Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Attention Podcasters: A Threat from the Patent Office?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 23, 2009 10:06 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A Twitter follower alerted me to this post by the Electronic Frontier Foundation about a company that'sbeen awarded a patent on podcasting. From the article: ... This patent could threaten the vibrant community of podcasters and millions of podcast listeners. We want to put a stop to it, but we need your help. The Volomedia patent covers "a method for providing episodic media." It's a ridiculously broad patent, covering something that many folks have been doing for many years. Worse, it could create a whole new layer of ongoing costs for podcasters and their listeners. Right now, just about anyone can create their own on-demand talk radio program, earning an audience on the strength of their ideas. But more costs and hassle means that podcasting could go the way of mainstream radio -- with only the big guys able to afford an audience. And we'd have a bogus patent to blame. In order to bust this patent, we are looking for additional "prior art" -- or evidence that the podcasting methods described in the patent were already in use before November 19, 2003. In particular, we're looking for written descriptions of methods that allow a user to download pre-programmed episodic media like audio files or video files from a remote publisher, with the download occurring after the user subscribes to the episodes, and with the user continuing to automatically receive new episodes. On Volomedia's Web site they say they filed for the patent Nov. 17, 2003 " almost a year before the start of podcasting," they say. "VoloMedia's intent is to continue to work collaboratively with key participants in the industry, leveraging its unique range of products to further grow and accelerate the market. " Has anyone here been at it since before November 2003? I'm not sure whether this actually is a threat to independent podcasters as the EFF seems to think, or not. But it probably is an issue worth watching.
    • November 27, 2009 3:37 PM CST
    • Untitled

I wonder if this will ever get to court? The BBC has been doing this sort of podcast for years from their websites, does this company really think they can mess with the BBC? and I wonder if the person who did the first ever serialised podcast will get involved? Can someone really do a historical patent application?
    • November 26, 2009 7:35 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

bingo! Michael Kaiser said:
      Welcome to Pirate Podcasting, baby!

Woo Hoo! I'm getting a boat directly.
    • November 24, 2009 10:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd forgotten that Adam Curry was a major podcast pioneer. In fact the first time I heard the term was on a radio interview with him, several years ago. Before then I'd just thought he was a mindless MTV pretty boy from the '80s, but he's pretty damn sharp. kopper said:
      Well, there's this:
      http://www.castwiki.com/index.php?title=History_of_Podcasting_by_Ad... I sent that link to the EFF. I hope it helps!
    • November 24, 2009 12:06 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yo Ho Ho! P9160283
    • November 23, 2009 11:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Welcome to Pirate Podcasting, baby! Woo Hoo! I'm getting a boat directly.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel