Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Rock Stardom for Dumbshits: A Reference for Losers!

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 22, 2010 10:31 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just started reading this and I thought I'd post the link to the book on Amazon.com. Get it! It's hilarious. Written by Mel Bergman (well, technically his entire band - The Phantom Surfers - contributed to it). Here's the description from the publisher's website:

Legendary garage surf goofs the Phantom Surfers have drawn upon 20 years of experience and observation to provide the inside dope on the dopes of the world of rock: sound people, managers, booking agents, record labels, other musicians, and every weasel, shark, and thieving magpie in the music industry menagerie. Although this is indeed a riotously funny work, it contains a great deal of truth and wisdom. Consider these true stories: We know of a young lady who received an advance copy of Rock Stardom for Dumbshits and immediately abandoned her futile hopes of achieving rock stardom. Today she is a doctor with a lakeside home and two lovely children. We know of a young man who was never exposed to the naked truths contained in this book and therefore kept slogging away in hopes of achieving stardom. Today he has a heroin habit and lives in a van that will soon be repossessed. Which do you want for the youth of America?

Click here to order!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• July 10, 2010 10:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Because there's no longer surface mail, it will have to go international air. The good news is that it will get there more quickly. An extra $7 should cover it.

Thanks!
    • July 10, 2010 4:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cool.. I've been looking for this book for a long time. On http://www.rudosandrubes.com it says that the shipping is free. I live in Sweden.. does that go for me aswell? If not - how much do I add to the total on paypal? Cheers
    • June 18, 2010 12:31 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hide in plain sight. The old Purloined Letter trick!
    • June 17, 2010 12:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, there you are! Repent Records/Rudos and Rubes Publishing said:
      I've been trying to get as many direct orders as possible before adding it to the other Rudos and Rubes books available there. It can be ordered at http://www.rudosand rubes.com.

It won't be at Borders, as my brief involvement with a distro that serves them and other chains ended with self-described "underground publishing icon" Vale of Re/Search (my description would be "outdated pseudo-underground scammer") pocketing all the book sales for acting as middle man. Trying to get into the mass-market/chain book outlets now seem to me as futile as the mass-market/chain music outlets; that's the way the cookie bounces!

And the cover shot is of Darin Raffaelli, who is always up for anything ridiculous.

Tim Moore said:
      Does anyone know where I can get this book? Amazon says its still unreleased, but it was supposed to be released 3/1/10???? Borders.com says its on back order.....
      What the F?!!!!!

• May 23, 2010 3:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been trying to get as many direct orders as possible before adding it to the other Rudos and Rubes books available there. It can be ordered at http://www.rudosand rubes.com. It won't be at Borders, as my brief involvement with a distro that serves them and other chains ended with self-described "underground publishing icon" Vale of Re/Search (my description would be "outdated pseudo-underground scammer") pocketing all the book sales for acting as middle man. Trying to get into the mass-market/chain book outlets now seem to me as futile as the mass-market/chain music outlets; that's the way the cookie bounces! And the cover shot is of Darin Raffaelli, who is always up for anything ridiculous. Tim Moore said:
      Does anyone know where I can get this book? Amazon says its still unreleased, but it was supposed to be released 3/1/10???? Borders.com says its on back order.....
      What the F?!!!!!
    • April 1, 2010 10:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HAW! Now that looks like a book I wanna read!

Here for the stir

• March 8, 2010 11:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What the F?!!!!!
    • January 22, 2010 8:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

it's amazing...
    • January 22, 2010 10:57 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Is that Mike with the guitar and plunger on the cover? Sectmaniac said:
      I think it was written primarily by Mike Lucas, but he said they all contributed. I agree. It's a FANTASTIC book and everyone should own a copy!!

• January 22, 2010 10:45 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think it was written primarily by Mike Lucas, but he said they all contributed. I agree. It's a FANTASTIC book and everyone should own a copy!!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel