Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Seasonal favorites

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 21, 2009 5:35 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey everybody! Soon it's christmas time again. Love it or hate it, there's no time for bad tunes on christmas. Anybody thinking back about past christmas partys is cringing whent it comes to the music. But besides "Last Christmas" and highly polished radio crap there's also good stuff. Especially in the Garage/R'n'R/Insrumental genres. Most vinyl-lovers will know the legendary Norton Records holiday 45 series, a true delight in sound and image. If you like classic punk rock and unholy jokes then the "Christmas Album" by THE YOBS (aka THE BOYS) should offer you high class entertainment during snowy winter nights.

"Countdown On Christmas!" is a vinyl only compilation which was released in 2004 by (now defunct) german label Three Kings Records. My favorite on this one are the HIGHER ELEVATIONS, their powerpop sound with indie rock edge is incredible and made me buy their 2 full length albums. Here's the tracklist: Darlington - Merry Christmas The Peacocks - Why not wait 'til Christmas The Neanderthals - Christmas Dance Highschool Dropouts - I don't like Christmas The Higher Elevations - One Christmas Catalogue The Supersuckers - Call it Christmas Time Lulabelles - Rocking around a Christmas tree Colt 45 - Merry Christmas (I don't wanna fight tonight) Adam West - Christmas with the Devil Speedball Jr. - Rudolph's Secret Groovie Ghoulies - Christmas on Mars Cave 4 - Mexican Christmas Sutfin' Lungs - Frosty, the Snowman The Hi *Tops - Mitch and Donna Ray Collins' Hot Club - Feels like Santa

I guess my favorite christmas album is "In the Christmas Spirit" by BOOKER T & THE MG'S. Released in 1966 you get 12 christmas classic instrumentals, some of them played relaxed and slowly, some of them upbeat and funky, but all organ driven. This piece of vinyl will definitely get you in the mood for hanging out in front of the open fire or dance around the christmas tree.

So what's your favouite chrismas records???
    • December 17, 2009 6:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been peppering my December with Horny Holidays from Mojo Nixon & the Toadliquers. But I can't get over how much I love The Kinks' "Father Christmas" year after year. And it appears the Higher Elevations track mentioned above is a Captain Sensible cover, another favorite. Some Xmas comps in my collection include New Wave Xmas (Pogues, Pretenders, XTC, Wall of Voodoo), Punk Xmas (Greedies, Fear, Ramones, Ravers), Christmas Cocktails (Ventures, Dean Martin)... And the Yobs... White Christmas done reggae hahaha :P
    • December 16, 2009 3:44 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You people are getting all soft on me...Christmas is for pussies - j/k.
    • November 23, 2009 6:28 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I love the Phill Spektor Christmas album with Marshmallow World...and of course the Ramones Mery Xmas I don't want to fight tonite!
    • November 23, 2009 3:48 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There's a great James Brown christmas CD that compiles most of the x-mas tunes he did, "Santa's Got A Brand New Bag".

Also the Flying Bomb records "Surprise Package" CD compiling their x-mas 7 inchers is worth a listen.
    • November 22, 2009 2:57 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like Elvis' Christmas album and The Etiquette Records Christmas album by the Sonics, Wailers and Galaxies. I also like Sock it To Me Santa by Bob Seger and the Last Herd.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel