Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any other garage/punk/R'n'R forums out there?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 10, 2009 7:40 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Anybody know of any other good forums out there for garage/rock'n'roll/punk/surf etc, this one is a little quiet, maybe there's some other forums worth checking out?
      lemme know cheers!
    • September 1, 2009 11:21 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Because Internet Explorer sucks. Always has, always will. Get a different browser. I hear people really like Google Chrome. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      But why would that interfer with my typing in the "Reply To This" window? I don't have trouble leaving comments on other websites.

kopper said:
      Internet Explorer? Yep, that's your first mistake.

Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      See...I really don't know things like that. I have Internet explorer, Windows XP (I'm talking over my own head).

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• September 1, 2009 4:33 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

VarmentPoontang said:
      I've been active on a few other forums and I rilly dig the look and function of this one. I am trying to turn on every old punk in KC on to it. I don't know how many members we have here but just sayin . Lovin it so far. Cool, kids.
      try the butthole surfers forum
    • September 1, 2009 1:49 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

But why would that interfer with my typing in the "Reply To This" window? I don't have trouble leaving comments on other websites. kopper said:

See...I really don't know things like that. I have Internet explorer, Windows XP (I'm talking over my own head).
    • August 31, 2009 11:31 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kopper said:

See...I really don't know things like that. I have Internet explorer, Windows XP (I'm talking over my own head).Firefox is a easy install, go for it.
    • August 31, 2009 11:30 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I've been active on a few other forums and I rilly dig the look and function of this one. I am trying to turn on every old punk in KC on to it. I don't know how many members we have here but just sayin . Lovin it so far. Cool, kids.
    • August 31, 2009 11:28 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Internet Explorer? Yep, that's your first mistake. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:

• August 31, 2009 10:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• August 31, 2009 3:16 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Sounds like a browser issue to me... Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      But I'm having troubles with the reply section. Do I talk to Ning about that. The scrawl bar keeps bouncing back up to the top, and once I get passed 14 lines (not 7 like I thought) I no longer can see what I'm typing because it's all below the window. And being the worst typest, I HAVE to see what I'm typing otherwise there are tons of typos.

• August 31, 2009 12:44 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I don't have any web or tech knowledge so I don't know who beats out who. But anyway, I didn't think anyone would rip off your old designs and all your ideas just because they didn't want to join this new thing which is better, like you say. I only noticed today that you had nothing to do with it. But I'm having troubles with the reply section. Do I talk to Ning about that. The scrawl bar keeps bouncing back up to the top, and once I get passed 14 lines (not 7 like I thought) I no longer can see what I'm typing because it's all below the window. And being the worst typest, I HAVE to see what I'm typing otherwise there are tons of typos. kopper said:
      Why would I set up a lame-ass proboards forum when we have this? Ning beats the snot out of proboards and phpBB combined.

I didn't realize that you had nothing to do with this proboards thing. But I noticed that a bunch of past users from then were signed up for that. Yeah I had to re-register. Someone here had brought it to our attention so I thought why not....

I do have one problem here, though. Once I get passed a number of lines when typing (like 7 or more) the scrawl bar on the side starts bouncing around back toward the top and I can't see what I'm typing because it's all below the window. With my luck, I'm probably the only one with that problem.

kopper said:

That other forum that ripped off everything from my original board does not use the same databases for content, so no, none of your old posts will be there nor will your same username or any of that stuff. Basically, it's a pretty lame copy of the original. The Hideout, on the other hand, is the old Forums taken to the next level (and done at a time when it was ahead of the game in that regard... when the Forum was in serious decline and social networking sites like MySpace and Facebook were on the rise), and I think those of us that are here and actually use it realize that.

kopper
    • August 30, 2009 9:48 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Why would I set up a lame-ass proboards forum when we have this? Ning beats the snot out of proboards and phpBB combined. Rockin Rod Strychnine said:
      I didn't realize that you had nothing to do with this proboards thing. But I noticed that a bunch of past users from then were signed up for that. Yeah I had to re-register. Someone here had brought it to our attention so I thought why not....

I do have one problem here, though. Once I get passed a number of lines when typing (like 7 or more) the scrawl bar on the side starts bouncing around back toward the top and I can't see what I'm typing because it's all below the window. With my luck, I'm probably the only one with that problem.

kopper said:

That other forum that ripped off everything from my original board does not use the same databases for content, so no, none of your old posts will be there nor will your same username or any of that stuff. Basically, it's a pretty lame copy of the original. The Hideout, on the other hand, is the old Forums taken to the next level (and done at a time when it was ahead of the game in that regard... when the Forum was in serious decline and social networking sites like MySpace and Facebook were on the rise), and I think those of us that are here and actually use it realize that.

kopper

• August 30, 2009 9:24 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Isn't this a forum, I'm just sayin.

• August 30, 2009 1:36 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I didn't realize that you had nothing to do with this proboards thing. But I noticed that a bunch of past users from then were signed up for that. Yeah I had to re-register. Someone here had brought it to our attention so I thought why not.... I do have one problem here, though. Once I get passed a number of lines when typing (like 7 or more) the scrawl bar on the side starts bouncing around back toward the top and I can't see what I'm typing because it's all below the window. With my luck, I'm probably the only one with that problem. kopper said:

kopper
    • August 30, 2009 12:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I block all Facebook applications, most of them are dumb as hell and annoying on top of it. And I rarely ever post something to my wall, unless it's an article or video that automatically gets shared via FriendFeed, which pulls stuff from videos I favorite on YouTube and some other stuff. But I've noticed that, in general, the older I get, the less "social networking" I'm really interested in doing. I'm spending less and less time on Twitter lately, too, which I've noticed has resulted in a dramatic decrease in spam followers, which is nice. By the way... the logo of the old GaragePunk Forums was the Voxmobile, not some remote-control car. It's a REAL car designed by famous '60s hot rod maker, George Barris. I chose that for the logo for the Forums because it combined two of my favorite passions: garage rock and kustom hot rods. For some recent news about the Voxmobile, check this out. That other forum that ripped off everything from my original board does not use the same databases for content, so no, none of your old posts will be there nor will your same username or any of that stuff. Basically, it's a pretty lame copy of the original. The Hideout, on the other hand, is the old Forums taken to the next level (and done at a time when it was ahead of the game in that regard... when the Forum was in serious decline and social networking sites like MySpace and Facebook were on the rise), and I think those of us that are here and actually use it realize that. kopper Wipeout! said:
      Andy Seven said:
      I was on Facebook for twenty minutes - I signed up and then the questionnaires began, tons of questionnaires. Oh my God, my head hurt, all those stupid questions. I had a minor freak out and got off the stupid site. I honestly don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Funny how the shit bottle spins around and occasionally yer suckin' face with yerself...yes, I broke down and joined the dreaded FACEBOOK a few weeks back...mostly to stalk my g/f and self promote the fuck outta my projects...I ignore 90% of others postings and the like...and I've realized Facebook is the new fuct...long live TWITTER!

• August 30, 2009 9:57 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Andy Seven said:
      I was on Facebook for twenty minutes - I signed up and then the questionnaires began, tons of questionnaires. Oh my God, my head hurt, all those stupid questions. I had a minor freak out and got off the stupid site. I honestly don't feel like I'm missing anything.
      Funny how the shit bottle spins around and occasionally yer suckin' face with yerself...yes, I broke down and joined the dreaded FACEBOOK a few weeks back...mostly to stalk my g/f and self promote the fuck outta my projects...I ignore 90% of others postings and the like...and I've realized Facebook is the new fuct...long live TWITTER!
    • August 30, 2009 1:16 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well, it looks like you can get the best of both worlds. Be in the hideout AND visit the old school forum.... http://garagepunk.proboards.com/index.cgi? I'm mostly doing the Hideout and myspace (I too have no need for facebook) but if I have that weird obscure question concerning Baby Huey and the Babysitters, I'll go to the proboards for that.
    • August 30, 2009 1:00 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think I was a member of the old garage punk forum.....I believe they had separate threads....new sounds (revival groups), the old sounds (sonics, remains ect) and many more? There was that remote control car looking logo thing? Am I right??? Maybe I am thinking of another forum but that one was a good one with all kinds of cool posts. I will occasionally hit up G45 central or It's Psych. Facebook and Myspace can be rough going for me....on these sites people have to post pictures of everything they do...whether it be going to Wal-Mart, showing off tramp stamps or taking a shit - I feel it makes my world way too small and this doesn't really do anything for me, privacy can be a good thing you know. I like the fact that people can share mp3's and post the occasional picture on this forum, that's definitely nice but once again the tattoo pictures or band promotions become overkill. I'd rather just chat to be honest. But overall a very good forum this is, fun stuff.
    • August 29, 2009 8:53 PM CDT
    • Untitled

Wipeout! said:
      Point well taken, Kopper.
      I just get the impression that the garagepunk world is shrinking...like I said, I live in the South and there ain't shit to talk about, garagepunk-wise, in my neck o' the woods. (One of the main reasons I'm franticly tryin' to get my band together!) I'm on MySpace and here, but I refuse to join Facebook (for reasons I don't care to get into here), so I have no clue as to the discussions on that site.
    • August 24, 2009 2:34 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ning is fucking cool. I personally enjoy using it both as an admin and a peon (although admittedly I have done a pissweak job at finding any willing members for our community). For the dissenters in the thread I have located some gifts/necessities on the Internet.

Hope this helps. :D
    • August 23, 2009 3:20 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

That's the only thing that bothers me the new hideout. I don't know if there's anybody willing to help me out with a question about Gary Lewis and the Playboys if I need an answer. I lost my internet access at home for a while and had to go to the library for all my surfing. and I only had an hour each day. But I now have more time here since I got access again. But a lot has changed. Yahoo's launchcast for instance. I preferred that over last.fm and Pandora but they're the closest things right now. But I got off the subject. A lot of those sixties experts aren't particularly interested in joining the Hideout and that's a shame as they were a wealth of info. But that's our only loss really. But someone posted a link to something that resembles the old board. I might try that from time to time. Does my old account count toward that or do I have to start over? troggy said:
      Wipeout! said:
      ...startin' to believe garagepunkers on the whole don't like social networks (at least usin' 'em fer real...not just lurkin')

There's at least some truth to this. Several key contributors from the old Psychotic Reactions board never even signed up here.
    • May 4, 2009 4:06 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ah, I see now (see, it always helps to use the quoting feature). Thanks for that. And yeah, Zappos is pretty amazing with their overnight shipping. kopper Hank Cockpit said:
      kopper said:
      Huh? What're you yappin' about?

Hank Cockpit said:
      Oh man Kopper, would you provide overnight shipping? I ordered a pair of shoes there once at like 7:30pm and they were on my door step at 9am the next morning.

This:

"If I thought I could make enough money to live off of, I'd totally quit my job, rent a warehouse, set an online store up here, and make GaragePunk.com the Zappos of Rock'n'Roll."

• May 3, 2009 10:50 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kopper said:
      Huh? What're you yappin' about?

Hank Cockpit said:
      Oh man Kopper, would you provide overnight shipping? I ordered a pair of shoes there once at like 7:30pm and they were on my door step at 9am the next morning.
      This: "If I thought I could make enough money to live off of, I'd totally quit my job, rent a warehouse, set an online store up here, and make GaragePunk.com the Zappos of Rock'n'Roll."
    • May 3, 2009 6:38 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

"Go IX! GO!" ixnayray said:
      Well i've just read through all this and i have to admit... i'm slightly puzzled. Why the hell would anyone WANT to go anywhere else? Through looking at some of the profiles on here we're all obviously on the same page. The podcasts are the best i've heard on ANY website, and when chatting to the folks on here i've noticed that everyone has a great sense of humour and plenty of enthusiasm.

The only stumbling block is clearly how anti-social everyone is. Even if it was someones actual job to post topics for discussion, that doesn't necessarily mean people are going to join in. And thats a damn shame. I'm slightly guilty as i have never started a topic myself... but i'm always keen to chat when anyone signs in. I've noticed there's a bit of activity chat-wise, on peoples individual profile pages but that's not good enough.

A lot of hard work has clearly been done building this site and there are new people joining up all the time. Just a shame it doesn't get used as much as it should.

I'm just curious, but if i started a general discussion every day next week, I wonder what kind of response it would get... in fact, fuck it, thats exactly what i'm gonna do.

Here for the stir

• May 3, 2009 6:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

HAW! Thanks guys, I'm just a flake and you know it! Michael Kaiser said:
      kopper said:
      Wow, now that's a refreshing perspective!

He's a very sharp individual!

Here for the stir

• May 3, 2009 5:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kopper said:
      Wow, now that's a refreshing perspective!

He's a very sharp individual!

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel