Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: The A-Bones, Not Now! album artwork and photos

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • July 14, 2009 3:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The A-Bones approached me about the cover of their latest LP, and the idea was to emulate the cover of "The Rolling Stones, Now!" cover from 1965. What a fun homage! In the mid-60's, the Stones were really breaking out with their 3rd record stateside, and photography was at a crucial juncture in time. David Bailey was king, and the first Pentax Spotmatic SLR was introduced. In our 2009 version on the left, I tried to keep the intimacy, but break through to a range of focal lenghts, while showing more of the location. It's tricky to modernize something so astutely perfect the way it is. I can't say how proud I am to have been a part of this really special record, The A-Bones' first full-length recording in 15 years! I spent 2 days (Jan. 12th and 13th, 2009) underground at N.Y. Hed studios while these guys made magic with track-master Matt Verta-Ray, and an organ-player like you wouldn't believe! Dave "Baby" Cortez , who had a mind-blowing guest appearance on the track "Catnip". I snapped away silently while they laid down pure gold, and was frankly awe-struck at the level of musicianship, and genuinely entertained by the dynamics of the group. These guys are on my A-LIST of favorite people ever. Below you'll find some more gems from the shoot! (Read more about it on Miriam Linna's blog http://nortonville.blogspot.com/)! Left to Right: Marcus "The Carcass" Natale, Lars Espensen, Ira Kaplan (Yo La Tengo), Bruce Bennett, Billy Miller, Miriam Linna, Dave "Baby" Cortez. 1_abones-stones1 **** CLICK HERE FOR MORE PHOTOS!****
    • August 26, 2009 5:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

great!!!!
    • August 22, 2009 3:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I hate feeling like I hijack these threads! I checked Time Bomb's site and they have NOT NOW in on CD and vinyl for about 1500 yen in Japan. If they are selling the album at the show, I'll probably pick it up. Here's some more artwork by Rockin' Jelly Bean (Erostika/Jackie & the Cedrics).

• August 21, 2009 6:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

OH MY SHIT! If that ain't some frakkin' hot action there! Enjoy getting closer to the A-Bones! Besides that, will someone be taking Photos/Video of that? I mean: PLEASE???? Pacifiction Records said:
      This is awesome... I'm about to see the A-Bones in Japan and their stuff keeps popping out of nowhere at me! I've seen the Japanese bands a million times but the A-Bones will be an initiation for me!

Here for the stir

• August 18, 2009 9:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

This is awesome... I'm about to see the A-Bones in Japan and their stuff keeps popping out of nowhere at me! I've seen the Japanese bands a million times but the A-Bones will be an initiation for me!

• August 18, 2009 2:02 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The A-Bones are the masters of cover art tributes. The first thing I ever got by them was a single that featured them looking like Paul Revere and the Raiders on their first Columbia album. I also remember the last A-Bones album looking like FOR YOUR LOVE by the Yardbirds.
    • July 17, 2009 2:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh, YEAH!

I love your work on that cover!
      I also love reading that little recap on the photo, erm, story.

I'm thrilled to hear this one out!!!

Here for the stir

• July 15, 2009 12:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Bitchen! Can't wait to hear album too.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel