Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Reigning Sound in Land Rover Commercial?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 26, 2010 2:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Am I losing my mind but I think I saw a Land Rover commercial on CNN this morning which featured the Reigning Sound's "You Got Me Humming".  Has anyone else seen this or have the drugs taken their toll on me? 
    • April 7, 2010 10:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good question re: royalties. I would imagine both in varying percentiles. Rinjo Njori said:
      Loads of bands get a push from commercials. if they get paid then good for them, If Joe Strummer can validate selling "london calling" to Jaguar then all bets are off. So who do you think got the royalties Sam and Dave or Reigning Sound?
    • April 6, 2010 2:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Loads of bands get a push from commercials. if they get paid then good for them, If Joe Strummer can validate selling "london calling" to Jaguar then all bets are off. So who do you think got the royalties Sam and Dave or Reigning Sound?
    • April 6, 2010 2:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

See. That's what I believe. Young people who recognize great songs. The "get it for cheap" only makes it into the equation when it comes time to pitch it to the boss. BLACKCAT69 said:
      I can still hear"Like a Rock". Fuckin' hell!

I agree with the hook premise. I work in advertising too and we are looking for energy!

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Well, that could possibly be the final part of the process....but I have to believe that the seed that starts it all is some cool person who decided to go into advertising stating "People have got to hear this song! and it would work so well." Otherwise we'd still be hearing "Like A Rock" by Bob Seger.
    • April 6, 2010 11:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I can still hear"Like a Rock". Fuckin' hell! I agree with the hook premise. I work in advertising too and we are looking for energy! Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Well, that could possibly be the final part of the process....but I have to believe that the seed that starts it all is some cool person who decided to go into advertising stating "People have got to hear this song! and it would work so well." Otherwise we'd still be hearing "Like A Rock" by Bob Seger.
    • April 2, 2010 12:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• April 1, 2010 12:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I can understand that, but i feel like most of the time they're really just looking for a good hook. Hank's probably right when he said that it's ideal driving music and makes people wanna drive. And add on top of that, people working in advertising that have their finger on the pulse of cool music and figure, "we could get this for cheap!" All you've gotta do is sell it to your bosses, right? Feels like it's all a combination of everything. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      But wouldn't it make more sense to grab a band like the Shins(McDonalds) or Arcade Fire than The Reigning Sound or Flaming Sideburns? They are not big stars but those KEXP bands (college rock? alternative?) are much more popular.

No. I think what a friend told me is that there a lot more hip people working in advertising these days than there were in the 80s and 90s. Monktime got used in a Gatorade ad, and even though it was a studio group with female singers, All Kindsa Girls by the Real Kids was used, and when a team was assembled to find real songs about Chevorelets, Brand New Chevy by the Devil Dogs made it into the mix. I don't think it has anything to do with being able to pay somebody less money than a bigger star.

ryan said:
      A friend of mine and I were talking about this, and how a lot of it probably has to do with being able to pay small bands less - big stars mean big payouts.
    • March 30, 2010 5:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

But wouldn't it make more sense to grab a band like the Shins(McDonalds) or Arcade Fire than The Reigning Sound or Flaming Sideburns? They are not big stars but those KEXP bands (college rock? alternative?) are much more popular. No. I think what a friend told me is that there a lot more hip people working in advertising these days than there were in the 80s and 90s. Monktime got used in a Gatorade ad, and even though it was a studio group with female singers, All Kindsa Girls by the Real Kids was used, and when a team was assembled to find real songs about Chevorelets, Brand New Chevy by the Devil Dogs made it into the mix. I don't think it has anything to do with being able to pay somebody less money than a bigger star. ryan said:
      A friend of mine and I were talking about this, and how a lot of it probably has to do with being able to pay small bands less - big stars mean big payouts.
    • March 30, 2010 10:25 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 29, 2010 11:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah they were. Have Love Will Travel was used. Jamie said:
      Weren't The Sonics in a Land Rover commercial a while back? Someone at the land rover marketing department has good taste.
    • March 29, 2010 2:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Weren't The Sonics in a Land Rover commercial a while back? Someone at the land rover marketing department has good taste.
    • March 28, 2010 2:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I remember being totally shocked to find garage rock riffs being used in car commercials soon after the so-called garage revolution in 2002 and finding one of them to be Flaming Sideburns' "Street Survivor". I had no idea at the time who it was and thought it was just a studio group hired to imitate the Hives.
    • March 27, 2010 4:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You'll find familiar garage rock/surf songs in all sorts of major car commercials. I think I remember a similar discussion somewhere but not with the Reigning Sound... anyway... it's pretty ideal driving music and makes even those that don't listen to garage want to get in a car and drive.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel