Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: '60s garage movies

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 22, 2009 10:06 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Do you know movies that deal with the golden '60s garage era? Cause I feel my brain more empty than a Jeffrey Lee Pierce's bottle of whiskey about that. Thanks.
    • August 25, 2009 12:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

What's the deal with that Remains documentary??...I believe it's called America's Lost Band and it premiered at the Boston Film Fest recently. Does anyone know when this will be out on dvd? I read somewhere that it amassed good reviews in the press, they were truly a legendary band. I know it's not remotely close to garage but I thought the recent Townes Van Zandt doc and Tim Buckley live footage dvd's were excellent as well.

Dig - The Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols (not 60's)....I have always stuck to my guns on this one and felt Brian Jonestown Massacre was nothing special - way too overproduced and the songs just aren't there. The lead singer in Jonestown is no genius but probably just as big an asshole and poser as the lead singer of Oasis. I know some people would enjoy this though.

J
    • August 24, 2009 10:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Don't know the names of the films, but been meaning to look into "The Spiders" Japanese flicks from the 60's...

"Blast-Off Girls" is (of course) an all-time favourite. Can't figure out why the guy plays an inverted accordion instead of a proper organ though. Would love to see a soundtrack come out for that.

What's the flick with "The Bit-O'-Sweet" in it (doing their fabulous version of "Is it On, Is it Off?" - I believe)?? Grungy old b&w flick I think you can get on the Something Weird Video catalogue...
    • August 24, 2009 10:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Never heard of it!?! ;-) Andy Seven said:
      "Blast Off Girls" by Herschell Gordon Lewis is as real as it gets. He even recruited a real garage band to play The Big Blast. Highly recommended stuff.
      I also recommend "Mondo Mod" which has documentary footage of the Sunset Strip including bands performing at Gazzari's and The Whisky A Go-Go.
      And if you like pre-fab rock groups there's always Max Frost & The Troopers in "Wild In The Streets".
    • August 24, 2009 8:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

http://www.thevideobeat.com/ has a fine selection of 50s/60s Rock n Roll, Teen, Surf and Explo movies that are pretty hard to find elsewhere...
    • August 24, 2009 8:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Another movie of note is “That Thing You Do!”. It’s not from the 60’s, but from 1996. It’s written-by, directed-by and stars Tom Hanks, about a 60’s one-hit-wonder group called the Wonders. Great music send-ups of various 60's styles - from pop, to Motown/Specter, to lounge, to jazz, to the Tornado’s “Telstar”. It’s well worth seeing.
    • August 24, 2009 7:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here's a link for Riot on Sunset Strip on DVD.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 24, 2009 7:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Here are some others:

- “Cool Ones” – With a Hullabaloo/SHINDIG type show called Whizbam, and features The Leaves and The Bantams.
      - “Wild In The Streets” – Gives us the fictitious Max Frost & The Troopers.
      - “Head” – The Monkees full-length psychedelic feature, co-written by Jack Nicholson.
      - “Get Yourself A College Girl” – Features The Animals, Dave Clark Five and The Standells.

There’s all those beach movies too, featuring Dick Dale, Jan & Dean, Beach Boys, etc.
    • August 24, 2009 7:32 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thank you all I have a lot to watch right now. Cool.
    • August 23, 2009 6:04 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

British movies:
      The Deadly Bee's - a scene with The Birds
      The Sorcerers - cant remember the band The Atlantics or something really good fuzz stomper, set in a mid 60's club.
      Whats good for the Goose - loads of shots with psych era Pretty Things amazing.

gotta rack my brains now....
    • August 23, 2009 3:52 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YES! You're Gonna Miss Me. I reviewed it a couple of years ago. It's HERE Jannell said:
      I watched a pretty good doc about Roky Ericson of The 13th Floor Elevators. If you dig that band at all you'll at least find this interesting. If you aren't familiar with Roky's story - he did a lot of drugs and had some shock therapy done to him for being schizophrenic and is now just batshit crazy. Sad. But interesting.
      ROKY ERIKSON
    • August 23, 2009 1:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

But he can still play and sing and is still fantastic. Jannell said:
      I watched a pretty good doc about Roky Ericson of The 13th Floor Elevators. If you dig that band at all you'll at least find this interesting. If you aren't familiar with Roky's story - he did a lot of drugs and had some shock therapy done to him for being schizophrenic and is now just batshit crazy. Sad. But interesting.
    • August 22, 2009 11:41 PM CDT
    • Untitled

"Blast Off Girls" by Herschell Gordon Lewis is as real as it gets. He even recruited a real garage band to play The Big Blast. Highly recommended stuff.
      I also recommend "Mondo Mod" which has documentary footage of the Sunset Strip including bands performing at Gazzari's and The Whisky A Go-Go.
      And if you like pre-fab rock groups there's always Max Frost & The Troopers in "Wild In The Streets".
    • August 22, 2009 11:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 22, 2009 2:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Trip

Psych Out

Riot On Sunset Strip

Bunny Lake Is Missing - not garage but I think the Zombies are in this one

Blow Up - not garage either but a good film from 1966

Standells - on the Munsters (not a movie)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel