Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Best of 2008-lps

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 16, 2009 5:02 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Alright, I like Kopper's idea of the record review forum, so I'll be brave and start out with my best of 2008 list of lps (and give a little blurb--beware, I suck at writing about music--BUT I do enjoy sharing what I like). My top 11 of the year: 11) Dirtbombs We Have You Surrounded A guess a lot of people didn't like this. But I love it. It's fuzzy...and sounds like the Dirtbombs. Lyrics are very dystopian. I've heard the song "Wreck my Flow" sounds like Billy Joel, but I still like it (it sounds like a disco song with two drummers and fuzz). The song "Ever Lovin' Man" is one of the best of the year. 10)The Feeling of Love petite tu es un hit A pair of French dudes make a lot of noise while borrowing the title of a Jon Spencer Blues Explosion song. Bluesy and loud like good (older)JSBX. It's hard to understand what they're singing about, but they seem to yell "pussy" and cursewords in every song. 9)Pierced Arrows Straight to the Heart From the ashes of Dead Moon comes this great band and this great record. If you like Dead Moon, you'll like this (how's that for a lazy review?). 8) Goodnight Loving S/T Reminds me of a not as good Deadly Snakes (that's praise). Great songwriting. Thick sound. 7) Brimstone Howl We Came in Peace Gun Club meets Yardbirds garage guitar beautification. Another one with dystopian lyrics with great delivery. 6)Eddy Current Suppression Ring Primary Colours Great record from Australia.Songs seem simple, but they're not. Songs seem thin, but they're thick. Some songs remind me of the Modern Lovers, some have a Stooges vibe. Some songs sound like Telelvision. Great record. 5) Digger and the Pussycats Let's Go to the Hospital Another two piece. Another Australian band. Stripped down rock and roll. Songs taken to their basic essentials. Lyrics are observant as hell. Not as raw sounding as their other lps. 4) Livefastdie Shit Amplified/By the time these flowers die Killed by death/GG Allin inspired shredding. Side one is a live show featuring live versions of all of the livefastdie hits. Side two is the real winner. Loud KBD inspired country songs. 3) Gentleman Jesse and His Men S/T For lovers of power pop (that's me, motherfucker). If you like the Nerves or the Beat, you'll dig this. 2) Nobunny Love Visions These songs don't leave your head after a listen or two. Garage-punk pop gems. The kids beg to hear these songs and sing along and hug a big half naked bunny. An all time classic album...it was hard to put this at #2. 1) The Dutchess and the Duke She's the Dutchess, He's the Duke Another 2-piece. Folk music from some (previous) purveyors of low-fi budget rock (fee fi fo fums, flying dutchmen). Stark, sad, (sometimes happy) songs with perfect male female harmonies. This is an all-time classic album. In closing, I suck at writing about music...that's my list. What's yours? Here's a link to my radio show that has my best of 2008: If you're interested, download the file and fastforward past the first 7 minutes of Spanish music.
    • January 21, 2009 5:30 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Rinjo Njori said:
      Gentlemen Jesse is out on the road with Paul Collins in North America.
      That is a natural pairing. I was disappointed with the last Paul Collins lp. He should have listened to Gentleman Jesse for some songwriting tips.
    • January 21, 2009 12:25 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Gentlemen Jesse is out on the road with Paul Collins in North America.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel