Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Microphone Wreck-o-mendations Plz

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 1, 2009 2:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey gang!

I'm in the market fer a good vocal microphone fer playin' out (& possibly if it's sweet a bit o' recordin' duty too)...any suggestions that really get it, in that garagepunk way (& plz spare me the "get a shitty one" replies)

Otherwise it's probably gonna be just a plain jane SM-58 mic (hopefully used to boot!)
    • August 11, 2009 4:33 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

If you can find it on ebay Shure use to make an awesome Mid-grade mic called the "Shure BG 1.1" I purchased mine years ago in the 90s and still use it today for studio and live stuff. It's a wonderful dynamic mic! I've recorded Vocals, guitar amps, Snare and Bass drum, and I've used it as a room mic, there's nothing it can't do and it's cheap if you can find one! I think it's more underrated than anything
    • August 10, 2009 12:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

try your local flea market for the bullet mikes. i got mine for 25 bucks. i'd love to get some mics out of old reel to reel decks just to see what they would sound like. probablly sound like shit but thats the sound your going for right ? i think it's the electro voice 664. looks like a ray gun.
    • August 8, 2009 7:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanx to everyone fer the comments and wreck-o-mendations ...Lord, I'd luv a Green Bullet...anyone know where I can find a decent used (old/original) fer sale? ...gonna have to scour eBay, I bet...ug.
    • August 8, 2009 7:16 PM CDT
    • Untitled

If you want a good quality mic go for a Beta-58, pricey but really good. It will do a lot more than just vocals. I personally like the beta-57, a good quality overall workhorse.

If you want a bit of a garage/trash style sound go for the older green bullet mics already mentioned. And make sure you get one of the old ones, the newer ones are shit, strange rattling sounds and not a lot of grit. These tend to be great for vocals or harp (what they are intended for) not so great for guitars etc.

If you want to try something different to the shure brand mics the mid price AKG's are worth a look.
    • August 8, 2009 5:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i have a few old japanese mics that are used. an old shure green bullet is good for a trashy sound or an electrovoice 662.
    • August 2, 2009 8:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

RE-20 Electrovoice !

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel