Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: NEW New York Dolls

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 14, 2009 9:18 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm curious to hear thoughts on the reincarnated New York Dolls. They just released their second album since they reunited. I've given it quite a few solid listens, and, a bit to my chagrin I find myself enjoying it quite a bit. I liked their previous release too (perhaps a bit more). While a part of me is troubled by the use of the name New York Dolls by only two surviving members, I'm willing to forgive with the quality of this material. It'd be another story if they released something as embarrassingly putrid as the Who's Endless Wire - but happily, that's not the case. While I certainly miss Johnny Thunders' guitar work and (even more) his sneering/whining vocals, the music holds up to their classic work. It's not quite as good, and lacks some of the power and sleaze. Instead, it is a bit more refined and mature. All in all, it's quite good. I did catch their live show last time around too, and it was surprisingly good. There was certainly a high level of energy. Anyway, I'm just curious to hear other opinions.
    • September 11, 2010 4:10 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Understandable. A little too heavy on the cheese whiz for me. MikeL said:
      I got a little choked up myself when they played that song at the festival. It was very moving.

Alex Patton said:
      I saw em three or so years ago and they were great. A few crocodile tears were shed when they played can't put your arms around a memory, but it was nice to hear the song at least.
    • September 10, 2010 1:01 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I got a little choked up myself when they played that song at the festival. It was very moving. Alex Patton said:
      I saw em three or so years ago and they were great. A few crocodile tears were shed when they played can't put your arms around a memory, but it was nice to hear the song at least.
    • September 10, 2010 11:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• September 10, 2010 9:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I still like the Dolls. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw them at Little Steven's festival at Randall's Island (I had some doubts before they hit the stage). I was also pleasantly surprised when I first listened to "Someday It Will Please Us To Remember This." It wasn't quite what I was hoping for, or expecting, from the Dolls, but it was still a cool album. I saw them again during Little Steven's Rolling Rock tour and here in Pittsburgh during the Three Rivers Arts Festival, and both times they played great sets.

However, I was very disappointed with their latest offering, and they disappointed me again when I saw them at the Altar Bar here in Pittsburgh last June. I will always cherish their first two albums, both of which are glam/punk masterpieces, but I'm not going to see them, or buy any new albums from them, ever again. This whole reunion thing has pretty much run its course for me, just like it did with KISS.
    • September 10, 2010 3:03 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I know this topic was posted well over a year ago but I just came across it! I think it's great that they're back and I certainly think of them, in my head at least, as the New, New York Dolls. Thunders is of course missed as is Nolan's power but you could never have hoped for a Dolls of old. They don't seem to me to have attempted to re-do anything from the past, I totally agree that the way they're playing and the songs they're writing now are so very mature and current to them so for that reason, I think they're brilliant! David's voice is more powerful than ever now too! I saw them when they came to Australia and loved it
    • March 3, 2010 8:29 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm happy for them to get something back and they are what they are. The new album is still underwhelming and I'm stuffed if David Fricke's review of the first comeback disc isn't way over the top. There's a Live at the Fillmore thing that rips along fairly well with lots of the original songs in the set list.
    • March 3, 2010 7:36 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Having grown up in NYC I saw the original Dolls. They had more stage presence than any band I've ever seen, before or since. When the original band broke up, David & Syl carried on till late 1976 as "The Dolls" until David signed a solo deal with Blue Sky records & Syl signed with RCA. Instead of hiring another guitarist, they had a piano player. It was not the NY Dolls I remembered, but they were great.

I also happen to know Sylvain for a very long time, having played bass in his solo band & on his albums Sleep Baby Doll, & New York's Au Go Go.

You have to look at this from his point of view. Drugs broke up the Dolls. Everybody knows that, but aside from that simple fact, a lot of people do not realize that they sold their publishing. In other words, in all these years they made nothing off their legacy. Till now. Syl drove a cab. When I started playing with him, he had been installing carpet for a living.

Forget whether the original Dolls were cooler or not. I know how Syl struggled for years. I played gigs with him at little dive bars in LA that he clearly out-classed. To see him up on the big stage with a shiny new Gretsch Guitar, happier than a pig in shit is unbelievable. He gave so much to Rock N Roll, it's great to see him get something back.
    • March 2, 2010 11:29 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

seen them twice in this incarnation and once as the originals, still prefer the originals (or for that matter johnnys solo output. I don't know that this would be an issue if they had kept playing together over the years and just replaced people as they died or left to do something ele. The current lineup is tight then the original but i miss th sloppiness. the new cds are ok but nothing holds a candle to the first album (as holds true for many bands-- you spend years writing and rehearsing that first album, then have to better it 8 -12 months later.... no wonder so many sophomore albums are a dssapointment)
    • June 3, 2009 3:43 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Beats the living fug outta Dexter Poindexter! Doesn't anyone out there remember THAT monstrosity? "Feelin' hot hot hot!" Aye Aye Aye ARRRRRRRIBA!
      No, really, just as I had discovered in my house some scratchy old early Springsteen albums I sorta hear some of the same spirit in the new 'Dolls, which isn't a bad thing by any stretch. It brings a much needed new aspect to their music. You just can't be on a dead end heroin death wish forever not even under the best of circumstances.
    • June 2, 2009 6:47 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

A bit to my chagrin: you're joking, hopefully;
      it's David 'n'Syl ;
      and the NY Dolls's (and Eddie Cochran's) spirit is obviuously still there;
      plus Johansen sings better than evah;
      Luv'
      Ivan
    • May 31, 2009 2:07 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw the guys play a couple of years ago here in Austin for SXSW. Sure, it was only Syl and David in the band. But hey, it was THE New York Dolls. The gig blew me away...they kicked ass on all the old faves. Sure it was "slicker" than the vintage Dolls...but it was still greasy fun rock n roll at it's best. I've heard a few tunes off the new album, it didn't really grab me. But you've got to be realistic, you can't expect guys 30 plus years after the fact to write, play, and sound the same as they did back in the day. All I can say is good on 'em for getting out there and doing it...Cheers, Wig
    • May 16, 2009 3:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I saw them in Australia when they came through on the back of the first comeback album. They were pretty good but over-played the new stuff.

I heard a leak of the newie and I'm underwhelmed. Doing a reggae version of Trash sucks the big one, you know, and the rest of it sounded like bad Aerosmith.
    • May 14, 2009 4:59 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

no one could every replace Johnny Thunders, but i'll still probably go see them when they're here. they're playing at the venue i use to work at so i really have no excuse not to go.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel