanks for the lowdown on the movie, nice to hear it summed up like that. David Fincher, that sounds rather fresh! It's almost weird, I saw myself complaining/dreaming about who (in my opinion) would do a appropriate movie on Comics and always said Fincher would be a good thing in any gritty Comic adaption... someone heard my prayer there, hehe. Now I also got to think HARD about David Lynch making a superhero movie and everything is good and well ;) But the Green Lantern is already taken... hmmm maybe Tarzan, what with the 50's craze of old David.

The Hellboy movies: Like you said, they are cool seen by themselves, sleek stuff VERY well done. I was just a bit put off, Mignola being so involved and all and it didn't look like a Cronenberg movie. You know the stupid feeling of fanboy ownage and all. Which I don't usually have. At the very least this is a Comic that helped change the mainstream around a bit in the last 15 years and it's not that you see such a weird baby grow to such power every now and then.

Here for the stir

• June 3, 2010 11:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The guy who did Fight Club (Fincher?) is directing it and it is fully animated. The characters designs are spot on and there is totoaly deication to making it look like the comic came to life and not we animated some shit to appease people.

I liked the Hellboy movies for what they were. The books are, as you stated, way better and a very different direction for the character, as are the prose novels. As a fan I'm glad Mignola can allow his creation to be utilized so differently, but still be true.
    • June 2, 2010 2:29 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

True, I got film soreness as well. When Hellboy 1+2 came out I was like: You learned to turn gold into boring: Congrats! It was waaay off the mood of the source. Whatever. Hollywood sickness. The Comics still rule the ballpark though. But tell me more about that GOON movie! Hell, I didn't even know that was being made. I live in a cave these days. SCxMS said:
      I have to say, and not afraid to say it, that I can't wait for the movie. Usually I hate when stuff i love gets put out like that (I'm a snob) but this is truly going ot be amazing.
      IDON MINE said:
      THE GOON RULES!

SCxMS said:
      I'm a firm believer and proponant of The Goon by Eric Powell. This guys is the garage rock of comics.

Here for the stir

• June 2, 2010 10:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have to say, and not afraid to say it, that I can't wait for the movie. Usually I hate when stuff i love gets put out like that (I'm a snob) but this is truly going ot be amazing. IDON MINE said:
      THE GOON RULES!

SCxMS said:
      I'm a firm believer and proponant of The Goon by Eric Powell. This guys is the garage rock of comics.
    • June 2, 2010 2:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

THE GOON RULES! SCxMS said:

Here for the stir

• May 26, 2010 9:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 4, 2010 4:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm on the lookout again, there is some SWELL stuff out for the kid in all of us. I say but one thing: AFRODISIAC!

Here for the stir

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel