Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves The Lounge
  • Topic: Record Player Recommendations

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • October 19, 2009 10:43 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm buying a record player for the first time (yep), can anyone recommend some brands that are cheap but have good sound quality and won't destroy my records?

Thanks!
    • April 19, 2010 10:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check thrift stores! I got my Technics SL-1900 from good will for 15 bucks! Look for turntables that have replaceable needles, intact dust covers, strobe tuners, and don't buy anything with a plastic arm. Good luck!
    • April 19, 2010 10:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

No, don't get a Numark. They suck! I had two and could never get rid of the buzz... it was a grounding issue. I took them in to a shop to get repaired/rewired and nothing was ever resolved... but every fucking time I tried to DJ with them I had this irritating buzz under the music... pissed me off! Sold them, got the Technics and never had that issue again. Recordgrooves said:
      You might consider a digital Numark TTUSB from Musiciansfriend.com http://xrl.in/3qnz
      a nice little player that has good sound for the price, you can find deals on these if you want. (I know you'll know where to look) If you are patient, then you should hit up some garage (no pun) or estate sales. Most peeps will tell you that is where the gold is. Technics, Bang & Olufsen, Marantz, made some good stuff Teac, Sony, Pioneer made good things too, but look out for a player with too many features as they may cause more problems. Direct drives have some advantages but if you get a belt drive make sure you find a replacement belt as they become stretched or worn. Most importantly if you buy an older model make sure you buy a player with cartridge you can replace, as many models have a one piece plastic arm and are only capable of replacing a needle that are usually plastic. (not recommended) On another note.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• April 16, 2010 9:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think the cartridge is replaceable. Is that right? Could I just change the needle? Recordgrooves said:
      Jamie,

the needle on that thing is garbage, you could use it to listen to and album a couple of times, to sample an album or to convert it into a different format, but I wouldn't recommend playing a record on that thing over and over.

Yes, save for a player with a good cartridge/needle.

Best Wishes.
    • April 16, 2010 8:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Jamie,

the needle on that thing is garbage, you could use it to listen to and album a couple of times, to sample an album or to convert it into a different format, but I wouldn't recommend playing a record on that thing over and over.

Yes, save for a player with a good cartridge/needle.

Best Wishes.
    • April 16, 2010 6:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

So how do I ensure minimum record shredding on my hundred dollar Sony player from Best Buy. I got it for Christmas a couple years ago. Should I just save for a new one?
    • April 16, 2010 8:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I had a technics SL-1200 many many years ago. It was great.
      Also had a Radio Shack Realistic turntable with 78 rpm for my older records...
      they were both good and treated my records fine.
    • November 14, 2009 2:49 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You might consider a digital Numark TTUSB from Musiciansfriend.com http://xrl.in/3qnz a nice little player that has good sound for the price, you can find deals on these if you want. (I know you'll know where to look) If you are patient, then you should hit up some garage (no pun) or estate sales. Most peeps will tell you that is where the gold is. Technics, Bang & Olufsen, Marantz, made some good stuff Teac, Sony, Pioneer made good things too, but look out for a player with too many features as they may cause more problems. Direct drives have some advantages but if you get a belt drive make sure you find a replacement belt as they become stretched or worn. Most importantly if you buy an older model make sure you buy a player with cartridge you can replace, as many models have a one piece plastic arm and are only capable of replacing a needle that are usually plastic. (not recommended) On another note.
    • November 14, 2009 11:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'd say Crosleys are probably not the best idea.

Not sure how cheaply you can get a Technics these days but the one I'm still using cost just a hundred and something almost twenty years ago.
    • October 26, 2009 8:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

thanks! it sounds like technics is the best but they are out of my price range...i'll keep checking ebay for used ones...also, does anyone know anything about crosley? they're more affordable and pretty nice looking, but will they destroy my records?

i've read both good and bad reviews of that brand so i'm wondering if anyone here has used one and can give me some insight. thanks again
    • October 21, 2009 2:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gotta weigh in on the Technics SL-1200 myself. It's a tank! It'll last you forever. Worth the money to buy new, but watch eBay for great deals on used ones.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• October 21, 2009 1:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

my first was a roadstar dead cheap and plays good only like 50 quid
    • October 20, 2009 8:26 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have a Technics player that's lasted me nearly 20 years now. Don't remember exactly what it cost but it was probably somewhere between $100-150.
    • October 20, 2009 8:21 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Can't agree more that Technics are definitely the way to go if you can afford them. Stanton do a couple of pretty reasonable (if a little less classy) alternatives which would save you a small wedge but it’s worth splashing out if you can. SL-1200s will pretty much out-last anything else...

If you’re tempted to buy a vintage player (who could blame you? They’re oh-so pretty...) at least make damn sure you find out if you can change the needle otherwise you’ll only end up shredding your vinyl.

The irritating truth is that (as with anything slightly technological) you’re always best off committing to spend as much as you possibly can...
    • October 19, 2009 11:46 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I wouldn't recommend buying a cheap player. I think Technics' SL-1200 series are good, but actually a new model is expensive, so... Mine is SL-1200MK3D and is very good! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel