Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any songs covering ORBISON and FEATHERS?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 7, 2009 2:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Update: Here's a list with all the songs people posted:

The Nomads - Junge Fever

The Guana Batz - You're My Baby ('Held Down To Vinyl... At Last', ID Records 1985)

The Cramps - Problem Child

The Cramps - Domino

Crazy Cavan 'n' The Rhythm Rockers - Tongue-Tied Jill

Eero ja Jussi - Kaunis Nainen (Cover of Pretty Woman, 1965)

X (Australia) - Dream Baby (1987)

A comp called: Our boy Roy, on Telephone Explosion Records.

A Side:
      1. The Camero Wolf Band (Live Fast Die) - Problem Child
      2. Jacuzzi Boys - Anything You Want
      3. Bloodshot Bill - Cause of it All
      4. Haunted George - Rock House
      5. Holy Cobras - Domino 

B Side:
      1. Ty Segall - Pretty Women
      2. Teenanger - You're my Baby
      3. Demon's Claws - It's Over
      4. Red Mass - Running Scared
      5. Cheater Slicks - Crying
      6. Charlie & The Moonhearts - Chicken Hearted

MORE TO COME!

---

Ya, I know: Bands cover stuff - not the songs, but I'm wondering before I let my sore fingers hyke the internet mountains: Do you famed record collectors hear any a those populars covered by more recent bands???

Of course the CRAMPS, uhm, covered some of that ground for real good. DOMINO by them is a looooooong burner - but you kow that. As a side I already like to listen to Stones covers more than to the Stones (sick!) Fer example "SUMMER ROMANCE," "reinterpreted" by the Bomb Turks is a classic to me...

I've been listening to the Orb more again and rythms like on "GO!GO!GO!", "PROBLEM CHILD", "CHICKEN HEARTED," maybe even "YOU TELL ME" seem to be perfect for thrashing!

Here for the stir

• March 20, 2012 7:05 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Nick Cave and Bad Seeds did an excellent cover of Running Scared by Orbison on their Kicking Against the Pricks album.

• March 20, 2012 6:01 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok, just to keep the mill running:

The Motors with TILL I FELL IN LOVE WITH YOU (which I think does this justice greatly in a psychodelic fashion).

The Spliffs with CLAUDETTE (a fun live version - never heard of these guys before, well same as the Motors)

Here for the stir

• October 25, 2011 4:07 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha, yeah it counts for sure!

Those Chicago shows sound like not to miss, too bad for all the crap inbetween me and Chicago that hinders me from getting there.

"Twinkle Toes" is already bad ass and would make a great catchy Punk number!

John Battles said:

...Does self - promotion enter into it ? Bloodshot Bill and I have performed together twice as Bloodshot Battles Overdrive , and we did "Tongue - Tied Jill" once. We've talked , casually , about doing a show together again , now that La Migra is off his ass. Unfortunately , I'll be out of town when he plays his first show in Chicago in 5 years , with NoBunny , Tandoori Knights (Bloodshot Bill and King Khan , Ragabilly , Ragabilly ,  Rockabolly Boogie! ) and Bloodshot Bill , solo. But if YOU'RE in town , it's at The Bottom Lounge (I forget the date.).

Of course , real obvious Orbison covers include "Claudette" by The Everly Bros. , and they each did "Love Hurts". I defy any Garage band to cover "Twinkle Toes", BTW.

Here for the stir

• October 25, 2011 3:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks!

Mina said:
      Velvet Underground, can't come up with the song.

Here for the stir

• October 25, 2011 3:54 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Yeah, it's cool how some song become standards with whole scenes or a couple of bands from a certain time.

Reminds me of how Leaving Here keeps popping up, every now and then.

Though it can get on your nerve somehow, if every other record comes with the same cover version as an extra.

The Raw Cuts said:

Cavan also did 'One Hand Loose'. It's on their 'The Way It Was' album with early demos etc.

So did the 13 Cats...and Flying Saucers...and I bet a million other Teddyboy and Rockabilly bands.

Here for the stir

• October 25, 2011 3:35 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha, hey, I think in that timeline as well!

Although I still see some movies now and then, my last stop in the present was when Wild Zero, Electric Dragon and Sore Losers came out in the 90's.

Thanks for all the titles you came up with and will come up with no doubt ;) Oh, I have to hear that version of Chicken Hearted + the '68 Comeback also sounds great, everything does indeed.

And how the hell did I not point out the Charlie Feathers blood Bloodshot Bill and the Cramps have in their veins?? Well, I kind of did, but maybe not enough.

John Battles said:

IDON MINE , You have to understand (Well , know , you don't HAVE to , ha ha...) , my idea of "Current" means , in the last 30 years or so....I told someone today , I only see a few current movies a year , mainly cos so few of them look like they're worth it !

But , The Cramps were heavily influenced by Charlie Feathers , arguably moreso than Orbison.

They covered "I Can't Hardly Stand It" , "It's Just That Song" , and their version of "Tear It Up" was based of Feathers' arrangement , so that's sort of a Feathers cover....They probably did some others that were never released , or that they only did once or twice , live.

Hmmm...who else , The Stray Cats (No , I don't like 'em no more.) did "One Hand Loose".

Bloodshot Bill did some of Charlie Feathers' songs. I forget , now , because practiaclly all his stuff sounds like Charlie Feathers. I think '68 Comeback did "Uh - Huh Honey" and maybe "Tongue - Tied Jill" , but , I'd have to double check...

The Gibson Bros. did "Chicken Hearted" , Creedence Clearwater Revival did "Ooby Dooby" , The Blasters did "Go! Go! Go!" , Rev. Horton Heat and Los Straitjackets did "Move on Down The Line " (Jerry Lee's version of the same song.)......There are others , I'm justdrawing a blank. I'll think about it , though.

Here for the stir

• October 25, 2011 3:24 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Haha, they got the look down!

The Raw Cuts said:

some awesome Orbison cover from Finland...

Here for the stir

• October 25, 2011 3:22 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey! Thanks for that!

Interesting to see that Jacuzzi Boys did a rather late-ish Roy song,compared to the other bands on that comp. I guess it suits their understanding of Rock'n'Roll.

TeenFink said:

Here for the stir

• October 24, 2011 1:05 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

...Does self - promotion enter into it ? Bloodshot Bill and I have performed together twice as Bloodshot Battles Overdrive , and we did "Tongue - Tied Jill" once. We've talked , casually , about doing a show together again , now that La Migra is off his ass. Unfortunately , I'll be out of town when he plays his first show in Chicago in 5 years , with NoBunny , Tandoori Knights (Bloodshot Bill and King Khan , Ragabilly , Ragabilly ,  Rockabolly Boogie! ) and Bloodshot Bill , solo. But if YOU'RE in town , it's at The Bottom Lounge (I forget the date.).

Of course , real obvious Orbison covers include "Claudette" by The Everly Bros. , and they each did "Love Hurts". I defy any Garage band to cover "Twinkle Toes", BTW.

• October 24, 2011 5:39 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Cavan also did 'One Hand Loose'. It's on their 'The Way It Was' album with early demos etc.

So did the 13 Cats...and Flying Saucers...and I bet a million other Teddyboy and Rockabilly bands.

• October 23, 2011 9:25 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sean , You're right about the others , and I think you're right about Panther Burns.

You reminded me , The Nomads also did Jungle Fever. Crazy Cavan's "Tongue - Tied Jill" is pretty killer....Funny , I was just talking to someone about them , last night. You have to remember , when Crazy Cavan's name is mentioned in the states , a pin drops.

IDON MINE said:

I'm a bit late with thanks, but both Panther Burns and Guana Batz sound like perfect matches. that Crazy Cavan version also sounds cool! It's been a while since I listened to that band - so thanks for that ;)

Sean Law said:
      I seem to recall Panther Burns covering 'Jungle Fever'. (I think ?)
      The Guana Batz covered Orbison's 'You're My Baby' on their first LP ('Held Down To Vinyl.. At Last', ID Records 1985).
      The Cramps covered 'Problem Child', though it never went beyond the demo stage. It's available on various bootlegs.
      Crazy Cavan 'n' The Rhythm Rockers covered 'Tongue-Tied Jill'.
      All the above mentioned are from the Neo-Rockabilly side of things, no surprise there.
    • October 23, 2011 9:19 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Axel , I wanted to hear them do the growl in Finnish ! Oh , yeah. It's the same in any language. Carry on.

The Raw Cuts said:
    • October 23, 2011 9:14 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

IDON MINE , You have to understand (Well , know , you don't HAVE to , ha ha...) , my idea of "Current" means , in the last 30 years or so....I told someone today , I only see a few current movies a year , mainly cos so few of them look like they're worth it !

But , The Cramps were heavily influenced by Charlie Feathers , arguably moreso than Orbison.

They covered "I Can't Hardly Stand It" , "It's Just That Song" , and their version of "Tear It Up" was based of Feathers' arrangement , so that's sort of a Feathers cover....They probably did some others that were never released , or that they only did once or twice , live.

Hmmm...who else , The Stray Cats (No , I don't like 'em no more.) did "One Hand Loose".

Bloodshot Bill did some of Charlie Feathers' songs. I forget , now , because practiaclly all his stuff sounds like Charlie Feathers. I think '68 Comeback did "Uh - Huh Honey" and maybe "Tongue - Tied Jill" , but , I'd have to double check...

The Gibson Bros. did "Chicken Hearted" , Creedence Clearwater Revival did "Ooby Dooby" , The Blasters did "Go! Go! Go!" , Rev. Horton Heat and Los Straitjackets did "Move on Down The Line " (Jerry Lee's version of the same song.)......There are others , I'm justdrawing a blank. I'll think about it , though.

• October 21, 2011 2:49 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 21, 2011 11:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• October 12, 2011 6:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks man! Very cool.

That sounds great, I'll have to look that one up - just flying over it, the CHEATER SLICKS, BLOODSHOT BILL, HAUNTED GEORGE, DEMON's CLAWS contributions make me quite excited for this one.

kopper said:

I don't know if you ever caught wind of this, IDON, but Telephone Explosion Records put out a great Roy Orbison tribute LP in January of 2010 called Our Boy Roy... check out the track list:

A Side:
      5. Holy Cobras - Domino 

B Side:

WWW.TELEPHONEEXPLOSION.COM

Here for the stir

• October 12, 2011 5:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I'm a bit late with thanks, but both Panther Burns and Guana Batz sound like perfect matches. that Crazy Cavan version also sounds cool! It's been a while since I listened to that band - so thanks for that ;)

Sean Law said:
      The Guana Batz covered Orbison's 'You're My Baby' on their first LP ('Held Down To Vinyl.. At Last', ID Records 1985).
      The Cramps covered 'Problem Child', though it never went beyond the demo stage. It's available on various bootlegs.
      All the above mentioned are from the Neo-Rockabilly side of things, no surprise there.

Here for the stir

• October 12, 2011 1:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't know if you ever caught wind of this, IDON, but Telephone Explosion Records put out a great Roy Orbison tribute LP in January of 2010 called Our Boy Roy... check out the track list:

A Side:
      5. Holy Cobras - Domino 

B Side:

WWW.TELEPHONEEXPLOSION.COM

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• May 8, 2009 2:45 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• May 7, 2009 1:55 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks for that! I'll comb the shelves for it, I guess it's one to have anyway... wish me luck! Dead Boy said:
      The Nomads covered "Jungle Fever" of Feathers on their 2nd album "Hardware". It's a good version, but the LP is out of print.
      http://www.thenomads.se/hardware.htm

Here for the stir

• May 7, 2009 9:11 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Nomads covered "Jungle Fever" of Feathers on their 2nd album "Hardware". It's a good version, but the LP is out of print. http://www.thenomads.se/hardware.htm

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel