Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: RECORDING young bands' SHOWS for "Out of the Vaults"???

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 7, 2009 7:45 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I see that there is very special stuff on that show, classy, great set's. I'm just thinking: Is it nonsense to record shows by young bands, because it falls out of the roster of what has been played?

I mean if the recording is good and the show crisp, is there a chance it can be more recent and small and therefor possibly not be so appropriate for the programming and the VAULT line?

With all the things going on, it would be awesome to check in with and hear some young bands recorded, in addition to the already great "classics."

Well how you feelin' bout that GP checkers???

Here for the stir

• May 8, 2009 10:48 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Good to hear - Thanks for the technical heads up! Absolutely thought of asking the bands and venues along, although bootlegs are great, I think it makes it more fun for everybody in to have them know it. The audience thing is something that can bring a lot to a recording. There is this great Solomon Burke live album where the show is almost a symbiotic experience between the band and the people in the room. I'll see if I can catch something in the distant future and will be sure to hand it in. 'Love that show and it's great to have it as a podcast! kopper said:
      I think it depends on the band. There should be some buzz about it at least. Although I'm more inclined to be interested in more rarities, like great recordings of classic, storied bands of the past. But that's not to say I wouldn't include a live recording of a great up-and-coming one if the quality was good enough. By the way, the best way to record a live show is to have a mix of a live mic and a direct input from the sound board. Ask the band permission to record the show first, then talk to the sound man. Bring a recording device and plug it into the sound board, and then have a room mic so you can capture, well, the sound of the room, including people cheering, clapping and stuff. Then mix both recordings together and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results if done correctly.

Here for the stir

• May 8, 2009 9:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think it depends on the band. There should be some buzz about it at least. Although I'm more inclined to be interested in more rarities, like great recordings of classic, storied bands of the past. But that's not to say I wouldn't include a live recording of a great up-and-coming one if the quality was good enough. By the way, the best way to record a live show is to have a mix of a live mic and a direct input from the sound board. Ask the band permission to record the show first, then talk to the sound man. Bring a recording device and plug it into the sound board, and then have a room mic so you can capture, well, the sound of the room, including people cheering, clapping and stuff. Then mix both recordings together and you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results if done correctly.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel