Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Suggestions for New Year's Eve gig

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 30, 2009 10:37 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So I've been commissioned to dj a new years eve party by this old guy who owns like 5 bars in my town. I djed for him on halloween and he reeeeally liked all the garage music I played and wants more of the same. But its a private party for him and all his old ppl friends - and one thing I've learned as a dj is that ppl (especially old ppl) want to hear either familiar, danceable, or crappy music. I won't play crappy music - but what are some suggestions for some slightly aged hepcats from the 60s who want to party down? I've got a lot of stuff but any ideas might help. Mitch Ryder? Trashmen? And part of my condition of doing this was that I would NOT play the beatles. at all. ever.
    • December 31, 2009 9:47 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Excellent! Smash it up tonight! Jannell said:
      Ah man AWESOME suggestions guys. These are hitting the nails on the HEAD! Yeah Yeah Yeah!
    • December 30, 2009 8:43 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah man AWESOME suggestions guys. These are hitting the nails on the HEAD! Yeah Yeah Yeah!
    • December 30, 2009 2:07 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not even Beatles stuff like "I Saw Her Standing There", or their versions of stuff like "Slowdown", "Bad Boy" or "Long Tall Sally" (I really loved the comp ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC VOL. 1)? Seriously though, you also got some cool stuff by Paul Revere and the Raiders and the Kingsmen, and The Young Rascals are pretty cool, I think, at least in their first year's worth of material. I know this sounds like blasphamy but you could do a quick scan of Little Steven's playlists archives for suggestions. You don't have to be a member to look at the playlists, only just to listen to shows. He actually has some GOOD familiar tunes, not just your standard oldie moldies.

Hope that helps a little.
    • December 30, 2009 11:46 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I respect & endorse your conditions - gotta have standards. I’m pretty old (55) and still love some of the old stuff (but love the new stuff more to be honest).
      Trashmen would be great, followed up with the Cramps would be awesome – hopefully your client is a little bit adventurous. Mixing up the “eras” is always fun. I’d do some old Animals, Kinks & Stones with some good old Sex Pistols, Clash, Ramones & the Zeroes. And Devo’s “Satisfaction” is always good for a bridge to yesteryear. Here are some other bands whose stuff is still fun to hear – Standells, the Count Five, the Sonics, Nashville Teens, Moby Grape (just the rockin’ stuff), Syndicate of Sound, Yardbirds, Them, the Seeds, there’s more I’m sure but my old memory is fading fast . . .

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel