Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The Black Lips < The Almighty Defenders <=King Khan and BBQ Show

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 27, 2009 1:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

The Almighty Defenders
      Self-Titled
      Vice

Are the Almighty Defenders better than The Black Lips? Yes, by every stretch of the imagination. The Montreal defenders of the faith lend a tremendous amount of depth to the Lips hazy and flaky flower Punk. That said, the Lips contributions, in some ways, waters down King Khan and Sultan's synergy. Sure the latter can come up with a disaster like every other artist (see "Animal Party"), but the former puts there stamp on every song. King Khan's awesome rhythm guitar seems slower and less plucky (see KK&BBQS's "Fish Fight"). "Ghost With the Most" and "She Came Before Me" hold it together, but needs a little "kick in the pants" and never gets the kick. "Bow Down and Die" fares a little better because seems drenched in vocal feedback. "Cone Of Light" could define the album. Sultan's purposely faulty retro R N' B vocals gets better and better with every release. Listening to him bark out "By My Side" nearly a decade ago gave no indication as to how much he would grow as a front man. Similarly, the influence on "I'm Coming Home" feels like a Shrines song turned down a notch. Not because it's too loud, but rather because you can enjoy it much more at a lower volume. Right down to the Hendrix like guitar loop. The middle part of the album falls apart on so many levels. Somewhere "Jihad Blues" was a great idea, but ends up sounding like a bunch of alcohol and other chemicals in the depressant family were rearing their ugly heads at a New Orleans funeral procession. Even more depressing is "Death Cult Soup and Salad". If part of you was hoping for an update on the Mind Controls "Death Cult Shoot Out" you will be disappointed. Instead this is more like an alternate take on King Khan and BBQ's joke gone wrong, "Animal Party". Substitute animal noises for a combination of human grunts and groans. For someone who knows these three artists, every missed opportunity quickly find it's way back to the music. With a short run time though the bad seems longer and the good seems way too short. The uninitiated might describe them the way Spinner.com does, " (a) super group of sorts".
    • November 6, 2009 12:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just posted my review of the Defenders (and the new Heavy Trash). Basically I like the record more than you, but I do agree with the mathematics in your subject line.
    • September 27, 2009 4:18 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanx fer the LP streamin' tip, Rinjo!

After finally listenin' to the entire thing, I pretty much agree with ya... this got stuffed with too much filler (nothin' even close to the fun filler of "Animal Party", btw) ...would have been a killer EP tho...what I would have put on said EP (keepin' the gospel-meets-garagepunk sound in mind) :

"all my loving", "ghost with the most", "bow down & die", "cone of light", "over the horizon" & "she came before me"

...torn now as whether or not to plop down greenbacks fer this garage-gospel-ness when half the LP doesn't follow the formula (& kinda stinks)
    • September 27, 2009 2:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

WOW! I'd say "harsh" tho I ain't heard the album in it's entirety (just "Bow..." & "Cone..." I've had the pleasure of hearin' via the internets)...very curious to hear what others hopin' this super group would be the bees knees of gospel-garagepunk have to say. & fuck, I loved the "Animal Party" 7'' ...yeah it was dip-shit dumb, throw-away tunes, but that's what I dig sometimes...just party music with no pretense ...& I think there needs to be mo' animal sounds in songs...maybe I'm sick..... Grunt, grunt, Wipeout

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel