Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Garage Punk Movies

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 5, 2012 4:50 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Also , the insanely underrated Gale Garnett (Who did two fine sorta Lite Psych albums.)
       is also all over the "Mad Monster Party?" soundtrack. I never heard about an Animals connection to "The Sorcerers" , but , I'm going to look into that !

The Cats Eye said:

The Sorcerers 1967 with Boris Karloff.
      The club scenes are from a club called Blaises in Kensington and the band are said to be The Animals.
      Maybe someone could expand on that.Some great psychedelia from the psychedelic mind machine.

Mad Monster Party 1967 great puppets,score is garage psyche pop jazz.
      Will check out all the above.
      RIP R D S.
    • October 20, 2011 9:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"More American Grafitti" - Doug Sahm peforms a tuff version of "I'm a Man", and a musician is referred to as a "Member of The STRAWBERRY PRUNES!". Sahm also gets to take a joyride in the band's van , knocking over everything in his path , while "96 Tears " plays in the background. Also features the original Country Joe and The Fish , performing  "The "I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die" Rag" , of course , as though they never recorded anything else. It's cool , tho'.

Which movie was it that Doug Sahm appears in as Kris Kristofferson's perpetually wired buddy?

"Laaaawwwd , it's TOO MUCH , we gotta get our THANG together , man , it's gonna be a STONE GROOVE ! I CAN DIG IT ! " . HE BASICALLY PLAYS HIMSELF.  Was that "The Border "? Or , was that the one with SAM tHE SHAM ? sORRY , DRAWING A BLANK , HERE.

• October 20, 2011 9:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's "Angels From Hell" which I've never seen , featuring The Lollipop Shoppe. Fred Cole is not actually shown singing , I do know that . You SEE him when he's singing , but , he's not lipsynching to his own voice on the two songs of theirs , because the studio did not want to let him have a Screen Actor's Guild card for appearing as what he was , a Rock'n'Roll singer. If you were seen talking or singing in a movie , they were required to give you an S.A.G. card , which made you a professional Film Actor. I've been told it's since become easier to get one.
    • October 20, 2011 9:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've never even seen the DVD. I have a promo video that J. Michael McCarthy gave me at the time. But , I found one of those Horror Movie multi - monster movie box sets , with ''Sore Losers " on it. I was'nt even aware that "Sore Losers ' was on DVD. iT CAME OUT IN '97 (Or '96?), when everybody did'nt have a DVD player , and almost everything was still available on VHS . I did'nt have a DVD player for quite some time after that.  

Recordgrooves said:
      I'm impressed by the level of movies that you all have posted here!

The Sore Losers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0iphaXUp0

Damn, I just looked at Amazon, I didn't know this DVD was so rare.
    • October 6, 2011 3:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Frank N. (Or , Frank "Que") , Yes , "Ship of Monsters" is absolutely UNFUCKIN'SANE!!! But , I'VE NEVER HEARD OF A VERSION WITH ENGLIGH SUBTITLES , MUCH LESS DUBBED IN ENGLISH. THE COPIES I'VE SEEN TURN UP WERE MAYBE ABOUT A 6 OR 7 OUT OF 10 , BUT , LORENA VELAZQUEZ STARS IN IT , AND SHE'S ABOUT A 40 OUT OF 10. NONE OF THAT OTHER STUFF MATTERS , FOR NOW , IT'S THE ULTIMATE RANCHERO (SINGING COWBOY)SCI - FI , ROMANCE , MONSTER MUSICAL COMEDY OF ALL TIME. THE MONSTERS ALL TALK (EN ESPANOL , WITH HILARIOUS , DISTORTED VOICES), ONE LOOKS LIKE A HORSE SKELETON , RECOMPOSED AS A PUPPET ON WIRES. ONE IS A SPIDER STRAIGHT OFF THE ALICE COOPER SHOW , AND "CICLOPE" Y "MONSTRUO DE OTRO MUNDO - CON CEREBRO GRANDE" ARE IN S & BD mEET tHE mONSTERS.  If you like that , though , search for Paul Naschy's"Assignment Terror" (AKA Dracula VS. fRANKENSTEIN , but no relation to the Al Adamson Horror LSD Biker VEGAS SHOWGIRL(!!) Epic.) ....This one was a West GERMAN , iTALIAN AND sPANISH collaboration , which accounts for it's being so confusing in tone (Ala "Riot on Sunset Strip " , also handed from Director to Director. But it stars Michael Rennie as an Alien ( You could say "How the mighty have fallen" , but , this performance ,his last , is respectable.) who brings Dracula , The Wolfman , The Mummy and Frankenstein's Monster back to life , intending to clone them and conquer earth. The monsters , particularly The Mummy , look bad ass. Naschy played Frankenstein and The Wolfman. The monster never opens his eyes , but , otherwise ,its a pretty cool blatant ripoff of the copyrighted Universal makeup. A Golem was written into the original script , but , apparently , never used.
    • October 6, 2011 12:48 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Maaaaan, John, you is on Fiyah!

Ship of Monsters sounds really kool: I will chegg that out, f'sho.

I LOVE that "Franquestain" in Contra Los Monstruos and what a chauffuer, eh?

Kinda feel sorry for that poor decrepit Momia, too. The most unthreatening monster ever, methinks.

• October 6, 2011 12:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

FRANK N. , All those Mexican Lucha /Horror movies tend to have great soundtracks. The only part of "Contra Los Mostruos" (Meet TheMonsters) ' soundtrack that sticks to my head is that incredible organ instrumental at the beginning , where all the monsters are introduced , by name , along with Santo and Blue Demon.....It's Mexi - Twisted allright.   Frankenstein's monster is a guy with a Don Post monster mask with a Beatnik beard and Zapata moustache. The Wolfman looks kind of like Grady on "Sanford and Son" , with long , wavy hair.   "El Vampiro" is given more bat - like features and attributes , which JUST cross the borderline into silly . Plus , he and the Wolfman can move about in broad daylight , and Frankenstein drives a car ! The Mummy's just a guy in white guaze bandages, and "El Ciclope" (The Cyclops) , as well as the Alien with the exposed brain , is left over from the classic "SHIP OF MONSTERS"...NONE OF THESE REMARKS ARE INTENDED AS CRITICISMS. YOU MUST SEE THIS MOVIE , IF ONLY TO BELIEVE IT EXISTS.

"Acapulco Rock" is a great "Go Go" movie with lots of dancing , like "Ritmo A Go Go", but there are no bands seen in this movie , just lots of killer 60's Mexican R'n'R. The famous hit song "Acapulco Rock"by Freddie Fender (As Eddie Con Los Shades) does'nt appear in this film.

A somewhat later , more crime - oriented , Santo film , "El Mafia Vicio", opens with some great scenes of Santo drinking coctails , while beautiful bikini girls undulate sensuosly to "Los Ritmos" of a singer who appears to be vying for the title of Mexico's answer to Englebert Humperdink, all this , over incredibly gorgeous Acapulco landscape and the bluest Pacific Ocean you've ever seen , and won't likely see again.

Somehow , I've never seen "Tartu". Sad, is'nt it ?

One of a zillion remakes of "The Black Cat" , from England , mid - 60's , features a Rock Group , all wearing black eyepatches and looking like four Johnny Kidds (Who MAY have been alive , still , at the time.).

In "The London Rock'n'Roll Show" movie , Screaming Lord Sutch emerges from a coffin (Yes , I know he did'nt arrive at that idea , himself , but , I'll take him over Dino Lee ,and I got bamboozled into being one of HIS "Pallbearers" , once.), wearing a tin foil stovepipe hat , about two feet high , rubber monster gloves , and an ensemble  that conceded to the brand spankin' new Glam Rock craze ( As did The MC5 , and probably The Move , just before Roy Wood jumped ship , not to mention Gary Glitter's debut , none of which appear in the , otherwise excellent , film.). To cap it off , Sutch appears with his long hair dyed neon green , four years ahead of the Punks - Though a young band called The Sex Pistols debuted as his support band in late 1975 . He performs the classics "Til The Following Night" and "Jack The Ripper" (Performed as "Hands of Jack The Ripper" to coincide with the recent Hammer Films release , "Hands of The Ripper"). He calls Alice Cooper out for "Stealing his act" , and , instead , gets a comely Stripper lass who nearly loses her dress (A documentary on Sutch shows that she did , in fact ,get her kit off , at that.). Former Joe Meek Protege , Heinz ( Member of The Tornados and successful solo act in his own right.), sings a deranged "C'Mon Everybody " backed by a very young Dr.Feelgood. It sounds like Eater ! The Houseshakers , Gene Vincent's last great , steady band are seen briefly , with Graham Fenton (Later in Matchbox.) and Terry Gibson (Former and future Downliners Sect.) . Then you've got Bo Diddley , Jerry Lee Lewis , Bill Haley , Little Richard and Chuck Berry ( Also with Terry Gibson.), all turning in fine performances , though Mike Stax told me that Little Richard's set was poorly recieved by The Teds , because he was'nt wearing a baggy suit and a 6" pompadour. It was 1972 ! Chuck Berry had been dressing like a cheese for years !

So , his set was edited carefully to make it LOOK like he killed 'em. Man , just listen to the MUSIC. If he did'nt kill 'em , they were already dead. Mick Jagger's blase backstage commentary (Did he even watch any of the acts , I wonder?) , and Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis' point-counterpoint feud ( Which gets a bit ugly , but , without being reduced to racism (Though Richard calls CHUCK "A good Black BERRY !!!") nor redneck - bashing.) , all filmed in two different rooms , are all priceless. This should still be easy to find.

• October 5, 2011 8:10 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Two of the best I've seen which are decidedly Garagey and Monstery:

El Santo Contra Los Monstruos - Lucha wrestlers vs. The Classic Universal Monsters with a Mexi-twist + Some of the BEST surfy/garagey soundtrack music EVER.

Death Curse Of Tartu - A Shapeshifting Seminole Witch Doctor vs. Hot 60s Go- Go Chicks dancing to some of the Cheesiest schlock rock in the middle of a swamp: What's not to like about that?!?! 

Que Lastima!

• October 4, 2011 8:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ritmo y Amor (Mexico W/ lOS rOCKIN' dEVILS.) , Big Commotion (Japan , starring The Spiders), CAMISAS Y aLBORTADAS (That may be wrong , I'll look it up.) (Feat. 2 MUY Bonita lookalikes , Milli y Pilli ,even if their hair's dyed blonde , and a rare appearance by Los Yaki , whose singer resembles Dave Aguilar on crank , as they BLAZE (AS DAVE WOULD SAY.) THROUGH "Diabla Con Vestida Azul /La Plaga " (Devil With a Blue Dress on/Good Golly Miss Molly. La Plaga means "The Plague" , as per Los Teen Tops' hit version.) , Did no one mention "Psych-Out" withThe Seeds and The Strawberry Alarm Clock ? Maybe they did...."The Cool Ones" (W/The Leaves.) , The Pre - Punk Standells appeared in "Zebra in The Kitchen" and "Get Yourself a College Girl" , "iT'S A bIKINI wORLD" (CASTAWAYS , ANIMALS , SHOT AT the Haunted House nightclub!), "How To Stuff a Wild Bikini" (Kingsmen , Hondells.) , " The Young Animals" (The Orphan Egg. Pick up on 'em.) , "The President's Analyst" (Not "Garage" as such , but Clear Light are still the finest , nearly forgotten Late 60's band on Elektra.) , "Musical Mutiny" (Same thing. But , 3 Iron Butterfly tunes , plus the very talented , dreadfully named , Fantasy (Their album comes recommended , but they could have put 'em to better use , here....) .

John Battles said:
        OO ! OO ! "BLAST - OFF GIRLS " IS MY FAVORITE GARAGE ROCK'N'ROLL MOVIE , FRANCIS ! A MOVIE ABOUT A REAL GARAGE BAND IN REAL GARAGELAND ! THEY EVEN MEET COLONEL SANDERS , SCHNAUZER ! IF CAPTAIN BLOCK WERE HERE , I'D SAY "go %$#!!! yourself , my friend !". What ? He's standing right behind me ? OO ! OO ! I LOVE CAPTAIN BLOCK !!

Gunther Toody said:
      WILD GUITAR is probably my personal favorite, but these movies also have a very cool rock and roll attitude.

THE WORLD'S GREATEST SINNER
      THE BLAST OFF GIRLS
      JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT
      RAT PFINK A BOO BOO

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel