Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Needing help getting into playing 60s Garage Rock on the Organ..

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 11, 2009 11:13 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Hey Ho,

I am listening to Psychedelic Rock and Garage Punk since the beginning of my conscious life (at least it seems like it) but sadly never learnt to play an instrument properly. But that should change now. I am able to play basic chords on the guitar and on the keys and got my hands on a nice combo organ and want to start playing all my fav. Nuggets/Pebbles out there, but how to start??? I'm really bad in hearing notes/chords from records and I haven't found anything on the net yet. Are there any Organ players out here who can give some helpful tips about how to get going? Especially playing technique explanations typical for garage rock would be great.

Aloha
    • March 21, 2012 10:42 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I bought How to Play Rock and Roll Combo Organ off ebay and it taught me a lot. It's too bad that book is so hard to find.

The main thing is to learn inversions. For example, both the E chord (E, G#, B) and the A chord (A, C#, E) share a note so why completely move your hand. From E, just move the G# to A and the B to C# and wham!... you're at an A chord. Learning inversions allows you to play fast and keep up with the guitar.

• March 17, 2012 6:34 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

dying slowly said:

Two points:

1)any one know any cheap organs.

2)can any one post how to play some songs;96 tears, liar liar, and some similar organ parts.

To be fair, for any one wondering Dirty water is just;D,G,C,B (triads, note B is quite complex cause the layout of the keys means a standerd triad is Bm diminished).

Also the basis for 96 tears is a C7 chord (C with a Bflat added at the high end) and G

• April 21, 2009 7:11 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

i started playing guitar first then got tired of looking for an organ player. so i bought one and learned some chords. it`s actually pretty easy. there is no "right way" just keep practicing. Lightning Boy said:
      Thanks definately a great song, I'll try to get a feeling for that riff on the organ. Are there any organ players here in the group who started without any teacher/mentor?
    • April 14, 2009 8:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Thanks definately a great song, I'll try to get a feeling for that riff on the organ. Are there any organ players here in the group who started without any teacher/mentor?
    • April 12, 2009 4:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

start with your basic three finger C chord and move it up and down the keyboard for different notes as your starting note and that should suffice for most of the classic garage rock organ songs you'll want to play. learn classic riffs like 96 Tears and you'll definitely be set.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel