Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Regional Forums Continental U.S.
  • Topic: Chicago Record Stores

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 13, 2009 11:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I'm making a trip out to Chicago in the middle of October and was wondering if anyone had any record store recommendations. What places carry a solid collection of vinyl? I'd love to find places that carry older punk and garage stuff, as well as places that have 7"'s and the like from newer bands. Any thoughts?
    • September 24, 2009 9:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Isn't Gramaphone dance? there is :Laurie's Planet of Sound, in Lincoln Square. Vintage Vinyl in Evanston. David J. Hanus said:
      definitely Reckless and Dusty Grooves in Wicker Park/Bucktown. then, if you wanna go all out, hit up any of the half-dozen record shops scattered down Clark Street (ie Dave's, Gramaphone)
    • September 24, 2009 5:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

definitely Reckless and Dusty Grooves in Wicker Park/Bucktown. then, if you wanna go all out, hit up any of the half-dozen record shops scattered down Clark Street (ie Dave's, Gramaphone)
    • September 17, 2009 10:09 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Reckless Records... 2 locations. Dusty Grooves for great soul/jazz.
    • August 13, 2013 1:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

KStarke Records very close to the Empty Bottle (great bar/venue to live music).

• September 29, 2013 7:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Permanent Records is pretty well curated for a small shop.

• October 10, 2013 4:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , Gramaphone is more Dance - oriented. I doubt if they have a record with a guitar on it. Unless it's on a sample. HA HA.

Nowadays , Reckless is one of your best bets , tho' like anywhere else , it's a crapshoot. If you're willing to DIG , you should find some real cool surprises. They have a store on Milwaukee in Wicker Park , one on Broadway (near Belmont) , and one downtown , I want to say on Madison. The Milwaukee store is the largest , then Wicker Park , then Downtown.

Dusty Grooves , on Ashland , is a fine store. They're more into Soul and Jazz , but their Rock'n'Roll repertoirre has increased significantly in the last few years. It's walking distance from the Wicker Park Reckless. You can do some fine dining at Harold's Fried Chicken  ON mILWAUKEE ALONG THE WAY , or go to Pandanita (I'm probably spelling that wrong) for some bad - ass steam - grilled burritos and a Mexican Coca Cola. You can't miss it , the steam goes out into the street.

Dave's Records IS ALL vinyl. Again , it's a crap shoot , but , they get some cool new , used and reissue LPs and 45s.

Laurie's Planet of Sound , in Lincoln Square , is best recommended for their unreal selection of R'n'R AND pSYCHOTRONIC FILM DVDs , BUT , their Garage /Psych LP and CD selections contain stuff no one else seems to carry. Not even Reckless.

Shake Rattle'n'Read , at Broadway and Lawrence (almost) , above Al Capone's vaults in Uptown , carries tons of R'N'R books , magazines , records  and other cool shit. Owner Ric Addy was THERE , IN EARLY hIPPIE DAY hAIGHT aSHBURY , THE teen scene and Grande Ballroom in Detroit , and the Chicago Punk scene. PRE - HC. He will be more than happy to tell you about his adventures. Trust me.

Way the Hell South is Record Dugout. Near Midway Airport. Sometimes they have amazing  LPs and 45s , but , last time I was there , it was'nt so hot. Did I mention Chicago record stores are a crapshoot ?

ohhhh, Gawd. I forget our friend , Wilbur's store's name , it's in Logan Square....No , that's not it , I'm sorry , I'm sleep - deprived. Call Shangri - La vintage clothing , they can tell you where it is.    His prices are good . Wilbur is part of the old guard record store owners , along with Ric Addy and Joe at Groovin' High (Which is NEVER open , so , don't bother. Joe's a good guy , but he only seems to be open on Record Store Day.).

Logan Hardware - Recently reopened , just West of Fullerton and Western. Lots of vinyl and free pinball.

I CAN'T RECOMMEND K STARKE That HIGHLY , ONLY BECAUSE THE oWNER , who's a nice enough guy , only knows House Music , and nothing in his store is priced , so , if you bring something up , he WILL consult the eBay book. Granted , I have'nt been there in a long time , so , maybe he's getting hip to the fact that this policy is turning people off. BUT , if you go to a show at Empty Bottle , you might as well check it out.

Permanent is more hipster - oriented , but they sometimes get some cool Garage 45 reissues (Not as many as Lauries) , nice people , tho', and they have a CAT!

If your travels take you to Evanston , Squeezebox has a great supply of books , comics , DVDs and a small , but healthy , record selection. Lots of 45s.

DO NOT , I repeat , DO NOT patronize Vintage Vinyl , unless you want to get reamed . Their prices have always been ridiculous , even on new , domestic releases. He's got the goods , or he did , some 20 years ago , before I was barred , because the owner's paranoid ass accused me of stealing from him , when I'd paid his exhorbitant prices for some seven years. I know , too much information. Sorry.

• October 10, 2013 4:44 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah , Gramaphone is more Dance - oriented. I doubt if they have a record with a guitar on it. Unless it's on a sample. HA HA.

Nowadays , Reckless is one of your best bets , tho' like anywhere else , it's a crapshoot. If you're willing to DIG , you should find some real cool surprises. They have a store on Milwaukee in Wicker Park , one on Broadway (near Belmont) , and one downtown , I want to say on Madison. The Milwaukee store is the largest , then Wicker Park , then Downtown.

Dusty Grooves , on Ashland , is a fine store. They're more into Soul and Jazz , but their Rock'n'Roll repertoirre has increased significantly in the last few years. It's walking distance from the Wicker Park Reckless. You can do some fine dining at Harold's Fried Chicken  ON mILWAUKEE ALONG THE WAY , or go to Pandanita (I'm probably spelling that wrong) for some bad - ass steam - grilled burritos and a Mexican Coca Cola. You can't miss it , the steam goes out into the street.

Dave's Records IS ALL vinyl. Again , it's a crap shoot , but , they get some cool new , used and reissue LPs and 45s.

Laurie's Planet of Sound , in Lincoln Square , is best recommended for their unreal selection of R'n'R AND pSYCHOTRONIC FILM DVDs , BUT , their Garage /Psych LP and CD selections contain stuff no one else seems to carry. Not even Reckless.

Shake Rattle'n'Read , at Broadway and Lawrence (almost) , above Al Capone's vaults in Uptown , carries tons of R'N'R books , magazines , records  and other cool shit. Owner Ric Addy was THERE , IN EARLY hIPPIE DAY hAIGHT aSHBURY , THE teen scene and Grande Ballroom in Detroit , and the Chicago Punk scene. PRE - HC. He will be more than happy to tell you about his adventures. Trust me.

Way the Hell South is Record Dugout. Near Midway Airport. Sometimes they have amazing  LPs and 45s , but , last time I was there , it was'nt so hot. Did I mention Chicago record stores are a crapshoot ?

ohhhh, Gawd. I forget our friend , Wilbur's store's name , it's in Logan Square....No , that's not it , I'm sorry , I'm sleep - deprived. Call Shangri - La vintage clothing , they can tell you where it is.    His prices are good . Wilbur is part of the old guard record store owners , along with Ric Addy and Joe at Groovin' High (Which is NEVER open , so , don't bother. Joe's a good guy , but he only seems to be open on Record Store Day.).

Logan Hardware - Recently reopened , just West of Fullerton and Western. Lots of vinyl and free pinball.

I CAN'T RECOMMEND K STARKE That HIGHLY , ONLY BECAUSE THE oWNER , who's a nice enough guy , only knows House Music , and nothing in his store is priced , so , if you bring something up , he WILL consult the eBay book. Granted , I have'nt been there in a long time , so , maybe he's getting hip to the fact that this policy is turning people off. BUT , if you go to a show at Empty Bottle , you might as well check it out.

Permanent is more hipster - oriented , but they sometimes get some cool Garage 45 reissues (Not as many as Lauries) , nice people , tho', and they have a CAT!

If your travels take you to Evanston , Squeezebox has a great supply of books , comics , DVDs and a small , but healthy , record selection. Lots of 45s.

DO NOT , I repeat , DO NOT patronize Vintage Vinyl , unless you want to get reamed . Their prices have always been ridiculous , even on new , domestic releases. He's got the goods , or he did , some 20 years ago , before I was barred , because the owner's paranoid ass accused me of stealing from him , when I'd paid his exhorbitant prices for some seven years. I know , too much information. Sorry.

• October 10, 2013 4:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

.......Boy , all that work , and , now I realize I was responding to a message from 4 years ago. I hope it helps somebody , tho'.

Clark St. Is'nt really littered with record stores, tho'.  We used to call it "Record Row"- There is , as noted , a short walk from Reckless (And two defunct cubby hole used record stores - Billy Corgan worked at one. He was already a jerk , then.) is Gramophone and Dave's Records , and there used to be Hi Fi Records , Second Hand Tunes, and the main Chicago Tower Records (They had a store downtown , as well.).

• October 15, 2013 5:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

it did. thanks so much, John.

• October 15, 2013 4:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank YOU ,mUTE eLVIS. You probably remember the real glory days of Wax Trax (The STORE , not the more overrated than Sushi record label.) and early Reckless , Dr. Wax , Second Hand Tunes....I moved here in '87 , and could'nt believe the record stores !!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel