Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Record shops that sell vinyl (indie)

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 11, 2009 10:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Just wondering what cool record stores might be in your neighborhoods that sell vinyl records (The underground kind)
    • January 29, 2010 9:17 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

BORN BAD in the Bastille district in Paris is super cool...lots of vinyl. But one of the guys that owned it died a couple of weeks ago.
    • January 1, 2010 7:08 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

St. Louis has a few good ones: Vintage Vinyl, Euclid Records and Apop Records (the last one is definitely the most "underground" of the three... it's very similar to Goner Records in Memphis).

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 23, 2009 3:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, I just came across a topic with Seattle record stores and someone did fill in some blanks:

Reply by ted cogswell on April 28, 2009 at 2:43pm
      F-Holes said:
      East Street in West Seattle and Lower Queen Anne, Bop Street in Ballard (free show Fri May 1 with the F-Holes) Sonic Boom in Ballard
      All good suggestions - also Neptune Records in the U-District for affordable vinyl, Singles Going Steady in Belltown for punk rock stuff, Golden Oldies in Wallingford for vintage vinyl, and Jive Time in Freemont are favorites. For a genral, broad selection of new and used, go to Everyday Music on Capitol Hill, Cellophane Square in the U-District, or Silver Platters in Queen Anne and Northgate.
    • August 23, 2009 1:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

In Seattle, Singles Going Steady is the most underground you'll get. Easy Street Records in the Queen Anne area is pretty decent as well as their West Seattle store. And so is Sonic Boom in Ballard. There's some others but someone else will have to fill us in as I can't think of them off the top of my head.
    • August 21, 2009 1:02 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you travel to Marseille in south of France have a run at Lollipop Store the best record shop in town. Garage, Punk, Soul, Sixties, Comps (CDs and LP's), Books, Shirts,... . The two boss are real cool guys. You can even have a drink cause there's a little bar inside. Funny place.
    • August 21, 2009 7:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

When I'm in NY, GREENPOINT - BROOKLYN I love to skip to PERMANENT RECORDS www.permanentrecords.info/ Nice people, cool store, great stuff - great area to hang out anyway. Shopping is easy there: There's a thriftstore like second-hand section, some rarities and the staff (mostly it's the owner herself) is very friendly and up on things. You can find recs from IN THE RED to NORTON and back as well as some old timey thing-eys.

Here for the stir

• August 18, 2009 10:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah New Paltz is a great little town...one of the better college towns I've been too - plus it's close to NYC - relatively speaking. My favorite drinking place over there is Bacchus...400 different types of bottled beer...how can anyone go wrong with that?
    • August 18, 2009 7:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I totally agree!

Brielle said:
      Thirsty Moon record shop in the Hillcrest area of San Diego (California) has to be my favorite so far, that's relatively near to me. I mostly always spot something that makes my eyes grow big and my heart thump a bit. The people working there are friendly and normally know whats up, from what I've experienced at the least. The vinyl is well categorized as well. *Some* stuff can be a bit pricey, that's the only slight negativity about it though. Weooooo..
    • August 18, 2009 10:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's cool man, after posting I read your post and realized we went to the same university! Had some good times in New Paltz! Bob Blackstone said:
      New York City, NY
      House of Oldies - the owner has a log up his ass - they have the bigger names although I picked up great original copies of Moby Grape 69, The Beach Boys Surf's Up and The Seeds' Future here at bargain prices.
      Rockit Scientist
      Kim's Video
      Other Music
      Midnight Records - mailorder vinyl and cds, though if you make an appointment you can actually go there - the owner is somewhat strange.
      Eat Records - Brooklyn - you can sit down and eat food than sift thru records.

Albany, NY
      Last Vestige - one of the best I know of...great vinyl....it's in the ghetto though...best advised to wear armor

Danbury, CT
      Gerosa - geared heavily toward classic rock

Waterbury, CT
      Brass City Records - alot of psych and hippie stuff

New Paltz, NY - went to college here, great town
      Rhino Records

So there's the tristate area in a nutshell....

Does anyone know Cleveland well? I went to one place that was pretty cool at the edge of town, in like a sorta hip area, or as hip as Cleveland can be but this place had alot of garage, beat, punk and so forth...vinyl and cds. The owner was this short stocky barrel chested fella with a beard...dark hair.
    • August 18, 2009 10:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OK, I'll start small and get bigger. In my college town, New Paltz, NY there's a couple places: Jack's Rhythm's - 54 Main St, New Paltz, NY Good but small selection of vinyl and CDs. I bought my first Teengenerate LP there and some of the 45s I distro (The Playmates, Radio Shanghai, Trio) are on shelves there and some CDs like The Fadeaways, Teengenerate live and The Dogs Tribute. Rhino Records - 3 Church St., New Paltz, NY Great selection of all types and lots of garage, surf, exotica, punk and indie on vinyl. Waaay back in the day it used to be affiliated with the Rhino label. In NY city, I can recommend two places although there are plenty others, like Bleecker Street Records, Academy etc.: Other Music (Manhattan) - www.othermusic.com Mostly out music, avant garde, experimental and indie rock, but there's also some punk, garage, electronica and indie on vinyl. I put some experimental CDs there (Flight of Idea, Six O'Minus, Varo). Passout Recordshop (Brooklyn) - http://www.myspace.com/passoutrecordshop Mostly vinyl punk, hardcore, garage, exotica, rockabilly, psychobilly, etc. I put some 45s (Playmates, Radio Shanghai, Trio) here and some CDs (Fadeways, Teengenerate live, The Dogs tribute). The owner Pee Wee is also in the punk band I.C.U. In Japan there are tons and tons, but I'll give you a short list of the more garage punk ones: Disk Union is a chain that has everything including ample vinyl selection depending on the location. Shimokitazawa is the largest I've seen, but Shibuya has a good punk shop. Japan Vinyl in Shinjuku, two shops, one dealing in more classic rock and mainstream and the other selling more udnerground punk, indie stuff. They bring bands like the Rezillos, The Boys, The Only Ones, Pretty Things, The Undertones to Japan. Record Shop Base, another chain with punk, hardcore, garage stuff. The Tokyo shop is in Koenji. They reissued and released Nikki Corvette stuff in Japan and more recently the Baby Shakes and Test Patterns. Senseless Records in Hachioji carries more punk (pop punk, hardcore, post hardcore, oi!, ska) but you can find the odd ball country, garage, neo-rockabilly LP. Run by Tsuchiya from Peace of Bread and it's connected to a studio which has regular events on the weekend. I distro Armedalite Rifles LP and other upstate NY punk here. Micky Room in Yokohama, very tiny place in a seedy apartment near Yokohama station. Lot's of underground hardcore, classic and rare punk to find punk from all over the world. I distro Armedalite Rifles LP here as well and other NY punk stuff. Last might be the best for this crowd. TIME BOMB RECORDS. I haven't been to Osaka yet, but I'm dying to check this shop out. Simply the best place to find garage punk, Japanese or otherwise. The Time Bomb Label has released stuff by bands like 5678's, Acid Eater, Mad3, Supersnazz, First Alert, etc. There's plenty of other places I haven't check out or I can't remember the names, but these are the ones that stick out.
    • August 17, 2009 9:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

New York City, NY
      House of Oldies - the owner has a log up his ass - they have the bigger names although I picked up great original copies of Moby Grape 69, The Beach Boys Surf's Up and The Seeds' Future here at bargain prices.
      Rockit Scientist
      Kim's Video
      Other Music
      Midnight Records - mailorder vinyl and cds, though if you make an appointment you can actually go there - the owner is somewhat strange.
      Eat Records - Brooklyn - you can sit down and eat food than sift thru records.

Albany, NY
      Last Vestige - one of the best I know of...great vinyl....it's in the ghetto though...best advised to wear armor

Danbury, CT
      Gerosa - geared heavily toward classic rock

Waterbury, CT
      Brass City Records - alot of psych and hippie stuff

New Paltz, NY - went to college here, great town
      Rhino Records

So there's the tristate area in a nutshell....

Does anyone know Cleveland well? I went to one place that was pretty cool at the edge of town, in like a sorta hip area, or as hip as Cleveland can be but this place had alot of garage, beat, punk and so forth...vinyl and cds. The owner was this short stocky barrel chested fella with a beard...dark hair.
    • August 17, 2009 7:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Columbus, Ohio has ::

Lost Weekend Records
      Used Kids Records
      Magnolia Thunderpussy
      Evil Empire Records

Employees at all four places know their stuff!
    • August 16, 2009 8:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

AKA Music yo, 2nd and Market... where i go to get shit.
      The Record Exchange is ight. Also Sailor Jerry's always has some good records on sale.
      Repo Records, every once in a while they have some cool stuff usually just trendy music for all the hipsters.
      Tequila Sunrise, never been there since I think its much like repo if anything.
      Theres a bunch others but I usually always go to AKA.
    • August 16, 2009 4:56 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Missing Link is closed down, apparently recently. I managed to miss out on another great thing. Jannell said:
      Central Indiana stores (that I know of):

-Vibes Music in Broadripple Indianapolis, IN
      -Village Green in Muncie, IN (near BSU)
      -Indy CD and Vinyl in Broadripple Indianapolis, IN
      -Missing Link Records in Indianapolis, IN

*I'm not familiar with Bloomington at all but I KNOW there are lots of rad record shops there.

Also - if you are in Muncie, IN - there is a used vinyl record shop downtown called Dan's Downtown Record Store. Another sweet spot for used gems is the Off Broadway Antique Mall. On the weekends you should check out the Main Street Flea Market. Hellz yeah.
    • August 16, 2009 9:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sleepy London Ontario actually has 3 record stores that sell a fair bit of vinyl:

Speed City Records....loads of cheapie records, and lots of punk/indy/noise type stuff. Most of the records i get locally come from here...I almost always leave the store with way less cash and more records.
      Grooves Records....more mainstream type records as well as new indy stuff....there's always treasures to be found.
      Village Idiot Records....more collectable type stuff...higher prices but generallye excellent condition records.
    • August 16, 2009 2:10 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Central Indiana stores (that I know of): -Vibes Music in Broadripple Indianapolis, IN -Village Green in Muncie, IN (near BSU) -Indy CD and Vinyl in Broadripple Indianapolis, IN -Missing Link Records in Indianapolis, IN *I'm not familiar with Bloomington at all but I KNOW there are lots of rad record shops there. Also - if you are in Muncie, IN - there is a used vinyl record shop downtown called Dan's Downtown Record Store. Another sweet spot for used gems is the Off Broadway Antique Mall. On the weekends you should check out the Main Street Flea Market. Hellz yeah.
    • August 15, 2009 6:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Around Chicago.. lauries planet of sound and reckless records are cool :)
    • August 12, 2009 1:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Shake-It Records here is Cincinnati, OH is fantastic: http://www.shakeitrecords.com/ An entire floor of new and used vinyl of all genres. People who work there know their stuff and aren't stuck up hipster assholes, either. Love that place.
    • August 12, 2009 12:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Luna Records is across the street from my house, but the employees are total hipster trash. One dude really wouldn't talk to me until I bought a Velvet Underground album.
      Vibes music is a few blocks away, on 54th. Their selection is okay, and the guys who run it are always super cool.
      Indy CD and Vinyl is on 62nd/Broadripple. They probably have the best selection in the city. Staff is knowledgeable, but occasionally a bit snotty. Owner is a nice guy, though.
      There's also "the record shop" on 62nd and. . . Guilford? It's by the violin shop. I've been in there once, and they were a bit too collect-y for my style. I like records I can listen to.
    • August 12, 2009 3:58 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

shout out to monorail in glasgow which is so cool stephen form the pastels runs it. i get my nuggets comps from there and a few cool hasil adkins records:)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel