Please login or join to use the Hideout!

Forums Rants 'n' Raves Shakin' Street
  • Topic: Punk blues might be dead.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • April 22, 2011 10:30 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

oh yeah Jim Jones is awesome! we played a show with them in Hollywood and they were awesome!
    • April 22, 2011 10:19 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hey! Thanx for the heads up. Im-a go check 'em out. If we hear of anything cool  we'll post it as well. Its definielty a genre that could  use a little fire under it. Such a great combo Punk and Blues. Makes for some cool interesting music with vibe and  sonic bliss. Hopefully more bands out there will explore and create their own versions of songs or write their own in that vein. know of any  good comps for Punk  Blues that you could recommend?

• April 20, 2011 5:04 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Not dead.  Sleepin'.
    • April 20, 2011 2:37 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Agreed: there are a lot of bluespunk bands slithering around out there, they are just not at the top of the heap these days and don't get a lot of attention (unless you're talking White Stripes, Black Keys, etc.) Has anybody heard of The Immortal Lee County Killers II from Alabama? I play in a bluespunk two-piece called Las Drogas (based out of Ypsilanti, MI - near Ann Arbor and Detroit) We play a mixture of garage, blues, rockabilly, 50s/60s rock, punk. www.myspace.com/lasdrogasrock http://www.facebook.com/pages/Las-Drogas/136540006382577 Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MwOsTEsmLU Jon Spencer Blues Explosion had some good stuff, so did Fat Possum Records
    • April 20, 2011 1:46 PM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

And... 24 Brothers at www.myspace.com/twentyfourbrothers is still around from sweden!

Fuzzed, fucked up & forty... www.facebook.com/zorchproductions

• April 20, 2011 7:23 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Wow, that post was over two years old, Alex!

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• April 20, 2011 6:12 AM CDT
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        1 0

Untitled

Check out Mottey's Garage on realpunkradio.com .  He does his usual punk and garage shows, but each month, he also does a punk blues show.
    • January 14, 2009 12:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Gotta take a minute to toot my horn for St. Louis punk blues here: Casey Reid - Cephalclog Casey Reid writes songs with wisdom that flutters beyond description and "Cephalclog" is his masterpiece. His lyrics are inspired and his guitar playing unique, floating between delta-driven fingerpicking and a full-fledged assault on the strings that is as beautiful as it is furious. With an array of orchestral accompaniment - ranging from weeping cello to pounding junkyard percussion - Reid's powerful and ghastly voice slams through blues epics and folkie barn-burners with a heartfelt sincerity that is truly hard to find and a style impossible to match. www.myspace.com/caseyreid This band is great, too: Rum Drum Ramblers - Hey Lordy Mama Mama Get Up & Go If you like punk and dig the blues, then this album is for you. The guitar bends, hisses and howls in ways that would make Johnny Thunders' knees weak. The harmonica conjures up the sound assault of Jimmy Page just as much as the bob and weave juke-joint shuffle of Little Walter. And the bass - well, this guy is one of the best and that's all there is to it. The rhythm is a contagious stomp clank and the performance is a raw slop of beauty tinged blues destruction. All originals, all instant classics. www.myspace.com/rumdrumramblers There's also Pokey LaFarge: Pokey LaFarge - Beat, Move, and Shake Armed with Charlie Chaplin charm and Shakespearian insight, Pokey LaFarge weaves 12 timeless originals into the fabric of Americana. Calling upon the soul of Ray Charles just as much as the imagery of Townes van Zandt, "Beat, Move, and Shake" creates a delightful blend of quirky pop and delta-meets-appalachia country blues. Backed by an unfaltering beat on an upright bass, Pokey picks at his guitar and lets his voice float freely in an album whose title will prove to be it's best description. You can get this stuff from St. Louis' own Big Muddy Records (and I recommend you do!).

"Go read a book and flunk a test." -Iggy

• January 13, 2009 10:51 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I recommend the Bonnevilles too. I shared a bill with them in December and they were bone-crushingly good. People living in Northern Ireland still know the meaning of blues. Plus they played an absolutely decimating version of Death Letter.

Plus, they're really nice fellahs.
    • January 9, 2009 1:26 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Have a listen to The Bonnevilles and other stuff on the Motorsounds label.
    • December 18, 2008 12:23 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

hey babe... check out blackbone church by sede drunk blues punk duo twentyfourbrothers on our page or at www.myspace.com/twentyfourbrothers cheers / tobba

Fuzzed, fucked up & forty... www.facebook.com/zorchproductions

• December 18, 2008 12:22 PM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I checked out the Hartes and they do INDEED rock my socks!
    • December 18, 2008 11:00 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

www.myspace.com/thehussyknowsall 3 7 inches are on the way. One Split 7 inch on Science of Sound Records with our friends Sleeping in the Aviary One on A Fistful of Records in the Netherlands - That's going to be a 6-8 song EP! Another Split 7 inch on Tax Return Records, with our friend Rocktopus. This is the first release on this label!
    • December 17, 2008 4:58 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

my old band did a couple of London gigs with a two-piece called the Hartes, they were fuckin intense, but I think they've split up now. either way, worth a listen: www.myspace.com/thehartes Joey Vacant The Crushers
    • December 16, 2008 12:34 AM CST
      • Post(s)
      • Like(s)
      • Liked
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Check out Edison Rocket Train. It's a creature of journalist/rocker Mike Edison, (who earlier this year released a hilarious spoken-word album called I Have Fun Everywhere I Go (featuring blues/punk/techno backgrounds produced by one Jon Spencer) If you're on eMusic, they've got ERT's Yes!Yes!!Yes!!!, which might be what yer looking for.

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel