Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The craziest, most exciting live rock 'n' roll albums

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 21, 2013 12:27 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i LISTENED TO A COUPLE OF TRACKS ON YOU TUBE......HE WAS GREAT AT NAME - DROPPING.

"He Saw Screamin' Jay Hawkins and he jumped back in the alley !"

"I had to call Screamin' Jay Hawkins to the rescue!" AND " I saw Screamin' Jay Hawkins with Long Tall Sally in a coffin , she don't love me but she do it very often." YOW !

THIS SHIT ROCKS ! He was'nt the balls in a vice grip screamer Little Richard , Screamin' Jay Hawkins and James Brown were , BUT HE GETS THE HELL ON DOWN , ON THESE  TRACKS. Raw rock'n'roll!!!

Of course , later , Williams became a coke dealer , and threatened to kill Little Richard for failing to pay for some cocaine he bought from Williams . He said he fell asleep and forgot about it.     Better yet , he became a PIMP , and what's the difference between a Pimp and a piece of shit?     You can't think of anything , either, can you ? BUT , HE HIT ROCK BOTTOM BY MAKING "That Larry Williams " a DISCO record , only worth owning for the great photos of Larry and his esteemed peers.

• June 15, 2013 8:13 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOVE Larry Williams...must get that album!

John Battles said:

God , you know what ? I remember when I could have bought that as an import.....I did'nt , I was never a huge fan. Then, I learned , later , that it's a stone cold killer.....But I've never actually heard it.

Ben E said:

Has anybody heard Larry Williams' Live in '65 album? Sounds like it might be classic..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53nf4V824dM

• June 15, 2013 1:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

God , you know what ? I remember when I could have bought that as an import.....I did'nt , I was never a huge fan. Then, I learned , later , that it's a stone cold killer.....But I've never actually heard it.

Ben E said:

Has anybody heard Larry Williams' Live in '65 album? Sounds like it might be classic..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53nf4V824dM

• June 13, 2013 10:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I LIKE "Live at The Okeh Club" , but mainly for the stage raps . I just like the "Live Paris " Boot, because there's NO Soul sensibilities , NO SENSE OF CONTROL WHATSOEVER !!!!!

IT's arguably wilder than the original Specialty sides....

THE BAND (AMAZINGLY , THE WALKER BROS.' backing band , The Quotations. Not Status Quo , BTW.)  is Ramones - tuff , Ramones fast , and Richard is screamin' his big ol' HEAD off. iT WAS ABOUT TWO YEARS TOO LATE FOR ALAN FREED TO SAY IT , BUT....THIS...IS ROCK'N'ROLL !!!!!!!

Speaking of the TRUE Mr. Rock'n'Roll , if you liked those Blue Caps Freed sides (And who would'nt?), look for Gene Vincent and The Blue Caps "Big D archives". It's got some ace live stuff with The Blue Caps." Smell of Female" is my favorite official Cramps live product ,it's only an EP. tHERE'S NOT A DAMN THING WRONG WITH "Rockinreelininaucklandnewzealand" , BUT , SURE , i'D LIKE TO SEE SOME GOOD LIVE STUFF SEE A LEGIT RELEASE , OTHERWISE. The "Live CBGB '78" on Medicine is terriffic , but , it was a limited release....I'm hard - pressed to name my favorite bootleg . Probably Hot Club , Pittsburg , 1978 (?) , Voodoo Idols '81 (Only known live version of "Fever" and Lux's only reported flirtation with politics on a whackjob "She Said") , Live Club 81 , NY , 1979 , Live Tut's Chicago (Two'fer , on cassette only. The Chicago show is rare in that it had Julien Griensnatch onGuitar. The Club 81 show was recently released on a very nice 2 LP  set.), Indianapolis , 81 (?) - THE AUDIENCE IS REALLY INTO IT ON THIS ONE....HUMAN FLY - LISTED AS 1981 , WITH A FEW SONGS FROM THE SECOND LP , BUT IT STILL SOUNDS LIKE BRYAN GREGORY TO ME , I DUNNO......THE VENUE , ITALY. RARE "LOUIE LOUIE"AND "Hurricane Fighter Plane".

I like Slade Alive! , but , not as much as most people. So many covers. They were'nt out of that bag , yet , doing current cover songs....And they had'nt hit on Jane ,Crazee , Noize , ETC. There's some live CDs of 72 -3 shows that KILL !  

• June 13, 2013 1:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Little Richard at the Okeh club

it's alive Ramones

Smell of female Cramps

Slade live (the first one)

Bootleg with Gene Vincent and the Bluecaps doing Hound dog and Bebop alula Alan Freed show

• June 13, 2013 1:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

As I recall, that is "live" in the studio and produced by Kurt Bloch of the Fastbacks. The two live ones I know of are "Live at the Revolver" & "No Requests Tonight". "No Requests" is not nearly as clean sounding as the "Revolver" LP but much more raw and fun in my opinion, but I was at that one so I may be a bit biased.

Pete Sottrel said:

I've always loved The Devil Dogs' "Saturday Night Fever"; am I right in remembering that this is a live album, or was it just recorded "as live" in the studio?  It sounds live, and is totally thrilling.

• June 12, 2013 2:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah this is one of my favourites too!

Alison said:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mHy9%2B2nnL.jpg

• June 11, 2013 10:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i like that one , but, to me , personally , DTK is the shit. THE ORIGINAL BAND , WITH JERRY NOLAN (dUNNO MUCH ABOUT THIS TY STYX GUY , EXCEPT THAT HE PLAYED ON THE DEVIANTS' GREAT REUNION ep.) , IN THEIR PRIME , ON THE VERGE OF COLLAPSE , BAITING THE BRITISH AUDIENCE....THO' THE MAX'S LP HAD MORE 10 YEAR OLD - LEVEL SEX JOKES.....

• June 11, 2013 8:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm not a huge Only Ones fan , but I LIKE them , don't get me wrong....I have that Live at The Beeb , and another Live (As in , before an audience.) album , bu t, I don't play 'em that much. I don't even have "It's Alive" on CD , EXCEPT A COPY A FRIEND BURNED ME, WITH NO SONG SEPARATION.    I never thought "SAturday Night Fever" was recorded live, maybe live in the studio......

Pete Sottrel said:

I have to agree with The Ramones "It's Alive) being the one that just leaps into my head, first and foremost.  It has to be the vinyl version, though; on CD the way the tracks are separated takes away the breathtaking rush of the experience.

If you don't know how ace a band The Only Ones were, "The Only Ones Live At The BBC" will reveal all, especially album closer "Programme".

I've always loved The Devil Dogs' "Saturday Night Fever"; am I right in remembering that this is a live album, or was it just recorded "as live" in the studio?  It sounds live, and is totally thrilling.

Theatre of Hate's "He Who Dares Wins" is worth an honourable mention, especially as that album plus the exciting John Peel sessions that were being broadcast at around the same time were the only things you could hear by the band for a while before the (in my opinion) relatively disappointing Westworld album came out.  And getting hold of that live album in a Suffolk backwater in 1981 was not easy, which made it even more desirable.

• June 11, 2013 8:54 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeh , how could I forget Live at Leeds ? Crackling Noises OK , Do Not Correct.

That was probably the first example of packaging to make a legit release look like a boot (Barring all the inserts.). Come to think of it , some people might even say "The White Album", but the bootleg market did'nt really open wide until 69 - 70 , when The Stones started touring again and The Beatles were splitting up. 

Gringo Starr said:

These are truly awesome:

Pure Dynamite Live at the Royal Theater -James Brown

Kick Out The Jams -MC5

It's Alive - Ramones

How about:

Live at Leeds - The Who

How about some faked live records:

Seeds Raw and Alive (at Merlin's Music Box) - Ha ha! I know it's terrible but fun!

• June 11, 2013 8:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.........soooooooooooo good.

Alison said:

• June 11, 2013 8:47 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I just don't get it with Rollins , but he's almost always on the money if he makes a recommendation. "Love Power Peace" is probably only not as good as "Revolution of The Mind" because they were playing to a French audience , and not "Doing The Dozens " -  

" You're from LA GRANGE , BROTHER ? WELL , DON'T JUST LAY IN YOUR GRANGE , WHERE ARE YOU FROM?......WASSAT? YOU'RE FROM L.A.? I KNOW YOU'VE BEEN TO L.A., PROBABLY TOOK A GREYHOUND BUS , AND CAME BACK ON A SHAGGY DOG ! BUT WHERE ARE YOU FROM , MY BROTHER?!"    " L.A.  .... LOWER ALABAMA.".

Gus Ironside said:

I was going to mention Ritualism, too! As you say, it's a red hot album, quite incredible for a reformation. The first New Race album I got was The Second Wave (one of the Revenge ones, same taped  shows as were used for TFATL). MGT hadn't seen it and asked me to scan in the cover pics. Rob insisted on re-recording his vocals for The First and The Last, despite the original vocals being excellent, and Klondike added some guitar overdubs. 

Henry Rollins swears by Live At The Apollo vol 3 Revolution of the Mind as being JB on peak form.

John Battles said:

SURPRISINGLY , OUT OF THE 3 New Race Live Lps I KNOW OF (tHE OTHER TWO WERE ON REVENGE.), AND THE RADIO BIRDMAN bootlegs ("Eureka" would be the best if the sound was'nt for shit.), it's the "Ritualism" live reunion album (1996?) THAT REALLY DELIVERS THE GOODS . Not knocking the others , but , I was amazed how foaming -at - the - mouth PISSED they sound , almost 20 years after the fact.

James Brown's "Pure Dynamite" IS savage , but , what about the Mother of ALL live albums , "Live and Lowdown at The Apollo.". I'M ALSO A BIG FAN OF THE (VERY EARLY ) 70's JBs (Bootsey and Catfish Collins , Fred Wesley , etc.)live LPs "Revolution of The Mind" and " Love Power Peace".

OF COURSE ,"kICK oUT tHE JAMS" rates right up there. "BORDERLINE" AND "STARSHIP"still threaten to break the sound barrier....

Ramones - It's Alive (And it's a no - brainer.). Runner up - Cambridge Mass. 1976 (Bootleg).

Creation - Live, Mean Fiddler ('94?).

Electric Prunes - Stockholm '67 (AND THEY SAID IT WAS AN OFF NIGHT !!!!).

Roky Erickson - Casting The Runes , Halloween (Live With The Explosives).

Roky Erickson and The Nervebreakers , Live , DALLAS , 1979. 

Heartbreakers - D.T.K. Live at The Speakeasy.

Elvis - Live, Pearl Harbor Memorial Benefit , Hawaii , 1961. This is how it should have gone down. Elvis , flanked by Scotty Moore , D.J. Fonatana , The Jordanaires  , Hank Garland and even Boots Randolph , performing his best sides from the mid to late 50's , and even "That's All Right , Mama" and "Reconsider , Baby". He sounds confident and cocky as Hell , like he would return to the mainland and go from strength to strength as a live act. Instead , he was chained to a movie contract.

ROIR cassettes section - Dictators- "Fuck'em if They Can't Take a Joke", ? and The Mysterians- "The Dallas Tapes , The Arcadia Theatre , 1984 (Though I remember it being 1985...) , Johnny Thunders - "Stations of The Cross''.

• June 11, 2013 4:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This album's not too shabby. The drumming leaves a lot to the imagination but a great gig all the same!

• June 11, 2013 4:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

• June 11, 2013 9:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

These are truly awesome:

Pure Dynamite Live at the Royal Theater -James Brown

Kick Out The Jams -MC5

It's Alive - Ramones

How about:

Live at Leeds - The Who

How about some faked live records:

Seeds Raw and Alive (at Merlin's Music Box) - Ha ha! I know it's terrible but fun!

• June 11, 2013 3:56 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I have to agree with The Ramones "It's Alive) being the one that just leaps into my head, first and foremost.  It has to be the vinyl version, though; on CD the way the tracks are separated takes away the breathtaking rush of the experience.

If you don't know how ace a band The Only Ones were, "The Only Ones Live At The BBC" will reveal all, especially album closer "Programme".

Theatre of Hate's "He Who Dares Wins" is worth an honourable mention, especially as that album plus the exciting John Peel sessions that were being broadcast at around the same time were the only things you could hear by the band for a while before the (in my opinion) relatively disappointing Westworld album came out.  And getting hold of that live album in a Suffolk backwater in 1981 was not easy, which made it even more desirable.

• June 11, 2013 3:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was going to mention Ritualism, too! As you say, it's a red hot album, quite incredible for a reformation. The first New Race album I got was The Second Wave (one of the Revenge ones, same taped  shows as were used for TFATL). MGT hadn't seen it and asked me to scan in the cover pics. Rob insisted on re-recording his vocals for The First and The Last, despite the original vocals being excellent, and Klondike added some guitar overdubs. 

Henry Rollins swears by Live At The Apollo vol 3 Revolution of the Mind as being JB on peak form.

John Battles said:

SURPRISINGLY , OUT OF THE 3 New Race Live Lps I KNOW OF (tHE OTHER TWO WERE ON REVENGE.), AND THE RADIO BIRDMAN bootlegs ("Eureka" would be the best if the sound was'nt for shit.), it's the "Ritualism" live reunion album (1996?) THAT REALLY DELIVERS THE GOODS . Not knocking the others , but , I was amazed how foaming -at - the - mouth PISSED they sound , almost 20 years after the fact.

James Brown's "Pure Dynamite" IS savage , but , what about the Mother of ALL live albums , "Live and Lowdown at The Apollo.". I'M ALSO A BIG FAN OF THE (VERY EARLY ) 70's JBs (Bootsey and Catfish Collins , Fred Wesley , etc.)live LPs "Revolution of The Mind" and " Love Power Peace".

OF COURSE ,"kICK oUT tHE JAMS" rates right up there. "BORDERLINE" AND "STARSHIP"still threaten to break the sound barrier....

Ramones - It's Alive (And it's a no - brainer.). Runner up - Cambridge Mass. 1976 (Bootleg).

Elvis - Live, Pearl Harbor Memorial Benefit , Hawaii , 1961. This is how it should have gone down. Elvis , flanked by Scotty Moore , D.J. Fonatana , The Jordanaires  , Hank Garland and even Boots Randolph , performing his best sides from the mid to late 50's , and even "That's All Right , Mama" and "Reconsider , Baby". He sounds confident and cocky as Hell , like he would return to the mainland and go from strength to strength as a live act. Instead , he was chained to a movie contract.

ROIR cassettes section - Dictators- "Fuck'em if They Can't Take a Joke", ? and The Mysterians- "The Dallas Tapes , The Arcadia Theatre , 1984 (Though I remember it being 1985...) , Johnny Thunders - "Stations of The Cross''.

• June 10, 2013 8:35 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• June 10, 2013 7:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I always read that that was a tape taken of the audience at a Beach Boys show (AND PROBABLY A FEW YEARS EARLIER.). There's a bootleg of a Seeds club show from the same period ('68.) , with a lot of the same songs , and it KILLS.

Gus Ironside said:

Overdubbed it,  Ben...made it sound like they were at Shea Stadium!

Ben E said:

Hey Gus, yeah it's been too long since I listened to Kick Out the Jams! That Seed album sound interesting too - so did they invite an audience into the studio, or overdub crowd noise afterwards? I'll have to find that album anyway..

Gus Ironside said:

Totally agree re Jerry Lee Live at The Star Club as top of the pile!
      The first half of the MC5's Kick Out The Jams is great, high-energy stuff.

Raw and Alive at Merlin's Music Box by The Seeds is also great, but is "live in the studio", so not a genuine live concert album!

The First and the Last by The New Race is just fantastic- Ron Asheton and Dr Deniz Tek on guitar, Machine-Gun Thompson on the traps, Warwick Gilbert on bass and Rob Younger on vox- total high energy meltdown!

• June 10, 2013 3:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha! No, I think I'll stick with my album, thanks all the same! Bought it for £2.50 in Rockpile, Dundee (Scotland) circa '88. ;)

Jane Dear said:

Wanna trade?! ;)

Gus Ironside said:

Found it! It's called Live! 78!
      http://www.limbos.org/lyres/lyres-dmz.htm

• June 10, 2013 3:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

You're absolutely, positively right...the band sounds like a total piece of shit, and that is where its charm comes from:) If I had paid money to go see the Stooges that night, I'm sure I would have left feeling really pissed at how poorly they played, not to mention all the chaos that went on that night. It's about as wild and crazy as a live album can get.

Gus Ironside said:

Mikel, I know a lot of Stooges' fans dig Metallic KO (and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool damaged-for-life-by-Funhouse, card-carrying Stooges obsessive!), but for me the band are not at their best musically on that album- they're in a really bad way and I find the album very, very sad.  But having said that, it is a truly debauched, unique document and certainly qualifies as being wild and crazy! ;)

• June 10, 2013 3:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Mikel, I know a lot of Stooges' fans dig Metallic KO (and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool damaged-for-life-by-Funhouse, card-carrying Stooges obsessive!), but for me the band are not at their best musically on that album- they're in a really bad way and I find the album very, very sad.  But having said that, it is a truly debauched, unique document and certainly qualifies as being wild and crazy! ;)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel