Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: SONG LYRICS - NEED HELP!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • March 7, 2010 12:45 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok so typically if I want to do someones song I either have no trouble finding the lyrics, I make up the lyrics as I go, or I go back to a tool of my youth-play,pause,play,pause, until I write them down. But there are a couple songs that I want to do and have not much of an idea so maybe ya'll here can help.

The Oblivians-Christina
      The Mummies-Jezebel and Sooprize Package for Mr. Mineo

Tomorrow I try and play,pause,play,pause...

So see if you can help thanks ahead of time either way.

A Mean Mean Person
    • March 22, 2010 11:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I understand what you're saying because during the last year that my band was together, being from the Pacific Northwest, we somehow ended up playing a lot of Sonics songs, and I ended up being bored to tears. And I felt like I was cheating my audience by resorting to standards. Sure a lot of them cheered on but how long was that going to last. And no body in my band wanted to learn anything new. Sure, anybody can do what they want, but doesn't anyone want to be impressive anymore? The Mean Mean Men said:
      well...might be a good idea to just cover the songs you want to right?

I guess it's because I spent a living playing jazz but the idea of a cover is really, to me, just like a standard.

That's all.

Course, I understand the frustration of having to play the same "standard" over and over again.

Was I time I had to play "after you've gone" like 50 times in one night!

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      So how come no one ever asks for help to cover "Dinah Wants Religion" by the Fabs or "Bad Apple" by the Pilgrimage? It's always Jezabel or Bad Girl and other songs done to death. I'm also amazed that people want to cover songs by Greg Cartwright, Mick Collins, and Billy Childish when they haven't retired yet and are still our contemporaries.
    • March 22, 2010 9:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

well...might be a good idea to just cover the songs you want to right? I guess it's because I spent a living playing jazz but the idea of a cover is really, to me, just like a standard. That's all. Course, I understand the frustration of having to play the same "standard" over and over again. Was I time I had to play "after you've gone" like 50 times in one night! Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      So how come no one ever asks for help to cover "Dinah Wants Religion" by the Fabs or "Bad Apple" by the Pilgrimage? It's always Jezabel or Bad Girl and other songs done to death. I'm also amazed that people want to cover songs by Greg Cartwright, Mick Collins, and Billy Childish when they haven't retired yet and are still our contemporaries.
    • March 21, 2010 3:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 17, 2010 12:36 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's the version by Herman's Hermits since it wasn't included on that 8track thing
    • March 17, 2010 12:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Would have been nice if he'd actualy put these in chronological order.
    • March 16, 2010 11:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Even though it was first sung by Frankie Laine and a cover done by Gene Vincent, The Teddy Boys actually got their version from Herman's Hermits of all places. All that middle part like Like a Demon, that ain't in any of the rock and roll versions. kopper said:
      Wasn't "Jezebel" originally done by the Teddy Boys on the Garage Punk Unknowns (Crypt) comps?
    • March 10, 2010 10:36 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok, got to track 6 in that stream, and it's the Frankie Laine version from 1951.

The Mummies' version is #5.

And #7 is Thee Milkshakes!
    • March 10, 2010 10:19 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

gigiriva has twelve versions of "Jezebel" on his 8tracks page...http://8tracks.com/gigiriva/garage-standards-jezebel You have to play the stream to find out who the bands are, though... The first one is by Gene Vincent & His Blue Caps in 1956...may be the oldest in the stream. From Wikipedia: "'Jezebel' is a 1951 popular song written by Wayne Shanklin. It was recorded by Frankie Laine with the Norman Luboff Choir and Mitch Miller and his orchestra on April 4, 1951 and released by Columbia Records as catalog number 39367."
    • March 10, 2010 10:12 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I heard that comp I thought so, but after that, I found that it was played by Gene Vincent, too, so it's more old tune. I haven't checked out who played the original version though. kopper said:
      Wasn't "Jezebel" originally done by the Teddy Boys on the Garage Punk Unknowns (Crypt) comps?
    • March 9, 2010 11:07 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know kopper but I'm gonna look it up! kopper said:
    • March 9, 2010 11:03 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• March 8, 2010 10:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey thanks a lot for the help I'm gonna see if I can figure out the rest.
    • March 7, 2010 5:05 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not sure at all,but I wish this can help you at least. Lyrics I got a new got a new little girl and they call her Miss Christine well.... well she's got little wings like a baby and she's sweet like a candy doll well .... Chorus: I said Christine x2 Christina oh can't you hear me calling me your name ? I won't call you loud/around I'm just calling you nice and plain yeah she'd/she'll make a blind man dream I believe she'd/she'll make a lame man walk she'd/she'll make a deaf man hear I think she'd/she'll make a dumb man talk all right I said oh yeah x2 I'd rather have what she's got than to have all silver and gold her richest you know it can't be told Chorus all right let's go The Mean Mean Men said:
      Awesome-O bro!!!!!!!
      Thanks a bunch. Anyone else on the Oblivians song???? Cheers Dead Boy.
    • March 7, 2010 2:41 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Awesome-O bro!!!!!!!

Thanks a bunch.

Anyone else on the Oblivians song????

Cheers Dead Boy.
    • March 7, 2010 10:18 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here're the lyrics of both Mummies songs. "Jezebel" is a cover version. Jezebel If ever the devil was born, Without a pair of horns It was you, Jezebel, it was you. If ever an angel fell, Jezebel, It was you. Jezebel, it was you. If ever a pair of eyes, Promised paradise. Deceiving me, grieving me, Leavin' me blue. Jezebel, it was you. If ever the devil's plan, Was made to torment man, It was you, Jezebel, it was you. 'Twould be better I had I never known, A lover such as you. Forsaking dreams and all, For the siren call of your arms. Like a demon, love possessed me, You obsessed me constantly. What evil star is mine, That my fate's design, Should be Jezebel? If ever a pair of eyes, Promised paradise. Deceiving me, grieving me, Leavin' me blue. Jezebel, it was you. If ever the devil's plan, Was made to torment man, It was you, Night an' day, every way. Oh, Jezebel, Jezebel, Jezebel. Sooprize Package for Mr. Mineo I was walking with a friend of mine Doing nothing just a passin' time Got a notion that'll do you good Eat a pizza down in hollywood In the alley behind the laundromat Stab the motherfucker in the back! Marlon Brando & Jimmy Dean Stupid clowns didn't mean a thing I don't really care if he was gay, was he cuter than Doris Day With his shoes and his tailored slacks Stab the motherfucker in the back!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel