Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Music Scenes Pre-1964

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 2, 2009 12:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

With the earlier discussion of Pre-Beatles 1964, I started wondering "which cities, counties, or states actually had a vibrant music scene prior to the Beatles coming to the states", therefore not needing them in any terms as an influence. We know that the Pacific Northwest had a ton of groups going on. I'm pretty sure Minneapolis had something going on and obviously Texas. Any idea what other locales had something going on that didn't cater to the Frankie and Bobby crowds? And I mean groups, not solo acts.
    • September 6, 2009 8:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Plattsburgh scene is best chronciled on Dionysus' "Heart So Cold! The North Country '60s Scene" and its follow-up, "Cry of Atlantis! The North Country Scene '58-'67 Volume 2"... Mike Brassard and the entire 1962 line-up of the Ravens have put out two albums, 45 years after breaking up... give a listen at www.myspace.com/miketheravensnow or listen to their original '62 material (free download too) at www.myspace.com/miketheravens Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I've only just begun to find out who Mike and the Ravens were and that whole Rollerland scene (that song is kick ass by the way). Not only is Mike Brassard promoting his new band of Ravens (or is it the same band but new material) but he's got a myspace page dedicated to the Ravens 1962. I remember that Untamed Youth did a cover of that on one of their albums but Deke Dickerson also put out a comp that tried showing scenes (especially Ohio) that existed before the Beatles.

I should have mentioned So. California as well. I'm standing in the corner doing my time out.

Thanks, any more scenes?

Bob Blackstone said:
      Ironically. I've heard they use to have rock n roll banaza's in Plattsburgh NY of all places. Mike and the Ravens held court there and released 3 good pre Beatles 45's (all collected on the Nevermore cd) and played live on a daily/weekly basis at Rollerland (I think it was called this) - with many other local groups.

Detroit had the Fugitives who eventually released an LP and some 45's but were around before the Beatles became popular. Plus you had guys like Gino Washington releasing some good rock n soul stuff.

Your right though, the Northwest had that impressive scene - Don and the Goodtimes, The Wailers, the mighty Sonics and so forth. This one requires some thought....
    • September 6, 2009 8:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The second Mike & The Ravens album, "No Place For Pretty," comes out this week... listen to a sneak preview at www.myspace.com/miketheravensnow... by the way, it is the entire 1962 line-up reformed... I don't know of any other pre-Beatles band with all original members (who also never recorded a cover) still together... debut album from 2008, "Noisy Boys! The Saxony Sessions," was named by "Billboard" senior editor and author of the hilarious "Stairway To Hell," Chuck Eddy, to his Top 100 Albums of 2008 list... not bad for old farts who hadn't touched an instrument in 40 years... Bob Blackstone said:
      Plattsburgh is all the way up by Canada...I think it's a good 6-7 hours from NYC. That's what makes the Mike and the Ravens story all the more remarkable. What about NYC or Texas??....Texas - Bobby Fuller/post Buddy Cricketts who released a couple of good LPs/Terry Noland - there's more artists too.

The Nightshadows (they were a Southern band) were around for a long time...probably late 50's/early 60's - the Garbage Man single came out a long time ago (early 60's).

Maybe not a scene but Stud Cole and Wade Curtis both came from and played around Buffalo NY.

Also, the New Orleans scene...early Dr. John and the groups he produced, played with or was a session man on... The Ends, Al Reed, Ronnie & the Delinquents, Sugar Boy Crawford, Bobby Hebb..among others.

I heard they are reissuing a fairly unknown band's only album, The Nomadds from 1965 in Oct/Nov 2009 (check it out here... http://82.148.208.55/beyondthebeatgeneration/nomadds.html - hopefully someone will find this enjoyable). I've heard that it's a pretty good LP all the way thru but not the fuzzy garage punk sound, more teenbeat stuff, about half covers/half originals...influenced by early Beatles and Gerry and the Pacemakers.

By the way, the new Mike and the Ravens stuff sounds pretty sharp. I don't own any of their new albums but I've heard some of the tunes and they sound mean, lean and occasionally fuzzy - aggressive stuff.

Jason
    • September 3, 2009 2:53 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know if they were part of the New Orleans scene but John Fred and his Playboy Band formed before the Beatles came to america. I know they played Louisiana.

I don't know about NYC. Too many people from that city keep saying that seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan inspired them to pick up a guitar. All I can think of are Folk singers, Doo wop groups and twist bands (like Joey Dee and and the Starliters). You mentioned Buffalo and even though you only mentioned Wade Curtis, he did lead a group, the Pacers. Never heard of Stud Cole but I just looked him up and he sounds like he'd be entertaining. His bio doesn't list him in a group though, just a solo act. Anybody else from Buffalo?

I've heard there were tons of bands from Texas but Bobby Fuller is the only one who comes to mind pre 1964.
    • September 3, 2009 2:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Plattsburgh is all the way up by Canada...I think it's a good 6-7 hours from NYC. That's what makes the Mike and the Ravens story all the more remarkable. What about NYC or Texas??....Texas - Bobby Fuller/post Buddy Cricketts who released a couple of good LPs/Terry Noland - there's more artists too. The Nightshadows (they were a Southern band) were around for a long time...probably late 50's/early 60's - the Garbage Man single came out a long time ago (early 60's). Maybe not a scene but Stud Cole and Wade Curtis both came from and played around Buffalo NY. Also, the New Orleans scene...early Dr. John and the groups he produced, played with or was a session man on... The Ends, Al Reed, Ronnie & the Delinquents, Sugar Boy Crawford, Bobby Hebb..among others. I heard they are reissuing a fairly unknown band's only album, The Nomadds from 1965 in Oct/Nov 2009 (check it out here... http://82.148.208.55/beyondthebeatgeneration/nomadds.html - hopefully someone will find this enjoyable). I've heard that it's a pretty good LP all the way thru but not the fuzzy garage punk sound, more teenbeat stuff, about half covers/half originals...influenced by early Beatles and Gerry and the Pacemakers. By the way, the new Mike and the Ravens stuff sounds pretty sharp. I don't own any of their new albums but I've heard some of the tunes and they sound mean, lean and occasionally fuzzy - aggressive stuff. Jason
    • September 2, 2009 11:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've only just begun to find out who Mike and the Ravens were and that whole Rollerland scene (that song is kick ass by the way). Not only is Mike Brassard promoting his new band of Ravens (or is it the same band but new material) but he's got a myspace page dedicated to the Ravens 1962. I remember that Untamed Youth did a cover of that on one of their albums but Deke Dickerson also put out a comp that tried showing scenes (especially Ohio) that existed before the Beatles. I should have mentioned So. California as well. I'm standing in the corner doing my time out. Thanks, any more scenes? Bob Blackstone said:
      Ironically. I've heard they use to have rock n roll banaza's in Plattsburgh NY of all places. Mike and the Ravens held court there and released 3 good pre Beatles 45's (all collected on the Nevermore cd) and played live on a daily/weekly basis at Rollerland (I think it was called this) - with many other local groups.

Detroit had the Fugitives who eventually released an LP and some 45's but were around before the Beatles became popular. Plus you had guys like Gino Washington releasing some good rock n soul stuff.

Your right though, the Northwest had that impressive scene - Don and the Goodtimes, The Wailers, the mighty Sonics and so forth. This one requires some thought....
    • September 2, 2009 3:27 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Detroit scene didn't really take off until the Beatles hit, but there were certainly a few noteworthy acts, including: - The Del Tinos (Cub Koda), - The Lourds (Ted Nugent) - Billy Lee & The Rivieras (Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels) Bob Blackstone said:
    • September 2, 2009 2:17 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 2, 2009 8:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Certainly the Southern California surf scene, with the Beach Boys, Challengers, Chantays, Surfaris, etc.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel