Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Little Steven's Fuzztopia?!?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • September 4, 2009 3:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When it comes to Bruce I always enjoyed Nebraska, the earlier albums are good in a classic rock sorta way. I guess Little Steven's is what it is...I mean if your new to the genre or garage rock in general, you'll be exposed to the heavy hitters or common names...I've heard him play the Ramones, The Jam, The Music Machine, The Count Five, The Kingsmen, The White Stripes, Dirt Bombs, Cramps, Black Lips and so forth....but if you like the local stuff from the 60's or 70's (Bent Wind, Les Sinners, Contents Are, Rocket From The Tombs, Mirrors) or international artists like the Bintangs, the Outsiders, Los Brincos, The Savage Rose, Los Mockers, The Dogs (70's punk band) and so forth... good luck because he doesn't play anything that far out....it's more mainstream stuff for newbies. I guess it's good for a spring board or jumping point. I'm sure his forum will have somewhat of a cold, corporate feel and throw certain unworthy groups a bone or two but whatever...that's today's society.
    • September 4, 2009 2:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree with you on Springsteen. I love "Born to Run" and "Darkness on the Edge of Town," and his first two albums had some real gems, and "The River" was pretty good too, even though it was his first hint of becoming more commercial. "Born in the USA" was not a bad album, but it was definitely his sell out album for the 80s, back when greed became good. I have not been impressed with is new material. Then again, this happens to almost everyone, i.e. living on their past glories. sleazy said:

Now I have the confirmation I'm on the right website here when it comes to talking exquisite psych and garage. I'm really enjoying ALL the pretty much UNboased ops here by all of you. I assure you, you won't find this rather serene way of commenting on delicate things like psych music on any other music forum/board out there. Psych/garage is NOT for every human ear and brain and commenting on it and on whoever is fostering it (like LS) is a pretty good milestone :). Just one thing about the Boss......I dig his music but I prefer his earlier works and I even like Patti Scialfa a little more that hubby :):):)

KEEP ON:)
    • September 4, 2009 1:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Now I have the confirmation I'm on the right website here when it comes to talking exquisite psych and garage. I'm really enjoying ALL the pretty much UNboased ops here by all of you. I assure you, you won't find this rather serene way of commenting on delicate things like psych music on any other music forum/board out there. Psych/garage is NOT for every human ear and brain and commenting on it and on whoever is fostering it (like LS) is a pretty good milestone :). Just one thing about the Boss......I dig his music but I prefer his earlier works and I even like Patti Scialfa a little more that hubby :):):) KEEP ON:)

• September 4, 2009 7:38 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, one of the things I like about the UG is the way everything is packaged. I'll take a guess your friends prefer no frills garage rock, which I understand, but I like the way LS puts it all together.
    • September 3, 2009 4:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, I actually had a good time at those. Seeing the New York Dolls at one with the Chesterfield Kings. The Zombies at another (now they just tour as Argent and Blunstone), and the Romantics and Shadows of Knight. A lot of my friends thought it was over blown but I thought it was fun. MikeL said:

Are you talking about the Rolling Rock tours? I saw a show from each tour, and I had a great time at all of them. I'm glad you liked them too:)
    • September 3, 2009 4:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, Crown of Thorns. That whole situation really bothered me big time. They certainly had no reason being on the show. I don't think it would have been that hypocritical of a tribute to the Cramps. He could have just mentioned that they don't play this band enough and appoligized for it and brought on some "experts" like Miriam Linna to help out. I'm sure she has a record collection that isn't that much different than the one Lux and Ivy had (though probably not as big). Gas-House Gorilla said:
      Good points Rod. To be honest, I don’t listen to the syndicated show all that often, but I agree that a guest host is preferable to a recycled show. I also think there is a degree of truth in your “favoritism” comment. Who knows what goes on in selecting the bands he promotes, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t all honorable. While I feel that much of it is based on merit/preference (I do dig what I've heard from both Tinted Windows and Noisettes – and from the new Cheap Trick album for that matter, MikeL), there are certainly other factors with some of the selections. You mentioned one act that has always bothered me – Enuff Z’nuff. The only reason they get any airtime is due to a personal relationship with Little Steven, when they have no genuine business of being played at all. Another UG band that has gotten under my skin lately is Crown of Thorns. I believe there was an initial attempt by Little Steven to create a Hard Rock record label (which is fine by me), and Crown of Thorns was signed at the outset. Well, I guess there weren’t any other unsigned Hard Rock bands out there worthy of promoting, and the whole new label idea fell apart. So what happens now? Crown of Thorns gets over-played and over-promoted to the UG listeners. Anyway, in the overall scheme of things, these transgressions are slight enough to me, and forgivable.

Good point on Lux Interior’s passing as well. I actually find the Cramps underappreciated/underplayed on the station, so perhaps it would have been hypocritical to suddenly showcase them after Lux’s death. Nonetheless, a bit of a tribute would have been nice.
    • September 3, 2009 3:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, I did kind of say "Fuck Off" when I first started posting on this subject, but since everyone here has actually been pretty courteous, I'll take that back.

I've actually hung out with Michael a few times at various local venues. He can be charming at times, but he can really get under your skin too.

Jo Jo from the Charms told me that these "falling outs" happen all the time, but usually people kiss and make up in the end, although that sounds funny mentioning him since his band parted ways with LS. It's usually an ego problem on both sides, and I'm sure LS is just as full of himself as Gregg. They both like to think of themselves as martyrs to the cause. Plus just about everybody involved in this stuff has a bit of a Peter Pan complex, hence the immaturity mixes in with the egos like sodium and water.

I'm sure there are some other great pop bands out there. Currently, my favorite local band is Takeover UK, and I was hoping that they would get some airplay on the UG, but it look as though it's not going to happen. However, they are getting some airplay on AltNation, and maybe that's just as well, because I think they're a better fit for the channel.

I think it was the fifth or sixth show in which he first played the Cynics, then the following year he started playing the Paybacks and Gore Gore Girls when they were on Get Hip. He also played the Priests and High School Sweethearts just before Gregg ended up on his shitlist. I feel bad for the Priests, because they begged Gregg to sign them just so they could get played on the UG. A local band called the Breakup Society also signed to Get Hip for that same reason, but they never got any airplay either. Looks like it's a good thing that websites such as this exist, to play those bands that LS is either snubbing or ignoring. BTW, he may have deleted those names from the playlists, just out of spite, so maybe that's why you missed them.

Are you talking about the Rolling Rock tours? I saw a show from each tour, and I had a great time at all of them. I'm glad you liked them too:)
    • September 3, 2009 3:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I haven't talked to Michael in years except for a moment or two on myspace, but I leave him alone mostly. I don't like what he listens to for enjoyment (he really doesn't listen to bands that are like his). But I've learned my lesson about saying "how can you listen to that stuff". Man, people take it very seriously as if you have hurt their feelings.

But I don't understand all these things about "having a falling out" with people. Cavestomp is a perfect example. Not one mention of the Return of the Sonics at what was probably the most exciting Cavestomp in years since the Monks (of course I went to neither, but I heard great things) but because he can't get his own bands on the bills, he takes it as an insult and totally ignores them. Most people would think of it as "yeah, I understand. No hard feelings. if I can help in other way...."

Though it doesn't look good, like I said, I think playing the Wicked Cool groups is OK simply for the fact that they did come from other places before being on his roster.

Care Bears on Fire are ok. I even sent a friend request on myspace, but then I got a friend request from their OFFICIAL street team and it just is a little too much. I also think there are other pop groups that could use his support instead of Tinted Windows. I can't think of any at the moment but I'm sure there are.

I'm gonna have to take another looke at the playlists because I thought the Cynics didn't make it on until year two but I don't remember.

You have a lot of valid points and I appreciate the respectful way you've presented them and the fact that you didn't call everyone a bunch of jerks for having opposing views.

Hey, he has done a lot of good. He brought groups to the Northwest through his tours that wouldn't come otherwise and I personally like his shows with the circus atmosphere. I just wish he was a little bit more like he was a few years back.

And I listen to everything through his website since the syndicated show in on Saturday nights in our area a day before everywhere else.
    • September 3, 2009 3:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good points Rod. To be honest, I don’t listen to the syndicated show all that often, but I agree that a guest host is preferable to a recycled show. I also think there is a degree of truth in your “favoritism” comment. Who knows what goes on in selecting the bands he promotes, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t all honorable. While I feel that much of it is based on merit/preference (I do dig what I've heard from both Tinted Windows and Noisettes – and from the new Cheap Trick album for that matter, MikeL), there are certainly other factors with some of the selections. You mentioned one act that has always bothered me – Enuff Z’nuff. The only reason they get any airtime is due to a personal relationship with Little Steven, when they have no genuine business of being played at all. Another UG band that has gotten under my skin lately is Crown of Thorns. I believe there was an initial attempt by Little Steven to create a Hard Rock record label (which is fine by me), and Crown of Thorns was signed at the outset. Well, I guess there weren’t any other unsigned Hard Rock bands out there worthy of promoting, and the whole new label idea fell apart. So what happens now? Crown of Thorns gets over-played and over-promoted to the UG listeners. Anyway, in the overall scheme of things, these transgressions are slight enough to me, and forgivable.

Good point on Lux Interior’s passing as well. I actually find the Cramps underappreciated/underplayed on the station, so perhaps it would have been hypocritical to suddenly showcase them after Lux’s death. Nonetheless, a bit of a tribute would have been nice.
    • September 3, 2009 9:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Rod, don't pull my string, man. hahaha Keep the words comin' I wanna read on about what you guys have to say! Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      And I do wish that some of the others on here who say they don't like him give a good reason why instead of just saying they don't like him...

Here for the stir

• September 3, 2009 8:09 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, I can see more clearly where you're coming from. Somebody else brought up that point about him playing bands that are signed to his label on his radio program, and I'll admit that it does look kind of monopolistic, not to mention slightly incestuous. However, I really like the Chesterfield Kings and the Cocktail Slippers, along with the Maggots and Chevelles, so I'm not complaining. And I'm sure there's favoritism involved, although that is just a cold, hard fact of life. I'm not too keen on the new material by Springsteen and Cheap Trick (Although I do love it when he plays classic Cheap Trick and the more obscure songs by Springsteen), but I also know he has a vested interest in promoting Springsteen's new albums. This is just my personal opinion, but I do like those songs by the Care Bears on Fire, Tinted Windows and the Noisettes. I especially like that song by the Noisettes because it is a great pop tune with a hint of Phil Spector and Motown. It reminds me a lot of "Pull Shapes" by the Pipettes, which was another song that I loved. You have to understand that I'm a total sucker for great pop tunes. As for the Care Bears on Fire, "Everybody Else" is not a great song, and it sure isn't all that original, but it gives me hope to see kids making some noise. As for "Tinted Windows," I do like that song "KInd of a Girl," again because it is a good pop tune. As far as him being dismissive when you disagree with him, well, again, that can be said about a lot of people. Have you ever had a conversation with Michael Kastelic? I like Michael, but he can be a real dick sometimes when you bring up something he disagrees with. Keep in mind that nowadays I mostly listen to the Sirius channel. I stopped listening to the syndicated show because I just can't seem to stay awake for it anymore. I could do that before I got Sirius, but now that I can listen to the UG anytime I want, I'm not so compulsive about the syndicated show. I'm still pleased with the Sirius channel, so that's why I don't have a problem with LS. BTW, he did play the Cynics a lot in the early days of the show (along with other Get Hip bands), before him and Gregg had their falling out. You can see it in the playlists. And even thought Jet is not a garage band, I still like them, and I think "Get Born" is a masterpiece. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      Ah, don't get me wrong. I do enjoy his show on occasion (not this past year though and I'll get to that) and I do applaud him for helping bring rock and roll back to the forfront the best he can. It's only the first year and this past year that I have found really disappointing. Good Points:He's playing songs that have been slowly become endangered due to the disappearence of oldies radio and the really good ones at that. Before his show, I hadn't heard Talk Talk or Psychotic Reaction on free radio over the airwaves in close to 15 years. I even called one time to request one of those songs and they claimed they didn't have it. I asked them why not, and they claimed that they were too harsh for their station. What? Anyway, he also plays old songs that never made it to the radio (at least in the States) such as Midnight To Six Man or I Can Only Give You Everything. What else....He made the Ramones, Iggy Pop (and Stooges), MC5, New York Dolls, Sex Pistols, Dead Boys, early Clash, Damned legitimate acts. In that I mean, they are no longer just part of the KROQ ghetto. Sure, a lot more meatheads now know who they are, but in the long run, just taking the time to promote their existence means a lot. And maybe the bad qualities are out numbered by the good but that first year was horrid compared to others, simply for the fact that he didn't take the time to present a well rounded history of what came before for the last 20 years prior to his show. It would have been nice to hear Voxx bands during the first year instead of Enuff Z'nuff or Cotton Mather. And I don't like the fact they he says he'd rather promote bands instead of singer songwriters, but then why does he have Graham Parker (or something similar). Well at least his choices are better than what the stations usually play when he's show is not on. As for this year, he should have let some of his Sirius Hosts guest host for the national show and present some fresh shows while he's been on tour instead of just repeating past themes with only "Coolest Song In the World This Week" be the only new feature (plus incorporating other new songs into the shows taking place of last year's new songs). And the new bands he's been promoting thIs past few months almost stink of favoritism. I won't say payola because that's probably not true at all, and I don't mean bands on Wicked Cool, either (even though that REALLY doesn't look good). No, I mean promoting his BOSS's band, Cheap Trick, Green Day, and others who don't need his help, plus some of the weak choices pitched his way, such as this Care Bears on Fire, or Tinted Windows (with a Samshing Pumkin and a Hanson Brother no less. The Noisettes really aren't that good either. Last year and earlier this year, he had bands like the Urges, Satteliters, Thee Exciters, some others I can't recall at the moment on his show and I feel those are the bands that truly deserve his help, and he actually did a lot more of that during 2004-2007 but it's slowly drifting back to what his first year was like. And that's why I feel it's a half ass job these days. I also think it's a big slap in the face of garage rock that he didn't take the time to mention the passing of Lux Interior. He did just as much and probably more to promote the gospel of garage rock. He deserved a tribute.

You are right though. He should be commended for giving this genre a chance to be heard and giving rock a good shot in the arm that it deserves.

And I do wish that some of the others on here who say they don't like him give a good reason why instead of just saying they don't like him or what he appears to be ( a corporate fraud? Maybe. I don't think so. He's gotta pay the bills but I wish he wouldn't do it promoting the new U-2 album or Elvis Costello).
    • September 2, 2009 11:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I mentioned Jet, I was basically referring to his first two years or so when it was more likely that they or the Strokes, or the Vines, or Kings of Leon were going to get played and it was more as just an example. Steven's gotton better at getting bands like the Dirtbombs and the Cynics on the show but it seems like it took a while. I've never met him but some of my non musician friends have (one friend got to meet him backstage at the Sonics show in Seattle) and they all have mentioned that he's a nice guy. I just get the feeling that if you disagree with him to his face, instead of taking your comments into consideration, he's just going to dismiss you and not be kind about it. Gas-House Gorilla said:
      I know that I personally hear the Dirtbombs on the station far more often than the likes of Jet. Plus he does have a (non-original) member of the Dirtbombs on staff as a host. I have also heard him (and others on his station) promote the garage labels you mentioned, along with Sundazed, Bomp, Norton and others, as well as tipping his cap (do-rag?) to Greg Shaw, Lenny Kaye, etc.

As for the personal anecdotes you mentioned, I have no reason not to believe you. Maybe the guy is an asshole. I fortunately don’t have such first hand experience, but I can see how that would sour you. I’m sure there are others here with more authority, as I know some members are on his record label (although hence, wouldn’t be likely to say anything disparaging – but other with personal knowledge might).

Perhaps as you mentioned, everything else is better by comparison. I don’t necessarily agree, but I do greatly appreciate all the other garage outlets available to me. Unfortunately there is nobody else out there with the stature/visibility of Little Steven promoting this great music. Once there is, I will applaud their efforts as well. Also, I believe you said earlier that you listen to the show’s archives, so you must enjoy them to some degree?

Anyway, I again appreciate your thoughts, and you make some constructive points.
    • September 2, 2009 11:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah, don't get me wrong. I do enjoy his show on occasion (not this past year though and I'll get to that) and I do applaud him for helping bring rock and roll back to the forfront the best he can. It's only the first year and this past year that I have found really disappointing. Good Points:He's playing songs that have been slowly become endangered due to the disappearence of oldies radio and the really good ones at that. Before his show, I hadn't heard Talk Talk or Psychotic Reaction on free radio over the airwaves in close to 15 years. I even called one time to request one of those songs and they claimed they didn't have it. I asked them why not, and they claimed that they were too harsh for their station. What? Anyway, he also plays old songs that never made it to the radio (at least in the States) such as Midnight To Six Man or I Can Only Give You Everything. What else....He made the Ramones, Iggy Pop (and Stooges), MC5, New York Dolls, Sex Pistols, Dead Boys, early Clash, Damned legitimate acts. In that I mean, they are no longer just part of the KROQ ghetto. Sure, a lot more meatheads now know who they are, but in the long run, just taking the time to promote their existence means a lot. And maybe the bad qualities are out numbered by the good but that first year was horrid compared to others, simply for the fact that he didn't take the time to present a well rounded history of what came before for the last 20 years prior to his show. It would have been nice to hear Voxx bands during the first year instead of Enuff Z'nuff or Cotton Mather. And I don't like the fact they he says he'd rather promote bands instead of singer songwriters, but then why does he have Graham Parker (or something similar). Well at least his choices are better than what the stations usually play when he's show is not on. As for this year, he should have let some of his Sirius Hosts guest host for the national show and present some fresh shows while he's been on tour instead of just repeating past themes with only "Coolest Song In the World This Week" be the only new feature (plus incorporating other new songs into the shows taking place of last year's new songs). And the new bands he's been promoting thIs past few months almost stink of favoritism. I won't say payola because that's probably not true at all, and I don't mean bands on Wicked Cool, either (even though that REALLY doesn't look good). No, I mean promoting his BOSS's band, Cheap Trick, Green Day, and others who don't need his help, plus some of the weak choices pitched his way, such as this Care Bears on Fire, or Tinted Windows (with a Samshing Pumkin and a Hanson Brother no less. The Noisettes really aren't that good either. Last year and earlier this year, he had bands like the Urges, Satteliters, Thee Exciters, some others I can't recall at the moment on his show and I feel those are the bands that truly deserve his help, and he actually did a lot more of that during 2004-2007 but it's slowly drifting back to what his first year was like. And that's why I feel it's a half ass job these days. I also think it's a big slap in the face of garage rock that he didn't take the time to mention the passing of Lux Interior. He did just as much and probably more to promote the gospel of garage rock. He deserved a tribute.

You are right though. He should be commended for giving this genre a chance to be heard and giving rock a good shot in the arm that it deserves.

And I do wish that some of the others on here who say they don't like him give a good reason why instead of just saying they don't like him or what he appears to be ( a corporate fraud? Maybe. I don't think so. He's gotta pay the bills but I wish he wouldn't do it promoting the new U-2 album or Elvis Costello).
    • September 2, 2009 10:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BTW, Rod, some other things I want to bring up... As for Little Steven's accessibility, keep in mind that he is a celebrity who runs his own business, which oftentimes means he really is busy and unable to always meet with people. And keep in mind that some of those people who wanted to meet him may have had an inflated sense of entitlement. This happens a lot when people want to meet their favorite celebrities, and I've heard stories like this before. And if any of those people who wanted to meet him were in bands, well, I'll take a guess there may have been some ego involved as well. I'm talking about the kind of bands who think they're the greatest thing to happen to garage rock, then they're pissed because LS doesn't like them. I know a lot of musicians, so I know what I'm talking about. BTW, I've met him a couple of times myself, and he was nice enough to me. No, we didn't get to sit down and talk, or to hang out, but it was good enough for me. Also, keep this in mind...LS did not have to start his own radio show. He could have just taken the money he made from "The Sopranos" and the E Street Band and kept it for himself. However, he decided to use both his money and his celebrity capital to start the Underground Garage, and he admits that he's lost a lot of money from doing all of this. As far as I'm concerned, he deserves a lot of respect for his efforts. Maybe he's not as well versed in garage rock as the people at this site, but then again maybe that's because he does have other interests, which I think is a good thing. If you don't like what he does, fine. I still enjoy the UG, and that's all that matters to me. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      It's mostly because he goes about promoting music in a half ass fashion and he is too proud to rely on a network of people who actually have knowledge of the genre like Tim Gassen, Mike Stax, Suzie Shaw. Hell, Little Steven even admited that Bruce Springsteen is the one who brought the Hives to his attention. If he actually read Gearhead, he would have heard of the Hives before his first episode ever aired. He dismisses a lot of what has happened for the scene like the actual documenters who took the time to write down or photograph the history. Believe me, I've heard a lot of people who were about to be introduced to him, or actually the staff wanted Steven to meet them, and he says "I don't have time, I got more important things to do". That's not cool. And I said before that the first year didn't have very much in the line of Voxx, Dionysus, Get Hip, or Estrus on the show when things were kind of slim in terms of new releases. And even with the new releases, he's hurry up and promote Jet before he'd mention the Dirt Bombs. I don't think the Reigning Sound got mentioned until after they toured with the Hives. His staff really doesn't do a lot of research either. He'll go on the show admitting that details are "vague" on the newest band he's promoting as the "Coolest Song in the World this week". It's just makes everything else look better by comparison, (which it is) but really doesn't help the scene as a whole.

Gas-House Gorilla said:
      I just don’t understand the compulsion by some to blast Little Steven around here. Perhaps it’s human nature to cast aspersions at our neighbors? Hell, I recently read a comment from a Hound blog reader taking a shot at the GaragePunk Hideout. That’s the way it goes I suppose. It’s just beyond me. As Sleazy pointed out, Little Steven is about the only guy out in the corporate world promoting good music. Shouldn’t we be criticizing everybody else instead? Key to me is his Sirius station, where thankfully I can get in my car anytime and be assured of hearing quality music on my radio (and hear a great collection of hosts - Handsome Dick Manitoba, Mighty Manfred, Andrew Loog Oldham, etc). Perhaps the music doesn’t all fit into a narrow definition of “garage”, or perhaps you’re not as likely to hear an obscurity as you are with the GP podcasts (although, you’ll certainly hear some gems on Bill Kelly’s show), but that doesn’t make the music played any less great. Just count me in as a fan of anybody promoting good music. There are so few out there.
    • September 2, 2009 8:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, Rod, in the end, all I really care about is the music, and Little Steven has turned me onto a lot of great bands that I probably would have never discovered. That includes bands that aren't "garagey" at all, but I still liked them. As far as the way he runs his business or deals with the bands, I'll just leave that up to him. I've heard the same stories about other people who run labels, i.e. they're assholes or they're unsupportive, so why is LS any worse? Besides, I just prefer to stay away from all of that bullshit Spinal Tap drama that goes on behind the scenes, and I think you should do the same, because nothing good comes out of it. And another thing...while I like garage rock, I'm not as obsessive-compulsive about it like you are, so that's another reason why I don't have a problem with LS. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      It's mostly because he goes about promoting music in a half ass fashion and he is too proud to rely on a network of people who actually have knowledge of the genre like Tim Gassen, Mike Stax, Suzie Shaw. Hell, Little Steven even admited that Bruce Springsteen is the one who brought the Hives to his attention. If he actually read Gearhead, he would have heard of the Hives before his first episode ever aired. He dismisses a lot of what has happened for the scene like the actual documenters who took the time to write down or photograph the history. Believe me, I've heard a lot of people who were about to be introduced to him, or actually the staff wanted Steven to meet them, and he says "I don't have time, I got more important things to do". That's not cool. And I said before that the first year didn't have very much in the line of Voxx, Dionysus, Get Hip, or Estrus on the show when things were kind of slim in terms of new releases. And even with the new releases, he's hurry up and promote Jet before he'd mention the Dirt Bombs. I don't think the Reigning Sound got mentioned until after they toured with the Hives. His staff really doesn't do a lot of research either. He'll go on the show admitting that details are "vague" on the newest band he's promoting as the "Coolest Song in the World this week". It's just makes everything else look better by comparison, (which it is) but really doesn't help the scene as a whole.

Gas-House Gorilla said:
      I just don’t understand the compulsion by some to blast Little Steven around here. Perhaps it’s human nature to cast aspersions at our neighbors? Hell, I recently read a comment from a Hound blog reader taking a shot at the GaragePunk Hideout. That’s the way it goes I suppose. It’s just beyond me. As Sleazy pointed out, Little Steven is about the only guy out in the corporate world promoting good music. Shouldn’t we be criticizing everybody else instead? Key to me is his Sirius station, where thankfully I can get in my car anytime and be assured of hearing quality music on my radio (and hear a great collection of hosts - Handsome Dick Manitoba, Mighty Manfred, Andrew Loog Oldham, etc). Perhaps the music doesn’t all fit into a narrow definition of “garage”, or perhaps you’re not as likely to hear an obscurity as you are with the GP podcasts (although, you’ll certainly hear some gems on Bill Kelly’s show), but that doesn’t make the music played any less great. Just count me in as a fan of anybody promoting good music. There are so few out there.
    • September 2, 2009 7:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for your thoughts Rockin Rod Strychnine. I certainly respect a well thought out reply. Perhaps you’re correct on all of your points. I personally don’t see much of a difference in the frequency of the stuff he plays now from the labels you mentioned, versus back when he started. I know that he’s played the Cynics, Creatures Of The Golden Dawn, and others from the beginning. And with the structure of his programming being so broad, you’re only going to hear a smattering of such garage mixed in with the rest the stuff played (punk, girl group, British invasion, surf, rock ‘n roll, etc).

I know that I personally hear the Dirtbombs on the station far more often than the likes of Jet. Plus he does have a (non-original) member of the Dirtbombs on staff as a host. I have also heard him (and others on his station) promote the garage labels you mentioned, along with Sundazed, Bomp, Norton and others, as well as tipping his cap (do-rag?) to Greg Shaw, Lenny Kaye, etc.

As for the personal anecdotes you mentioned, I have no reason not to believe you. Maybe the guy is an asshole. I fortunately don’t have such first hand experience, but I can see how that would sour you. I’m sure there are others here with more authority, as I know some members are on his record label (although hence, wouldn’t be likely to say anything disparaging – but other with personal knowledge might).

Perhaps as you mentioned, everything else is better by comparison. I don’t necessarily agree, but I do greatly appreciate all the other garage outlets available to me. Unfortunately there is nobody else out there with the stature/visibility of Little Steven promoting this great music. Once there is, I will applaud their efforts as well. Also, I believe you said earlier that you listen to the show’s archives, so you must enjoy them to some degree?

Anyway, I again appreciate your thoughts, and you make some constructive points.
    • September 1, 2009 4:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

It's mostly because he goes about promoting music in a half ass fashion and he is too proud to rely on a network of people who actually have knowledge of the genre like Tim Gassen, Mike Stax, Suzie Shaw. Hell, Little Steven even admited that Bruce Springsteen is the one who brought the Hives to his attention. If he actually read Gearhead, he would have heard of the Hives before his first episode ever aired. He dismisses a lot of what has happened for the scene like the actual documenters who took the time to write down or photograph the history. Believe me, I've heard a lot of people who were about to be introduced to him, or actually the staff wanted Steven to meet them, and he says "I don't have time, I got more important things to do". That's not cool. And I said before that the first year didn't have very much in the line of Voxx, Dionysus, Get Hip, or Estrus on the show when things were kind of slim in terms of new releases. And even with the new releases, he's hurry up and promote Jet before he'd mention the Dirt Bombs. I don't think the Reigning Sound got mentioned until after they toured with the Hives. His staff really doesn't do a lot of research either. He'll go on the show admitting that details are "vague" on the newest band he's promoting as the "Coolest Song in the World this week". It's just makes everything else look better by comparison, (which it is) but really doesn't help the scene as a whole. Gas-House Gorilla said:
    • September 1, 2009 7:41 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, fair enough. Sorry if I came off as a little harsh. Keep in mind that I'm a fairly late convert to garage rock. I got my first exposure to it in the summer of 2000, when I first saw the Cynics at the 31st Street Pub. I saw the Swingin' Neckbreakers and Fleshtones later that summer, and this was all before I started listening to the UG. Hence I see things a little differently. Maybe if I had gotten into garage rock back in the early 80s, I would see things your way (Back then I was more of a metal fan). BTW, I do like Springsteen. I think "Born to Run" and "Darkness on the Edge of Town" are his masterpieces. If you don't like him, fine. IDON MINE said:
      Yeah thanks... I ain't no purist (didn't get the impression that any of the other guys are by seeing what they do else on these forums and in their contributions and their shows), but I sure as hell am childish. A bit of shit-talking is due considering all the connections this FUZZBLOKEIA thing has in common with the HIDEOUT. If ya like it, no ones gonna give ya the eye, or shit like that. So please, don't get me into any discussions here, yer points respected and all.

Once more with sugar: I have no particular aggression against Little Steven, I just don't listen to him or Springsteen. Since they are bigshot stars, it should be possible to speak out towards them too, in whatever vocabulary I want and without the accusation of jealousy for their, uhm, achievements or some crap like that. Springsteen music gives me the pukes and "I" don't give a fuck what he chuckles at. Don't take it the wrong way OK? :)
      But think whatever you want, of course.

MikeL said:
      And another thing...you guys can talk all the shit you want about Springsteen (I'm sure he laughs about it all the way to the bank), and about LS (I think his Fuzztopia is way cooler than the Garage Punk Hideout just because of the graphics alone). If I don't get barred from this place for speaking my mind, then I'll stick around, because I do like to keep an open mind about these things, unlike some people.
    • September 1, 2009 7:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 31, 2009 10:41 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Apperently. I note only got one of those messages at my e-mail address (I'm signed in to Renegade Nation so I can listen to the archives) but I got one of those at my maspace inbox from their myspace page. Sectmaniac said:
      Is this for real?

GRAND PRIZE (one winner)
      * A pair of tickets to ANY one of the remaining Summer/Fall tour dates with Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band! PLUS you and your guest will receive exclusive laminates to meet Stevie Van Zandt backstage before the show!
      1st PRIZE (one winner)
      * Fender Stratocaster Squire Classic 50’s guitar signed by Stevie Van Zandt!
      2nd PRIZE
      *FIFTEEN 2nd prize WINNERS will be selected RANDOMLY among the COMPLETED PROFILES, so everyone creating a thorough profile has a chance to win:
      *A script for an Underground Garage radio show PERSONALLY signed by Stevie Van Zandt. PLUS a double CD copy of the applicable show. The scripts are always written by hand, and include a bunch of commentary. This is a highly collectible, immensely cool look at the creative process for the show
    • August 31, 2009 8:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Is this for real? GRAND PRIZE (one winner) * A pair of tickets to ANY one of the remaining Summer/Fall tour dates with Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band! PLUS you and your guest will receive exclusive laminates to meet Stevie Van Zandt backstage before the show! 1st PRIZE (one winner) * Fender Stratocaster Squire Classic 50’s guitar signed by Stevie Van Zandt! 2nd PRIZE *FIFTEEN 2nd prize WINNERS will be selected RANDOMLY among the COMPLETED PROFILES, so everyone creating a thorough profile has a chance to win: *A script for an Underground Garage radio show PERSONALLY signed by Stevie Van Zandt. PLUS a double CD copy of the applicable show. The scripts are always written by hand, and include a bunch of commentary. This is a highly collectible, immensely cool look at the creative process for the show
    • August 31, 2009 4:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh yeah, I don't think it makes me "cool" to dislike the two or find their music puke-y, it's just a reaction I can't help! SORRY!

Here for the stir

• August 31, 2009 4:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah thanks... I ain't no purist (didn't get the impression that any of the other guys are by seeing what they do else on these forums and in their contributions and their shows), but I sure as hell am childish. A bit of shit-talking is due considering all the connections this FUZZBLOKEIA thing has in common with the HIDEOUT. If ya like it, no ones gonna give ya the eye, or shit like that. So please, don't get me into any discussions here, yer points respected and all. Once more with sugar: I have no particular aggression against Little Steven, I just don't listen to him or Springsteen. Since they are bigshot stars, it should be possible to speak out towards them too, in whatever vocabulary I want and without the accusation of jealousy for their, uhm, achievements or some crap like that. Springsteen music gives me the pukes and "I" don't give a fuck what he chuckles at. Don't take it the wrong way OK? :) But think whatever you want, of course. MikeL said:
      And another thing...you guys can talk all the shit you want about Springsteen (I'm sure he laughs about it all the way to the bank), and about LS (I think his Fuzztopia is way cooler than the Garage Punk Hideout just because of the graphics alone). If I don't get barred from this place for speaking my mind, then I'll stick around, because I do like to keep an open mind about these things, unlike some people.

Here for the stir

• August 31, 2009 3:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 31, 2009 11:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Fuck all of you if you don't like the way LS does things. That kind of purist mentality is just plain childish.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel