Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Social End Product by the Bluestars

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 5, 2009 12:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I like to refer music "experts" to this track when they argue that punk didn't exist until the 1970s. But recently I had one guy who flat-out refused to accept it as an example of punk. So what do YOU think? Vote here!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• August 13, 2009 7:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

it's only rock n roll but i like it.
    • August 9, 2009 11:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Personally, I think punk is a much more accurate term for a lot of sixties rock than garage rock is. Did they even have garages in New Zealand? I mean, look at My Generation by the Who. That was is full of venom just as much as any song on Crypt. Greg Shaw called it punk in the beginning but only switched to calling it garage just to avoid confusion to those who think punk begins with the Ramones. The Standells, Seeds, and Music Machine actually practiced in real studios. Sure, we got to finally see photos of ? and the Mysterians in a garage but why does that make it garage rock? Like I said, I think punk is a better term for a lot of sixties rock.
    • August 8, 2009 7:06 PM CDT
    • Untitled

I dunno... I quite like a good feed of beef... Michael Kaiser said:
      Kopper, you can't expect folk to slaughter the sacred cow of "Punk Rock started in '77".
    • August 8, 2009 4:08 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YES, it's baiting, that's what, hahahaha. MR.KAISER: THAT'S THE GOSPEL! Mardy Pune: Yeah what you said about the GIRL BANDS, should generally get some more spotlight, no? Apart from "HOT CHICK" and "CUTEY" and "HOUSEMADE for LIFE" what was the place society had in mind for women? A 50's rockband with the members consisting of pensioned housekeepers and mothers of 4 would have been cool, AHahaha. But who does the laundry for Daddy since he never learned to do that and never will 'cause he thinks it's only fer "GIRLS"? Oh I'm going waaay out again... BB: Maybe I don't get your irony or something (I ain't no expert!), but I sure don't dig that line of women hate-ing crap - if that's what you wanted to bring across. Like I said, I don't get it - is all. Just my gddamn opinion so don't take it as offence pa-lease. Bob Blackstone said:
      Oh and by the way, Women actually do come from Venus but instead of sucking your brain out with a straw they suck the dollars out of your wallet with their twat.

Here for the stir

• August 8, 2009 12:55 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

There are scores of good rock n roll bands from the 50's to mid 70's that made punk rock or hard rock n roll that influenced group's like the ramones, wipers and so forth. Has anyone bought that new Death lp (For The Whole World To See) that was released in 2009? It was recorded in 1974 but sounds pure 1977, highly recommended....and thankfully there are no cheesy reggae or blue beat influenced tracks that plagued groups like the Jam, the Clash, the Ruts and so forth. The Seeds sounded pretty punk to me, I mean in theory, they were no different than the Ramones...both groups were only capable of one sound and a few chords. Check out lp's/45's by the Coloured Balls (Australia - early 70's, post Wild Cherries Lobby Loyde), Simply Saucer, Rocket From The Tombs, The Mirrors,Public Nuisance, Electric Eels, George Brigman, The Groundhogs (listen to their Split album), It's All Meat, Los Mockers, early Pretty Things, Monks, The Sonics, Wimple Winch, MC5, Painted Ship, Flamin' Groovies, Pink Fairies, Downliners Sect, The Spiders, Missing Links, Les Sinners, Q65, The Outsiders, plus all those raw early rockabilly and garage 45's - isn't this enough proof, you guys know most of these illustrious legends! I respect music from the 50's to mid 70's a bit more than the punk era and current acts. I think rock music lost alot of it's vitality and outsider feel in the late 70's...sure there are great punk bands but the records tend to sound overproduced. MTV really fucked things up but what the hell - I guess a thing called technology happened and with that rock n roll lost alot of it's heart and soul - things became very corporate. Gone are the Zombies and Pretty Things and in are boring groups like the Sex Pistols (John Lydon is the biggest jerkoff on two legs) and B52's. Coming from a so-called expert, I'm thankful the 60's happened. Oh and by the way, Women actually do come from Venus but instead of sucking your brain out with a straw they suck the dollars out of your wallet with their twat.
    • August 7, 2009 5:20 PM CDT
    • Untitled

yes, it's got punk attitude. The sentiment is one of disillusionment, that's pretty punk. Punk I think.

Girl bands in the 50's were pretty punk, playing rock 'n' roll instead of being tied to the kitchen sink was pretty rebellious.

These experts you speak of, I've meet some of them, they tend to not go out, just stay at home reading books and researching, very disconnected from reality, I wouldn't read anything into what they say, most of them think a girl is something that comes from Venus that sucks a man's brains out with the use of a straw.
    • August 7, 2009 3:58 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

I can't help but feel that you're baiting us.
      :~]
    • August 7, 2009 2:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Kopper, you can't expect folk to slaughter the sacred cow of "Punk Rock started in '77". Them kind of folk don't understand the underlying concept of the term "Punk Rock"; they understand fashion. That person is comfortable with accepting a common (popular) concept of "Punk", and they ain't gonna let you tear down the temple, brother. It's the same thing with Psychobilly. Hasil Adkins is flat-out Psychobilly (I'd also argue that The Haze is Punk Rock), but the believers must accept that The Meteors (P. Paul Fenech) birthed the genre, and therefore the previous (undeniable) claim is anathema and worth going to blows over.
    • August 7, 2009 8:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

YES! IS PUNK! NUFF SAID!!!!

Ok, a bit more: It's a rollercoaster, I have no problem with acknowledging it - it's pretty timeless.

Here for the stir

• August 6, 2009 7:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

With that much angst and alienation crammed into a 2.5 minute raw and aggressive guitar driven rock ‘n roll assault - hell yeah it's punk.
    • August 5, 2009 12:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Funny, because I had discussion yesterday, after I played this song for a friend of mine. It's absolutely raunchy, snotty and the lyrics back it up completely, I just don't understand how you could not accept it. The sound is timeless. Really this song could of happened in 70's, 80's, 90's , the best part is, it came long before.
      ...I love the way he says social end product at around 1:15 , totally wait for it. yessss.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel