Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Any other garage/punk/R'n'R forums out there?

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • May 3, 2009 5:32 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Well i've just read through all this and i have to admit... i'm slightly puzzled. Why the hell would anyone WANT to go anywhere else? Through looking at some of the profiles on here we're all obviously on the same page. The podcasts are the best i've heard on ANY website, and when chatting to the folks on here i've noticed that everyone has a great sense of humour and plenty of enthusiasm.

The only stumbling block is clearly how anti-social everyone is. Even if it was someones actual job to post topics for discussion, that doesn't necessarily mean people are going to join in. And thats a damn shame. I'm slightly guilty as i have never started a topic myself... but i'm always keen to chat when anyone signs in. I've noticed there's a bit of activity chat-wise, on peoples individual profile pages but that's not good enough.

A lot of hard work has clearly been done building this site and there are new people joining up all the time. Just a shame it doesn't get used as much as it should.

I'm just curious, but if i started a general discussion every day next week, I wonder what kind of response it would get... in fact, fuck it, thats exactly what i'm gonna do.
    • May 3, 2009 4:39 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

this forum covers all sorts of music - and is open to all - not specific to garage/rock'n'roll/punk/surf - but people who use it like that kind of thing - amongst many other things. It can be found here: http://oddboxrecords.com/talentvampire/
    • May 3, 2009 3:20 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Huh? What're you yappin' about? Hank Cockpit said:
      Oh man Kopper, would you provide overnight shipping? I ordered a pair of shoes there once at like 7:30pm and they were on my door step at 9am the next morning.

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• May 3, 2009 2:08 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Oh man Kopper, would you provide overnight shipping? I ordered a pair of shoes there once at like 7:30pm and they were on my door step at 9am the next morning.
    • May 2, 2009 11:53 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow, now that's a refreshing perspective! IDON MINE said:
      Goshdarn, I love this place!

I hate the look of ancient internet formus (NOT speaking of the old GP forums - I've never been there...YIKES!) and also crap like Myspace, (sorrysorrySORRY!) or Facebook.
      I'd love to see the many GP bands that are on Myspace come here and use this. Because the Hideout just rings me up as something different than most a those sites and a crazy good amalgam of all things the internet can serve as.
      It took me a while myself to get in on it but it's just a lot of fun. And yes that's a reason for me to stick around.

I love the "social network" frame on here to view pics, video and music directly by the bands or DJ's or dancers or whoever. As well as a tie in to all the other things people got going. Tourdates, trading, new records, podcasts of course... bring it on! The whole thing's working fine for me - and just for the record: All the different groups do too!

Like many on this thread here said: Use the blues or loose the blues ;) Not that I have been to busy here either...BLEH!

• May 2, 2009 4:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Goshdarn, I love this place!

I hate the look of ancient internet formus (NOT speaking of the old GP forums - I've never been there...YIKES!) and also crap like Myspace, (sorrysorrySORRY!) or Facebook.
      I'd love to see the many GP bands that are on Myspace come here and use this. Because the Hideout just rings me up as something different than most a those sites and a crazy good amalgam of all things the internet can serve as.
      It took me a while myself to get in on it but it's just a lot of fun. And yes that's a reason for me to stick around.

I love the "social network" frame on here to view pics, video and music directly by the bands or DJ's or dancers or whoever. As well as a tie in to all the other things people got going. Tourdates, trading, new records, podcasts of course... bring it on! The whole thing's working fine for me - and just for the record: All the different groups do too!

Like many on this thread here said: Use the blues or loose the blues ;) Not that I have been to busy here either...BLEH!

Here for the stir

• May 1, 2009 3:23 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Uhm, I mean this forum. This here.
    • May 1, 2009 3:22 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I think I'll try this.
    • April 25, 2009 9:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Guess I should post this, since I bet many of you don't even realize it exists! http://groups.google.com/group/garagepunk Yep, an old-fashioned Bomp-list/Banana-Truffle-style email list/newsgroup. Join it if you care to. Cheers, kopper

• April 11, 2009 5:12 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wipeout! said:
      ...startin' to believe garagepunkers on the whole don't like social networks (at least usin' 'em fer real...not just lurkin')
      There's at least some truth to this. Several key contributors from the old Psychotic Reactions board never even signed up here.
    • April 11, 2009 2:15 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

troggy said:
      I agree this place isn't a patch on the old forums for info. In fact, there's absolutely no debate about it. That's the one thing I really miss. I mean, I like being able to come here and add songs to my jukebox and look around a bit but the amount of discourse, sharing of info and music was far greater on the old board.

This site has been around for what, about two years now? I just don't think the amount of participation here is gonna get much greater than it is right now. Sad but true.
      Now I'm wonderin' again if the ol' forum info (aka threads that had real info of use) could be brought back from the dead (this is definitely Kopper's area of knowledge)...even if possible I bet it'd be a herculian task to host all that shit somewhere on this site. ...startin' to believe garagepunkers on the whole don't like social networks (at least usin' 'em fer real...not just lurkin')
    • April 11, 2009 12:03 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I agree this place isn't a patch on the old forums for info. In fact, there's absolutely no debate about it. That's the one thing I really miss. I mean, I like being able to come here and add songs to my jukebox and look around a bit but the amount of discourse, sharing of info and music was far greater on the old board.

This site has been around for what, about two years now? I just don't think the amount of participation here is gonna get much greater than it is right now. Sad but true.
    • March 7, 2009 9:27 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Now all this bitchin' has me wantin' a brew too! P.s. Join Twitter ...let's make a go at a hostile GaragePunk takeover of that site, huh?
    • March 7, 2009 9:13 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok well said, I wont say any more on this subject, I just get a little grumpy if I dont get my pint of fine english ale in the evening. Cheers, (raises his pint of old speckled hen in the air)
    • March 6, 2009 7:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

The Branded said:
      kopper said:
      This is what we've got. Use it or don't. Thanks.
      Well thats the point I am trying to use it, but all these different forum groups is it really needed? some dont see any action for weeks or months, it could be simplified a bit into just 4 or 5 groups, its way too much right now. Just trying to help dude.
      Look, I can't help it if no one posts to the group forums. The groups were set up originally in a way that resembled or mirrored the old GP Forums, giving people a way to post about regional stuff as well as have groups for the various different eras of rock'n'roll. Since Ning added the Events section, I've noticed a drop-off in the amount of activity in the regional groups, which is to be expected, but they still get used occasionally and I'd rather have them here than NOT have them. And the number of our groups is actually quite small when you compare this network with Myspace or Facebook, which have a ton dedicated to certain bands, styles of music, you name it. Again, if the groups aren't for you then don't use them. It's as simple as that. *This* forum is a great general discussion area that people can use if they don't want to bother with the groups. What everyone always seems to forget about the old GaragePunk Forums phpBB board was that over the last year of that thing, hardly anyone was using it! Activity on that board dropped considerably as people jumped onto Myspace and posted on the Goner board or elsewhere. Everyone was spread out too thin. The Hideout has actually helped bring people BACK to this site (as well as attract a lot of new members) and the funny thing is I never hear any of them complain about this forum not being as nifty as that one or whatever. They're just happy this thing exists at all.

• March 6, 2009 7:05 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

kopper said:
      Well thats the point I am trying to use it, but all these different forum groups is it really needed? some dont see any action for weeks or months, it could be simplified a bit into just 4 or 5 groups, its way too much right now. Just trying to help dude.
    • March 5, 2009 7:56 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I am very new here but this site looks super cool, I plan to blab away and hopefully inspire others to do the same. There is a lot to learn especially about the very old obscure garage music. I sense a real happnin vibe here ! These podcasts are simply insane! Dig it baby! Derk Von, The Vonz kopper said:
    • March 5, 2009 12:04 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

• March 5, 2009 11:22 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

brotherkyle said:
      I miss the garagepunk forums as well. Huge wealth of information on there. I learned a lot from it. I hate these social networking sites.
      Its kinda what I was thinking, this site is great,but sometimes you just want to see who's playing what records are out and general stuff easily without trying to negotiate a maze, sometimes simple is best, its the garage way!
    • January 16, 2009 4:13 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I used to post regularly on the old garagepunk forums, but I don't use this hideout as much due to the fact that it gets blocked at work. I also dislike the way the messages are set up--too haphazard and cofusing, and Kopper, if you can get a circa 2002 "old school" looking bulletin board, I'd be more likely to post and participate. It seems like the bulletin board type message board gets past my work's filter. I really miss the old message board...it was a very inviting place.
      In terms of other "garage punk" forums out there :I go on the goner records board, but that seems like a smaller, more insular group. The terminal boredom message board is ok, as well...but the musical tastes on that board generally span beyond the garage-punk type music I prefer.
    • January 16, 2009 12:52 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Go crazy: http://garagepunk.ning.com/group/recordreviews Sumiji said:
      kopper said:
      Sumiji said:
      Hey Kopper,
      You know I would love to see more discussion on this network just because I hate searchin through the webfor countless hours looking for garage shit. I believe I recall a while ago someone mentioned about doing record reviews for GP. I think that a would be great for non stop discussion. Will that ever happen?

Well, there are a couple of ways we can do this, Sumiji. We can set up a separate group for record reviews, then there'd be one place to go to read what people are saying about any particular release (and anyone could review anything they wanted). OR people can just post the reviews in the blog section of their pages... there are a lot of "review blogs" on the Web, why not have some here on the Hideout?

Dude definitely I feel we should open a group for all to chime in. I'll definitely contribute. Whatll yall think blog or group?

• January 16, 2009 12:34 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

right on *hi-five* Kopper! I gots warehouse experience... kopper said:
      Joenzy said:
      Not to take away from this forum but Goner records has a great forum...
      and a cool website. and a great place to order amazing records.
      Pigmeat said:
      Lets not forget what a useful forum this is for picking up on new sounds... I personaly read alot more of the forum than I post on... Just to get some juicy bands to pick up... I don't think theirs another forum on the web thats as good fer that!

If I thought I could make enough money to live off of, I'd totally quit my job, rent a warehouse, set an online store up here, and make GaragePunk.com the Zappos of Rock'n'Roll.
    • January 16, 2009 12:21 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Joenzy said:
      Not to take away from this forum but Goner records has a great forum...
      and a cool website. and a great place to order amazing records.
      Pigmeat said:
      Lets not forget what a useful forum this is for picking up on new sounds... I personaly read alot more of the forum than I post on... Just to get some juicy bands to pick up... I don't think theirs another forum on the web thats as good fer that!
      If I thought I could make enough money to live off of, I'd totally quit my job, rent a warehouse, set an online store up here, and make GaragePunk.com the Zappos of Rock'n'Roll.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel