Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Garage punk photographer Bob Kondrak passes away

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 1, 2009 2:14 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm sad to report longtime punk photographer Bob Kondrak, contributor both to my old zine 10 Things and Horizontal Action, with a live portfolio going back to the late '70s punk scene, passed away Friday. I did an obit on my blog with photos if anyone is interested in reading more about Bob or checking out some of his photos....
    • January 18, 2010 6:03 PM CST
    • Untitled

This sucks! I found out about it from a friend on New Year's Day, but could find no info on-line because I only knew him as "Reggae Bob". I hung out with him on Sat mornings @ KCMU (before KEXPoop!) as part of the "Positive Vibrations" Reggae Show from 9 a.m. to noon there. I saw him every now and again and he would alway call me by my Air Name (Bill Cheeze) even though he knew my real name. He was just that kinda guy. I'll miss him.
      Thanks Dan, for all your posts around the web. It helped me figure things out!

Bye-Bye "Reggae Bob"!
    • December 5, 2009 12:20 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I hung with Bob on several occasions, back when he was photographing The Makers. He'd been to my place a few times too. Quite the character, and a great photographer.
      R.I.P.
    • December 3, 2009 3:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

How sad to lose punk photographers. Condolences to his friends and family.
    • December 2, 2009 8:19 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, never mind. I just saw someone had shared the link on Facebook. Here it is: http://10thingszine.blogspot.com/2009/12/in-mid-90s-right-when-my-old-zine-10.html kopper said:
      Aw, man. That sucks. I think I remember Bob mostly from the Bomp list of the late '90s, IIRC.

Dan, can you post the direct link to your blog article? I thought you meant your blog here on the Hideout but I checked your page and you haven't even made any blog posts, so I guess that's not it...

Thanks,
      kopper

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 2, 2009 8:15 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Aw, man. That sucks. I think I remember Bob mostly from the Bomp list of the late '90s, IIRC.

Dan, can you post the direct link to your blog article? I thought you meant your blog here on the Hideout but I checked your page and you haven't even made any blog posts, so I guess that's not it...

Thanks,
      kopper

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• December 2, 2009 7:16 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

An all around class guy
      RIP
      BOB KONDRACK
    • December 2, 2009 2:45 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That’s very sad news. He was a great music photographer/writer/fan and a very funny guy. His reviews and newsgroups posts were hilarious and would usually veer way off topic. I got to go over to his apartment once and see his great collection of music, zines and books. That photo he took of Joe Strummer was lying on his coffee table and my jaw dropped.
      I hope someone who knew him well puts together a proper obit because I think there’s a lot more to him than most people knew. He once told me he was a medic in Viet Nam. For some reason it really amazed me. It’s hard to think of him in that context. I’ll miss seeing him around.
    • December 2, 2009 12:21 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

His son Kuri is a DJ and will probably inherit it all. He plays all electronic music mainly, but at least should somewhat know the value of his record collection. The funeral is going to be on the 12th if anyone is interested in going, I'll post the details on my blog in a few days.
    • December 2, 2009 12:08 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this. I loved hanging out with him whenever I was at shows. He gave me a four track recorder but still haven't used it yet. He also had a ton of stuff. I hope someone worthy is getting it. Cuz it'd be sad to see his stuff disappear. And he was such a cool guy. I'm so sorry that he's gone.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel