Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Bye George! (RIP George Wright of the Wright Sound Company!)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 25, 2009 3:00 PM CDT
    • Untitled

For those of you who know me, this is not always about Garage Music for me. It is about the people who helped create the Music via both Technology and Recording, as well as the gear used by those who performed the Music. Lately we have lost a couple of folks here in the Pacific Northwest who may not have been well known, but were instrumental in building and supporting the people who made History. I was lucky enough to meet several of these people and I am sad to see them go. I heard about my Friend George Wright's passing on Friday August 21st 2009, from our group of Technicians who own/maintain/repair vintage Ampex tape machines. I was asked to enter this group of people many years ago when George (via my Friend Alex) offered him an Ampex 350 1/4" 2 track tape machine for $600 (and unheard of price even then). I fronted Alex the money and expected to get paid back. Alex was always hard up for cash in those days, finally admitted he couldn't pay me back for my investment and so I paid George the Balance due after about 6 or 8 months and became the owner of a 1959 Ampex 350 All-Tube 1/4 inch 2 track tape machine. It was a Pandora's Box that was opened for my world. I did many recordings on that 350 for many years. George always helped me out. You see, he had built this particular Ampex 350 out of spare parts he had lying around. He built some solid state playback circuits to go with the Nortronics heads he put into the thing. He also build a wooden chassis for all of this (which I have since later replaced). All in all it was a fine machine to record to. I mixed down and/or recorded "Live to 2-track" the following records; West Section Line The Mystery Action 'Here's to Another Year" The Bastards of Jazz- "¡Bastardos!" The Stone Crazy Blues Band "Microstoned" Howlin' Houndog & The Infamous Loosers "Loud & Live" Felicia Loud's "Tribute to Lady Day" Beatnik Party- "The Bass Diaries" Ochestre Zirconia "Demo Session" I kinda think George's legacy continues in those recordings and all the work he did with the Wright-Sound Company. I wish I had gotten him more copies of recent projects for him to listen to. I think he woulda liked that. I know there was more to George than just keeping Old Technology running. He always took the time to answer my emails or (sometimes desperate!) phone calls. I met many of the folks I call my closest Friends through George. I especially owe my friend Alex a huge debt of Gratitude for him introducing me to George back in the mid 1990s. I only wish we had more time to spend with him (I know Alex got more time than I did) to learn a lot of what he had to offer. I will miss George Wright very much. All I can do is offer up what he wrote on his website about why he did what he did. I think it speaks volumes more than anyone could say. Bye George! Take Care! We'll miss Ya! Sincerely, Erik 4-A (Owner, Vagrant Records & Studio of Seattle Washington) From the Wright-Sound website; http://www.wright-sound.com/ George Wright said:
      A message from George about his early years Now I am going to talk about myself a little and some of the reasons I have always loved music and electronics. I always tell about being in the second grade, wandering around the school yard during lunch recess, going around the corner of a building and walking into the path of a baseball bat being swung full tilt. I explain that I received a frontal lobotomy with a Louisville Slugger and started to build radios. But in fact I was already involved with learning radio and electronics from before I can remember. At least I have a good excuse, then I will turn to the person I am talking to and ask, what’s your excuse! My first DIY project was out of a 1954 Mechanics Illustrated article on how to build a one transistor, one diode radio receiver, using a coil built on a toilet paper roll, I made this thing and it worked. I bought the parts at a little Radio TV repair shop just two blocks from my home. The owner a Don Wickersham saw my interest and taught me much about electronics. He must have felt sorry for me because he gave me the rest of the parts I needed to build this thing. After school I started to hang out at his shop, he had me first repair the old radios then onto TVs and then with the Electronic Organs. I learned a lot from him and sad to say he has passed on, but not before he had passed on much of his wisdom and knowledge. After building that first radio I made the statement that transistors will never replace the vacuum tubes as it did not have enough gain to pull in the stations I wanted to hear 80 some miles away. Next I built a bunch of one and two stage amplifiers using battery tubes because transistors were the rage and those tube sets were just being thrown away. By 1960 I was designing my own amplifiers and by 1961 my own receivers, I also studied a DeVry Electronics course, one of my dads friends had taken and brought all the study materials home. I really studied Color Television Broadcast, including the NTSC, Pal and Secam systems and at the age of 15, was the youngest Color TV repairman in history at that time, as far as I knew. I had to have someone older drive me to people’s homes to repair their TVs and they would ask me why doesn’t my father come and repair their sets. I would laugh and tell them he wasn’t my dad and they didn’t want them in their house because he would stay in the car drinking, then they would shut up and let me fix their sets. Ah, the good old days, of working over a hot soldering gun smelling soldering flux fumes drift up my nose! I worked at several shops and when I was a senior in high school I worked after school and weekends at TV repair shops and after that at a local Music store. I learned how to tune pianos, repair musical instruments and had built up my record collection as that is how I got paid in those days. So I appreciate what a music note sounds like and am very critical on how it is reproduced. Being as I was designing and building my own amplifiers, receivers and other electronic devices, I merged the two together to work as well as possible to design and build equipment that sounded as life like as modern electronics could produce. One area I am very picky on is power amplifiers, even though I am known for the phono preamps I build, and while I build different types of both single end, push pull and even OTL headphone amplifiers, my favorite type is always pure triode designs. This goes back to working with Don, going out to the churches to work on these older electronic organs such as the Wurlitzer and Hammond products, both with amplified mechanical tone generators and listening to those great push pull parallel 2A3 power amplifiers producing the lowest registers of the foot pedals and how good those old systems worked. Many of these still had the original 2A3’s in them and at that time some 30 years latter they still sounded great. That is why I built the AU-15 transformer coupled 2A3 push pull 15 watt power amplifier. Now the AU-15 is a great product, I took a pair of these to one of my California dealers to try out and at first they didn’t want to hear another tube amp as they had a lot on their floor. After a while they decided to hear them and they tried to put them to shame, they hooked them to a pair of large Magapans and turned them on. The wife was sitting in her office, walked out and said, “We will take them” and then she sat down and listened for a long while. The wife is the organist at her church and the husband is also a concert pianist. I myself could not believe how well they worked with those power hungry speakers, but they handled them very well. It is funny that they had the Maggie’s hooked up to some 100 watt SET tube amplifier would show off the system and the 15’s sounded much better. My new AU-70 is a power house of vacuum tube amplification, it is detailed, clean and dynamic. I only have five of these out there right now but I'm working on getting more of these into production. Everyone who has heard and bought these are amazed on how powerful and realistic these preform. So much for the sales part, back to the technical part, I spent my life working in the repair, design and quality control areas of electronics. I am a troubleshooter by nature and I do not like to repair what I design, so I am careful. My last day job was working in the IT depart of a school district on computers, audio and video systems design and repairs. Along with design of all the sound systems and cabling requirements of the new schools, auditoriums and stadiums I help save the district a lot of money by eliminating the sound consultants. Before that I worked for many years as a video camera technician along with camcorders and VCR’s for consumer and broadcast customers, but audio has been my passion. So I started Wright Sound Company after going with a friend to an audio club and hearing what was being presented as good vacuum tube equipment. I said I can do a lot better than that and that’s my story and I’m sticking to it! George Wright the third.
    • August 31, 2009 12:25 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Thanks! George was definitely a character. He was one of those folks who knew everyone back in the day here in the Pacific Northwest, but you never heard about him. He fixed most of the gear people used in the Studio (which recorded bands like the Wailers, the Sonics and many other Pac NW bands!) or knew the folks who did. He told me the Truth about a lot of people around here (instead of the Stories most told) A lot of History was lost when he died. This saddens me a lot. He shoulda wrote a book! Oh well, no one would believed the Truth anyway. Thanks for paying tribute to one of the many "Unknown Soldiers of the Music Business".
    • August 31, 2009 12:17 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Very nice tribute, sounds like a good man will be missed. Thanks for posting this

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel